Mag Talk - JUMP SQ News and Discussion (2014 - 2021) | Page 77 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk JUMP SQ News and Discussion (2014 - 2021)

Your opinion about the 1st episode of Platinum End?

• Great

• Good

• Decent

• Bad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Kono Oto Tomare as Lead CP... It is a futile hope, but I hope that a Lead CP of the series brings an anime announcement one day...

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember Aharen also showed up in WSJ a while ago, and now it's appearing in Jump SQ, so I'm assuming it must be doing pretty well for itself. Is it as rare as I'm thinking it is for Jump+ series to appear in their physical magazines, especially multiple times?

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Yeah, BT isn't going anywhere for now. It isn't selling that badly and Jump SQ really need some new fresh stuff. It sells decently, about 20k per volume I think. The manga was also licensed by Viz, so I have a feeling that's also a good sign for it.

Let's look at it this way, what else do SQ have besides Seraph, Blue Exorcist, which are huge sellers, but can't go on for forever.

Platinum End, which is selling less and less with each new volume, instead of growing, it will most likely get an anime, but I'm not expecting much(it could give the manga a huge boost though).

New Prince of Tennis, which sells pretty well and it will probably continue running until the author is done with the franchise.

Twin Star Exorcists, which also sells well but never got a huge boost from the anime, it doesn't seem to reach the 100kmark when new volumes come out.

Kono Oto Tomare! sells pretty well, I know it sells at least 50k per volume, but from what I've heard it might end soon.

I think the latest volume for Moriarty the Patriot sold somewhere between 55k-65k, which is pretty good, it's showing growth. The Tokuen Ranbu manga seems to sell about 45k per volume so far, but it's just cheap fujobait that isn't going to go on for that long.

You know what, it would be a bad idea to axe not only Black Torch, but Kemono Jihen and Futaribocchi Sensou as well. If they decide to cancel such promising new manga, then I don't see what's the point of even trying to give the newer authors a chance in the magazine in the first place. I just don't see them getting anything else that is better from new authors, if they can't realize that much, then shame on the magazine. I know BT and Kemono Jihen are doing pretty much the same in terms of volume sales, both sell around 20k per volume I think. Haven't followed Futaribocchi Sensou's sales so far, so I don't know how well it's doing.

There's also the new Kenshin stuff, but that probably won't last for that long. Sentaku no Toki looks interesting and so does Sentaku no Toki.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like your optimism but this is Shueisha...BT has been bottoming out for the past couple months. That means no one is giving it votes. 20k is fine for volume one but there should be improvement with every volume even if it's minimal. Jump has no reason to show mercy to BT or anything else when they can cancel it and replace it with something with more potential. If BT could at least rank in the middle consistently and start making the top 50 you'd be right. But I think its days are numbered. And this is coming from a fan. BT is the first new manga in a long while I've been interested in. So I'm pretty disappointed. But it is what it is.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
I like your optimism but this is Shueisha...BT has been bottoming out for the past couple months. That means no one is giving it votes. 20k is fine for volume one but there should be improvement with every volume even if it's minimal. Jump has no reason to show mercy to BT or anything else when they can cancel it and replace it with something with more potential. If BT could at least rank in the middle consistently and start making the top 50 you'd be right. But I think its days are numbered. And this is coming from a fan. BT is the first new manga in a long while I've been interested in. So I'm pretty disappointed. But it is what it is.
But as I was saying, what can they possibly get with more potential from new authors? They must know themselves that coming across something even better than BT at the core is somewhat unrealistic, I feel like they'll let it stick around for a while for now, in a similar way to 7th garden. At least Kemono Jihen and BT have taken off to a minimal extent, if they get axed, chances are, everything else they attempt to serialize after from new authors will be complete failures and do even worse than these 2, I feel like they will try their best to develop these to an extent.

If they want nothing but instant hits, then they should only serialize mangaka that had succesful series in the past and skip over the new inexperienced mangaka.

Last edited:

Ecchi Boy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Negative thinking will only give you negative results, be more positive. when things get axed there is a reason the more you are positive the more good things happened trust me I know.

"One must suffer in order to see the light"
"Sometimes not getting what we want is a good thing"

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States
But as I was saying, what can they possibly get with more potential from new authors? They must know themselves that coming across something even better than BT at the core is somewhat unrealistic, I feel like they'll let it stick around for a while for now, in a similar way to 7th garden. At least Kemono Jihen and BT have taken off to a minimal extent, if they get axed, chances are, everything else they attempt to serialize after from new authors will be complete failures and do even worse than these 2, I feel like they will try their best to develop these to an extent.

If they want nothing but instant hits, then they should only serialize mangaka that had succesful series in the past and skip over the new inexperienced mangaka.
Well finding popular hits is difficult, sure. There's a strong possibility that whatever replaces BT will be a flop as well...but maybe it wouldn't be. All we can say is that BT isn't a success right now. If they gave it time to grow maybe it will improve idk. Probably not. But either way, it's taking up space. And there's no storage of mangaka that want their shot in Jump or SQ. They can afford to cancel any series that aren't performing up to snuff and replace them. And then replace those until they get the results they want.

Oda was a novice when he started One Piece. Truthfully a hit can come from anyone at anytime. My point is that veteran or not, Jump has expectations. Anyone that doesn't meet them is at some point going to get the boot.

That being said, I will wish BT the best and hope that it manages to hang in there

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
If they have unrealistic expectations for new mangaka, then they'll never get the results they want. I don't see the point in bringing up Oda. SQ clearly want new talent into the magazine. Even if BT gets the boot, I don't think it will be that soon, hopefully it survives. SQ clearly want some new fresh action oriented stuff and Kemono Jihen and BT seem like great candidates for the future of the magazine for now.

DeidaraGrimmjow

Reaction score
Country
United States
If they have unrealistic expectations for new mangaka, then they'll never get the results they want. I don't see the point in bringing up Oda. SQ clearly want new talent into the magazine. Even if BT gets the boot, I don't think it will be that soon, hopefully it survives. SQ clearly want some new fresh action oriented stuff and Kemono Jihen and BT seem like great candidates for the future of the magazine for now.
My only point in bringing up Oda is that just because someone is a novice or beginner doesn't mean they aren't expected to produce results. He's an extreme example but lots of Jump's classics were by newbies. I too hope that BT survives and that I would like to see it as a popular battle manga in the future. Or at least a moderately popular one. But we unfortunately aren't the ones making the decisions about what stays or goes. I'm only arguing that the people at SQ might not be so willing to let it stay. So I guess time will tell. I hope your right but I worry for BT's future if it doesn't improve significantly and soon.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Kemono Jihen isn't written by a rookie

RIP Muddy
RIP Hokenshitsu no Shinigami

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Kemono Jihen isn't written by a rookie

RIP Muddy
RIP Hokenshitsu no Shinigami
Hmm, he did have a 10 volume series in WSJ, but it wasn't that succesful, but I guess I shouldn't call him a rookie. He isn't exactly a big name mangaka, that's for sure.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
the mangaka is a she

KJ is as successful as Shinigami, both are 30k club members

I don't think KJ as a lost cause like BT and Futaribocchi Sensou, it sells better and jumps all over the toc

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
the mangaka is a she

KJ is as successful as Shinigami, both are 30k club members

I don't think KJ as a lost cause like BT and Futaribocchi Sensou, it sells better and jumps all over the toc
My bad, I don't really know much about her, but I really adored the 3 translated chapters from Kemono Jihen. BT seems to be doing about the same in terms of sales, at least from what I can remember, maybe Kemono tends to be slightly higer on the TOC than BT, but I'm no expert. I'm not aware of how well Futariboochi is performing, but I wouldn't call BT a lost cause just yet, maybe I'm just naive, who knows.

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
we don't have sales data for BT we have one for KJ, so 1 is doing better than the other

47. Kemono Jihen #1 (15,137 / 29,655)
28. Kemono Jihen #2 (22,749)

57 9784088810973 BLACK TORCH 1 集英社 タカキツヨシ 2017.4.4 (6 days)
89 9784088811390 BLACK TORCH 2 集英社 タカキツヨシ 2017.8.4 (3 days)

as to the "lost cause" comment
can you name 1 manga that keep ranking dead last for multiple issues then recovered and became a success?
see what I mean?
it's hopeless

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
we don't have sales data for BT we have one for KJ, so 1 is doing better than the other

47. Kemono Jihen #1 (15,137 / 29,655)
28. Kemono Jihen #2 (22,749)

57 9784088810973 BLACK TORCH 1 集英社 タカキツヨシ 2017.4.4 (6 days)
89 9784088811390 BLACK TORCH 2 集英社 タカキツヨシ 2017.8.4 (3 days)

as to the "lost cause" comment
can you name 1 manga that keep ranking dead last for multiple issues then recovered and became a success?
see what I mean?
it's hopeless
I dobut BT has been only been ranking dead last, maybe it has been mostly at the bottom, but not just dead last all the time. I have seen manga that were struggling in the bottom area that eventually managed to pick up like Kimetsu no Yaiba if I had to think of a recent example. I'm no expert on these things and I can't say I know all of BT's rankings perfectly, but I feel like it hasn't been at the bottom only, I mean, next issue it is getting a color page and who posted the TOC said it's getting reprints, so I don't think it has no chances of living or think that it's hopeless. I honestly also don't know how important the TOC is for this magazine, since I haven't been following it in close detail over the years.

Also, good to see Kemono improving a bit. Now if only we got translations.

Edit: Also, do you think Viz would've bothered to license the manga if they knew it was dead and had no chances of developing much in the future? They also licensed something like Fire Torch from jump+ that will end at volume 8, but that is ending naturally.

Viz also licensed 7th Garden, but that was already more established and survived for like 8 or 9 volumes I think. They even moved 7th Garden online so it could finish there so there would be new slots for upcoming mangaka, rookies and whatever.

Last edited:

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
All of Jump magazine work the same, if you're placed at the back you are not doing well

it's dead last this November
it's dead last in October
it's second to last in August (last was Marriage Hunter final chapter)
it's third to last July (last was Marriage Hunter climax and Wonder Rabbit finale chapters)

they give cp to all manga with volume release it doesn't mean anything
even stuff that get cancelled get reprints so again it doesn't mean anything
Viz pick random things to license most of the time, Gakkyu Hotei, Red Sprite, Barrage, Hungry Joker, Love Rush all testify to this so again it doesn't mean anything to its future

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
But they didn't print Red Sprite and Love Rush, those ones are from the same time period to BT. and none of the examples you gave were monthly publications I guess we'll find out with time. What about the reprints though? Isn't that a good sign? Also, it hasn't only been dead last as you said, it has been at the bottom section.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Sloppily put together compilation of recent Jump SQ series volume sales, from ANN.

I said previously that I saw Tokuen Ranbu sell 45k or something like that, well I guess it was a different manga or a light novel, which isn't surprising, since there are multiple versions of the Tokuen Ranbu franchise.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I honestly don’t know how Black Torch is even still alive... But I think because of the whole Bleach comparison thing, it’s probably bigger in the West than it is in Japan. Not a surprise it was licensed, even if it gets cancelled soon.

I’ll be really sad if Kemono or Futaribocchi are cancelled. Things look positive for Kemono, not so much for Futaribocchi though :(. Both great series among some of the trash that plagues this magazines nowadays. Sq is normally pretty generous with time before cancellation though, so hopefully Futaribocchi can find its place.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
"Sq is normally pretty generous with time before cancellation though, so hopefully Futaribocchi can find its place. "
There you go, you explained why BT is running yourself. It also got reprints for its volumes, so it clearly is more popular in Japan stil, because they're the only ones that are buying the series for now. I wonder what sales Futariboochi has.

Also, another reason why BT is alive is because SQ clearly wanted new manga that revolve around a team of people with some sort of powers solving supernatural related issues. It can't be a coincidence that Kemono Jihen and BT came out at the same time almost.

Last edited:

Mammo

Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
SQ clearly wanted new manga that revolve around a team of people with some sort of powers solving supernatural related issues.
you just described the entire magazine battle manga line up
that their whole gimmick, exorcism and fighting demons

Status
Not open for further replies.