But, Lily wanted to help her tribe, so she had a common goal with Yona. It was handled much better so I have no problem with her allying with Yona in the Water tribe. Tea-jun was easy to influence, since he was in love with her, but it is not like it is impossible, so I have no problem with it as well. Yun wanted to learn more about the world, so I have no problem with him either. As for Yona’s goal, she wants to help people and rectify her father’s deeds, but this is something she decided to do after seeing what a bad King her father was. She initially gathered the dragons to protect herself and Hak.
Yes but how would she have had a goal if she was ignorant? Her father kept her in a bubble. You said she had no goal, so I pointed out that she did get a goal and was working towards a goal once she knew about the situation.
As for how much time it took her to gather the dragons, I am not interested in how many chapters she spent to convince them (technically speaking it is only around 25 chapters to gather all the dragons because they meet Ki-ja in chapter 16 and since Ki-ja didn’t need any convincing it is even less than this), but that each of them knew her for no longer than few days when they decided to go with her. As I said, I think it is improbable that a guy would leave like this everything to follow and protect a teenage girl he barely knows.
But Shin-Ah and Zeno don't have anyone, and Jae-Ha literally left after he was convinced. He tried to fight the dragon blood off at first.
Actually, I like it that Su-won is way more competent than the main character and a good King. It sets this series apart from these stories where someone like Su-won would be an evil bastard that has a lust for power, which would be generic and boring.
Yes it is true Soo-Won is a good king and does face an internal conflict when it comes to Yona and Hak which gives him depth. But if we think of a story as Soo-Won for a protagonist instead of an antagonist it would be very boring for me. This is because:
1) He is expressionless most of the time - has an air of knowing it all - which is fine except we never know his inner thoughts either.
2) He has had very little character growth so far compared to other characters. He was born with charisma, intelligence etc. etc. and so far I haven't seen much change in him.
3) His point of view is almost always pessimistic including about his own resolve when he said he doesn't intend to "live peacefully". If we see the sacrifices his character needed to make in comparison to Yona, he has had it much better.
4) He rarely struggles or faces challenges
Which is why I think you need a character like Yona as a protagonist who is a contrast to his personality and makes his character more interesting. Dark and brooding characters only become more interesting when they have happy and optimistic rivals.
About making them believe in her and not the coup, it doesn’t apply. They were not Su-won supporters or anything like this.
She didn’t have to make anything like this.
Soo-Won has royal lineage and is Yu-Hon's son which automatically made some people support him. Though others like Geun-Tae had to be convinced after the coup and I respect how he got him to his side.
It doesn’t mean that Su-won would not find another way to improve the situation or that he would not learn about Iza seeds eventually. Yes, Su-won would have more obstacles. It would likely take more time and more people would die, but it doesn’t mean that he would not succeed at making the country a better place. His strongest assets are his intelligence, his knowledge and skills, so there is a high chance that he would improve the situation even without the dragons.
Intelligence and knowledge - like I said, Yona was kept ignorant. If she was not that she lacked in intelligence or the ability to grasp things. It's been less than a year and she has already grasped a lot. One major problem with Yona is that she is righteous. If she wasn't so righteous then we could have had the Revenge-No-Yona series. She could have used Tae-Jun and Hak to rebel against Soo-Won.
Actually now I am wondering...why did Soo-Won wait only until he is king to improve the situation of Kouka? He was also of a royal descent right? And it seems to me he knew the problems around Kouka. It seems to me that he never tried to help or use his position or anything over all these years in those poverty stricken places. Whereas Yona is wasting no time in helping them though she is not even a princess anymore.
To which I pointed out that Su-won is limited by his kingly responsibilities and cannot roam freely like Yona does, which I think explains pretty well why Yona can reach places before him.
So? Soo-Won can delegate others on his behalf to do this can't he? If we are talking about mobility Soo-Won has a whole network of people at his disposal.
But we don't know why Il didn't teach her anything, so we don't know if she would be raised differently if she weren't Hiryuu. It may well be that Il didn't teach her anything because she was a girl, and only men could become rulers in Kouka. Or he was just as inept at raising an heir as he was at ruling a country, and just spoiled her for no reason other than ill-interpreted fatherly love.
Okay, will just have to wait and see what the manga says later.
I feel you miss the point. It's not about Yona's effort or the lack of thereof. I'll give it to Yona that she had to convince three of the dragons to follow her. I'm not saying that she didn't put any effort into anything, or, I dunno, that getting used to living out of the castle was easy. But she had an option that no other character had. It's just that - that she's the only one with magical aid and a prophecy in the world, so far as we know, bah, perhaps even with the Heavens on her side, like Zeno said in some recent chapter. If you took the supernatural away, Yona would stay with Hak and perhaps Yoon, and maybe she'd learn archery and swordplay too. Then if she went to fight against the Fire Tribe's rebellion, she'd be a single archer aided with a single fighter, not a force capable of venturing into the midst of the battlefield. Etc. etc. I struggle to think of a thing that she could've done if the dragons didn't exist. The Iza Seeds, maybe? I admit, I don't exactly remember how they got them.
Yes but my point is - all characters are currently written revolving around Yona having these dragons.
If we take away the dragons the characters would all be written differently and the outcomes would be different.
But, even if suppose, she is the same Yona with the same traits, it doesn't change the fact that she is charismatic and caring. She could have still gotten Tae-Jun and Lili to side with her and become friends with her. Tae-Jun and Lili are influential people who have resources on hand. Even without the dragons, Iza seeds could have happened through Yoon, She could have helped with Nadai eradication with Lili's resources, She could have swayed the firetribe around with Tae-Jun's resources. She could have used the wind tribe's resources in several situations. The dragons are a great force that have helped both Soo-Won and Yona to reach their goals. Eliminate them and it is still possible for BOTH with extra struggles and efforts to reach their goals.
This ties in tightly with the reason why I don't want Su-won to be Hiryuu. I don't want him to be a part of some grand Heaven's plan, or a Chosen One. In the world where it's exceptional, it's basically like cheating. I'm actually iffy about him being even just "the King" from the prophecy, because it already smells somewhat ChoseOneish.
I'm pretty sure he is the king though at this pint? :P. Like it or not, Soo-Won is tied by fate to the dragons. The argument of him being able to achieve things on his own aside- it is still a fact that the dragons have been aiding him in every arc.
And according to the prophecy the King will be protected by the red dragon and four dragons so that point should come soon too.
Also your logic about not liking Yona because she is the only person with a magical edge? :P Isn't that a little unfair since the whole story revolves around this? Plus it's not like she is using these special magical dragons for her own selfish gain. She is actually using them for her country. Anyway to each their own here.
But if Su-won wasn't there, I wouldn't be reading it. Yona's journey is in no way unique, or interesting to me. I've seen it done over and over again, and while it's a better incarnation of the common tropes than some, well, those are still common tropes.
Oh well I have also seen similar brooding, genius antagonist over and over again (Vegeta, Sasuke), though Soo-Won is a better version, but I have not seen many female shoujo leads like Yona, that to in a romance shoujo, so I wouldn't read this story if it weren't for Yona- And ofc Hak plays a big role. But I still think both Soo-Won and Yona are important to take the story forward.