The comparison between the two has always been under false pretenses to begin with essentially because both series had nothing in common and it was just people giving a moniker to something that it never was. THANK GOD Shueisha didn't take the same bait or it would have suffered the same fate as Toriko, a good to great manga being crushed by the high expectations of readers thanks to adverts pushing it as the next _______ prompting people to hate on it when it never did.
A three year old manga is suddenly reaching an expiration date? What's the excuse going to be this time?
My take on this is that the comparisons are fitting between the two series, as MHA has some elements in its story that itself borrows from Naruto. But at the same time, it distinguishes itself from its predecessors by establishing its own characters. One of the reasons Naruto was as big as it was is because it had something that defined an entire generation.
For MHA, I believe it has that same thing that will define this generation and the next generation. I see it as the "next Naruto", but for different reasons. I'm not looking for an exact copy of it. I'm looking for a series that can be generation-defining just like its predecessors did. That's what the "next big thing" for me is.
As for numbers, I would very much like it to crack a million-seller like all the other series before it, but there are a few factors:
1. We still have no exact number on digital tankobon sales, but as has been implied by Jump's editor-in-chief, the digital Jump sales have been steadily increasing, so it's very likely the total tankobon sales are much higher than it actually is. (I'd make a bet on it between 700K-800K total including prints)
2. The anime is increasingly popular in Japan, and we still haven't gotten to the
really good parts yet. So, who knows? It's still a possibility that volume sales will spike after next season. And that's not even getting into the possibility of BONES going balls out with next season's budget.