Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
People knew it would happen but the problem was things were so aimless beforehand that when it happen it was poorly developed. Nisekoi's cast was deff one the most polarizing and eccentric I've seen but in retrospect would you do it all again?
I guess I'm the real weird one here. I liked everything about Nisekoi except that stupid leaf at the very end. Chitoge was my favorite, but I enjoyed all of the girls' antics. I'm also really loving We Never Learn and Yuuna, even if there hasn't been a lot of plot progression towards the main storyline.

I just really like slice-of-life stuff. For example, the slice-of-life chapters have been the best parts of Samon so far. The battles were pretty good, but they just can't top the humor of the episodic chapters.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I guess I'm the real weird one here. I liked everything about Nisekoi except that stupid leaf at the very end. Chitoge was my favorite, but I enjoyed all of the girls' antics. I'm also really loving We Never Learn and Yuuna, even if there hasn't been a lot of plot progression towards the main storyline.

I just really like slice-of-life stuff. For example, the slice-of-life chapters have been the best parts of Samon so far. The battles were pretty good, but they just can't top the humor of the episodic chapters.
You are not the weirdest one, I am. I defended Nisekoi from hating during its entire serialization and I'm still doing it although it already ended more than a year ago. People supposedly don't like Nisekoi, but talk about it every time they have the opportunity. XD
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I liked Nisekoi when it was doing episodic SoL stuff but I've always found the serious plot stuff really dumb and bad.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
6 chapters in

Nothing fresh or new or exciting about Bozebeat.

Same thing about Ace Age in 5 chapters.

How's the JPN reception?
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,300
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
We just need to wait and see. You can't really tell too much based on online presence since we have had series before with lots of discussion and fan-art online early on that flopped right away.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It looks like the series will not appear on ESJ so I think I will have to wait for Act-Age first volume to resume reading.
 

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm actually really interested in reading Act-Age, based on what I've seen of the raws, ch.4 being the most intriguing to me thus far. Chapter 5 has me a bit curious, too. Even if the series doesn't survive(crossing my fingers it does) I'd still love to read it. I actually enjoyed the first 3 chapters, so I'm hoping someone picks it up at some point.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
Wasn't the first chapter of Act-Age the plot of every "I went to Los Angeles to become an actor, but instead I became a porn actress" story? Young girl has money problems, shady man in his mid-twenties promises her an acting carreer, takes her to the "casting" in his old van and the story goes on from there.
Only thing missing was this world famous couch:

 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Wasn't the first chapter of Act-Age the plot of every "I went to Los Angeles to become an actor, but instead I became a porn actress" story? Young girl has money problems, shady man in his mid-twenties promises her an acting carreer, takes her to the "casting" in his old van and the story goes on from there.
Only thing missing was this world famous couch:

*Now publishing in Weekly Shonen Hump
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wasn't the first chapter of Act-Age the plot of every "I went to Los Angeles to become an actor, but instead I became a porn actress" story? Young girl has money problems, shady man in his mid-twenties promises her an acting carreer, takes her to the "casting" in his old van and the story goes on from there.
Only thing missing was this world famous couch:

Japan has the pool, not the couch. Koisuru Edison already got away with showing the pool in WSJ, too.



 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I don't know what you guys are suggesting with these posts, but it sounds disgusting.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Wasn't the first chapter of Act-Age the plot of every "I went to Los Angeles to become an actor, but instead I became a porn actress" story? Young girl has money problems, shady man in his mid-twenties promises her an acting carreer, takes her to the "casting" in his old van and the story goes on from there.
Only thing missing was this world famous couch:

Japan has the pool, not the couch. Koisuru Edison already got away with showing the pool in WSJ, too.



I look up to you guys :emocat:emocat:emocat

Jk this is hilarious actually.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Come on guys dont take things out of proportion there is no subtext within Act-Age

The director guy just kidnapped a highschool student in the middle of daylight, tooks her in his van to make her work for him, he did what any decent citizen would of done, nothing wrong here :derp
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Raku was someone you wanted to inflict on the worst girl, not someone you cheer for. Especially after what he pulled in the Marika arc towards the end. It's no surprise that it's good rankings almost completely died once the silly gag stuff stopped and it went into serious mode.

That's why WNL has been so great of a series so far, there's no stupid serious plot getting in the way of the fun romcom shenanigans, it's entirely about silly stuff and cute girls and little romantic teases. Heck it doesn't even have the obligatory annoying pervert friend nobody likes who appears way to much and eventually gets written out of the series, it's pretty much removed everything bad about the shounen harem genre.
I feel almost the same since I liked Nisekoi because of it's characters interactions. My problem in that time was the promise when it wasn't needed at all. I just wanted some episodic stories like a romcom needs to do and that's probably the motive for why I like WNL so much. There's a background with the studies but the series is a episodic thing with character interactions and funny moments, with some development here and there. Also, the characters for me are much more charismatic than in Nisekoi (I only really liked Chitoge and Tsugumi tbh until I dropped and got back) with the protagonist being one of the best romcom protagonist for me. Anyway, I couldn't care that much if any of them will be the final girl because they're all great even if my favorite one is Fumino. haha

And I began Yuna yesterday and while it feels much more like a To Love Ru, I feel that this series is really fun and nice to read. I'm in chapter 20 so far and it feels like WNL feels to me but of course, also different since there's much more fanservice in comparison.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Some people say that they liked Nisekoi because of the episodic chapters and there are other who complain about such episodic chapters saying that such chapters didn't have any development at all... Since I'm the weird one, I like both, episodic and arcs and I think all of them had developments. The series was all about interactions and in every chapter there were interactions and development between the characters.

"We Never Learn" girls are adorable, yes, way too adorable if you ask me. There is not polemic, they are too normal, he can choose whoever he wants because whatever. They are insipid, they are a better version of Onodera, but it doesn't make them good enough at all. XD
Every chapter I change who I'm rooting for because they are all the same to me. I read because they are cute, but the romance is nonexistent right now and there is no way to choose sides.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I like Act Age’s art alot looking at those panels. Hope it survives.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Anyone want to take one for the team and explain the final chapter of Saiki?
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
I don't understand whats going on in the chapter, nor am I even close to being caught up to where the English scans are. All I know, is that this page is wrong. I refuse this timeline.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top