Mag Talk - Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk | Page 751 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2017] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the thing about Gintama is, if the anime is entering the final manga arc in January 2018, that means there can only be so much content left to release in manga format, it will end soon, because the anime will catch up. Yeah, you do have a point regarding the Spring Weapon popularity poll, if the manga ends, it will have to be after that gets released.

I do remember Cross Account getting a reprint, but it might not mean that much.
Oh, I didn't realize the anime was going to end on the final manga chapter. I'm glad to hear that they're doing that since the series has been around for so long. I remember seeing posts about stores running out of Cross Account volumes, so to some degree, its popularity was underestimated. That won't be enough to save it long-term in WSJ though, unless it gets transferred to Jump+ where it could have a bit more life in it.
Perhaps Spring Weapon will end with it's popularity poll results, as a celebratory last colour page of sorts. I feel like with how ridiculously favoured by editors it's been, it'll end up getting the cover and lead colour for its finale even if it's a cancellation.

Surely at this point even the higher ups who love it so much must be finding it hard to justify its continuation, it sells worse than the instant flops, has had zero growth whatsoever since it started, and it hasn't left the bottom 5 for months other than colour pages.
Spring Weapon is in the mid-50s for chapter count right now. Samon ended on chapter 89 and I believe it had 10 volumes. If I had to guess, Spring Weapon's run will be shorter, especially if they have another major serialization run like there was last year. I think Samon's time may have ended when it did to make room for the 6 new series that were introduced, even though 2 flopped ASAP and Hungry Marie didn't do well either.

tirakai

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Scotland
There always seems to be one series like Spring Weapon hanging around for 40-80 chapters due to getting occasional high ranks and settling in just barely above the instant flops. Magico, Kurogane, Soul Catcher(s), Samon and so on. Jump seems to like having something around that does well enough to not be a first choice when cancellation rounds come but badly enough that they can get rid of it in a bigger batch without being missed much.

That said what makes Spring Weapon different to the others is it didn't even start as a 'just barely safe' kind of series, I remember it didn't leave the bottom until ch 14 or something which is past the point many series get cancelled at (and even from the same batch Amalgam sold significantly more than it yet it was cancelled first round).

I wonder if Dance Club is the reason for it somehow not getting cancelled after the first 5 chapters went straight to the bottom, Yokota did say he chose to end it early despite the finale feeling pretty rushed. Perhaps Dance Club's decision to end was pretty last minute, and Spring Weapon was just the lucky one it saved. It's highly unlikely but there must've been something we don't know about that saved it from immediate cancellation.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Where did the author for Tiny Dancers say that he chose to end it early?

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
There always seems to be one series like Spring Weapon hanging around for 40-80 chapters due to getting occasional high ranks and settling in just barely above the instant flops. Magico, Kurogane, Soul Catcher(s), Samon and so on. Jump seems to like having something around that does well enough to not be a first choice when cancellation rounds come but badly enough that they can get rid of it in a bigger batch without being missed much.

That said what makes Spring Weapon different to the others is it didn't even start as a 'just barely safe' kind of series, I remember it didn't leave the bottom until ch 14 or something which is past the point many series get cancelled at (and even from the same batch Amalgam sold significantly more than it yet it was cancelled first round).

I wonder if Dance Club is the reason for it somehow not getting cancelled after the first 5 chapters went straight to the bottom, Yokota did say he chose to end it early despite the finale feeling pretty rushed. Perhaps Dance Club's decision to end was pretty last minute, and Spring Weapon was just the lucky one it saved. It's highly unlikely but there must've been something we don't know about that saved it from immediate cancellation.
Interesting stuff, never knew about most of these series. Just looked up Dance Club and it had 10 volumes and 87 chapters: almost the same as Samon. Probably purely coincidental, but if Spring Weapon also ends with 10 volumes and 85-90 chapters, I'll put on my tin foil hat and be suspicious lol

Silverblade

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
Where did the author for Tiny Dancers say that he chose to end it early?
It's more circumstancial evidence than a direct statement. YOKO managed to complete his big climactic arc, gave a satisfactory conclusion to main plotlines, and even squeezed a little epilogue in the end.
And then there was his final ToC comment which could be interpreted to support this idea.

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
It's more circumstancial evidence than a direct statement. YOKO managed to complete his big climactic arc, gave a satisfactory conclusion to main plotlines, and even squeezed a little epilogue in the end.
And then there was his final ToC comment which could be interpreted to support this idea.
I mean, it doesn't really seem to suggest he wanted to end things early though.

Silverblade

Reaction score
Country
Lithuania
I mean, it doesn't really seem to suggest he wanted to end things early though.
Did YOKO want to end things with just ten volumes? Most likely no.
Did YOKO choose to end on a high point and on his own terms and not to keep risking a less fortunate cancellation? More likely than you think.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
52号
ワンピ
鬼滅
ストーン
ネバラン
ブラクロ
銀魂
勉強
ヒロアカ
ゴーレム
火ノ丸 ※Cカラー
フルドラ
機甲少年イージス ※特別読切
リコピン
ロボ ※Cカラー
ソーマ
ハイキュー
ゆらぎ
クロアカ
青春
シューダン
リコピン

1号 ※50周年特大発表あり
巻頭:ハイキュー
Cカラー:
勉強&ゆらぎ ※コラボ企画:作者交替描き下ろしポスター
ストーン
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Break for Psi in #52 because author is sick.
In #01 will be big news for Jump's 50th anniversary
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Its early tocs, because thursday will be public holliday in Japan.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Break for Psi in #52 because author is sick.
In #01 will be big news for Jump's 50th anniversary
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Its early tocs, because thursday will be public holliday in Japan.
Issue 52:
One Piece (Cover/Lead CP)

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr. Stone
The Promised Neverland
Black Clover
Gintama
We Never Learn
My Hero Academia
Golem Hearts
Hinomaru Zumo (CP)
Full Drive
Kiko Shonen Ijitsu (Oneshot)
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Cross Account
Spring Weapon No. 1
Shudan!
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (2)

Absent: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K

Issue 1:
Cover/Lead CP: Haikyuu!!
CPs
: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san and We Never Learn (Included Yuuna/WNL Collab Poster), Dr. Stone

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Issue 52:
One Piece (Cover/Lead CP)

Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr. Stone
The Promised Neverland
Black Clover
Gintama
We Never Learn
My Hero Academia
Golem Hearts
Hinomaru Zumo (CP)
Full Drive
Kiko Shonen Ijitsu (Oneshot)
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene
Robot x Laserbeam (CP)
Shokugeki no Soma
Haikyuu!!
Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Cross Account
Spring Weapon No. 1
Shudan!
Tomatoypoo no Lycopene (2)

Absent: The Disastrous Life of Saiki K
I hope Saiki's author gets better soon. Gintama higher than usual, Haikyuu also seems low as well. Cross Account gasping for air near the bottom of the barrel, and Spring Weapon goes another week not at the complete bottom. Not a fan of seeing Yuuna slumming near the bottom by the "dead men walking" series....
Issue 1:
CPs
: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san and We Never Learn (Included Collab Poster), Dr. Stone
But seeing this completely makes up for it! Yuuna and We Never Learn both getting color in the same issue is amazing, adding Dr. Stone is a cherry on top. Is that poster referring to the WNL poster that was in Giga, or is it some combined Yuuna and WNL colored poster?

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
But seeing this completely makes up for it! Yuuna and We Never Learn both getting color in the same issue is amazing, adding Dr. Stone is a cherry on top. Is that poster referring to the WNL poster that was in Giga, or is it some combined Yuuna and WNL colored poster?
The poster is a collab between the authors, so the combined poster probably.

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
The poster is a collab between the authors, so the combined poster probably.
:zomg This is already shaping up to be a great year for WSJ. My two favorite series getting a collab poster is pretty unexpected, but super awesome

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Wait what, super early unexpected random surprise TOC?

What can I say, I'm glad for the top 3, these series have been ranking greatly recently and very consistently.
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Dr. Stone
The Promised Neverland

As we discussed earlier, the future is uncertain for the bottom three:
Cross Account
Spring Weapon No. 1
Shudan!

Last edited:

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I'm happy for the top 3, but sad with Yuuna's position, the manga deserves a little more visibility.
Issue 1:
CPs
: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san and We Never Learn (Included Yuuna/WNL Collab Poster), Dr. Stone
A poster collaboration of WNL and Yuuna-san is something unexpected for me, and good at the same time.
As we discussed earlier, the future is uncertain for the bottom three:
Cross Account
Spring Weapon No. 1
Shudan!
I think Shuudan and Cross Account will be canceled while Spring Weapon will be safe.
I also think Shuudan and Cross will be canceled only in February 2018 along with the end of Gintama.

PS:. Jump, bring me Shimabukuro back with a gag manga.

tirakai

Reaction score
Country
Scotland
Going by past years, we'll likely see at least one series end in December since they tend to keep a space open over the new year for extra oneshots. Maybe 2 if HxH does indeed come back. I don't know if we'll see any new series though, unless they just run 1 of them (since there's only 3 series that can be ended next month).

cody

Reaction score
Country
Joker
Other news from 5ch:
My Hero Academia season 3 will be coming next April.

Shudan had a large timeskip.
My hype thrusters are engaged for S3 of Bnha. Bones will spoil us yet again.

Just the thought of seeing
UNITED STATES OF SMASH
animated gets me overly excited. I will lose my shit.

Is the end near for Shuudan?

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Shudan had a large timeskip.
This is interesting, but I figured as much when I saw that "graduation" color page thing they did. Looks like it's taking a page out of Robot x Laserbeam's book and going for a sudden, early time skip. Makes me wonder if they're trying to give some epilogue chapters, or if they're making one final push to improve its popularity.

What would you guys say? Which has performed worse in its short run: Cross Account or Shudan?

Caiops

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Finally Haikyuu getting a low ranking, the manga has been terrible lately

Mr.Fujimaster

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Other news from 5ch:
My Hero Academia season 3 will be coming next April.
All Might vs. All for One is very close to happening.
I'm very excited.
What would you guys say? Which has performed worse in its short run: Cross Account or Shudan?
I think Shuudan was more likely to be successful.
Cross Account only has a good premise and good art, nothing more.
So I think Cross Account was worse than Shuudan.

Status
Not open for further replies.