Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
How's We Never Learn doing on that site that tracks how well volumes are selling by the day? Forgot the name of the site
 

ruggia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2008
Messages
877
Reaction score
1,080
Gender
Male
Country
South Korea
Is HZ ending for real? At this point I feel like it's ending is a meme.
I guess never say never to a WSJ series, but I'd be surprised if the current fight isn't the last one.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Is HZ ending for real? At this point I feel like it's ending is a meme.
yes it's in the last match of the tournament

Tokyo Ghoul seems like a pretty mature series to me.
I only read the first TG and dropped re very early on

from my experience it's a normal battle manga with a battle system and everything

there are the annoying cliche "I'm angry which makes me more powerful" "mc have secret dark power" "everyone lives revolve around the mc actions" and "let's save our nakama" token arc

it's just more edgy than usual battle manga

How's We Never Learn doing on that site that tracks how well volumes are selling by the day? Forgot the name of the site
shoseki have not updated yet
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
yes it's in the last match of the tournament
I guess never say never to a WSJ series, but I'd be surprised if the current fight isn't the last one.
Oh. I never had hopes for it to take off, but some people were really excited for a possible anime. It's a shame!

I only read the first TG and dropped re very early on

from my experience it's a normal battle manga with a battle system and everything

there are the annoying cliche "I'm angry which makes me more powerful" "mc have secret dark power" "everyone lives revolve around the mc actions" and "let's save our nakama" token arc

it's just more edgy than usual battle manga
I disagree.
And while :re is more battle oriented, I would say the psychologial side of the manga is as notorious and importat. The mature themes it touches are really, really far from the likes of Akame ga Kill, Shingeki, Meme Punch, etc.
This isn't the thread to be talking about this though, so it's better if we leave it here.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Going by the latest chapter, it looks like Gintama's entered the final stretch of the final arc. There's probably not much left now, I expect it'll end before 2018 (unless Sorachi pulls some sudden huge new development out of nowhere).
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I disagree.
And while :re is more battle oriented, I would say the psychologial side of the manga is as notorious and importat. The mature themes it touches are really, really far from the likes of Akame ga Kill, Shingeki, Meme Punch, etc.
This isn't the thread to be talking about this though, so it's better if we leave it here.
I don't want to prolong this discussion either, but I mean what is the overall theme of the TG manga? what it's message? I never figured it out

what it means to grow up? relationships are complicated and filled with a lot of grey areas? the world is awful and everything is pointless?

just preaching and quoting books is not deep, it's pretentious

Going by the latest chapter, it looks like Gintama's entered the final stretch of the final arc. There's probably not much left now, I expect it'll end before 2018 (unless Sorachi pulls some sudden huge new development out of nowhere).
how many times did Gintama entered its last stretch by now? I lost count
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
HxH isn't a deconstruction but Tokyo Ghoul is deep and mature.
All right.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I enjoy Tokyo Ghoul. But I never got why people act like the series is super deep. From fans talking about how deep and hard to get it is, to youtubers making hour long videos trying to crack every new chapter like it's the Divinci Code.
This isn't really the place to discuss Tokyo Ghoul though
 
Last edited:

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
to be clear, I enjoy TG as a battle manga too, but not as some deep exploration of mental struggle or social commentary

and I can say the same exact thing about Neon Genesis Evangelion but let's not open this can of worms

to take control of this discussion and bring it back on topic

out of WSJ battle manga I think Dragon Quest: Dai no Daibouken does a great job in handling the characters' maturity/depth

out of its tons of characters, I can't think of a single character that stayed the same/one-note/didn't change during the entire manga run

Riku Sanjou being stuck with a series which is constantly on hiatus is a f***ing tragedy

but I guess Kamen Raider people must be happy about it tho

he's probably too old to write a new manga once Beet is done too, feels bad man
 

HIGAN0

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 18, 2016
Messages
743
Reaction score
1,880
Country
Eyrie
Shoseki ranking 6/2 :

1- My Hero Academia #14
2- Dragon Ball Super #03
5-Shuumatsu no Harem #03
8- Hinomaru Zumou #15
9- We Never Learn #01
10- Fire Punch #05
14- Hetalia World☆Stars #04
15- My Hero Academia Smash! #03
22- Food Fighter Tabelu #05
29- Route End #01
41- iShoujo+ #13
44- Poro no Ryuugakuki #01
53- Makui no Rease #02
85- Full Charge!! Kaden-chan #04
89- Inochi wo Waketa Kimi to, Jinsei Saigo no Yume wo Miru #01
90- U19 #01
94- Shuukyoku Engage #01
 
Last edited:

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Good start for WNL. If it keeps that up it'll get ~20k for it's first volume which is pretty good.

Route End also seems to be doing well for a new Plus series.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm surprised about Shuukyoku Engage sales, it always does very well in Plus rankings, I thought for sure it would do better than this
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Happy for WNL. Geeeez at Poro and U19
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
HOLY SHIT. That episode of BnHA......... i don't even know what to say.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
It was a fantastic episode. My only disappointment is that they omitted Todoroki's tears during the fight. The final clash looked incredible though.

EDIT: I've been told there were tears. I guess I just missed it.
 
Last edited:

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Good Lord that ep was something else. Been waiting 2 years for this and wasn't disappointed. Praise Bones
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Hero Academia is trending worldwide (in 2 different hashtags)

 

G_I_A

Banned
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2008
Messages
1,089
Reaction score
401
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
The episode was awesome but I disliked "you say run" playing. They should have used another ost for that.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
The episode was awesome but I disliked "you say run" playing. They should have used another ost for that.
That's actually something I've been annoyed by. 'You Say Run' is a good track, but I think they overuse it. I also don't think it quite fit the moment in this episode. There are other tracks on the OST that I think would have been better.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top