- Joined
- May 7, 2018
- Messages
- 369
- Reaction score
- 298
- Age
- 31
- Country
-
Hi,
I'm pretty new here. Been a long time reader of one piece and I do have a bit of experience discussing it on the internet, but this is pretty much my first time on mangahelpers.
I thought I'd make my first thread here about the newest big development in the manga: Luffy being hailed as the Fifth Emperor of the sea.
At first, I felt excited about the news, as the chapter was pretty hype, and we all know Oda knows how to write a hype chapters when he wants to. But after a bit of time, my usual skepticism settled in. Now, I'm not really going to dispute the title, seeing as there is really no reason why he couldn't be called Emperor, as long as the news is calling him that, and we all can guess that next arc will probably feature the fall of another emperor, which will make it completely official. Instead I'm going to try to compare him to other Emperors and see how he stacks up now, just to get a feel of whether or not this was too early.
First of all, I will attempt to answer the question: What constitutes an Emperor of the Sea?
This is of course, a title that has been bestowed so far on four powerful pirates in the New World, over at least two generations. Unlike the Shichibukai, this 'appointement' does not seem to be something ruled on by the World Government. Instead, it seems to function more like a popular 'nickname' for the powerful pirates with the most followers out there. The ones who quite literally, as the name suggests, rule over empires. So having territory, and a big pirate army to defend it, is quite necessary.
Another thing that seems necessary to being an Emperor of the Sea is notoriety. Luffy for instance, has only been hailed as the fifth Emperor after he broke the Billion Beli mark. It does seem however, that most other emperors have subbordinates who are very notorious too, such as Katakuri, Jack, Smoothie, Cracker, Perospero & Snack. I'm sure Marco, Jozu & Vista all had a bounty higher than Ace's 550 million too. So far, it seems like 500 Million is the mark to surpass to be in the big leagues as far as enfluence goes.
So in conclusion, in addition to the obvious power level required for being an Emperor, one needs Territory, Armies, and notoriety.
Territory:
So far, Luffy's territory in the New World is limited officially to Fishman Island, and Green Bit. Though one could argue that Dressrosa and Prodence (Elizabello's country) are also part of it, and maybe Orlumbus's country too, though his king didn't seem pleased by his joining Luffy at all in that one panel we got to see of him. Zou is loyal to a Samurai clan that Luffy hasn't fully put under him yet, so I would hold off on that one until Kaido is taken down. This seems like a pretty thin haul so far. After all, most independant supernova have hide outs of their own as Territory and Luffy has barely surpassed them a tiny bit so far on this regard.
Army:
On this one, I think Luffy has done pretty well for himself so far. He has a fleet of 7 crews besides his own, and though the Sun Pirates haven't declared for him officially yet, they are bound to Fishman Island, which has, so he can count on them when it counts. It's kind of ironic really, but the Germa 66 were looking to get an alliance with a Yonko through Sanji, and they got one, just not with the same Yonko. And let us not forget Shirahoshi of course, she is an ancient weapon after all.
Comparing to other Supernova, Luffy seems to be quite ahead, especially seeing as Bege and Law seem to be destined to be dragged under him, but the actual Emperors are still a lot better equipped than he is on this front.
Notoriety:
This one, I think we can measure with a certain ammount of accuracy, given that it is measured by numbers (bounties), and even compare a bit to another Emperor crew.
We have eight known bounties in the Big Mom Pirates, ranging from Katakuri at 1,057,000,000 beli to Bobbin at 105,000,000 beli. The average of these bounties is: 626,625,000 beli.
The average of the top 8 known bounties amongst Luffy's crew and allied subordinates is: 426,850,000 beli.
There is a ratio of 1.47 between the two values, as in the Big Mom Pirates are about one and a half times more notorious than The Strawhat Pirates. Though one has to keep in mind that the bounty of Big Mom herself isn't known yet, so the value I calculated is a lower limit. Maybe we should assume something along the lines of The Big Mom Pirates being about twice as notrious as the Strawhat Pirates.
----------------------
In conclusion, Luffy has most definitely broken from the pack of the Supernova, but his Emperorship seems to be still in it's infancy from a harsh critic's perspective. I think 'Big News' Morgan chose to start calling him an Emperor a bit prematurely, which is not necessarily a bad move, seeing as the string of achievements Luffy has had so far pointes towards him doing better in the future.
I'm pretty new here. Been a long time reader of one piece and I do have a bit of experience discussing it on the internet, but this is pretty much my first time on mangahelpers.
I thought I'd make my first thread here about the newest big development in the manga: Luffy being hailed as the Fifth Emperor of the sea.
At first, I felt excited about the news, as the chapter was pretty hype, and we all know Oda knows how to write a hype chapters when he wants to. But after a bit of time, my usual skepticism settled in. Now, I'm not really going to dispute the title, seeing as there is really no reason why he couldn't be called Emperor, as long as the news is calling him that, and we all can guess that next arc will probably feature the fall of another emperor, which will make it completely official. Instead I'm going to try to compare him to other Emperors and see how he stacks up now, just to get a feel of whether or not this was too early.
First of all, I will attempt to answer the question: What constitutes an Emperor of the Sea?
This is of course, a title that has been bestowed so far on four powerful pirates in the New World, over at least two generations. Unlike the Shichibukai, this 'appointement' does not seem to be something ruled on by the World Government. Instead, it seems to function more like a popular 'nickname' for the powerful pirates with the most followers out there. The ones who quite literally, as the name suggests, rule over empires. So having territory, and a big pirate army to defend it, is quite necessary.
Another thing that seems necessary to being an Emperor of the Sea is notoriety. Luffy for instance, has only been hailed as the fifth Emperor after he broke the Billion Beli mark. It does seem however, that most other emperors have subbordinates who are very notorious too, such as Katakuri, Jack, Smoothie, Cracker, Perospero & Snack. I'm sure Marco, Jozu & Vista all had a bounty higher than Ace's 550 million too. So far, it seems like 500 Million is the mark to surpass to be in the big leagues as far as enfluence goes.
So in conclusion, in addition to the obvious power level required for being an Emperor, one needs Territory, Armies, and notoriety.
Territory:
So far, Luffy's territory in the New World is limited officially to Fishman Island, and Green Bit. Though one could argue that Dressrosa and Prodence (Elizabello's country) are also part of it, and maybe Orlumbus's country too, though his king didn't seem pleased by his joining Luffy at all in that one panel we got to see of him. Zou is loyal to a Samurai clan that Luffy hasn't fully put under him yet, so I would hold off on that one until Kaido is taken down. This seems like a pretty thin haul so far. After all, most independant supernova have hide outs of their own as Territory and Luffy has barely surpassed them a tiny bit so far on this regard.
Army:
On this one, I think Luffy has done pretty well for himself so far. He has a fleet of 7 crews besides his own, and though the Sun Pirates haven't declared for him officially yet, they are bound to Fishman Island, which has, so he can count on them when it counts. It's kind of ironic really, but the Germa 66 were looking to get an alliance with a Yonko through Sanji, and they got one, just not with the same Yonko. And let us not forget Shirahoshi of course, she is an ancient weapon after all.
Comparing to other Supernova, Luffy seems to be quite ahead, especially seeing as Bege and Law seem to be destined to be dragged under him, but the actual Emperors are still a lot better equipped than he is on this front.
Notoriety:
This one, I think we can measure with a certain ammount of accuracy, given that it is measured by numbers (bounties), and even compare a bit to another Emperor crew.
We have eight known bounties in the Big Mom Pirates, ranging from Katakuri at 1,057,000,000 beli to Bobbin at 105,000,000 beli. The average of these bounties is: 626,625,000 beli.
The average of the top 8 known bounties amongst Luffy's crew and allied subordinates is: 426,850,000 beli.
There is a ratio of 1.47 between the two values, as in the Big Mom Pirates are about one and a half times more notorious than The Strawhat Pirates. Though one has to keep in mind that the bounty of Big Mom herself isn't known yet, so the value I calculated is a lower limit. Maybe we should assume something along the lines of The Big Mom Pirates being about twice as notrious as the Strawhat Pirates.
----------------------
In conclusion, Luffy has most definitely broken from the pack of the Supernova, but his Emperorship seems to be still in it's infancy from a harsh critic's perspective. I think 'Big News' Morgan chose to start calling him an Emperor a bit prematurely, which is not necessarily a bad move, seeing as the string of achievements Luffy has had so far pointes towards him doing better in the future.