Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactic Tomahawk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2008
Messages
797
Reaction score
132
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Kaiba once spent billions building a theme park just to murder Yugi and that's all I need to like him
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This seems untrue and downplays the many times theyve had to tag duel for victory, yugi also respects seto and likewise.
Its not. Kaiba is obsessed with Yami (Atem) because he once to prove his own superiority not be his friend and every time he's had to team up with him he wanted to do it by himself. Did you forget how Kaiba originally wanted Yugi dead and staged to kill him on many occasions just to prove that he's better?
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
Ah, I like this, a lot. *Sheds single tear*
I'm aware that the idea of a nice protagonist seems bland to some, but Noah wants to be useful for other people and is so nice and full of energy doing it, it's so charming and lovely. And his relationship with his father is cute. Lamech himself is a an entertaining guy, too.
The weakest part of this first chapter was the "action" later on. Running, jumping and sword slash, and nothing of those looked that fine in motion(even if the actual sword looks fine). In that regard, I hope that the action improves.
Also the villain wasnt... a "person", like, more a plot device, so Noah and his father can proof themselves in the public eye. The villain wasnt even a joke, bc he really didnt show much character or anything.

At this point, I really hope to see more of Golem Hearts, just bc I enjoyed the relationship of Lamech and Noah so much, I also enjoyed Noah a lot,bc I just like nice guys as protagonists and the humour made me smile.
Also a little detail, which I've enjoyed: Some background character tried to defend Noah, when the other father wanted to yell at him, and wanted to suggest that someone else destroyed the cargo. I know, just a minor detail, but seeing the difference to Black Clover, where EVERYONE regularly laughing at Asta for not having any magic, feels surprisingly refreshing.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
In my opinion, the Golem Hearts oneshot was much better than the first chapter of the serialization.
However, if this means that the next couple chapters will feature stuff like what we saw in the oneshot, then I think it might be good.

The first chapter was too slow and too uneventful. Spent too much time on making sure they made the points that Noah really wanted to help people. And the stuff with the bad guy was brushed over way too fast. We got the point about Noah's attitude after a few pages, but half the oneshot was focused on making that point, instead of elaborating on it.

I still have hopes for it of course though. I just considered it pretty uneventful. Some first chapters are overly dramatic to start with a bang, this was kind of the opposite.
 

ScotchAianB

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2017
Messages
179
Reaction score
1,392
Gender
Male
Country
Saudi Arabia
Jump Festa 2018 - Program Schedule:
Dec 16
- 10:30 am - My Hero Academia
- 11:40 am - Shokugeki no Soma
- 12:50 pm - Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
- 2 pm - Tokyo Ghoul:re
- 3:20 pm - New Prince of Tennis
- 4:30 pm - Haikyuu!!
Dec 17
- 10:20 am - Black Clover
- 11:30 am - Gintama
- 12:40 pm - The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
- 1:50 pm - Boruto: Naruto Next Generations
- 3 pm - Kekkai Sensen Back 2 Back
- 4:10 pm - One Piece
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Ah, I like this, a lot. *Sheds single tear*
I'm aware that the idea of a nice protagonist seems bland to some, but Noah wants to be useful for other people and is so nice and full of energy doing it, it's so charming and lovely. And his relationship with his father is cute. Lamech himself is a an entertaining guy, too.
The weakest part of this first chapter was the "action" later on. Running, jumping and sword slash, and nothing of those looked that fine in motion(even if the actual sword looks fine). In that regard, I hope that the action improves.
Also the villain wasnt... a "person", like, more a plot device, so Noah and his father can proof themselves in the public eye. The villain wasnt even a joke, bc he really didnt show much character or anything.

At this point, I really hope to see more of Golem Hearts, just bc I enjoyed the relationship of Lamech and Noah so much, I also enjoyed Noah a lot,bc I just like nice guys as protagonists and the humour made me smile.
Also a little detail, which I've enjoyed: Some background character tried to defend Noah, when the other father wanted to yell at him, and wanted to suggest that someone else destroyed the cargo. I know, just a minor detail, but seeing the difference to Black Clover, where EVERYONE regularly laughing at Asta for not having any magic, feels surprisingly refreshing.
Another detail I liked is that the village didn't hate Noah and Lamech for no reason. They all had perfectly good reasons to dislike them, because despite their good intentions, they hurt the town a lot. When coming to get Noah it was like this was the final straw after years and years of him ruining things
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
let's suppose she draws more characters like this, so what? will this magically make the manga better?

you previously stated that your problem with the series has to do with the story and its pacing

this post implies your problem is actually "NO CUTE GIRLS BOOHOO"
TRIGGERED! XD
Man, you don't get tired of putting words in my mouth? The story and pacing problem still remains, but it is a fact that The Promised Neverland also don't offer what is needed for Posuka Demizu to show her talent to its max. I hope this new arc gives us more glimpses of fantastic creatures instead of just ugly demons. WHO IS TALKING ABOUT CUTE GIRLS? Sigh... It will be a waste of time responding will any longer.
 
Last edited:

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Nice to see some Saiki volumes move into the Top 500. That series never fails to get a good laugh out of me.
I also thought the one-shot for Golem Hearts was more enjoyable than this first chapter. Not to say that it was bad, but it didn't really hook me in right away like the other Jump series I'm reading. I'll have to see a few more chapters before coming to a verdict.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
TRIGGERED! XD
Man, you don't get tired of putting words in my mouth? The story and pacing problem still remains, but it is a fact that The Promised Neverland also don't offer what is needed for Posuka Demizu to show her talent to its max. I hope this new arc gives us more glimpses of fantastic creatures instead of just ugly demons. WHO IS TALKING ABOUT CUTE GIRLS? Sigh... It will be a waste of time responding will any longer.
Personally I have no problem with the story and pacing of The Promised Neverland, quite the contrary, I mainly only have praise for it.
The current pacing specifically I've been pretty satisfied with, giving us proper insight and dialogue with a lot of thought put into it.

But I do agree with having more scenarios for Demizu to show off. Which it seems is the direction we're heading in right now.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Posuka Demizu is really putting a lot of work in this Halloween. Tons of arts to look at at Twitter.
To avoid complaints, I will post just this basket without cute girls and a Pumpkin. XD
Still better than TPN art though. xD


 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
tbh Posuka's art is wasted on monochrome manga anyway. The way she uses colours is incredible and half the charm (not to say her creativity isn't incredible too). The latest chapter showed some wacky stuff, and she's done a pretty good job with the outside world which we're sure to be seeing a ton more of, so it's not too bad. Would definitely be interesting to see what she'd do with her very own series given all that creativity though.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It is not like authors and artists are allowed to make anything they want when they have to make a series for a living. Only geniuses make success while doing whatever they want. There are a lot of possibilities for why an artist is drawing a certain manga:
1) The editorial staff found a good story, but the author doesn't draw that well and they invite someone who they think have a good art for the story. In this case, Shueisha inviting you is a lot of pressure, even when the series don't live up to your talents as an artists (plus it is hard to say when the series haven't even started anyway) you ended up accepting because it is a good job.
2) An author and an artist come together on their own accord to make a series. In this case the artist have more liberty, but it also doesn't mean that the series live up to the artist talent since it is still hard to picture how the series will progress.

I didn't say that Posuka Demizu is unhappy, she probably is happy and well with The Promised Neverland, but she is not using her talent at her max.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I'd say the art in Neverland is just as good as her Twitter art. It's just in a more grounded setting than the stuff she normally draws. That doesn't mean it's not as good, or she's wasting her talented.

That's like saying Oda would be wasting his talents if his next series isn't a grand scale adventure with a large world, and he decided to do a detective thriller series grounded in reality instead.

The type of series Neverland is doesn't require that Posuka draw Pumpkin headed monsters, trolls, and underwater kingdoms. And I'm sure she wouldn't want to be type-casted as someone who ONLY draws things like that
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,072
Reaction score
6,930
Gender
Male
Country
United States
2) An author and an artist come together on their own accord to make a series. In this case the artist have more liberty, but it also doesn't mean that the series live up to the artist talent since it is still hard to picture how the series will progress.

I didn't say that Posuka Demizu is unhappy, she probably is happy and well with The Promised Neverland, but she is not using her talent at her max.
How do you know this isnt her max? I think its is hard to assess someones talent from drawing a single isolated random Halloween illustration (that wont even be judged or sold for anything) versus creating and crafting a world, with a full set of characters, environments, and creatures that would be recurring. I think the manga is more of a showcase of the artists creativity as its a constant challenge to themself to A) make sure every single character doesnt look the same B) creatures look different C) have varied environments, D) action shots.

Look at those color shots, none of those above really look like something the artists had to think hard about or be that challenging. Most middle and high school art students do the fruit basket drawing, the halloween basket is basically that. Not hard.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Posuka's talent is wasted because Shirai is an exposition lover. Simple like that.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
How do you know this isnt her max? I think its is hard to assess someones talent from drawing a single isolated random Halloween illustration (that wont even be judged or sold for anything) versus creating and crafting a world, with a full set of characters, environments, and creatures that would be recurring. I think the manga is more of a showcase of the artists creativity as its a constant challenge to themself to A) make sure every single character doesnt look the same B) creatures look different C) have varied environments, D) action shots.

Look at those color shots, none of those above really look like something the artists had to think hard about or be that challenging. Most middle and high school art students do the fruit basket drawing, the halloween basket is basically that. Not hard.
You have to see her artbook then because you clearly don't know what she is capable of. She has a lot of creativity and TPN just has a bunch of kids and some demons, it is hardly a challenge for her, really. It is more a challenge for the writer, who is not her, to create different characters in personality and such, not hers with their physical appearance.

You are not analyzing deep enough the drawings, not that I expected...
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Posuka's talent is wasted because Shirai is an exposition lover. Simple like that.
This is also to blame... I wonder if TPN would be better as a LN.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Anyway, despite being a great illustrator, I don't think she's a great visual storyteller yet. It is not difficult to find inconsistencies in the design of the characters from one panel to another.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
This is also to blame... I wonder if TPN would be better as a LN.
Maybe. More time, more space.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I think her color pages are as good as that arts, its just different, and Neverland its just starting to show more of the world and creatures, you can't compare with a random art full of things.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
The CPs are very beautiful. Must be the reason why the series gets one every two weeks XD
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top