Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Togashi: “The fighting manga I envisioned was “Yu Yu Hakusho” but after a while, it wasn’t too much about fighting but more of a heartfelt story. My editor was quite worried since it was my first battling manga. So I told my editor that the first 30 chapters would be about a “good storyline” and then after that, it would be more focused on battling. I told my editor everything including that, so I got the permission.”

Contrary to that old notion that YYH only became battle because of the low popularity.

Togashi: “[Jump]’s an irreplaceable place to me. And if I want to act cool, then I would express it as the best “playground” to me. Once you’re not able to receive votes in the questionnaire, then it’s immediately over for you. This system is like a game to me. So if you’re able to get enough votes, then you stay alive in this world. I like this simplistic style. So for me, Jump is the place where this sensation and admiration I have, are perfectly matched."

Contrary to that old notion that HxH is not voted and... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, C'MON! STOP LYING, TOGASHI! IT'S OBVIOUS THAT YOU DO WHAT YOU WANT IN THE MAGAZINE!
 

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 19, 2012
Messages
2,616
Reaction score
2,843
Gender
Male
Country
United States
No one is saying HxH doesn't get votes, they just convince themselves that votes == ToC placement so obviously their favorite series must be an exception.
 

Rising Phoenix

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Feb 10, 2014
Messages
9
Reaction score
2
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm really hoping Noah's Notes survives. It's premise is pretty interesting and I liked the mc. The girl is a bit annoying and I don't really feel that the gyaru aspect adds anything to the story, but that can be changed with character development. For a first chapter though, I'd say it was the most interesting one we've had in a while.
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
No one is saying HxH doesn't get votes, they just convince themselves that votes == ToC placement so obviously their favorite series must be an exception.
What I meant is that many believe that HxH is a neutral series in the ToC. The series is not so dependent of that system as Togashi makes it seem.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Noah's Notes sure got me hooked, really hope it survives along with Act-Age. With Gintama ending this year, we will be off of older MCs, the professor is already a better Noah than certain other MC :derp

I low-key wish 2018 becomes the new 2012 with having at least one series per serialization round survive
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Aaaaand, we're back to the JAV scenarios.
 

ShenGao

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Feb 13, 2015
Messages
4,503
Reaction score
6,604
Country
Germany
So there were 2 Hitlers, 2 bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, 2 Neil Armstrongs on the moon, 2 Chernobyl disasters of 1986, 2 Indian Ocean earthquakes and tsunamis of 2004, 2 Fukushima disasters of 2011, and in general everything that happened in our world happened two times in Noah's Notes.
Interesting basis for a story. I just hope there won't be some kind of love between Mirai and Noah. Their first interaction was Noah holding a gun to her head and kidnapping her. Stockholm syndrome love shouldn't be something the young readers of this magazine should strife for in a relationship.
 

Reigen

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Feb 18, 2017
Messages
186
Reaction score
290
Age
29
Country
Morocco
You guys been watching a lot of porn lately, lol.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Stockholm syndrome love shouldn't be something the young readers of this magazine should strife for in a relationship.
The whole "gun to the head" and choking thing was really overdone in my opinion. It wasn't really funny either.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
The whole "gun to the head" and choking thing was really overdone in my opinion. It wasn't really funny either.
I thought it was fun, but of course it's ok for others to be more sensitive about it. :3c

Some people take things too seriously. :3c
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I'm not really sensitive to it, just think it's unnecessary.
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
The whole "gun to the head" and choking thing was really overdone in my opinion. It wasn't really funny either.
Yeah, felt the same. At the beginning I just thought that was "eh...", but then when he put the gun in her mouth, it was simply unpleasant. Now, that would normally be fine, if all of this wouldn't scream romance/comedy/wackiness. Wrong genre/tone, imo.

Then again, if this thing ever gets an anime and there really is a romance developed between these two, people might stop talking about hating the romance in Ancient Magus Bride and focus on this instead :derp
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I'm not really sensitive to it, just think it's unnecessary.
I think it is necessary, the mangaka's doing all he can to captivate the attention of the readers and he did things in the most exaggerated bombastic way possible and it was effective. It's really important to captivate people's attention with the first chapter in one way or another. By creating that entire scenario, we get to see just how crazy the mc is and how he gives no fucks when it comes to his goal. We also get to know the gyaru more and because of the whole ridiculous over the top scenario we get the opportunity to have our main characters interact together. Even she's slightly crazy if you think about it, if she was fine going along with the whole scenario up until we reach the ending point of the chapter. I think our main characters have a wacky dynamic relationship going on and I want to see them do more crazy shit together. The mangaka's obviously also going for a thinly veiled fanservice route and it will be interesting to see what other creative things happen :derp.

Overall, I'd describe this manga as the most over the top take on archaeology ever.

I personally ship the two main characters already and no one can stop me. :3c
 
Last edited:

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Why would Noah Notes go the romance route, isnt he pretty old.
 

DyanSon

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Feb 4, 2017
Messages
367
Reaction score
134
Age
29
Country
Philippines
I like the pilot chapter of NNs and compare it to the first chapter of Dr Stone i think this is better. Also I already like Professor Noah no homo
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
So I guess comparing Noah's Notes to Dr. Stone is going to be the new cool thing to do?
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
I Bet Noah's and Mirai's relationship will remain completely platonic, like it was said before, their dynamic is reminiscing to that of Neuro and Yako. No romance whatsover between them
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Ikezawa activated his trap cards and you guys all fell for it.

The gyaru, the gun, the professor.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Just read Noah's Note and it was great. The characters could be better, both are excessive in the way they behave, making them unlikeable, but the plot that human history is in loop and they have to solve mysteries to try to save humanity is very good, even more when you have a cliffhanger like that where you don't know if the girl there seated and writing is actually the one we see in the story or is a "copy" of her from yet another loop, this can go forever. :P
It is interesting, I like it... I don't see Noah getting better, but the girl has some development to make and I think she will be more likeable once she matures a bit. Looking forward to the next chapter.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top