Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I was laughing so hard at one of the recent chapters, it got so edgy with people getting shot and dying. But yeah, there's no substance even with an actual plot that moves. As bad as it is I'd still watch an anime, like Yuuna there will be much, much smoke censorship.
Its ironic that its the second best selling series in that group, doing more than double WNL and Stone.

Honestly, if they want Stone to get huge, or at least advertise it to much so that it becomes huge, they should wait 3 years and then put it before OP. That slot is a minimum 2 year slot and gets huge viewership. Stone is also compatible with OP and its educational. The only downside, at least to some people, is that Toei will be the studio. Another possibility is putting it in Heroaca's slot and that might be less of a wait but who knows.
Welcome to the world of Japanese live action!
That's more due to the type of show it is than being the norm for Japanese live action. There are hundreds of incredible, heartfelt, thought-provoking series though in recent years that number had decreased for quick money buddy cop series and medical series.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
Its ironic that its the second best selling series in that group, doing more than double WNL and Stone.

Honestly, if they want Stone to get huge, or at least advertise it to much so that it becomes huge, they should wait 3 years and then put it before OP. That slot is a minimum 2 year slot and gets huge viewership. Stone is also compatible with OP and its educational. The only downside, at least to some people, is that Toei will be the studio. Another possibility is putting it in Heroaca's slot and that might be less of a wait but who knows.
I feel like the latter is more likely at this point. The Toei slot is too precious. I don't think they can even afford to wait for 3 years, the manga might not last for longer than 4-5 years.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's more due to the type of show it is than being the norm for Japanese live action. There are hundreds of incredible, heartfelt, thought-provoking series though in recent years that number had decreased for quick money buddy cop series and medical series.
I was just joking but the majority of them are very much in the same style of Oh My Jump! but the few standouts are really good. The last live action TV drama I watched was Aoi Honō which was excellent. You can always tell how good a live action adaptation tends to be if people still bring it up now and again I mean that's why people lost their shit over those Rurouni Kenshin movies due to how good they were whereas people don't remember the live action adaptations of Tomorrow's Joe, Tiger Mask and Gatchaman because they so so mediorce and disposable and I think the live action Tokyo Ghoul will follow suit. But of course the inverse is also true with the legendary awful Devilman movie and the recent blunders of the Fullmetal Alchemist and Jojo films.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Its ironic that its the second best selling series in that group, doing more than double WNL and Stone.

Honestly, if they want Stone to get huge, or at least advertise it to much so that it becomes huge, they should wait 3 years and then put it before OP. That slot is a minimum 2 year slot and gets huge viewership. Stone is also compatible with OP and its educational. The only downside, at least to some people, is that Toei will be the studio. Another possibility is putting it in Heroaca's slot and that might be less of a wait but who knows.
That does sounds profitable but Stone might be done in 3 years, it started its Part 2 in less than 50 chapters. Regarding harem I deff give credit to the art style, it's really good. I've even checked out the artist's twitter. They should throw an ova for this series, Yuuna is getting one I believe which could boost that specific volume so seeing WEH sales with no help/smaller promo not sure what's stopping them. Also should mention Jump+ really has an interesting catalogue of series but barely any of them get scanned. Besides Harem I've liked what I've seen from Summertime Render and Ao no Flag. MHA Smash! too but that's over unfortunately.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That does sounds profitable but Stone might be done in 3 years, it started its Part 2 in less than 50 chapters. Regarding harem I deff give credit to the art style, it's really good. I've even checked out the artist's twitter. They should throw an ova for this series, Yuuna is getting one I believe which could boost that specific volume so seeing WEH sales with no help/smaller promo not sure what's stopping them. Also should mention Jump+ really has an interesting catalogue of series but barely any of them get scanned. Besides Harem I've liked what I've seen from Summertime Render and Ao no Flag. MHA Smash! too but that's over unfortunately.
Too much manga is made these days, no way for people to do them all.
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
I feel like the latter is more likely at this point. The Toei slot is too precious. I don't think they can even afford to wait for 3 years, the manga might not last for longer than 4-5 years.
I don't see it being too "precious". Its personally above average overall to me but the potential to draw in the younger audience is there. I've already read an article stating that Stone is popular among young readers. They can very likely put it on after Kitaro. Sure that's a possible 2 years but I honestly don't think the mangaka duo nor the editors want to end it within 5 years. It might be progressing quickly but there's actually quite a bit they can do. If they're in the stone wars right now, there will be a "bronze age" and so forth. The series is fortunate enough with its setting that they can do these kingdom battles, find out the reason for the petrification and create a new civilization. Whether Inagaki can do all that effectively is another matter but I do think they can wait. They did that for Sumou.

That does sounds profitable but Stone might be done in 3 years, it started its Part 2 in less than 50 chapters. Regarding harem I deff give credit to the art style, it's really good. I've even checked out the artist's twitter. They should throw an ova for this series, Yuuna is getting one I believe which could boost that specific volume so seeing WEH sales with no help/smaller promo not sure what's stopping them. Also should mention Jump+ really has an interesting catalogue of series but barely any of them get scanned. Besides Harem I've liked what I've seen from Summertime Render and Ao no Flag. MHA Smash! too but that's over unfortunately.
OVAs don't boost volume sales, even if its just that specific volume. That version will cost around the same as a BD or maybe half that but its still almost 10x the price of a tankoubon so that means only a small percentage of the readership that regularly buys Yuuna will buy it. I don't see new readers suddenly deciding to splurge.

Also I think timing and luck might have been the deciding factor for Harem's success. Black Torch also has great art, as do lots of series, but it doesn't sell. Other series have also done this kind of almost mindless story with full sex appeal but they also don't sell. It will also probably be hard for teenagers to buy this volume at bookstores so I'd say 17-up are buying the volumes. But it should be said that if they want to see sex, they can simply go to the adult section and buy something from there. There's something in Harem that makes approx 200k people that Oricon counts buy the volumes.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
What sex scenes? Its the softest of soft-core.
I mean, it's softcore but still has sex scenes happening in there, even if they don't show such organs lol
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Somewhat unrelated, I found this drawing session from Boichi at some convention in Italy from 2014.



He uses brushes to draw? That's fucking insane. He's probably one of the only mangaka out there that uses this style of drawing. This would explain his crazy output, but this requires an insane amount of talent to pull off regardless. This would also explain how he achieves his line work.
Vagabond's mangaka also uses brushes.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I still remember the imposing presence of Takehiko Inoue's piece of art on one of the walls at Kinokuniya NYC.
 
Last edited:

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Wishful thinking I'm guessing. What else could it be?
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Still too early. I want an anime announcement at the end of this year or next year.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Early?
I'd say it's late by now.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Early?
I'd say it's late by now.
The sales have some room to grow IMO. It had an incredible growth but getting an anime when you're only doing ~120k a month is early.

If it is an anime announcement then that means me and cody can have wall text posts discussing studios and if we want to be a dick then break it down to staff members. :cheez
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I was able to read the chapter 2 of Noah's Notes today. It continues to be pretty good for me and pretty interesting. I really want this to survive.

And I also read Ziga and damn, that's a pretty good first chapter. I really liked it too.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top