Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
It's also important to note that ratings aren't as important as they used to be with how many people would rather just stream online at their own time.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
The stain arc was the one that had more wall texts and long conversations hindering the battles, it was more philosophy than actual action as far as I can remember
Yeah, this is facts. My problem when I first read it. A lot of people love this arc and I get it why but this with the combination of Iida being an average character made it average to me overall. The anime was way more impactful to me though, shit was good as hell so can't be too mad at that.

Funny the higher rated episodes were the ones with new characters introduced, makes you think for the next arc.
 

SkerllyFC

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2016
Messages
261
Reaction score
106
Age
31
Country
Dominican Republic
Anoyone here who doesn´t like the Dark Tournament Arc in Yu Yu Hakusho? People say it´s the best tournament arc in shonen history, while I give that award to other shonen series instead. I still haven´t ended this arc, but my opinion about it is by now:
1-It´s dragging for more episodes than necessary
2- The are no interesting character arcs apart from Yusuke obtaining a new power(cuz it´s a common staple of shonen series), and even then, I didn´t find myself caring much about him since I knew he was gonna be alive and well.
3-At first there well legitimate stakes, with Yusuke having to fight Toguro out of obligation, or he was gonna be killed. 10+ episodes in the torunament, and now it seems those stakes are gone, and the tournament goes as well as you´d expect instead of having unexpected circumstances.
4-The fight look pretty samey apart from a few standouts

Or what do you think a tourney arc needs to be good in your opinion?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^The Dark Tournament arc stands out because it is the only good arc of YYH but taken as a whole I too wouldn't call it the best Tournament arc ever.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Dark Tournament arc was amazing from what I remember, it's the reason why Kurama became my favorite character over Yusuke after he went Demon Kurama. But the Chunnin Exams might be the best one imo, if it counts. Not only the action and the drama but the 3 phases being so different, playing off each other well while transitioning from phase to phase, scene to scene puts it on top.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I agree, I think the Chuunin exam was Naruto apex and the best tournament arc I've read. I don't remember any better than it. In both anime and manga I find myself more excited than ever for all the developments, this is the only part in Naruto that I would gladly read again.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Depends on the format. The Dark Tournament is pretty good in the manga but terribly paced in the anime, you'd think Toei animated it.

As far as shonen tournaments go, at least it wasn't abruptly cancelled half way through like most are.
 

AllEyez

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
80
Reaction score
11
Age
32
Country
Mariejoa
What was it about Chapter black arc that yall think made YYH have a decline from the DT arc?
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
What was it about Chapter black arc that yall think made YYH have a decline from the DT arc?
I thank chapter Black is great until Yusuke's transformation in the end. Personally I like t more than Dark Tournament. I didn't know it was a thing ppl disliked
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Chapter Black is actually my favorite arc but the transformation did come out of nowhere, there wasn't really any hints at all throughout the series so it felt very cliche.
 

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Itachi pursuit to the invasion of Pain is definitely the apex of Naruto for me. I prefer Naruto over Shippuden but I've got to give credit where it's due. Those two arcs are game changers in terms of Naruto and Sasuke's development and to this day have two of the best fights in the whole series.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Woah.. a new Houshin Engi anime?
 

susanoo13

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2010
Messages
1,270
Reaction score
483
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Israel
Incredible! I hope Mappa or Madhouse took this project for 20 year for Hoshin engi instead of Shaman king and that this woud be a complete adaptation.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Whoa who would've expected this? Awesome news.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Kenshin when?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
probably, when the Jump Square sequel starts
 

Savi

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2008
Messages
352
Reaction score
357
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Wait wha-t !!!
What?! I remember back in 2007 studio Deen did a survery for a remake but they didn't reached the goal, great to see it happens now, I hope this time it's not studio Deen.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top