Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Nisekoi had a lot of character interactions, not the interaction you see in ecchi manga obviously, but it had beautiful interactions. Do you think that people don't it seriously, well, I do and I read it with that in mind, seeing if all that makes sense. I think that's why I enjoy romance mangas more than you guys? XD
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Harem, ecchi, ******, fanservice, etc are not the same thing, remember that. You can read an ecchi manga without taking romance seriously, I can't do that, but there are people who can do that. I treat the characters as people and not as object, principally girls and seeing them in positions like that gives me nausea.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Yuuna-san advantage this year is getting anime.

Since there are not news at all about Hinomaru and Yuuna-san anime adaptations, I'm guessing both of them will be airing in autumn.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Yuuna anime is dropping in the summer.

And Leoat I know that bro. I never said not to take romances seriously but harems is the last place you really should look for it, that’s how you end up in harem hell.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I'll never understand why people dislikes romcoms doing silly romcom chapters. Nisekoi plot was plain awful every single time it took itself even mildly serious, the 'filler' chapters were the best part of the series by a good bit.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think theres a huge difference between nisekoi and ecchi stuff based on the pages people post.

Ichijo was hot and cute and perfect boyfriend material and all the girls had good arcs and development and everything was grounded and interesting, plus you could easily cheer everyone even shu and haru and even paula mccoy (best femchar) on to win the Rakubowl.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Nisekoi must've done something good, because 230chs of that and it still didn't get as old as WNL already is, and Yuuna seems to be approaching that point too. I think it partly comes down to how ridiculous and exaggerated the characters were which allowed for more interesting fillers, and that applies to Yuuna to an extent as well. While somewhat better written, every chapter of WNL just feels the same with no quirks and so little romantic progress there may as well be none. Not as feel good either, with too few characters too. I hate how everyone that isn't a romantic interest is basically ignored, it stops it from feeling like an actual universe you can get invested in.
 

costicla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
691
Reaction score
606
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Romania
I think theres a huge difference between nisekoi and ecchi stuff based on the pages people post.

Ichijo was hot and cute and perfect boyfriend material and all the girls had good arcs and development and everything was grounded and interesting, plus you could easily cheer everyone even shu and haru and even paula mccoy (best femchar) on to win the Rakubowl.
Neah, Raku was a turd, and as the manga went on, he become even more of a turd. The only time when he was actually any kind of boyfriend material is when he lost his memories (real grounded right there). Anywho, about the most recent series in the magazine, well, I`l be honest, as much as I wanted a new action or adventure series to succeed, BOOZEBEATS ain`t really doing it for me so far. The art is nice, but that`s about it. I actually hope that Act-Age survives, at leats that seems to try doing something a bit different.
 

Mawara

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 22, 2015
Messages
210
Reaction score
234
Gender
Female
Country
Germany
I never see what people see in ecchi titles :(
Let me help you with this one-
First imagine one rather normal, maybe even hot boy-
THAT's our maincharacter. Then a dozen girls around him, small, tall, buff, cute, smart, big-breasted and maybe even one or two cousins of him, bc we need to fulfill all the kinks(without judging, of course). Imagine such a manga with funny hijinks, where for example, one of the girls land with their face in the crotch of the MC. Maybe she's also naked, bc why not.
And now the MOST important bit: Change the gender of all these girls into boys, BUT NOT the gender of the maincharacter. He stays a boy.
Oh, and, of course, all of them are gay.

Boom, done. Now you should understand the appeal of ecchi. Just imagine it with cute boys instead.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Raku was someone you wanted to inflict on the worst girl, not someone you cheer for. Especially after what he pulled in the Marika arc towards the end. It's no surprise that it's good rankings almost completely died once the silly gag stuff stopped and it went into serious mode.

That's why WNL has been so great of a series so far, there's no stupid serious plot getting in the way of the fun romcom shenanigans, it's entirely about silly stuff and cute girls and little romantic teases. Heck it doesn't even have the obligatory annoying pervert friend nobody likes who appears way to much and eventually gets written out of the series, it's pretty much removed everything bad about the shounen harem genre.
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Let me help you with this one-
First imagine one rather normal, maybe even hot boy-
THAT's our maincharacter. Then a dozen girls around him, small, tall, buff, cute, smart, big-breasted and maybe even one or two cousins of him, bc we need to fulfill all the kinks(without judging, of course). Imagine such a manga with funny hijinks, where for example, one of the girls land with their face in the crotch of the MC. Maybe she's also naked, bc why not.
And now the MOST important bit: Change the gender of all these girls into boys, BUT NOT the gender of the maincharacter. He stays a boy.
Oh, and, of course, all of them are gay.

Boom, done. Now you should understand the appeal of ecchi. Just imagine it with cute boys instead.
Wow I wish this was a thing that existed in jump itd be so amazing, such an untapped market and imagining all the blushing boys afraid to say their feelings to him and also being supportive of his decision and some of those pervy scenes would be so good, need so much now.

Raku was someone you wanted to inflict on the worst girl, not someone you cheer for.
Ichijou was like my initial reason for even following it, he had everything I loved in a lead and not to mention the writer made him look pretty amazing in every panel, whereas WNL the lead guy is so bland (he's also pretty bottom tier on megane rankings as well, their supposed to improve people not make them even more bland). His male classmates are way more interesting than he is.

I think nisekoi hate these days is because people are still bitter the writer made the gorilla win, awful.
 

Bluenotebook

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2015
Messages
63
Reaction score
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I think nisekoi hate these days is because people are still bitter the writer made the gorilla win, awful.
I like how you say these days as if Nisekoi hadn't gotten crapped on for 75% of it's entire run time.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Nisekoi is trash, but it's ending is the pinnacle of that trash. No, not because of the "winning" girl (if you can call ending up with the MC a win), but because nothing in it was about love, what a relationship is supposed to be about or even making any sense.
The MC and the girl end up together in their last year of high school, don't see each other for months and years, didn't see each other in over 6 months, and finally see each other 1 day before their wedding. Best of it all, they didn't even kiss each other in all that time.
What is the lesson supposed to be here? A relationship means to never see each other? That symbols of love and affection like kissing aren't good?
And what happens after the wedding? As far as i remember the MC started his job as city worker in his home town while at the same time taking over the Yakuza of his father, while the girl became some famous fashion designer traveling the world. They barely saw each other before the wedding, how were they supposed to see each other after it if one of them has to stay in that small japanese town while the other one has to travel through the world? And how the hell do you plan a wedding without seeing your future spouse in over 6 months? Is Skype wedding planning a thing?
Just thinking about that last chapter makes me angry.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
People let the shipping bullshit distract them from the degrading quality of the cast of characters, with the last 30 or so chapters cementing the girls being thrown away one by one. I understand why the filler chapters were liked over plot, I enjoyed the Tsugumi ones bigly. But you can't live off that stuff. It got the point where you just expected a misunderstanding to occur in a chapter and not only for one chapter but for 20 chapters in a row. We live for characters but no story progression for what seem to be at least a year and half made it feel like you were on slow downward spiral that was never-ending. I think WNL is doing everything Nisekoi did wrong right. That's why I don't trip off the unexciting cast of characters, it's about studying so it's hardly meant to be exciting.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I still think the Marika arc was worse than the ending, it really showed off how completely awful and unlikable Raku was as a character. Sure arranged marriages aren't nice but when you crash the ceremony to object you're supposed to confess your feelings, not state how you have zero romantic interest in the bride and never will (but even though Raku will never date her she still can't have anyone else because he said so).

The faceless doujin husband guy showed her more appreciation and was a nicer guy than Raku had ever been.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
That's why WNL has been so great of a series so far, there's no stupid serious plot getting in the way of the fun romcom shenanigans, it's entirely about silly stuff and cute girls and little romantic teases. Heck it doesn't even have the obligatory annoying pervert friend nobody likes who appears way to much and eventually gets written out of the series, it's pretty much removed everything bad about the shounen harem genre.
The best part of your post was the SO FAR in the first sentence. You cannot compare a series that has about 50 chapters with one with more than 200. Nisekoi was better than WNL in terms of story in their first 50 chapter BY FAR. I really like "We Never Learn", but he really needs to do better. There will be serious parts as well, I bet with you 1 million dollars. When things start to get tight on the study area of the plot, it will become serious, there will be drama and all that. Are you talking about Shu? Shu and Ruri are the most praised characters in the series and he is a deep character, you really need to read the manga again, if you read it at any point, which doesn't look like you read it.
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I am considering it compared to the early parts of other harems, Nisekoi by comparison was mostly serious plot stuff up until about ch 30. WNL has never taken itself too seriously, sure it's had a couple moments but they mostly follow into some silliness or teasing. Shu was also just the weird friend in that time, he didn't become a proper character with good development until later on.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Shu only had development during the part where he confessed to the teacher, or was with Ruri. Every other time he was annoying.
 

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
Guess I’m the only one that liked the last 30 or so chs of Nisekoi when all the girls started getting thrown out? I mean, sure Raku was a massive dick and shit MC, but what did people expect would happen? They were gonna get thrown out eventually, and I enjoyed seeing stuff actually happen. Though I admit the last few chs sorting out the final 2 girls sucked ass because they were the least interesting of the bunch and there was no reasoning to it.

The lack of any real plot so far in WNL is one thing I really hate about it, but I personally find it hard to enjoy anything without any story progression, and I understand I’m in the minority in that regard. Its probably also why I actually enjoyed Nisekoi’s wrap-up.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
People knew it would happen but the problem was things were so aimless beforehand that when it happen it was poorly developed. Nisekoi's cast was deff one the most polarizing and eccentric I've seen but in retrospect would you do it all again?
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why are you ranting about Nisekoi again when it is already enjoying its afterlife besides Manga gods? XD
Wasn't the conversation about ecchi manga, one thing that Nisekoi isn't?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top