For me, never. During the action chapters, I don't really feel anything. However, anything that you'd potentially find hype will be ruined by the anime's adaptation. Black Clover isn't good, but the fast pace of the manga helps to make it bearable. If you want to get into Black Clover, then I can't really recommend the anime in the first place.
From what I heard the the anime is on episode 11 and it hasn't even finished adapting chapter 10 yet, ouch, that's already one cour of the anime done, 1/4th of the anime was used to adapt 11 chapters of the manga, yikes.
I'll say that the anime is very good at getting people to know that Black Clover exists, given the amount of marketing that's being done to promote it. As for whether or not it makes people think its worth reading, that is another question entirely.
My opinion:
The pacing and voicework do much to exacerbate Tabata's flaws as a writer and doing little to promote his strength as an artist.
The pacing ok (even if it should not be a problem, at most the disgruntled go to the manga) but the dubbing? Honestly these complaints about Aster's voice seem to me quite sterile.
I'll say that the anime is very good at getting people to know that Black Clover exists, given the amount of marketing that's being done to promote it. As for whether or not it makes people think its worth reading, that is another question entirely..
I wouldn't trust the speculations of a site which says "manga content will be covered seen by the picture of Yuno and Gauche", when in fact these two never even met before.
Tabata's characters and world aren't exactly the most fleshed out, this is especially true in the earlier chapters and while the issue somewhat alleviated in the later chapters it never really goes away completely.
This can probably be attributed to the pacing of the manga which moves so quickly from fight to fight that there is barely any room to focus on them. The anime is stretching out the manga to the point that they are adapting 2/3 of a chapter on average per episode. So whatever plot points or characterization moments there are in Black Clover are stretched out paper thin and whatever empty space remains is padded with filler.
As filler, Studio Pierrot filler at that, they cannot add moments that directly affect the story in a significant way. So the studio's solution, for the most part, appears to be to take whatever the audience knows about the character and blow it up to a greater degree. The characters essentially become flanderized. The already underdeveloped characters come off as more cartoonish and one dimensional than they would have otherwise.
Asta and the Black Bulls get hit by this the worst. Asta's "Idiot Hero" traits get turned up to the point he comes across as having a legitimate mental condition. His stubbornness is turned up to the point that whenever he asks the nun to marry him multiple times, he comes off as delusional and creepy rather than tenacious. In addition to the grating performance of his voice actor these traits the anime exaggerated make him come off as grating to say the least.
The Black Bulls go from simply losing a simple bet and having to repay it to losing everything that they own in a gambling match and heaping the work onto someone else. This makes them come across as sleazy and pathetic rather than simply flawed.
As flawed as the source material is, the adaptation only serves to magnify the worst aspects and the poor animation in several episodes doesn't really reflect the legitimately good action of the manga.
I don't really know who's idea it was to pad the adaptation to 50+ episodes. Given the fast pacing of the manga Black Clover really would be a perfect fit for the "Seasonal" broadcasting model of 12-13 episodes per season.
I really hope Pierrot doesn't get any other Jump series any time soon, they're worse than Toei these days since Toei does at least focus on adapting the manga.
I don't really know who's idea it was to pad the adaptation to 50+ episodes. Given the fast pacing of the manga Black Clover really would be a perfect fit for the "Seasonal" broadcasting model of 12-13 episodes per season.
Food Wars shows that seasonal doesnt work. The adaptation ended up feeling lifeless and honestly mismanaged sapping the manga of any life it may have had. BLack Clover original content at least allows us more time to spend with many characters, see the world, and at least give us more of our characters.
I dont understand the legitimate mental condition aspect for Chibista, as there are many times in the anime where even he is pretty logical and coolheaded, often at times pointing out the flaws in Magna, Yami, Noelle, and others. The mental condition claim seems more suited to someone like Luffy of One Pieces fame.
Fam that’s exactly what I saying a few pages ago... it’s not that I have a problem with the personalities, Luck is funny how he always wants to fight and Charmy is precious. It’s just that that’s their only shtick, like every time you see them they bring up their character trope. Shit gets annoying that they don’t say or do anything outside their personality. I’m seriously hoping better characters are on the come up soon or at least more backstories cause some of the Bulls are blowing my life.
I really hope Pierrot doesn't get any other Jump series any time soon, they're worse than Toei these days since Toei does at least focus on adapting the manga.
Yeah, very faithfully, I loved how half of Naruto, Shippuden and Bleach were half fillers and flashbacks. Twin Star exorcists was doomed from the start as a monthly manga with like 25 chapters and 50 episodes, Black clover is being so faithfully adapted it has a ton of fillers and useless padding in the first cour. They have a horrible track record for WSJ stuff, let's be real here (there are old exceptions and a newer one is Last Exile, but that is a collab with another studio and it is a short anime). Sure, they adapted things like Baby Steps and Yona of the Dawn greatly, but those weren't WSJ titles.I don't know anything about Beelzebub's anime.
Food Wars shows that seasonal doesnt work. The adaptation ended up feeling lifeless and honestly mismanaged sapping the manga of any life it may have had. BLack Clover original content at least allows us more time to spend with many characters, see the world, and at least give us more of our characters.
I dont understand the legitimate mental condition aspect for Chibista, as there are many times in the anime where even he is pretty logical and coolheaded, often at times pointing out the flaws in Magna, Yami, Noelle, and others. The mental condition claim seems more suited to someone like Luffy of One Pieces fame.
Yeah, ignore Nisekoi, Haikyu, Kuroko, Saiki and BNHA conveniently, seasonal is the way to go, no padding out and no dumb filler, these are all recent WSJ series. And Food wars's anime is better off than Black Clover's and whatever Toei and Pierrot made regarding WSJ in recent years for the most part, at least Food Wars isn't a filler fiesta.
I really hope Pierrot doesn't get any other Jump series any time soon, they're worse than Toei these days since Toei does at least focus on adapting the manga.
We were lucky enough they didn't get BNHA, hopefully they focus on Black Clover and Boruto for a while, but they will claim their next victim, same applies to Toei, I think Toei are even worse.
The animation is terrible for the most part, very clunky and inconsistent. It has some highlights here and there, but the overall aspect of the show is pretty bad with a lot of off-model shots and some lazy animation tricks. A lot of static shots.
Oh that’s what you guys meant by faithfully. I was meaning that for everything I’ve seen SP hasn’t cut any scenes out or altered any, instead stringing them out to the extreme
It's something I fear and there are high chances it will happen. As I've said before, it really all comes down to luck of all things when it comes to adaptations. There is a 5-10% chance that a Kimetsu adaptation could be good/decent from Toei or Pierrot, but only if the anime is at most only 2 cours long for the first season.
There's been an update to our forum rules to broaden crediting/sourcing to all series news/announcement, etc. Please read HERE
To manage thread loading speeds and general user experience, we'd apppreciate if volume covers could be wrapped in spoiler threads, going forward. If you have any questions, reach out to a staff member. Thanks for your cooperation.
We use cookies
Essential cookies keep the site working. Analytics cookies help us improve.