Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It gives us hope for a Soul Catcher (s) anime.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Some people sounds like 9/10 people hear. Oh wait, sure Black Clover and UQ Holder are high quality products, why aren´t they made by Mappa and Madhouse and Bones? Cause they´re not HQ products, like Houshin Engi and Shaman King are. It´s better to have the right expectations, because Ufotable is delivering yet another pretty but boring series with Katsugeki: Token Ranbu. And sure Madhouse and Mappa could too.
I think a lot of people want Madhouse because of series like OPM/HxH 2011. Both were great but OPM was animated a lot from Bones. MAPPA is okay but I don't find them all that special. Bones is great and their record is really good lately.

Ufotable has had one of the worst track records I've seen in a very long time. They're up there with Toei animation. Only difference is that Toei lacks talent.

God eater, Katsugeki, Tales of Zestiria were one of the most boring titles. They are all game adaptations so probably that's why I wasnt interested. Also UBW wasn't that great and I only enjoyed Fate Zero from them.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It gives us hope for a Soul Catcher (s) anime.
We have to see the reasons behind this project. Houshin Engi was more popular than Soul Catcher(s)? It is a very special circumstance so I we have to think carefully about its purpose.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Soul Catcher(s) and Hoshin Engi are leagues apart in terms of actual numbers. Hoshin Engi has 22 million copies in print for 23 volumes in total whereas Soul Catcher(s) struggled to reach 100k within a month. This revival is most likely for the 50th anniversary of Shonen Jump next year. They're probably looking to revive popular series from the past.
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
This revival is most likely for the 50th anniversary of Shonen Jump next year. They're probably looking to revive popular series from the past.
What else are they looking to revive? I've only noticed this and Cobra but they have their own anniversaries (30th and 40th) next year.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
Hoshin Engi has 22 million copies in print for 23 volumes in total
Its 22 million for serie (so normal edition + deluxe edition + bunko edition).
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think a lot of people want Madhouse because of series like OPM/HxH 2011. Both were great but OPM was animated a lot from Bones. MAPPA is okay but I don't find them all that special. Bones is great and their record is really good lately.

Ufotable has had one of the worst track records I've seen in a very long time. They're up there with Toei animation. Only difference is that Toei lacks talent.

God eater, Katsugeki, Tales of Zestiria were one of the most boring titles. They are all game adaptations so probably that's why I wasnt interested. Also UBW wasn't that great and I only enjoyed Fate Zero from them.
I agree that ufotable would have not gotten very far without Type Moon backing them because for the most part everything they've done outside the Fate projects have been fairly subpar.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
What else are they looking to revive? I've only noticed this and Cobra but they have their own anniversaries (30th and 40th) next year.
At this point, pretty much any popular series from the past is possible. Shaman King was declined by Takei himself so that shows that producers are basically looking around to revive any popular series from the 90s or even earlier. I honestly would not be surprised if Arale was revived and was aired after Dragon Ball Super ends (whenever that is as right now there is no end in sight).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
After seeing the this week cover my curiosity about Dr. Slump increased. I knew it, of course, but I've never had the interest to go after it. If they revive it with an anime, it would be interesting and I would definitely watch. Other than that, a Slam Dunk reboot would be epic.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
He's probably decided that he's made enough money from Shaman King to really worry about much. Some people just don't think they need more money. I'm a little mad that he turned down a SK reboot because of the voice actors and I don't understand why he wouldn't want more money (most people could use some more money), but I guess I respect his decision. It is pretty selfish though.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
He's probably decided that he's made enough money from Shaman King to really worry about much. Some people just don't think they need more money. I'm a little mad that he turned down a SK reboot because of the voice actors and I don't understand why he wouldn't want more money (most people could use some more money), but I guess I respect his decision. It is pretty selfish though.
Iirc I thought he said his reasoning was that they wouldn't have been able to bring together the entire voice crew from the original anime so he declined.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
^Honestly it just shows that he cares enough about Shaman King and its fans to not want a half-assed reboot that doesn't have the same feel as the original. Be glad that he's not like Toriyama and Kurumada who long since stopped caring about the quality of their adaptations (and their own work for that matter) that Toei was able to churn out so much garbage from their properties for years. Yeah it sucks since a Shaman King remake is something the franchise desperately needs to come back in the spotlight and given Shueisha's current treatment of it it'll probably never have another chance.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
If any Jump series that was cancelled from the magazine in less than year were to receive an anime, which series would you guys choose? Hypothetical question. I know this would never happen
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If any Jump series that was cancelled from the magazine in less than year were to receive an anime, which series would you guys choose? Hypothetical question. I know this would never happen
MxO, Magico. Oomagadoki. Yoakemono. Mitsukubi Condor
 

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
If any Jump series that was cancelled from the magazine in less than year were to receive an anime, which series would you guys choose? Hypothetical question. I know this would never happen
Steel Ball Run technically counts since it was moved to Ultra.

Yoakemono, Iron Knight, St&rs, and Condor.
 

WesKR

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Nov 27, 2013
Messages
168
Reaction score
105
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Cross Manage would probably do alright with how trendy sports anime are lately.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,562
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Just asking, are we getting early release this week? I think I heard something about that around here...
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
3 questions:
  1. What's Soul Hunter about? Everyone commented on it so has to be noteworthy.
  2. If this is a remake did the original ever air in American broadcasts like Toonami?
  3. If being remade did the original ever adapt all source material?
It sounds so familiar like I heard it before but I digress.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
50th anniversary reboots I would like to see
-Fist Of The North Star (it's not in Toei's hands anymore)
-Kinnikuman
-Kenshin


Steel Ball Run technically counts since it was moved to Ultra.

Yoakemono, Iron Knight, St&rs, and Condor.
Like you said SBR got moved, it wasn't cancelled. Really happy that it got moved, that manga is a masterpiece.
 
Last edited:

razerxs

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 13, 2017
Messages
396
Reaction score
740
Country
Galactic Republic
  • What's Soul Hunter about? Everyone commented on it so has to be noteworthy.
  • If this is a remake did the original ever air in American broadcasts like Toonami?
  • If being remade did the original ever adapt all source material?
It's loosely based on a Chinese epic very loosely based on the Zhou dynasty. The manga goes from battler to Trojan War to grand alien conspiracy.
The anime cut off that last part. It wasn't on Toonami, dub went straight to DVD.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top