Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I was wondering why you were so attached to DavidPro. They'll probably be busy with Jojo from here on out. They broke away from doing Jojo for a year and their output was less than impressive. Sakurada Reset was garbage and looked horrible and Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On was also terrible. Planeterian was another short project they did, it was good. They should seriously just stick to Jojo, since it's what put them on the radar and they're really good at adapting it, plus it's very successful. Level E was a collaboration with Pierrot, haven't seen it yet. I personally think Bones are the best option based off of their recent output regarding action battle shounen stuff and because they're able to adapt any character design style, if you look at all their history, they always have crazy unique designs from one project to another.
Odd for an anime to get beyond its initial 48 episodes and outlast the popularity of the game and be called terrible is one of the oddest things i read today. MHST_rideOn is a perfect anime
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Odd for an anime to get beyond its initial 48 episodes and outlast the popularity of the game and be called terrible is one of the oddest things i read today. MHST_rideOn is a perfect anime
I would call Monster Hunter far from perfect, it's cheap, it looks bad, the target audience for it is clearly younger kids. The fact that it got extended has nothing to do with its quality, the producers were probably happy with how well the ratings were doing or something similar to that.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is almost no point discussing the anime studio for Kimetsu when there is no announcement yet. Just relax and enjoy the manga. It will come when it comes.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
@cody why are you all over Bones though (unless youre their international PR rep)? Theres like over 40 capable anime studios, actually they could even pick a newer younger studio for it. The Bones love is like the madhouse love from a few months bacck where people just wanted madhouse to do every single new franchise :(
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
the target audience for it is clearly younger kids.
I dont understand, stuff for kids can be good.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Lol if BC gets cancelled I bet people are going to blame Asta's voice. Prepare for the cringe if it does get axed.

Its performing far weaker than Toriko which was one of the more "recent" titles that got a big push

Theres like over 40 capable anime studios, actually they could even pick a newer younger studio for it. The Bones love is like the madhouse love from a few months bacck where people just wanted madhouse to do every single new franchise :(
Its actually getting annoying right now lol
 
Last edited:

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

There is almost no point discussing the anime studio for Kimetsu when there is no announcement yet. Just relax and enjoy the manga. It will come when it comes.
I started the whole speculation on what series would be the next ones to get adapted after we are sure Yuuna is getting an anime. My top picks were Kimetsu, Hinomaru and Neverland. The discussion happened to concentrate on Kimetsu, it's not like the series gets that much discussion around it anyway. This topic probably won't get mentioned in a while either, so whatever.


@SharkBait because I'm a massive fan of their work and I'm looking at their recent adaptations (from 2014-present day), they've all been pretty great, nothing wrong with wanting one of the best studios to adapt one of my favorite ongoing manga series right now, at least let me dream about it xD. I wish I had a close relationship with Bones, but unfortunately, I'm just a fan of their works. There are a bunch of studios, and I did say that WIT and Production IG would also be great, then listed other possibilities, I've just been saying why I want Bones so much because people were asking why. People were obsessed with Madhouse because they were the best studio out there for a while, until they went bankrupt in 2011, things went downhill from there, but people haven't fully realized that Madhouse are nothing like they used to be, OPM just happened to become their production. Bones are in my eyes the best animation studio right now.

Also, regarding Monster Hunter, I never said stuff for kids can't be good. I was just saying the Monster Hunter anime isn't good, at least in my opinion.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Its actually getting annoying right now lol
I guess people are finally realizing that Bones are the new Madhouse. BnHA probably had a lot to do with it.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I find OLM to be the best studio, look at how consistently it delivers on making games extremely exciting affairs and how they can craft stunning original storylines. (see CFvanguardG & fcBuddyfight, BeyBlade Burst, LBX), and their work on manga adaptations is commendably (see 100% Pascal)
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I find OLM to be the best studio, look at how consistently it delivers on making games extremely exciting affairs and how they can craft stunning original storylines. (see CFvanguardG & fcBuddyfight, BeyBlade Burst, LBX), and their work on manga adaptations is commendably (see 100% Pascal)
I haven't seen too much from them lately, but the Pokemon Sun and Moon anime is freaking amazing, their new digital animation techniques make the new pokemon anime more fun than it's ever been, at least for me, the last time I watched the Pokemon anime was in the Diamond and Pearl era, and that wasn't anything special.

To keep things on topic to WSJ, I don't think they've done much from Jump magazines in general.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
>People like studios that consistently do good work over unknown or studios that are known for dishing subpar work

Perish the thought! Though I'm in the agreement that MADHOUSE isnt nearly as good as they used to be and the majority of people hyping them are people who watched HxH 2011 and OPM ( Lord, I hope those same people aren't going to start praising JC Staff now since they're doing S2). BONES just recently returned on good graces with people again after a three year slump with Kekkai Sensen being their biggest hit in years then last year with Heroaca and Mob Psycho which helped them get out of the red after so long, they're just a studio that produces good work consistently despite their occassional slip ups. MAPPA is worse than both, they've never been consistent yet people praise them as the second coming of Jesus and even after the disaster which was Virgin Soul they just announced that they're adapting Banana Fish which melt away all the hate I had for them.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
Professional and passionate staff make the anime, not studio names.

These are the words I go by in times when even DEEN can make both best drama and best comedy two years in a row.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
>People like studios that consistently do good work over unknown or studios that are known for dishing subpar work

Perish the thought! Though I'm in the agreement that MADHOUSE isnt nearly as good as they used to be and the majority of people hyping them are people who watched HxH 2011 and OPM ( Lord, I hope those same people aren't going to start praising JC Staff now since they're doing S2). BONES just recently returned on good graces with people again after a three year slump with Kekkai Sensen being their biggest hit in years then last year with Heroaca and Mob Psycho which helped them get out of the red after so long, they're just a studio that produces good work consistently despite their occassional slip ups. MAPPA is worse than both, they've never been consistent yet people praise them as the second coming of Jesus and even after the disaster which was Virgin Soul they just announced that they're adapting Banana Fish which melt away all the hate I had for them.
Yeah, I'm surprised more people aren't that pumped with the idea of Bones, one of the most consistent studios all around adapting more Jump stuff, they've finally had their breakthrough with the big 3 publishers, I personally want them to adapt as many good or promising manga from the big publishers. Madhouse happened to have some last legs because of HxH, but as I pointed out, the staff that did that left to form studio VOLN and OPM was a once in a lifetime coincidental miracle production. Bones, even if they've struggled financially at points throughout the years, they still managed to bounce back and they still always came out with some of the best new anime productions on a yearly basis. Also, all studios are pretty much in the red, except like 2-3. While MAPPA haven't exactly been flawless or anything lately, I still think they've been better than Madhouse in recent times to an extent, at least they aren't making a bunch of relatively cheapish light novel adaptations and they're trying to innovate to an extent, with stuff like Zankyou no Terror, that show had scary good visuals and ideas, but for a lot of people, the story wasn't the best. Stuff like Ushio to Tora, the first Garo anime, the third Garo anime and Sakamichi no Apollon were things I've enjoyed from them, even Yuri on Ice.


Professional and passionate staff make the anime, not studio names.

These are the words I go by in times when even DEEN can make both best drama and best comedy two years in a row.
I can agree with you to an extent, but also disagree. Studios do matter and so does the staff. Could have a show like Mob Psycho looked as good and been as solidly produced and well executed if it were made by another studio with a weaker overall core of staff and members, animators? While Deen did a great job on Rakugo and Konosuba, they also had a lot of very sub par stuff in that period as well. 2016 was a shockingly good year for them and 2017 was pretty bad. From Bones, you can expect a certain level of quality and consistency, almost always, because they have an incredible core of talented people that work for them.
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Professional and passionate staff make the anime, not studio names.

These are the words I go by in times when even DEEN can make both best drama and best comedy two years in a row.
And then they did one of the worst shows of the year The Reflection last season. Its best to say that those shows were exceptions if anything. But you're right in that you should always mark your expectations with the staff involved and not the studio in itself which I'll forever bring up when people keep bringing up a Neverland anime.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Off topic, but man that Reflection show got really bad reception. It was like the version of MHA that would of got canceled in 10 weeks.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I was wondering why you were so attached to DavidPro. They'll probably be busy with Jojo from here on out. They broke away from doing Jojo for a year and their output was less than impressive. Sakurada Reset was garbage and looked horrible and Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On was also terrible. Planeterian was another short project they did, it was good. They should seriously just stick to Jojo, since it's what put them on the radar and they're really good at adapting it, plus it's very successful. Level E was a collaboration with Pierrot, haven't seen it yet. I personally think Bones are the best option based off of their recent output regarding action battle shounen stuff and because they're able to adapt any character design style, if you look at all their history, they always have crazy unique designs from one project to another.
Reset was garbage, not sure about Monster Hunter. Level E was a collab but I saw more of David Pro than Pierrot in that anime. Both are WSJ titles so that's why I brought that up. I enjoyed both titles a lot.

I know they'll have their hands busy with part 5. Part 4's production was hectic since they outsourced quite a bit to other studios but it was fixed in the BD's.

Anyway it was just wishful thinking nothing to take seriously.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,078
Reaction score
6,935
Gender
Male
Country
United States
The superior Bones super hero show is actually Concrete Revolution.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
... But you're right in that you should always mark your expectations with the staff involved and not the studio in itself which I'll forever bring up when people keep bringing up a Neverland anime.
I definitely agree with you on Neverland, that will seriously need an appropriate staff to work on it. An approapriate director would be the director behind Death Note and AOT for example, in my opinion, since he's also closely tied to WIT and Production I.G now, that would be ideal. A good studio is also definitely necessary for it, since it has super unique designs that will be tough to adapt in animation, it's in a similar scenario to Kimetsu, Bones, Wit or Production IG would also be great picks for Neverland in my eyes.


Reset was garbage, not sure about Monster Hunter. Level E was a collab but I saw more of David Pro than Pierrot in that anime. Both are WSJ titles so that's why I brought that up. I enjoyed both titles a lot.

I know they'll have their hands busy with part 5. Part 4's production was hectic since they outsourced quite a bit to other studios but it was fixed in the BD's.

Anyway it was just wishful thinking nothing to take seriously.
I wouldn't mind DavidPro for Kimetsu, a million times better than Pierrot or Toei.

The superior Bones super hero show is actually Concrete Revolution.
I've never seen it, but I did see it had some crazy animation highlights and a very unique visual style with the shading it had.
 

Silverblade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
595
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
Lithuania
I can agree with you to an extent, but also disagree. Studios do matter and so does the staff. Could have a show like Mob Psycho looked as good and been as solidly produced and well executed if it were made by another studio with a weaker overall core of staff and members, animators? While Deen did a great job on Rakugo and Konosuba, they also had a lot of very sub par stuff in that period as well. 2016 was a shockingly good year for them and 2017 was pretty bad. From Bones, you can expect a certain level of quality and consistency, almost always, because they have an incredible core of talented people that work for them.
And then they did one of the worst shows of the year The Reflection last season. Its best to say that those shows were exceptions if anything. But you're right in that you should always mark your expectations with the staff involved and not the studio in itself which I'll forever bring up when people keep bringing up a Neverland anime.
I will reply to these two quotes at once if you don't mind.

Both the best, the worst, and all of the studios in the between can happen to make an exception to their usual result. Of course, some studios are more consistent than the others, and they build their reputation upon that consistency, and consequently we the viewers can't help but base our expectations on. However, due to the nature of the industry, especially the mobility of freelance staff, and the tight connection network, the circumstances can lead to those aforementioned exceptional results. Not to go far looking for examples, Kekkai Sensen had Bones strong core studio production values, but what really made it a unique show was the outsider director from Toei.

This is why I think it is better to rein in those expectations, and be open to most possibilities and opportunities.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I definitely agree with you on Neverland, that will seriously need an appropriate staff to work on it. An approapriate director would be the director behind Death Note and AOT for example, in my opinion, since he's also closely tied to WIT and Production I.G now, that would be ideal. A good studio is also definitely necessary for it, since it has super unique designs that will be tough to adapt in animation, it's in a similar scenario to Kimetsu, Bones, Wit or Production IG would also be great picks for Neverland in my eyes.
Eh. I don't think that Araki would be a good fit for Neverland just for the sheer fact that tge style of his direction is the complete opposite of what the manga goes for it was the same issue with Death Note and Attack On Titan though some would say that the over the top nature of the adaptation helped Death Note a lot because at its core it's a very pulpy and dumb story but with Attack On Titan he turned a manga eith horror and dramatic elements into a dumb action anime. Now if you had said the same team that's doing Ancient Magus Bride then I'll agree.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I will reply to these two quotes at once if you don't mind.

Both the best, the worst, and all of the studios in the between can happen to make an exception to their usual result. Of course, some studios are more consistent than the others, and they build their reputation upon that consistency, and consequently we the viewers can't help but base our expectations on. However, due to the nature of the industry, especially the mobility of freelance staff, and the tight connection network, the circumstances can lead to those aforementioned exceptional results. Not to go far looking for examples, Kekkai Sensen had Bones strong core studio production values, but what really made it a unique show was the outsider director from Toei.

This is why I think it is better to rein in those expectations, and be open to most possibilities and opportunities.
I think it's fine to have expectations from Bones, since they almost always deliver. Sure, they do hire a lot of talented freelance staff, but their core is undeniably of the the best from all animation studios. Season 2 of Kekkai Sensen still has solid directing even without season 1's director and it sill has incredible animation highlights and great consistency. I don't mind more possibilities, as long as things end up well and the people in charge deliver, I know if something goes to Bones, chances are, they most likely will deliver, that's my outlook at least. Also, do you think Season 1 of Kekkai Sensen would've been as exceptional under another studio, even with season 1's director, probably not.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Eh. I don't think that Araki would be a good fit for Neverland just for the sheer fact that tge style of his direction is the complete opposite of what the manga goes for it was the same issue with Death Note and Attack On Titan though some would say that the over the top nature of the adaptation helped Death Note a lot because at its core it's a very pulpy and dumb story but with Attack On Titan he turned a manga eith horror and dramatic elements into a dumb action anime. Now if you had said the same team that's doing Ancient Magus Bride then I'll agree.
I'd be completely fine with the Magus team doing Neverland, that show has some stunning art and the attention to detail is some of the best I've seen in a while when it comes to an adaptation, Neverland would need stunning visuals to stand out and to respect Posuka's vision. Araki came to mind because it seems he has the right formula to make mega hits, I'd expect Shueisha want Neverland to take off in a similar way that AOT did and I did see some similarities between the AOT manga and the start of Neverland's.
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Yup, no MP100 s2. So far we're only getting an OVA with Reigen.
According to Anime News Network, It's a compilation film of the first season with Reigen telling the story and a little bit new material
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top