Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeTsuyu

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 1, 2015
Messages
159
Reaction score
203
Gender
Male
Country
United States
TPN
MHA
OP
Dr.S
Haikyuu!!
Boruto
Soma

These are all I'm keeping up with for the moment. Fell behind on KnY, HZ, and HxH. I'm reserving judgement for Noah's Notes and Act-Age until I'm able to read further--I did enjoy the first few chapters I read for them, though. Still not sure about Ziga yet. It wasn't nearly as bad as people were claiming it to be on this forum, but I wasn't blown away by it either. I want to wait a few chapters and really gauge how I feel about it. At the least, I can say I'm curious about it. I had no interest in Jujustsu from the start, so I didn't bother reading it, and Bozebeats did nothing for me in the first few chapters, so immediately dropped it. Gintama has too many chapters for me to want to get started on it. I may at some point in the future, but I don't really feel like it at the moment since I'm already reading so many other manga from Jump and other magazines. Everything else in the magazine I don't read.
 

N0R7H

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2011
Messages
112
Reaction score
44
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I'm totally fine. I just didn't know how to put it in other words since it's just that hard to phrase out from my perspective. I just accept that I'm different than many others with the way I think and I'm fine with it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It might be a little harder for me to understand how other people think or react to certain situations, but that's the only downside to this. On the other hand I just get stuff way faster than others, for example I never really had to learn when I went to school for the majority of subjects.

But I guess I'm going too far away from the actual topic. I was just trying to justify the way I think and that he might not understand what I wanted to say. Especially since I just do most stuff subconciously without thinking that much about it, so it's hard for me to phrase out how I analyze chapters. I just feel like what adds to this is that my manga taste is just really mainstream, at least when it comes to shounen manga.
This guy reached Perfect Ultra Instinct.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
My ranking:
Neverland
Hinomaru Zumou
Kimetsu no Yaiba
Ziga
RobotxLaserbeam
Dr.Stone
Noah Notes
Boku no Hero
Yuragi
Bozebeats
Soma


Someone breaking my arm
Someone breaking my head
Someone breaking my head while its eating a pizza
Someone killling my bird

Haikyuu
 

Drmke

MH Senpai
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
4,224
Reaction score
1,235
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Palestine
My ranking:
Someone breaking my arm
Someone breaking my head
Someone breaking my head while its eating a pizza
Someone killling my bird

Haikyuu
I'm asking you politely, yet firmly, to leave.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It has been a round of tough decision because I'm starting to take a liking to Jujutsu Kaisen as well after this third chapter. I liked the characters, the principal in the third chapter with his trial to the protagonist. I don't know, it feels nice... Noah's Notes was also decent this week although I had the feeling that it repeated too much of what was said in the first chapter. Ziga was the best of the week in the end and now I have three series I want to read more... What to do...
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'm starting to take a liking to Jujutsu Kaisen as well after this third chapter. I liked the characters, the principal in the third chapter with his trial to the protagonist
Have I mentioned that I love you! This is an awesome post.

I think its bound to be the next BLeach.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
Just saw viz has HxH 34 digital for only $7. Gonna grab that. Also I’ve read Noah Notes first two chapters and it’s ok. I think if it survives it’s cause the gyaru is baiting readers with ass shots every other panel. Just an observation, do what you gotta do to live.
 

Leoat12

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
May 30, 2012
Messages
13,583
Reaction score
3,219
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Have I mentioned that I love you! This is an awesome post.

I think its bound to be the next BLeach.
I want to say that the love is not mutual I'm afraid and that my opinion and your opinion doesn't align in any way. Thank you for your understanding.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I also liked the Jujutsu Kaisen chapter but its getting canned so theres no point.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I also liked the Jujutsu Kaisen chapter but its getting canned so theres no point.
What did you like about it? Just wanna hear your thoughts cause I honestly thought it had the worst first chapter since U19.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Still praying next round gives us a boys soccer, and a boys baseball manga.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm curious if Ziga will have other monsters, or if its gonna be just the "Godzilla", i hope there's a Moth monster.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What did you like about it? Just wanna hear your thoughts cause I honestly thought it had the worst first chapter since U19.
more characterization at least, it was needed. I like the art as well, but like I said I cant care too much because I know 100% its getting canned.
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I'll probably get backlash from this, but honestly, I like Jujutsu because I think it's "cool". Its hard to explain, but I think the best way to explain it would be using Bleach as an example.

While I was reading Bleach about two years ago, I was completely aware of its flaws. Asspulls, literal Jesus MC, things being left unexplained, etc. But what kept me reading was that "cool" factor. Character designs, art style, the premise, the shinigami powers. I thought all of them were cool, and that's really what drew me in. The character designs and art syle were just top tier. Some like Ulqiorra had the right amount of edge to not come across as overbearingly edgy, others like Grimjow and Kenpachi were just plain cool characters. Zoro is another great example of this type of character.

Of course, Jujutsu isn't on the same level of Bleach, but it does give me that "cool" vibe that not many other manga have. The "blind but strong" character archetype is one of my favorites, and as much as the main character being able to control the demon inside him is cliche, I still think it's cool. I won't really miss it if it gets axed, but I would definitely like to see it through to its end, however long that is.
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I'll probably get backlash from this, but honestly, I like Jujutsu because I think it's "cool". Its hard to explain, but I think the best way to explain it would be using Bleach as an example.

While I was reading Bleach about two years ago, I was completely aware its flaws. Asspulls, literal Jesus MC, things being left unexplained, etc. But what kept me reading was that "cool" factor. Character designs, art style, the premise, the shinigami powers. I thought all of them were cool, and that's really what drew me in. The character designs were just top tier. Some like Ulqiorra had the right amount of edge to not come across as overbearingly edgy, others like Grimjow and Kenpachi were just plain cool characters. Zoro is another great example of this type of character.

Of course, Jujutsu isn't on the same level of Bleach, but it does give me that "cool" vibe that not many other manga have. The "blind but strong" character archetype is one of my favorites, and as much as the main character being able to control the demon inside him is cliche, I still think it's cool. I won't really miss it if it gets axed, but I would definitely like to see it through to its end, however long that is.
I pretty much agree. Bleach stylistically was really cool. The anime adaptation (despite some of the filler) was really dope as well. The openings/endings were great, and its OST had that cool spanish strings going on.

I feel like if Jujutsu Kaisen combined the first 2 chaps somehow I would feel better about it.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
What did you like about it? Just wanna hear your thoughts cause I honestly thought it had the worst first chapter since U19.
I just think the art and the character designs are cool, so i enjoy reading it. I understand that it's not particularly well written or original, but that's enough for me to stick with it.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I wish Yuuna would rise back up to the middle zone again so I could feel more assured about its survival. If Act-Age can stay in at least the area of the TOC that it's in now for a few more issues, it'll probably be decently safe for the short-to-medium term future.

In terms of enjoyment:
We Never Learn = Yuuna
Noah's Notes
Dr. Stone
Act-Age
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I just realized something. This might be me being negative, but it might be possible that Yuuna could get axed during or shortly after its anime, especially if it doesn't increase the sales much. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but a couple of manga recently have been ending during or right after their anime. I think Girl's Last Tour, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Keijo, even Umaru. What's weirder about Umaru is that I think it's end was announced before the second season even aired. If the Yuuna anime ends up not boosting the sales much, then I can honestly see it ending soon after.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I just realized something. This might be me being negative, but it might be possible that Yuuna could get axed during or shortly after its anime, especially if it doesn't increase the sales much. I don't know if anyone else noticed, but a couple of manga recently have been ending during or right after their anime. I think Girl's Last Tour, Koi wa Ameagari no You ni, Keijo, even Umaru. What's weirder about Umaru is that I think it's end was announced before the second season even aired. If the Yuuna anime ends up not boosting the sales much, then I can honestly see it ending soon after.
Well Umaru had a sequel already lined up that released 3 weeks after the original "ended," so I probably wouldn't include that one. Instead, I'd replace it with Saiki, which ended but still has an ongoing anime. Either way, I'm pretty nervous for how this plays out with Yuuna. Hopefully it'll get a nice big boost
 

Unok

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2007
Messages
703
Reaction score
2,915
Gender
Male
Country
Bulgaria
I finally read all of the new series and have to say that Jujutsu is my fav. The rest is pretty meh. Bozebeats started pretty good too, but it god boring after couple of chapters, it was no longer "catchy". Haven't seen his last 2-3 chapters, but from the few images I saw, it seems it gets a bit more interesting. But looking at the toc it doesn't look like it will survive.

If I have to rank the new series for me it was:
- Jujutsu (the only thing I hope to survive for a while at least)
- Bozebeats (strong start, but got boring quick, would rate Golem Hearts higher than it, but with the last chapters it may save itself, have to catch up to see)
- Ziga (this kinda have potential and have seen only 1 ch, so can't fully judge it, but still didn't get hooked on the 1st chapter)
- Noah Notes / Act-age (can't say which one was worse, pretty meh & boring stuff, although act-age felt more boring and noah notes more stupid and had my eyes roll out quite a bit... I'm for sure done with those two)

Overall last 2 years had quite bad new series. The last new series that were cancelled and I really enjoyed was like in 2014/15. I really miss Kagamigami and Mitsukubi Condor, along with Illegal Rare and Yoakemono. Even more when I see how much crap they put in their place...
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top