Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Chou Kasoku Ningen Leo by Dai Matsubara

likes: Naruto and Chibi Maruko-chan

another filthy casual, his oneshot itself reflects that
You ok?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
oh boy....

it's a play on a joke I made 3 weeks ago, I called the author of a GFC oneshot a pleb for liking OP/AoT/BnHA and someone got upset

But seriously, both Naruto and Maruko are mainstream af and his oneshot was forgettable
mc have the power of magnet attraction and repulsion which he uses to make things including himself faster, his goal is to make the world happy

seriously? super-speed and happiness?

and before someone tells me, "b-b-but there are no original ideas anymore"

this week's issue had a oneshot to replace BnHA it was about a cute hurricane boy doing cute hurricane things!!
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Magnet powers on an MC strikes me as one of those kinds of abilities that could be really cool and creatively used in the battles but instead would just end up being used to punch people really hard because for some reason that's all battle shounen MCs are allowed to do.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I mean, I see where you're coming from, but that's literally Deku. All he does is punch and kick people, and the only progression is him being able to punch (and now kick) a little harder. It helps that he has a strategic mind though.

My point is that strong punches and kicks can be interesting if the characters and story are interesting.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
This is a weird day to be awake. OPM changes studios, from Madhouse and Shingo Natsume, to JC Staff and Chikara Sakura
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...nch-man-anime-2nd-season-at-j.c-staff/.121831
Sakurai, not Sakura. I'm waiting till a PV is released to judge S2 personally.
I think Natsume is too busy to be doing the new season, which I heard about a while back from some anime industry people on twitter. The new staff have a lot to live up to though, and J.C have many projects coming up.
Fall: UQ Holder!, Children of the Whales, SnS 3
N/A: OPM 2, Index 3
Though they work like this a lot so it's to be expected. Thinking that OPM, Index, and CoTW are definitely their priority projects.
They got a very good sound director for S2 though. Berserk wasn't his best stuff

Where's a new SnS PV for S3 showing new content not from the OVA? Production schedule might be worse than BC, and not even close to BBB 2 (Though that's Bones' Studio A so its expected).
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Even if it was still Madhouse, that wouldn't mean anything if Natsume was still gone. His connections were the reason why so many talented freelancers were working on the show. I'll be interested to see how this turns out. I'm sure it'll still be good though, just not on the same level as before.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
What the fuck....JC Staff doing OPM? Madhouse never made OPM amazing, it was mainly outsourced to a lot of Bones staff I believe or just outsourced a lot in general. I'm not sure about the director change either. I don't know much about JC staff tbh, aside from that awful SnS S2. Do they even have good in house animators? Bones should've gotten OPM but oh well.


BBB S2 is fucked because of the director change. The music is on point but I'm really worried, nothing will top BBB's S1 ED.
 

Tanzo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2016
Messages
1,555
Reaction score
3,766
Country
United States
What the fuck....JC Staff doing OPM? Madhouse never made OPM amazing, it was mainly outsourced to a lot of Bones staff I believe or just outsourced a lot in general. I'm not sure about the director change either. I don't know much about JC staff tbh, aside from that awful SnS S2. Do they even have good in house animators? Bones should've gotten OPM but oh well.


BBB S2 is fucked because of the director change. The music is on point but I'm really worried, nothing will top BBB's S1 ED.
New PV looks hype as fuck, and visuals look great, as well as music.
Hasn't changed much at all really. I mean, Matsumoto isn't directing anymore, and I'll miss her direction a bit, but the new staff are still doing a great job. I have faith in Takayanagi (new director), since he's great at doing character-driven stuff, which was the best part of S1 personally. Adapting the manga faithfully is also a good idea I liked the anime-original stuff but it being weaved in through certain eps was a bit annoying

I agree on the ED though, nothing's topping that or the OP.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
New PV looks hype as fuck, and visuals look great, as well as music.
Hasn't changed much at all really. I mean, Matsumoto isn't directing anymore, and I'll miss her direction a bit, but the new staff are still doing a great job. I have faith in Takayanagi (new director), since he's great at doing character-driven stuff, which was the best part of S1 personally. Adapting the manga faithfully is also a good idea I liked the anime-original stuff but it being weaved in through certain eps was a bit annoying

I agree on the ED though, nothing's topping that or the OP.
I don't know....I heard the new director isn't nearly as good as Matsumoto. There were great episodic moments like episode 6 with Leo & Nej, it just had a messy finale cause of the delay (I think). Season 2 is confirmed to follow the manga, I haven't read Kekkai Sensen or even B2B (not sure if they'll adapt it, prob for S3) so not sure what to expect. It does look faithful because I saw some raws of the manga and the anime is adapting it good from the looks of the PV.

I'll take your word on him being good with character driven stories. I love the cast of Libra so I'm hoping you're right on this.

Actually S1 OP was pretty good and Unison Square Garden's OP from the PV was better than Hello World so I think it's possible of topping S1's OP in terms of music alone. Ofc music isnt everything to make an OP/ED but plays a big role.
 
Last edited:

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I mean, I see where you're coming from, but that's literally Deku. All he does is punch and kick people, and the only progression is him being able to punch (and now kick) a little harder. It helps that he has a strategic mind though.

My point is that strong punches and kicks can be interesting if the characters and story are interesting.
The truth is that people decided to complain about things in GFC oneshots that they praise in a daily basis with series already in Jump. Complaining about protagonists that only punches, kicks (and screams I bet)? Seriously? Nobody here is a newbie, everybody is aware that GFC contestants are just copying what they see in Jump every week because they want to get serialized. Jump was never known by its incredible originality, it will not be GFC entries that will be the pinnacle of originality.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
in this week's issue they revealed some winners of the New World awards

one of the winners is a 16 years old kid, his oneshot is about a psychic that can only use his psychokinesis to move cleaning tools

his award is his oneshot will be published in one of Jump's magazines in the future

this proves:
1-originality isn't dead
2-you don't need to copy stuff that you see in Jump if you want to get serialize in it

side note: the judge for this round was Horikoshi, so he isn't dead yet.....yay I guess
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
in this week's issue they revealed some winners of the New World awards

one of the winners is a 16 years old kid, his oneshot is about a psychic that can only use his psychokinesis to move cleaning tools

his award is his oneshot will be published in one of Jump's magazines in the future

this proves:
1-originality isn't dead
2-you don't need to copy stuff that you see in Jump if you want to get serialize in it

side note: the judge for this round was Horikoshi, so he isn't dead yet.....yay I guess
I'm honestly not 100% sure that's totally original and not copying something from Ueki.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
in this week's issue they revealed some winners of the New World awards

one of the winners is a 16 years old kid, his oneshot is about a psychic that can only use his psychokinesis to move cleaning tools

his award is his oneshot will be published in one of Jump's magazines in the future

this proves:
1-originality isn't dead
2-you don't need to copy stuff that you see in Jump if you want to get serialize in it

side note: the judge for this round was Horikoshi, so he isn't dead yet.....yay I guess
Are you sure you want to use this as your argument?
The winner was decided by a board of judges, which is basically the way they do every single serialization meeting in Shueisha. All series that the editors think are good and get published makes success? Hell no, 99% go to the trash can in 20 chapters. This oneshot will still be published in the magazine and have the reader test. Until there, it is worthless for me.
Originality doesn't mean good, we already discussed it here. "oneshot is about a psychic that can only use his psychokinesis to move cleaning tools", such an original plot (doubt it is completely original like @jagman1x3 said, but let's suppose it is)! Great~! Now what? It can become something good or something ridiculous. Did you just judge an oneshot of 45 pages by one phrase? Shallow.

He will get his oneshot published, he is not getting serialization of anything? What are you talking about?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Shoseki Manga Sales Rankings (18/9-24/9)
12. My Hero Academia #15
30. Food Wars!: Shokugeki no Souma #26
33. The Promised Neverland #5
81. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san #7
110. Dr. Stone #2
237. Hinomaru Zumou #16

30位28000/50位17600/100位7800/200位4550/300位3000/400位2350/500位2050
 
  • Like
Reactions: ick

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
I'm honestly not 100% sure that's totally original and not copying something from Ueki.
I never read Ueki, only watched a couple of episodes when the anime aired on tv, so I can't argue, it does sound like something Fukuchi would do

He will get his oneshot published, he is not getting serialization of anything? What are you talking about?
I was arguing not all people that want to get serialize are lazy copiers like you claim, and why would anyone submit a oneshot to a oneshots contest if he doesn't want to get serialize?

everybody is aware that GFC contestants are just copying what they see in Jump every week because they want to get serialized. Jump was never known by its incredible originality, it will not be GFC entries that will be the pinnacle of originality.
you are explicitly saying everybody knows that GFC contestants are just copying what they see in Jump

well, I didn't know that, and I have to question and test how true this "common knowledge" is
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,291
Reaction score
7,319
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'm not a fan of it in MHA either, Deku's solo fights aren't exactly the most interesting of the series and are pretty much all carried by the dialogue (Horikoshi does at least seem to realise how boring his MC's powers are though so thankfully we mostly get paired stuff).
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I was arguing not all people that want to get serialize are lazy copiers like you claim, and why would anyone submit a oneshot to a oneshots contest if he doesn't want to get serialize?



you are explicitly saying everybody knows that GFC contestants are just copying what they see in Jump

well, I didn't know that, and I have to question and test how true this "common knowledge" is
Want to be serialized and get serialized are two completely different things. We don't know if it is going to be serialized, even less if it is going to make success so it is too early to commemorate.

This year's contestants are not particularly original as far as I know. The previous years' winners were not that original as well, not that it makes any difference because none of them made a decent success.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
It doesn't matter if it get serialize or if it become successful, you said everyone know the contestants are just copying what they see in Jump suggesting that if you want to get in Jump that what you need to do

So, I'm challenging how true this is

What was last year winner copying? what was Beelzebub copying? what was Ikkyuu copying?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top