Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Wait, really? I thought it was just captain marvel that was set in the past. If antman doesn't take place after this movie I am going to be extremely disappointed.

It's precisely because it's fucked up that this would be amazing to behold. I'd honestly feel robbed if I don't get to see a world where half the population is gone.
Yeah that's not gonna happen... Ant-Man just isn't that kind of movie, even the latest trailer depicts it as being more upbeat and funky and silly and whatnot, no way they could/would attempt to pull something like that off.

That stuff is simply better suited for the next Avengers follow-up.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Wait, really? I thought it was just captain marvel that was set in the past. If antman doesn't take place after this movie I am going to be extremely disappointed.

It's precisely because it's fucked up that this would be amazing to behold. I'd honestly feel robbed if I don't get to see a world where half the population is gone.

SpiderMan Homecoming, Black Panther and Ant Man Wasp all those movies take place after "Civil War" and before "Infinity War". Homecoming was literally the following day, after Civil War and Black Panther was about a week later. Ant Man and the Wasp is more the likely the same scenario, but the reason it's coming out after Infinity War may have something to do with the Quantum Realm and how it can be used to aid the Avengers in the 4th film next year.

Captain Marvel takes place before the first Iron Man in 2008 and will learn how powerful this character becomes and how she'll be key to winning the war against Thanos. Why, Nick Fury is just contacting her now versus two Avenger's movies before is beyond me, but whatever.


p.s., the SpiderMan sequel coming out next summer after the 4th Avengers film is rumored to take place exactly 4 minutes after that film is over.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
SpiderMan Homecoming, Black Panther and Ant Man Wasp all those movies take place after "Civil War" and before "Infinity War". Homecoming was literally the following day, after Civil War and Black Panther was about a week later. Ant Man and the Wasp is more the likely the same scenario, but the reason it's coming out after Infinity War may have something to do with the Quantum Realm and how it can be used to aid the Avengers in the 4th film next year.

Captain Marvel takes place before the first Iron Man in 2008 and will learn how powerful this character becomes and how she'll be key to winning the war against Thanos. Why, Nick Fury is just contacting her now versus two Avenger's movies before is beyond me, but whatever.


p.s., the SpiderMan sequel coming out next summer after the 4th Avengers film is rumored to take place exactly 4 minutes after that film is over.
Yeah, her being contacted now is weird. Back then you had an actual alien army fighting the avengers in new york and he didn't call her meanwhile now he sees a few people disappear and decides shit got real enough. To me captain marvel still seems random. why make her so powerful when in the comics she is basically... nothing special really. Don't get me wrong, at least based on what I read online she is definitely powerful but her power seems to be vastly inferior to most cosmic beings and gods around barring the occasional powerup and such.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Yeah, her being contacted now is weird. Back then you had an actual alien army fighting the avengers in new york and he didn't call her meanwhile now he sees a few people disappear and decides shit got real enough. To me captain marvel still seems random. why make her so powerful when in the comics she is basically... nothing special really. Don't get me wrong, at least based on what I read online she is definitely powerful but her power seems to be vastly inferior to most cosmic beings and gods around barring the occasional powerup and such.
Because they want a high tier female character that isn't an X-Man and Marvel doesn't have a ton of those. At least not that get much name recognition.

If your looking for a powerful hero that happens to be a woman. Carol Danvers is pretty much it. It's her or She Hulk and nobody wants She Hulk. I assume they will be doing something a bit different with her than the comics because her comic background is really terrible. Basically Jessica Jones 2.0. Like, seriously, no sane writer would want to touch any of that with a 50 ft poll. So I'm assuming whatever version we get is going to be vastly different. Much like they did with Ant Man and Wasp who were similarly... problematic.

Honestly, the really high tier Marvel characters I sort of hope they either change completely or just stay away from. Characters like Sentry and Adam Warlock are just a mess.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Because they want a high tier female character that isn't an X-Man and Marvel doesn't have a ton of those. At least not that get much name recognition.

If your looking for a powerful hero that happens to be a woman. Carol Danvers is pretty much it. It's her or She Hulk and nobody wants She Hulk. I assume they will be doing something a bit different with her than the comics because her comic background is really terrible. Basically Jessica Jones 2.0. Like, seriously, no sane writer would want to touch any of that with a 50 ft poll. So I'm assuming whatever version we get is going to be vastly different. Much like they did with Ant Man and Wasp who were similarly... problematic.

Honestly, the really high tier Marvel characters I sort of hope they either change completely or just stay away from. Characters like Sentry and Adam Warlock are just a mess.
They had scarlet witch for such a role though. She has reality warping powers with which could and should be relevant on a cosmic scale. They got rid of her problematic past as well but they never actually used her powers to their full potential. Except using an off hand explanation about why it could destroy the infinity stone vision was using as a battery. Maybe whoever the hell carol danvers is makes more sense as a hero and whatnot but if they needed a bullshit level of powerful character then definitely scarlet witch made more sense. That said, looking around other female marvel female characters none of them particularly stand out besides captain marvel. A couple x men do stand out but.... I am thinking that will be past the new avenger's soft reboot for the universe ( oh yeah, I have the theory that whichever avenger uses the infinity gauntlet to undo thanos' mass murder will also unintentionally reboot the universe so that previous movies aren't irrelevant but at the same time allow the xmen to exist since disney bought fox. And also eradicate the inhumans from every multiverse).
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
They're introducing Danvers so they can expand upon the Kree stuff (and subsequently Skrull stuff) that was introduced in GotG. And also, they got a pretty big actress to play her and it'll let them print more money with her standalone films as well.
 

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 12, 2008
Messages
27,709
Reaction score
27,506
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Wait, really? I thought it was just captain marvel that was set in the past. If antman doesn't take place after this movie I am going to be extremely disappointed.

It's precisely because it's fucked up that this would be amazing to behold. I'd honestly feel robbed if I don't get to see a world where half the population is gone.
As @Eigengrau said, Ant-Man and the Wasp happens between Civil War and IW. It'll explain how he got into his house arrest and subsequently missing from Avengers. I expect that we'll see the result of Thanos' finger snapping; so my guess is the post-credit scene will show their reaction to that and somewhat set the scene for his involvement in Avengers 4.

Also if you've seen the film and had a similar theory to most people I've spoken to, then it's been confirmed.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Infinity War was intense, and it's honestly such a great movie.
 

Rein Avara

aka Ēsu Taichou
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Aug 23, 2010
Messages
3,226
Reaction score
6,476
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Infinity War was intense, and it's honestly such a great movie.
Agreed, when Bob and I left the theatres we literally could believe what had just happened.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Agreed, when Bob and I left the theatres we literally could believe what had just happened.
Thankful that the sequel will be out in a year or so. But then again, they can't really make more movies until this gets resolved, unless the movies take place before the you-know-what. I think Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp are two of such movies?
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Thankful that the sequel will be out in a year or so. But then again, they can't really make more movies until this gets resolved, unless the movies take place before the you-know-what. I think Captain Marvel and Ant-Man and the Wasp are two of such movies?
Ant-man and the Wasp happens between Civil War and Infinity War.
Captain Marvel is an origin film set in the 70s (or is it 80s?).
 
  • Like
Reactions: M3J

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
Ant-man and the Wasp happens between Civil War and Infinity War.
Captain Marvel is an origin film set in the 70s (or is it 80s?).
90s actually.


Half of the internet seems to hate Maleks eyes, but I think this looks pretty promising.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,230
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I thought a movie with Sacha Baron Cohen as him sounded more interesting. But apparently the surviving members of Queen wanted something like half of the movie to be about them after Mercury's death... which obviously doesn't sound like an interesting movie.
 

Riku

Dirty Blonde
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
3,735
Reaction score
17,766
Country
Torumekian Empire
I thought a movie with Sacha Baron Cohen as him sounded more interesting. But apparently the surviving members of Queen wanted something like half of the movie to be about them after Mercury's death... which obviously doesn't sound like an interesting movie.
Cohen Would have been more interesting option. Yeah, it's been a troubled production by many standards. That's a reason why I'm so positively surprised by the trailer. I really hope they didn't go that route. May and others are cool, but Freddie is the interesting one.
 
  • Like
Reactions: xi0

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Movies I've seen since my last posting:

- The Great Buddha +

I went to see this one for the heck of it. Reviews I'd seen beforehand called this a "dark comedy" of sorts, and it was indeed very funny in some parts but in a tragic sort of way. Still, I felt like the story and all of its characters were really, really tragic, and in a couple of scenes I really got the feels, which I wasn't expecting at all from this film going into it.

Really glad I watched it, it really surprised me in a lot of ways.

:cookiestare

- An Elephant Sitting Still


Easily one of the highlights of the year for me so far.
The movie is 3 hours and 50 minutes long.
I was a little worried at first because I'd never seen such a long film before (especially in a theater, although it's pretty much only 25mins longer than Andrei Rublev which I saw in theaters) but I was glued to the screen for the entirety of it.

I know not everyone would want to sit in a theater and watch a 4-hours long film, but if by some miracle you get the chance to see this film, I think you should give it a shot.

This was the first and last film made by the director, a 29-year old guy who killed himself shortly before finishing (I think?) the film, which is really, really tragic (and dare I say ironic?) because the whole film is about the selfishness of human beings.

The whole film was really something else, quite the experience. I mean, with 4 hours total, you end up getting sucked into these characters' lives and become engrossed in their story.

It's such a shame that Hu Bo (director) killed himself... this was easily one of those films that made me (or rather, would HAVE made me) go "I definitely want to watch anything else this person might do in the future".

:/

:cookiestare

- Grass

First film I've seen from this director.
It was alright, then again it was only 66mins long.
Easy watch, good ideas and some really good dialogues, but ultimately I wish the movie was longer.

:cookiestare

- Pororoca

Damn this film felt like a real kick to the gut (in a good way).
The premise is very simple, and similar to oh so many films that have come before:
A family of four (husband, wife, son and daughter) is torn apart after the daughter vanishes from the park, where she was with her father and brother (this whole scene was done in an 18min-long take).

Yeah, not exactly "new", but the film is 2 and a half hours long. It's a LOT of time, and there's a lot of "repetition" throughout (like the father visiting the park over and over and over again and staying there for hours on end), but this is all done so that we may experience the destruction and downward spiral of the father (main character), who is eventually abandoned by his wife/son who moved to her parent's home.

You can see the poor dude slowly lose his mind, as well as his weight... I really feel like his transformation was incredible to witness.

In most films with a similar plot, you get thrown into the investigation and shit like that... not here.

Here, you get to feel the desperation and the pointlessness of it all. The daughter is gone and that's just it, nothing anyone can do about it.

My friend who saw it with me was a bit sleepy throughout the whole thing, but I enjoyed the film.

Especially the last 10-15minutes... holy shit. I kid you not, the entire theater GASPED when something happened, no one (myself included) was expecting something like THAT to happen, especially the way it was depicted.

The ending dropicked everyone in the nuts and ovaries out of nowhere. It was fucking crazy.

In the end, this isn't a film about an abduction/conspiracy/mystery of any kind... A kid has gone missing, and we get to witness the devastating effects this event has on a family.

:cookiestare

- 24 Frames

Did you see the trailer? Good.
When I first saw it, I thought to myself "okay, there's 24 uninterrupted shots, this could really be interesting and the shots look kinda sweet" and I was under the impression that all it was "natural".

No.
The movie was pure ass and a pain to sit through, for both my friend and I. Thankfully I won a couple of tickets so we didn't waste any money on it, but still.

In case you couldn't tell - because I sure as hell couldn't - most/all of those shots have been edited in post-production, and the effects are TERRIBLE.

That deer at 0:26? Fake.
That snow? Fake.

The crows, deer and snow in the next shot? Fake.

That car window going down at 0:50? F-A-K-E.

Everything about this film was fucking painful to experience.

All the "nature" elements such as snow, rain and thunder were CLEARLY not there. I mean, they didn't even bother adding snowflakes/rain on to the animals/characters in those very same scenes.

And the audio effects? It's almost as if someone googled " wind sound effect" and used the first result that came up. I would and have done better works in the past, at least in the audio department. This was just embarassing, as was the quality of the CGI.

Terrible, from start to finish with the exception of maybe 1-3 shots. The only "good" thing about this whole experience is that every shot only ever lasted for roughly 4 somethin minutes... but still... pure ass.

:cookiestare

- A Quiet Place

Finally got around to seeing it, and at this time I don't think there's much else to be said. Yes, it was good overall in part due to the directing.

I wasn't a fan of some of the characters' choices throughout the film, and there might be a plothole or two, but overall it was a good and solid experience.

With the confirmation that a sequel is already in the works, all I can hope for is that this franchise(?) becomes what 28 Days/Weeks should've been.

There's a lot of things they can do with this threat/world they have built, and a lot of different settings/situations that could be explored in a lot of interesting ways, so let's just hope they don't fuck it.

I'm still hoping for Hereditary to be better though. I want to believe that the hype is real, but with horror films you just never know.

:cookiestare

- Rosemary's Baby

An oldie, I know, yeah, but I never saw it before and there was a free showing at a library nearby so I thought to myself "why not?".

I've wanted to see the Apartment Trilogy for a while now, a friend of mine even got me the 3 films last year but my external hard drive died with all the films in it so I never got around to seeing them... well, only 2 to go.

It wasn't exactly spectacular or anything like that, but it's one of those that I can finally cross out of my watchlist. I mean the whole thing was extremely predictable but then again the film is 50 years old (holy shit!).

Mia Farrow was really cute in it though.


Also I finally figured out where the dialogue was sampled from in this track that I love!
Should've figured that out by the title though...

:cookiestare

And finally, I saw a post-apocalyptic "trilogy" of sorts by Konstantin Lopushansky, who was the protégé of Andrei Tarkovsky (who directed Stalker, my all time favorite film).

The 3 films are:
- Dead Man's Letters;
- Visitor to a Museum;
- Russian Symphony (which I saw today).

Visitor to a Museum is definitely the best one and the one that's more similar to Stalker, but all films are worth the watch for what they are and how they look.

The imagery is simply astonishing and I found myself wondering time and time again how they could achieve such things back then. It's mind-blowing.



I will definitely watch the rest of his films, but The Ugly Swans should be next on my list.

And with that, I'm currently up to 48 films seen this year so far :awe

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
​
Has anyone else been paying attention to the reviews/trailers for the upcoming films that are currently premiering at Cannes?

I'm looking forward to Noé's "Climax" (which comes after "Love" pffftch:teehee:teehee:teehee)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDDeCOarFtU

But I was wondering what everyone else thinks about the recent "controversy" regarding The House That Jack Built, by Lars Von Trier?

In case you aren't up to date, here's a quick summary:

‘The House That Jack Built’ First Reactions: ‘Lars Has Gone Too Far This Time’ As 100 People Walk Out — Cannes

Mass Walkouts for ‘Vomitive,’ ‘Torturous’ Lars von Trier Serial Killer Movie ‘The House That Jack Built’

  • Lars von Trier’s ‘The House That Jack Built’ was one of the most unpleasant movie-going experiences of my life.
  • The House That Jack Built feels like a suicide note.
  • Walked out on LarsvonTrier . Vile movie. Should not have been made. Actors culpable
  • Not surprised. Lars has gone too far this time. Guess he will be banned again lol.
  • Just left Lars Von Trier's The House that Jack Built.
    Gross. Pretentious. Vomitive. Torturous. Pathetic.
  • Sadistic murder porn that inspired more than a few walkouts. But such is usually Von Trier’s MO
  • Lars Von Trier’s The House That Jack Built is an ordeal of gruesomeness and tiresomeness, quite as exasperating as I feared, but leading to what I have to admit is a spectacular horror finale.
  • why can’t Lars von Trier just make a normal fcking movie for once. pushing limits is one thing but he’s just a complete sadist expressing his narcissism and contempt for the world through his art.
Here's the (nsfw?) trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TOBHa71SXw

I already had an interest in seeing the film prior to these reactions, but I know very well what kind of director Lars Von Trier is.

Should I really give him my money to see a 2h35mins long film where a guy gets away with something some very, VERY bad things and that's it?

That's exactly why I have absolutely no interest in seeing crap like A Serbian Film. Horror and gore and stuff isn't a problem, but trying to be edgy and shocking the viewer just because you can and want to upset them... to me that's kinda cringy and pointless.

With that being said, the trailer is quite strange and enticing (altough some shots look like shit, almost as if they aren't done being colorized properly) but I think I would feel kinda dirty giving him my money, especially with the recent allegations against him and whatnot.

When it comes to this sort of thing, how do you proceed? Do you always draw the line between the creator and their work?

I think it's a very interesting topic.
(sorry for the long post:derp)
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Yea I saw those walkouts. Haven't seen many of his films, but with Nymphomaniac, he did a similar thing with sex to shock/test the audience imo. A friend of mine saw reason for it, I didn't, felt like sadism (this movie went forever too). The person asking for a 'normal movie' though :lmao isn't Von Trier avant garde? Dogville was interesting though, took away the illusion of seeing movie, but by the end it didn't feel like the fourth wall was torn down.

I'm not into those 'torture porn' movies, regardless of who has made it. I could end up seeing the movie if I'm in a mood for it.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Yea I saw those walkouts. Haven't seen many of his films, but with Nymphomaniac, he did a similar thing with sex to shock/test the audience imo. A friend of mine saw reason for it, I didn't, felt like sadism (this movie went forever too). The person asking for a 'normal movie' though :lmao isn't Von Trier avant garde? Dogville was interesting though, took away the illusion of seeing movie, but by the end it didn't feel like the fourth wall was torn down.

I'm not into those 'torture porn' movies, regardless of who has made it. I could end up seeing the movie if I'm in a mood for it.
I think Antichrist was the only film of his I've seen so far. Saw it twice in theaters, actually.

But yeah, this is typical Lars Von Trier backlash, and seems that it wasn't enough for him.

I will probably see this if it comes to a theater near me, but then again I don't know.

I had this talk with my friend and she looked at me like "bruh" but I think I brought up a good point.

Take the recent Tarantino controversy, where it was revealed that during the shooting of Kill Bill he was the one to spit on Uma Thurman, as well as choke the living shit out of her (in both instances the character is off screen so we don't see that it's him).

That, and how he forced her to do a stunt by herself that fucked her up pretty badly.

And with stuff like this, I gotta ask: why?

Everyone knows that he's kind of a weird guy with a huge foot fetish and shit, but when I read about this other crap I find myself wondering if deep down Tarantino isn't simply making wanking material for himself that costs hundreds of millions just because he can.

Not a fan of Kill Bill but I've been digging his recent films (haven't seen Hateful 8 though) but I just don't feel like giving him money anymore.

I know this might sound silly and I never took this kind of stance in the past, but yeah.

For example, Louis CK is still funny despite all the things he has done, but would I pay to see his work from now on? Probably not, and with the sexual abuse allegations against Lars's production company and whatnot, I just find myelf wondering if it's "right" to give them my money.

Another example is Casey Affleck; if he's indeed guilty of all that stuff, then he's huge prick, but that doesn't mean he's not a very talented actor.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,855
Reaction score
23,526
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Man, those movies sound awful. This is why I don't really go to see horror movies much anymore.

I honestly don't understand why people like movies like that. It's not really telling much of a story. Even if it works as intended it's just using a kind of emotional manipulation to make the audience uncomfortable. Which seems unwise. Like Silence of the Lambs was not good because of the shock and the gore. Jaws was not good just because a dude got bitten in half. It was because of the substance underneath that.

What's happened to that genre reminds me a bit of what happened to westerns in the late 70s early 80s. Where they suddenly became these rapey miserable grim dark murder fantasies. Which ultimately killed that whole genre.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Man, those movies sound awful. This is why I don't really go to see horror movies much anymore.

I honestly don't understand why people like movies like that. It's not really telling much of a story. Even if it works as intended it's just using a kind of emotional manipulation to make the audience uncomfortable.
But technically doesn't every single film resort to some form of manipulation, considering that everything we're seeing IS manipulated footage according to the director's vision? But I get what you mean.

Still, even though Lars Von Trier has his issues and everyone is fully aware that he likes to do his own thing, I am a thousand times more likely to see his latest film rather than, say, A Serbian Film.

When the movie came out back in 2010, I remember reading through the Parents Guide on imdb (which goes on and on listing all the terrible things the movie has) and thinking to myself "why would I waste my time with this"?

The gore, snuff and other terrible stuff isn't an issue; it's the fact that the whole thing looks and sounds gratuitous, and was only made to be as edgy as possible. Not worth my time.

With Lars, however... well, he's still an "auteur", for better or worse, so even if somewhat misguided I believe his films are bound to have SOME sort of quality to them.

See, for example, I enjoyed the Saw movies because I liked the story underneath the whole gore. The 1st was the best and from then on the traps just became shittier and shittier, but still, there was something beyond that pile of gore.

The House That Jack Built is over 2 and a half hours long, so I don't know, maybe that should leave some room for something else besides killing and mutilating and stuff.

What's happened to that genre reminds me a bit of what happened to westerns in the late 70s early 80s. Where they suddenly became these rapey miserable grim dark murder fantasies. Which ultimately killed that whole genre.
Reminds me of this recent film called Revenge.
A youtuber that I usually check for reviews and stuff said a lot of good things about it, much to my surprise, but me I just gotta ask;

Isn't it a bit too much to still be doing "woman gets raped and then hunts the bad guys one by one" films in 2018?

I'm not saying this in a feminist sense or anything like that, only that the gimmick is fucking decades old already and there's nothing new coming out from said films. What's the point? Do females only turn badass after they're raped...? I don't get it, which is why I have absolutely no interest in seeing that film, or any similar film that doesn't try anything new besides "this character was raped so now you have to feel sorry for them and be okay with what they will do next".

:cookiestare
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,244
Reaction score
33,630
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I don't really watch horror anymore. It feels like recently there's a comeback with movies such as The Babadook, Get Out etc ?? Those were by no means gore-fests though. I'll admit I watched tons of those movies when I was younger, practically everything my video store had in the horror section. I just don't like them anymore.

I think Antichrist was the only film of his I've seen so far. Saw it twice in theaters, actually.

But yeah, this is typical Lars Von Trier backlash, and seems that it wasn't enough for him.

I will probably see this if it comes to a theater near me, but then again I don't know.

I had this talk with my friend and she looked at me like "bruh" but I think I brought up a good point.

Take the recent Tarantino controversy, where it was revealed that during the shooting of Kill Bill he was the one to spit on Uma Thurman, as well as choke the living shit out of her (in both instances the character is off screen so we don't see that it's him).

That, and how he forced her to do a stunt by herself that fucked her up pretty badly.

And with stuff like this, I gotta ask: why?

Everyone knows that he's kind of a weird guy with a huge foot fetish and shit, but when I read about this other crap I find myself wondering if deep down Tarantino isn't simply making wanking material for himself that costs hundreds of millions just because he can.

Not a fan of Kill Bill but I've been digging his recent films (haven't seen Hateful 8 though) but I just don't feel like giving him money anymore.

I know this might sound silly and I never took this kind of stance in the past, but yeah.

For example, Louis CK is still funny despite all the things he has done, but would I pay to see his work from now on? Probably not, and with the sexual abuse allegations against Lars's production company and whatnot, I just find myelf wondering if it's "right" to give them my money.

Another example is Casey Affleck; if he's indeed guilty of all that stuff, then he's huge prick, but that doesn't mean he's not a very talented actor.
Okay, I see where you're going with this.

I think I heard about the Uma Thurman thing years after seeing Kill Bill and didn't think much on it. It's 'easy' to be the ignorant consumer. I wouldn't be able to answer why, but it's a good question - what is an acceptable cost for artistic expression? The choking part is okay for me, but the dangerous stunts, no, I don't think that is.

I guess that actors/actresses consent to do these things (and are paid), so does that make it okay?
 
Top