Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinji Hirako

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 28, 2017
Messages
133
Reaction score
196
Age
30
Country
United Kingdom
Does Bleach's live action have a lot of good actors?
We only know that Sota Fukushi is playing the role of Ichigo and that's it even though this movie was announced August 2016, 14 months ago. I have heard that he is a popular actor but I think he is more of a rising star. Anyway I'm curious of when other jump live action movies revealed their casts such as Gintama.
 

Reigen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
186
Reaction score
290
Age
29
Country
Morocco
Anyway I'm curious of when other jump live action movies revealed their casts such as Gintama.
Gintama's main cast was revealed in less than two months after the movie announcement.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Actually thought this was a good analysis of Black Clover's anime.
Btw, he doesn't completely rip it apart. He seems to enjoy the manga, but thinks the anime is a poor adaptation of it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,073
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im sorry I had to quit the video, how is he calling BC generic and Yuno and Asta generic, yet then says HeroAca made the rivalry aspect *unique*?

But another problem is that he calls Bakugou basically a high power leveled Naruto.

-

The problem with these youtube reviewers is their arguments are all over the place, their message is always lost.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Well,its true, they are generic, he's not wrong about that.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Im sorry I had to quit the video, how is he calling BC generic and Yuno and Asta generic, yet then says HeroAca made the rivalry aspect *unique*?

But another problem is that he calls Bakugou basically a high power leveled Naruto.

-

The problem with these youtube reviewers is their arguments are all over the place, their message is always lost.
Idk about this vid, but in other vids he's said the MHA is generic, but handles Shonen troupes in a refreshing way.
Also, calling Bakugo a high power leveled Naruto, who's 10x more arrogant, seems like an accurate description of the character
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,073
Reaction score
6,931
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im not seeing how Bakugou is like Naruto, like last i checked naruto wouldnt tell his precious friends to kill themselve, or naruto has never been at the top of the class
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I actually like the relationship between Asta and Yuno so much more than Deku and Bakugo's. The latter is much more forced and generic than the former.

He makes good points though. The anime is horribly paced. I enjoy that they expand on things Tabata hasn't cover like city stuff or character interaction but I think that would have been better some time down the line.

I also agree that sometimes the characters don't feel human. And he's right in the sense that it's seemly a fantastic world and yet we haven't had anything about that. We don't know ANYTHING about their world.

I however don't agree on the animation part. Yes, they cut corners but so far the animation has been what you'd expect. He compares it to a cut by perhaps Japan's best animator, on an episode that's pretty much the climax of an arc. You just don't do that. Yoshihara said that Fate/Apocrypha staff will join the series around New Year, so I'm confident climax moments will look plenty of good.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Im not seeing how Bakugou is like Naruto, like last i checked naruto wouldnt tell his precious friends to kill themselve, or naruto has never been at the top of the class
He's basically just saying Bakugo is loud and obnoxious is all. He actually says in the vid "Bakugo is Naruto, if he was at a high power level in the beginning and was an arrogant asshole".
He's saying Bakugo loud and obnoxious like Naruto, except he's a dick.
Ether way, I don't get how that brings the entire vid down
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I actually like the relationship between Asta and Yuno so much more than Deku and Bakugo's. The latter is much more forced and generic than the former.

He makes good points though. The anime is horribly paced. I enjoy that they expand on things Tabata hasn't cover like city stuff or character interaction but I think that would have been better some time down the line.

I also agree that sometimes the characters don't feel human. And he's right in the sense that it's seemly a fantastic world and yet we haven't had anything about that. We don't know ANYTHING about their world.

I however don't agree on the animation part. Yes, they cut corners but so far the animation has been what you'd expect. He compares it to a cut by perhaps Japan's best animator, on an episode that's pretty much the climax of an arc. You just don't do that. Yoshihara said that Fate/Apocrypha staff will join the series around New Year, so I'm confident climax moments will look plenty of good.
I think Asta and Yuno have a better dynamic then most Shonen rivalries. However they're pretty forgettable characters in comparison to Naruto/Sasuke, and Deku/Bakugo.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
I think Asta and Yuno have a better dynamic then most Shonen rivalries. However they're pretty forgettable characters in comparison to Naruto/Sasuke, and Deku/Bakugo.
Yes, they're forgettable but I don't see how Deku and Bakugo aren't.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
He's basically just saying Bakugo is loud and obnoxious is all. He actually says in the vid "Bakugo is Naruto, if he was at a high power level in the beginning and was an arrogant asshole".
He's saying Bakugo loud and obnoxious like Naruto, except he's a dick.
Ether way, I don't get how that brings the entire vid down
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I think Asta and Yuno have a better dynamic then most Shonen rivalries. However they're pretty forgettable characters in comparison to Naruto/Sasuke, and Deku/Bakugo.
Not hating on BC but I don't see it. They barely interact and Yuno is barely in the manga aside from specific moments
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Yes, they're forgettable but I don't see how Deku and Bakugo aren't.
Asta is pretty unlikable in general because he's so obnoxious.
Yuno is cool, but he has the exact same personality of most Shonen rivals. He's what you think of when parodies of anime are made.

Deku has the basic traits of Shonen protagonist, but he's grounded enough that he feels relatable. He also has a lot of character growth and development in comparison to Asta.
I guess Asta is memorable, but mostly for how not to make your MC.

Bakugo is such an asshole that it sticks with you. He starts of unlikable, but the good kind of unlikable, where the audience hates him because they want to see him get his comeuppance. However, you eventually see that he's heavily flawed and he gets a lot of development as well. In comparison to Yuno, Bakugo has way more layers as a character. Where as Yuno is pretty much a basic outline of a Shonen rival
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Actually thought this was a good analysis of Black Clover's anime.
Btw, he doesn't completely rip it apart. He seems to enjoy the manga, but thinks the anime is a poor adaptation of it.
I wouldn't call it a piss poor adaptation at all this is exactly like how the manga was in the beginning and we're not even at the worst part of it yet. I guess people really put it at that back of their minds but the reception its getting is what people have been saying about the manga since it started. Also Mother's Basement is a tool and hypocrite who does clickbaity shit all the time (Remember Re:Creators being a modern day masterpiece?) so I'll take his opinion with a grain of salt.
Im sorry I had to quit the video, how is he calling BC generic and Yuno and Asta generic, yet then says HeroAca made the rivalry aspect *unique*?
Yuno and Asta are generic because there's nothing about their rivalry that makes them compelling or gets you engage because they act nothing like rivals at all An aspect of the rival between Deku and Bakugou is that Horikoshi doesn't try to make one of the other out to be in the right or the wrong and doesn't try to humble Bakugou's actions he's a jerk but he works hard and can back up his words, Deku's heart may be in the right place but he's still lacking in many areas and you can't help but feel for Bakugou's case seeing that Deku lucked out by being chosen (though he did prove himself worthy) while he worked hard in perfecting his own abilities. I guess in most of these stories its always the rival who's made to look bad to elevate the hero and Hori has admitted that he regrets making Bakugou too mean in the beginning hence why he was surprised at the positive reception of his character in spite of that though there's also a portion who just don't like his character and that's fine since he's suppose to be. You compare all that with Yuno and Asta and they don't really have anything hell Yuno barely appears in the manga and got beaten by the main heroine in the first popularity poll, who cares if its a friendly rivalry there's no reason to care if they're just going to sugarcoat it.

But another problem is that he calls Bakugou basically a high power leveled Naruto.
This isn't really untrue since both characters are loud, obnoxious and tend to want to handle things by themselves than rely on others of course while Naruto was a dropout Bakugou is a genius.

-
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
Golem Hearts was good, I hope the next chapters are good too, and we might have something great in our hands.
The real question is going to be if it will be well received or not. I like the art style a lot.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Not hating on BC but I don't see it. They barely interact and Yuno is barely in the manga aside from specific moments
Well one thing that bothered me in Naruto was the first Naruto and Sasuke fight. It's an amazing and iconic battle. But one part that always got me was when Naruto started calling Sasuke his bestfriend and brother. To which I thought "really?".
I always saw that him and Sasuke were definitely friends. But I never got the impression that they were best friends. Or had a brotherly bond. Up to that point they just felt like friends that had a respect for each that they were ashamed to admit. Do Naruto's obsession to bring Sasuke back that lasted the entire series always felt weird to me.

With Asta and Yuno I actually get the impression that they're that close. That they consider each other brothers. Ect. It's nice to me that they have this rivalry, but there's a genuine bond between them.

However, with that being said, Naruto and Sasuke are far better characters
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I liked it as well, but we'll see
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Well one thing that bothered me in Naruto was the first Naruto and Sasuke fight. It's an amazing and iconic battle. But one part that always got me was when Naruto started calling Sasuke his bestfriend and brother. To which I thought "really?".
I always saw that him and Sasuke were definitely friends. But I never got the impression that they were best friends. Or had a brotherly bond. Up to that point they just felt like friends that had a respect for each that they were ashamed to admit. Do Naruto's obsession to bring Sasuke back that lasted the entire series always felt weird to me.

With Asta and Yuno I actually get the impression that they're that close. That they consider each other brothers. Ect. It's nice to me that they have this rivalry, but there's a genuine bond between them.

However, with that being said, Naruto and Sasuke are far better characters
Well Naruto was alone for the majority of his life. Because of how they grew together at the Land of Waves he was probably his first friend
 

TM2

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 23, 2017
Messages
155
Reaction score
95
Age
34
Country
Hong Kong
Yes, they're forgettable but I don't see how Deku and Bakugo aren't.
Well to add my two-cents, I don't think I've seen another rivalry in a shonen manga that has ever this antagonistic without making either character into a villain. However despite their antagonism, despite working towards the same goal they also provide the best foil for each other's view on what it means to be a 'Hero'.

Deku's dream is having the ability to save people as a hero. To inspire and grant comfort to those he saves in the same way All Might did for him. He essentially embodies the idea that a 'Hero' is someone who will always be able to save those in need and do so with a smile. He wants pursues his dream despite his weakness and handicaps. Despite Bakugou bullying him for years he still respects him as a figure of strength and surpassing him is necessary to the goal of taking All Might's place as the "Symbol of Peace".

Bakugou also wants to be the best 'Hero' though he approaches it in a different way. He sees All Might as the pinnacle of strength, the 'Hero' who never fails to defeat the villains. He embodies the idea that a 'Hero' should someone who never loses. He grew up assured of his own talents and and when Deku (the worthless) starts to surpass him in a the ways that matter to him (All Might's attention, and personal growth) it only added to their antagonism as well as damage the image he set up for himself. Surpassing Deku is the way Bakugou can make sure of his own self-worth after failing to beat Deku, failing to get a decent fight out of Todoroki, being kidnapped and personally blaming himself for ending All Might's career as a Hero.

They admire the same figure All Might and interpret his position as the number one 'Hero' in different ways. I also think that their rivalry can also bring out the sheer competitiveness in each other. I wouldn't exactly classify their rivalry as healthy but I do think that its interesting to see the interactions and clash of people who hold valid ideas how they define a 'Hero'.
 
Last edited:

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I liked it as well, but we'll see
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Well Naruto was alone for the majority of his life. Because of how they grew together at the Land of Waves he was probably his first friend
Well the thing is, they didn't seem to interact much as friends until they were on a team together.
And around that time Naruto started gaining respect from a lot of people. Kakashi, Sakura, Shikamaru, Rock Lee, Kiba, Neji, Choji, ect.
Don't get me wrong, I fully get that Sasuke and him were friends. But he seemed to have gained a lot of friends. so the hell "you're like my brother!!!" Just felt kind of out of nowhere. Nothing about them before that seemed to imply that their bond was THAT close.

Mind you this is just a nitpick for me. Not a major stain on the series
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Golem Hearts was meh. Noah and Lamech want to become the best Golem makers like any WSJ character who wants to become the King/No.1/Best of something. The underdog story is typical for WSJ, but is there a need for two underdog main characters? The Level 5 Paladin Art felt like an asspull. In the most dire situation Lamech, who can't even fix normal Golems, uses one of the most difficult spells which turns a Golem into a super weapon, allowing Noah to cut another Golem and a bullet at super sonic speed.
And were was the girl from the colour page in this chapter?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top