Turn me on to phantoms

Stoicism


  • Total voters
    23

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
But look at all the dominant Ds now...all speed.
If its ARI,Den,Jacksonville,etc,etc....got to start contering that.
Not saying its important now but sure seems alot of teams are going this route...mine included.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
But look at all the dominant Ds now...all speed.
If its ARI,Den,Jacksonville,etc,etc....got to start contering that.
Not saying its important now but sure seems alot of teams are going this route...mine included.
Speed is a luxury at many positions yeah, but I'm not sure if they're smaller really... they're just all roided-up trackstars or something
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
His brother plays in the league...i watched these guys grow up.
Who ever gets him...i bet he starts this yr xD
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
You were that annoyed with the deviations?
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
You were that annoyed with the deviations?
Not in general no. They existed in the show since the beginning, but a ripple effect happens as the story expands. Changes needed to be made, they just made really lackluster decisions in regards to that as time went on. Things that aren't inline with who the characters are, or how the world GRRM created works, etc. They were unforced errors.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Just say it Gee...shit was stupid and corny at times.
Especially all the north shit.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Not in general no. They existed in the show since the beginning, but a ripple effect happens as the story expands. Changes needed to be made, they just made really lackluster decisions in regards to that as time went on. Things that aren't inline with who the characters are, or how the world GRRM created works, etc. They were unforced errors.
Ah, I see. Until GoT Wiki, I never knew that Aegon could be two different people, neither Jon Snow.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Ah, I see. Until GoT Wiki, I never knew that Aegon could be two different people, neither Jon Snow.
Aegon isn't his canon name, that's a show-invention. I thought it'd be more poetic if his name was Aemon, since he served with Maester Aemon at the Wall.

And there's been waaaay more than 2 notable Aegons in Westeros' history (5 Targaryen kings)
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Aegon isn't his canon name, that's a show-invention. I thought it'd be more poetic if his name was Aemon, since he served with Maester Aemon at the Wall.

And there's been waaaay more than 2 notable Aegons in Westeros' history (5 Targaryen kings)
Someone I know who is a fan says the books say Varys saved the real Aegon and replaced him with a fake, whereas Aegon II (Jon Snow in the show's Aegon) is with Ilyrio?

I remember a third (or technically first) Aegon, but don't remember if he became king. It's annoying just how much the show deviated from the books. Jon also seems to be a bit of an incompetent leader, based on how he didn't ask Sansa for her input and ruined the plan he and his advisors made up. Sansa would be a great advisor as well, and I wish Jon listened to her more.

Daenerys and Jon teaming up is so hype though. Shame the Jaime now isn't the same swordsman that he was with his real right hand.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Someone I know who is a fan says the books say Varys saved the real Aegon and replaced him with a fake, whereas Aegon II (Jon Snow in the show's Aegon) is with Ilyrio?

I remember a third (or technically first) Aegon, but don't remember if he became king. It's annoying just how much the show deviated from the books. Jon also seems to be a bit of an incompetent leader, based on how he didn't ask Sansa for her input and ruined the plan he and his advisors made up. Sansa would be a great advisor as well, and I wish Jon listened to her more.

Daenerys and Jon teaming up is so hype though. Shame the Jaime now isn't the same swordsman that he was with his real right hand.
Varys supposedly saved Aegon by replacing the baby with a peasant's infant or something. At least, that's the story given when you realize that Young Griff is a Targaryen. But whether he's actually Aegon, son of Rhaegar or not isn't clear. It's just as much likely that he's a Blackfyre (a famous line of Targaryen bastards that have staged multiple rebellions).

Aegon II is long dead, he was the sixth Targaryen king of Westeros. If Jon's name is actually Aegon and he sits the Iron Throne, he'd be Aegon VI.

Show Sansa is a moron... well, at best the entire tension between the Stark children is really poorly written. Sansa became a moron the moment she returned to Winterfell (which isn't canon, so not surprising that she instantly became stupid... original show writing btw).

Why is it hype for you? The point of Jaime losing his arm is that he can't redeem himself through physical things... Jaime before he was never thinking before action, now he can't be that way.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
How do you realize that? I am an "Unsullied."

The Aegon born to Rhaegar and Lyanna, I mean.

How was she a moron, other than keeping Baelish close to her despite saying she doesn't trust him?

Because I love both characters and seeing them together leading and shit would be awesome. And I know, but I'd still have loved to see Jaime at full health fighting the undead, especially since Jon's group was able to take on so many wrights.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
How do you realize that? I am an "Unsullied."

The Aegon born to Rhaegar and Lyanna, I mean.

How was she a moron, other than keeping Baelish close to her despite saying she doesn't trust him?

Because I love both characters and seeing them together leading and shit would be awesome. And I know, but I'd still have loved to see Jaime at full health fighting the undead, especially since Jon's group was able to take on so many wrights.
It's a pretty common theory among fans. In Season 2 when Dany meets Quaithe in Qarth, she warns her about the "Mummer's Dragon". Varys was a member of a mummer's troupe in his youth, and he's responsible for "saving" baby Aegon and having Illyrio raise him. So you could look at this as saying Aegon is Varys' Dragon, or maybe a Fake Dragon (like the saying "a mummer's farce". Illyrio also had a wife that resembled a Targaryen, Serra. She was a prostitute in Lys, and given the Blackfyre's history in the Free Cities, she could have been a descendant. It's specified that only the male line of the Blackfyres died out when Maelys the Monstrous was killed in The War of the Ninepenny Kings. But not that the entire family was eradicated. So Aegon most likely isn't a real Targaryen, but he could be a Blackfyre trying to pass off as one... or, he could be Illyrio's son trying to pass off as a Targaryen as well. And this sort of knowledge tries to prove a point that it doesn't actually matter whether Young Gryff is Aegon or not, the only thing that matters is that people think he is and support him on that basis. Which I guess is what the showrunners are trying to convey with Jon's storyline in the show? It doesn't matter if he's actually Ned Stark's son or not, etc.... or at least it's a happy coincidence there.

I don't think she is a moron, I'm saying the writing made it appear as if she was. She learned from Cersei, Tyrion, and Littlefinger how to scheme. This was after a realization that she became an adult before she ever left the Eyrie. The decision to marry her to Ramsey by Littlefinger never happens in the books, so they sort of regressed her character development for some cheap shock value and tension. When that was resolved they created more of it between Arya and her, Jon and her. It just rang false to me. All three of them acted like morons at different times. It took Arya not killing Sansa for them to remember their father's words? "The lone wolf dies, by the pack survives". Arya knew Sansa was a Lannister hostage, why would she take the letter she wrote about Ned's treason at face value? They all became morons at the plot's convenience to build tension IMO.

I can understand loving Jon because he's the "hero", but I don't really get why people like Dany so much. The show definitely positions her as the main heroine for marketing purposes, but I think the showrunners completely missed the point of her character in the story. It's to show that even "good" people fall victim to their own power. That who your parents are has nothing to do with whether you're a good ruler or not. Because she's a terrible one. But of course, CGI dragons and explosions get people hyped up... so...lol. Neither character is without flaws, and that's what makes them interesting. But I would say in the books Dany is kind of a hard one to really root for after a certain point. At least, not in the same way Jon is. She certainly doesn't come across as the same sort of righteous liberator in the books at least. And I think the show missed a huge opportunity to portray this properly. We have Cersei who we start off hating and then come to understand more, and we have Dany who we start off liking and then maybe come to understand/sympathize with less. It's okay for the young, beautiful woman to be a disaster sometimes, you know? She was raised as pauper royalty, with her idiot brother always talking about how great they were, how their home was stolen from them. Maybe Dany isn't fit to rule at all and that's okay. Maybe that isn't who she is?

I like Jaime good and crippled. They prolonged the hell out of his character development. It was heading in a great direction right up through the bath scene and then for some reason they sent him back to King's Landing way too early and then for some reason had him going off to the dumpster-fire that was the Dorne storyline instead of keeping him in the Riverlands like they should have. But at least he's done with Cersei for good now. He's easily among my favorite characters in the novels and one of the more faithfully portrayed characters in the show, even though they fucked up his storyline quite a bit.
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
SEA picked Shak Griffith....the kid i told you about.
Crazy...they picked his twin last yr.
Im so happy for him xD
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
SEA picked Shak Griffith....the kid i told you about.
Crazy...they picked his twin last yr.
Im so happy for him xD
Why you rooting for UCF, what about the Bulls?
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Im not rooting for UCF....just the player.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,293
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
can understand loving Jon because he's the "hero", but I don't really get why people like Dany so much. The show definitely positions her as the main heroine for marketing purposes, but I think the showrunners completely missed the point of her character in the story. It's to show that even "good" people fall victim to their own power. That who your parents are has nothing to do with whether you're a good ruler or not. Because she's a terrible one. But of course, CGI dragons and explosions get people hyped up... so...lol. Neither character is without flaws, and that's what makes them interesting. But I would say in the books Dany is kind of a hard one to really root for after a certain point. At least, not in the same way Jon is. She certainly doesn't come across as the same sort of righteous liberator in the books at least. And I think the show missed a huge opportunity to portray this properly. We have Cersei who we start off hating and then come to understand more, and we have Dany who we start off liking and then maybe come to understand/sympathize with less. It's okay for the young, beautiful woman to be a disaster sometimes, you know? She was raised as pauper royalty, with her idiot brother always talking about how great they were, how their home was stolen from them. Maybe Dany isn't fit to rule at all and that's okay. Maybe that isn't who she is?

I like Jaime good and crippled. They prolonged the hell out of his character development. It was heading in a great direction right up through the bath scene and then for some reason they sent him back to King's Landing way too early and then for some reason had him going off to the dumpster-fire that was the Dorne storyline instead of keeping him in the Riverlands like they should have. But at least he's done with Cersei for good now. He's easily among my favorite characters in the novels and one of the more faithfully portrayed characters in the show, even though they fucked up his storyline quite a bit.
Dany in the show is seen as a great feminist figure, I guess? Despite her shitty past, being raped, defiled, and all that, she still fought and became a ruler. She also believes in women being able to rule, probably the only one or one of the few to challenge the notion that only guys should rule.

But yeah, she's not that good either. She did burn the two Tarlys alive when she could have at most, burn one.

The books seem to focus more on complexities than the show. I read that the show creators/directors changed some things around to avoid confusing or misleading viewers, like having Roose say "The Lannisters send their regards" instead of "Jaime Lannister..." like in the books.

Wait, book Cersei? I understand the TV Cersei more, but I hate her even more for what she's done. She's far too arrogant and thinks herself smarter than she actually is.

Dany honestly would be a good ruler as long as she listens to Tyrion. Might be a low standard, but at least she didn't storm King's Landing and burn everyone there, like how Tywin sacked the city.

I'm just interested in seeing how Jaime would fare as one of the best swordsmen. I also want to see Arya and Brienne take those monsters on just to see how they'd do, especially Arya. I'm glad Jaime is done with Cersei for good. Wonder why the show did have Cersei cheat on him, and him find out the hard way, though.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,183
Reaction score
30,233
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
Dany in the show is seen as a great feminist figure, I guess? Despite her shitty past, being raped, defiled, and all that, she still fought and became a ruler. She also believes in women being able to rule, probably the only one or one of the few to challenge the notion that only guys should rule.

But yeah, she's not that good either. She did burn the two Tarlys alive when she could have at most, burn one.

The books seem to focus more on complexities than the show. I read that the show creators/directors changed some things around to avoid confusing or misleading viewers, like having Roose say "The Lannisters send their regards" instead of "Jaime Lannister..." like in the books.

Wait, book Cersei? I understand the TV Cersei more, but I hate her even more for what she's done. She's far too arrogant and thinks herself smarter than she actually is.

Dany honestly would be a good ruler as long as she listens to Tyrion. Might be a low standard, but at least she didn't storm King's Landing and burn everyone there, like how Tywin sacked the city.

I'm just interested in seeing how Jaime would fare as one of the best swordsmen. I also want to see Arya and Brienne take those monsters on just to see how they'd do, especially Arya. I'm glad Jaime is done with Cersei for good. Wonder why the show did have Cersei cheat on him, and him find out the hard way, though.
Uhh... I guess she could be an example of that in some sense, but I really wouldn't consider her a "great" anything. :lmao I mean, the showrunners might want to spin it like that as a way to explain her popularity, but I don't really think much about her is really handled in any nuanced way. At least, not compared to who she is in the books. They prefer fireballs/dragons for her, not the more complex things. And when they tread into socio-political issues it usually falls flat for me. Yeah, great, she's the "Breaker of Chains" so she's anti-slavery. Big deal, all of Westeros is, plus it was advantageous for her to be so since it helped her conquer Slaver's Bay. The Lannisters wouldn't have been pro-slavery either most likely. In reality, the only thing that makes her an exceptional ruler is that she has WMDs in the form of Dragons. She's no more exceptional than anyone else in any other way IMO. And does that really make her a "ruler"? Or just an effective conqueror? Plus, just like the Lannisters she represents most of what is wrong with imperialism, birthrite.

Yeah, the "Jaime Lannister" to "The Lannister" change is one of those examples of them removing the "depth" of the story from the show. It's a minor example though and not the worst thing they ever did. Keeping the line to mention Jaime was just another way of showing Roose's cruelty.

Show Cersei has her own issues, yeah. I think the actress and the writers have some sort of obsession with trying to present her as being a sympathetic figure, mostly through her role as a mother... but it doesn't really work. When Cersei becomes a POV character in the books, you begin to realize why she is who she is, and while I guess sympathy is too strong of a word, you do begin to pity her much more than you do in the show. That might have to do with where she's at in the last book.

We already know how Jaime would fare as one of the best swordsmen, because he was one of them. Personally, I think it's more interesting for him to have to relearn what being a man and a knight really is, without his best asset - his sword hand. Cersei cheated on him in the books too, and with more than just Lancel as well. :XD
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Whats the deal with Bloodraven and the Great Other....
Did he used to be it?

Night king has that raven sigil....is there some relevance between the two?
If so...idk why night king was trying to kill him so bad.
 
Top