Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inumaru

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Nov 7, 2011
Messages
412
Reaction score
285
Gender
Hidden
Country
Brazil
Shudan! was my favorite WSJ ongoing manga, but now my top 3 is:
MHA
SWN1
HQ!!
 

Winter Soldier

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
33
Reaction score
15
Country
Brazil
My top 3 of Shonen Jump right now:
The Promised Neverland
Haikyuu
Hunter x Hunter (or WNL, if HXH does not count)
I don't read One Piece and Kimetsu.
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
Top Three:

Hunter x Hunter (always my primary favorite)
Yakusoku no Neverland (easily my favorite new thing since Assassination Classroom)
One Piece (always love reading)

Hinomaru Zumou and Haikyu!! get honorable mentions because they are also consistently fantastic (though Haikyu!!'s current arc could wrap up faster imo).
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
One Piece
World Trigger (Kimetsu will probably occupy this spot until it returns)
My Hero Academia

By the way, what manga do you guys think has a perfect ending? Not just satisfying, but really cool.
In terms of Jump manga? Hikaru no Go, granted I know the manga continues on after a certain point but its an incredibly poignant and memorable scene nonetheless. Death Note, the manga suffered a huge drop in quality in the second half and the manga doesn't really hold up through subsequent re-readings but dammit the ending is incredibly powerful and stays with you and you have to wonder "how the hell did Jump get away with this?. Fist of the North Star, its no secret that so many 80's manga tend to have non-endings with the most famous being Akira Toriyama who pretty much just gave up towards the end of Dr. Slump and Dragonball but it terms of cool factor the ending to Fist of the North Star is just so fitting especially after the everything and the credits sequence still brings a smile to my face to this day.

Honorable mentions: Naruto- Kishimoto didn't really have to do much to make fans satisfied with the ending (unless you were shippers) but for what its worth he made the journey towards the end worthwhiled despite all the bumps along the way.

Slam Dunk - Yeah its a fairly controversial ending but its probably the most realistic ending to a sports manga you can get that caps off Sakuragi's journey pretty well.

Houshin Engi - The last half of Houshin Engi was...weird but its pretty much the most complete wrap everything up and tie it in a bow endings that came from the magazine in a while. The series is underrated as hell and deserves a read.


Now to flip the question which manga Jump or otherwise had the worst ending for you?
Hard Mode: No cancelled series.

Yu Yu Hakusho
Bleach
High School! Kimengumi
 
Last edited:

Winter Soldier

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jan 6, 2018
Messages
33
Reaction score
15
Country
Brazil
Speaking of Houshin Engi, is anyone watching the adaptation? I remember seeing some users commenting on it in the first episodes.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Speaking of Houshin Engi, is anyone watching the adaptation? I remember seeing some users commenting on it in the first episodes.
Just read the manga. I and many others have been disappointed with the adaptation thus far.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It was already published here at some point?
I didn't like the typography.

 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^ Yeah we knew Viz licensed it back in November/December. Whichever month had the anime convention. Then Amazon shows the date too shortly after.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm talking about the cover, not the announcement, the announcement I knew as well. XD
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
My top 3 in WSJ right now are We Never Learn, Yuuna, and Saiki. Honorable mention would go to Dr. Stone. Besides that, I don't really follow anything else from here. I read the first 3 chapters of Spring Weapon and Lycopene, but the odds of those being translated any further are slim and incredibly slim, respectively. The first 2 chapters of Act-Age were alright. I really want to see the girl succeed because of her siblings, but I'm worried that acting in that manner will literally drive her insane.

How has the Japanese reception been for the 2 new series recently now that they're getting closer to the 8 week mark?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Worst ending/final chapter because they make my blood boil, questionable, or too sad. These don't determine the quality/enjoyment of the series for me

Bleach final arc: it makes my blood boil

JoJo part 5: Because i don't understand what's going on in the final arc. If you look at me in the eyes and you say Part 5 makes sense you're lying.
JoJo part 6: So sad
Bakuman: this one needs one more chapter, like c'mon Ohba!!!
I also didn't satisfy with Hikaru no Go and Death Note ending. I read death note 3 times and hikaru twice.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Not a fan of that font, but it could be worse. I'll probably hold off on buying it until it gets closer to the release date. I hope it's a monthly release schedule.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Worst ending/final chapter because they make my blood boil, questionable, or too sad. These don't determine the quality/enjoyment of the series for me

Bleach final arc: it makes my blood boil

JoJo part 5: Because i don't understand what's going on in the final arc. If you look at me in the eyes and you say Part 5 makes sense you're lying.
JoJo part 6: So sad
Bakuman: this one needs one more chapter, like c'mon Ohba!!!
I also didn't satisfy with Hikaru no Go and Death Note ending. I read death note 3 times and hikaru twice.
I forgot all about Bakuman's ending. Man that was terrible
 

Divinenega

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 20, 2010
Messages
469
Reaction score
96
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Worst for me was definently Reborn's. Made it feel like literally everything the series had done didn't matter and felt like a giant middle finger to Tsuna's growth as a character
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Worst ending/final chapter because they make my blood boil, questionable, or too sad. These don't determine the quality/enjoyment of the series for me

Bleach final arc: it makes my blood boil

JoJo part 5: Because i don't understand what's going on in the final arc. If you look at me in the eyes and you say Part 5 makes sense you're lying.
JoJo part 6: So sad
Bakuman: this one needs one more chapter, like c'mon Ohba!!!
I also didn't satisfy with Hikaru no Go and Death Note ending. I read death note 3 times and hikaru twice.
When did you read part 5? Part 5 had awful translations and only recently was it fully translated. I remember being a bit confused, especially on KC's ability but my experience was a lot better when I reread it.

The final arc did make sense.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
How has the Japanese reception been for the 2 new series recently now that they're getting closer to the 8 week mark?
Act-age is causing a stir on 5ch mostly because the artist is a 20 year old girl. It gets pretty crazy in those threads especially since there's no moderator so I've seen whole threads derail with guys posting Shiro's tweets.

I don't want to go too deep into this here, but Soma needs a heaven-shaking change to pick up again. This Azami saga has gone on for 2.5 years already and the end is still not in sight. You can only go so far with cute girls stripping, especially recently when its almost exclusively the female judge and occasionally a female contestant. There are no stakes here because you know the rebels will win. Azami's character is also laughable and honestly looks to just be a plot device to get Erina to forgive him and say she's grown. He has almost no function after this rebellion unless they decide to have an outside force ala foreign power take over Tootsuki and Azami acts as a power in that though that's honestly stupid. The only think I'm really looking forward to is seeing how Tsukuda and Saeki spin the consequences of this arc.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top