Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Infinity War today and eager to this because it's built on 10 years of previous MCU films that have been up and down for me.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Just watched Infinity War... Really great movie! I found it to be almost as good as some of the more recent movies... but only slightly less... it's about 95% as good... Since enjoyment is subjective, your mileage may vary.

I won't say much about the movie itself since I don't want to spoil it for the many going to it, but I will say a couple of things...
The preview screens lied about who was where... at least some of those in the previews were not where they were presented....
and this movie totally ends in a cliff... a huge cliff.... Of course that was to be expected anyway since there was supposed to be a follow up movie next year, on or around the same date.

It just means I will have to buy my tickets for that followup movie 2 months in advance instead of the 1 month in advance I did this time. :XD
I will be going to this movie again... just as soon as seats become available... probably sometime next week.... or two.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Yesterday I saw "Caniba", a documentary about an infamous Japanese figure, Issei Sagawa (google it and results will come up right away, but NSFW), a man who killed and ate a woman in the 80s, but was deemed insane and thus freed.

He's still alive today but somewhat sick, but yeah. It's a very visceral and extreme documentary, and it's shot in an interesting, yet somehow unfriendly manner: everything is in close-ups, and most shots are usually out of focus.

I had somewhat of an idea what I was getting into, but it's definitely not something a lot of people can stomach...

VICE also did a documentary on him a few years ago.



Also I just got done watching Infinity War :derp
No spoilers, but like pretty much all reviewers on youtube have said, "you people aren't ready for this".

It's an alright film with a lot of surprises and twists for sure, but at the end of the day it's still a Marvel film like all the others, so obviously it still has some problems.

Strangely, even though the film has like 2h30mins, it felt like it barely had any scenes/set pieces at all.

Maybe that's because when you jump to a scene/character, there's always (duh) a ton of other characters there as well, but yeah it's super strange because it feels like there's only like 20-30 scenes in it... I know I'm wrong, but that's how it felt to me.

Then again I assume the whole action takes places in under a day, so yeah.

People have said that the film was unrelentless and "non-stop action", and I think it kinda hurts the film in the end. There's a lot of "rushing" and I don't think they've left that much room for the actual dramatic scenes to breathe.

Anyway, it's a film that I watched just for the sake of it. Like I said I barely even see superhero movies, so for me it's certainly not that big of a deal.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Infinity War today and eager to this because it's built on 10 years of previous MCU films that have been up and down for me.
Avengers: Infinity War 8 / 10 :cheez

Overall, I think for a film with this many characters as well as introducing new ones and carrying out a plot was done well. From beginning to end, it's fast paced for a reason, because the heroes are pressed for time to try and prevent Thanos from achieving his ultimate goal and the past two Avengers films alone have stated, this guy has been lurking in the shadows for awhile.

What I like most about the film is the main focus on Thanos and his perception of balance in order to truly survive in the universe. I've never seen a villain as calm and relaxed as well as "confident" in his or her's ability to succeed at any cost. And Thanos shows all sides of himself in this film for what he's willing to do to win.

The heroes have been established, some for quite a while and recent, so there was no real need to develop them in this film because they all were caught up in this scenario of saving the universe from Thanos by preventing the complete gathering of the Infinity stones. Plus, what I realized by the end of the film is, the Avengers were not a complete team and that's the main reason they lost. However, the last two battles were extremely done well and you can tell they did there best to fight it out with the limited time they were given. By the end, it was almost like playing the final 4th round in basketball with 60 seconds left on the clock to win.

There was really only one surprise (for me at least) in this film that involved more or less a cameo from a particular character from the past films and his role was actually important, probably more than anyone will give credit too. And there was a small death count in the film, so no worries to the fans out there, it's all good.

But, Thanos was the most interesting character in the film and I'm glad he was, since the Marvel films are finally focusing more on the importance of the villains and not just the heroes. :super


p.s., the post credits scene kind of bothered me considering how it went down and why, this wasn't done sooner in previous films. :eek:
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Avengers Infinity War was a 9 out of 10 for me.

It balanced the massive cast far better than I could have expected and Thanos was just plain awesome. Best superhero movie villain yet. The stuff with him and Gamorra in particular really elevated the movie to a whole other level.

Don't really want to say anything else for fear of spoilers so I'll just say that I liked it a lot. Definitely in my top 3 superhero movies.
 

Ice devil slayer

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2016
Messages
1,387
Reaction score
2,534
Age
28
Country
France
That ending tho damn
Gave me the chills
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Robot Carnival 10 / 10

This is one of the very first anime features I got to see back in 1995 on the Cartoon Network. Before both "Toonami" and "Adult Swim" came into play on this network, there was a midnight special titled "Nightmare of the Vampire Robots" that showcased three special anime features. Robot Carnival, Vampire Hunter D (1985) and Twilight of the Cockroaches and after, watching these specific features I've been a changed artist and immediately became fan of anime for the past 23 years now.

However, Robot Carnival stood out the most for me as it was a collaboration of small featured shorts with robot themes and the animation was beautiful. Even the music incorporated into this film made it engaging. I highly recommend this movie which is now available on both DVD and Blu-Ray at rightstuf.com, I'll post the link with this post at the end. I'll say this, Robot Carnival is basically like Fantasia for anime and I think, for all anime fans alike, if you haven't seen this film you definitely should. :super

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Robot-Carnival-DVD
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
Infinity War was great! Too bad they killed Superman, he'd have taken out Thanos quickly.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Seen the following films recently:

- A Gentle Creature. It's based on a short story by Dostoievski I believe. A woman finds that a package she sent to her imprisoned husband has been returned for no apparent reason, so she sets out to find out why by going to see him for the first time, but unfortunately it won't be that simple. It's one of those films where the whole thing is pretty much a criticism of a country's rules/corrupt system and whatnot, but I liked it, it was worth my time (almost 2h30 hours long). But it's a very, very tough watch with some scenes that can really shock the viewer... At one point I could really feel the temperature drop in the packed theater... no one was expecting that scene for sure, it hit you like a frickin' baseball bat out of nowhere...

- Mutafukaz, a feature animation. It was alright, but would've prefered if the original voicing was done in Japanese :p. One of the directors also worked on Akira (film).

- The Night Eats The World, a zombie film. Liked it way more than I was expecting. Not your typical zombie film since you're pretty much stuck with just one character, there's almost no dialogues for the majority of the film, etc.... Personally I think it's a refreshing experience when it comes to the zombie genre. If you don't mind slow movie with a somewhat lack of action/zombie killing, you could give this a shot. The movie also did tension and jumpscares very well.
Fun fact: the movie was apparently simultaneously shot in 2 languages: French and English. I saw the English version.

- Les Garçons Sauvages (The Wild Boys) was uh... a very strange and trippy film. Going into it I was thinking "ok, it's gonna be one of THOSE films", but I actually ended up enjoying and liking it quite a lot. At first I was just going to give it a shot because it looked very interesting visually (and it sure was), but in the end the whole thing intrigued me and everyone in the audience. Not for everyone though, but yeah.

Since there are no subs: a group of 5 violent boys is judged for an horrible crime they have commited. As punishment, a ruthless man known as The Captain takes them on his ship on a journey towards a certain island with very peculiar properties.
Fun fact: all the "boys" in the film are actually women, in case you couldn't tell. I had seen the trailer 2-3 times before reading somewhere about it, and couldn't tell that they weren't actually boys :0!
 

Elusia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
11,568
Country
Philippines
Man, everyone watched Infinity Wars while I still haven't :emocat
While waiting, I watched some 2017 movies that I've missed.

The Greatest Showman had an unoriginal plot, so it was very predictable. The characters aren't so interesting either, but I would be lying if I say that I didn't enjoy the film. It was energetic and fun. The soundtrack was spectacular and allowed the plot to go forward.

I'm aware that it is not historically accurate, which is one of the reasons why some people didn't enjoy this film as much, but I had a good time watching it and gave it a 7/10.

Coco was amazing. The plot, while having a formula that I've seen now and then, has its charm and the characters and the damn, beautiful animation were excellent. I do have some nitpicks, like the main character being slightly annoying and a dull villain.

With that in mind, I gave it a 9/10.

Thor: Ragnarok was decent. The plot and characters are a bit bland and uninteresting. Though, the set-ups and plot-twists kept me engaged. It left me quite impressed in the end. The interactions between some characters are also neat. I wish I could see more moments like that.

It's easily the best Thor movie, but I didn't enjoy it as much as others do. I gave it a 6/10
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, got the chance to see infinity war. Easily the best avengers film and a great movie for the MCU in general.

My only real issue with thanos is that he is a deranged enviromentalist/ population control freak. It's been done to death and is basically a cliche. Not to mention that his population control doesn't make sense at the scale he suggests, as if species that can travel space easily would have the risk of running out of resources... Thanos' plan is ultimately a dumber version of Samuel L Jackson's plan in the kingsmen. Other than that the character was played brilliantly.

This movie also did something I never expected: It made me want iron man 4. To me iron man 3 is one of the worst movies in MCU. It gave us the shittiest mandarin and most of the plot twists were plain stupid. It actually made me pessimistic about MCU for a while. But toni was great in avengers and for once didn't screw everything up and passed for a competent warrior. And at the end of the movie he was left stranded on titan alongside a lone nebula. I WANT A MOVIE WITH TONI TRAVELLING THE GALAXY. More, than that, I need it.

Another bit of the movie that I am somewhat iffy about is thor's role in it. It makes sense of course that thor would be the only one with a shred of a chance at taking thanos. But this movie seems to kinda ignore ragnarok stuff. I mean, in ragnarok thor learns he doesn't need the hammer to wield his full might and all that. And now he spends the entirety of the movie getting a new weapon. And don't get me wrong, thor with the rabbit is the weirdest and best pairing in the movie, but I felt the movie should have taken more time to explain more stuff about this weapon and how and why it's different from the old hammer and why this isn't crapping on ragnarok.

Spiderman was great in this movie. TBH I wish spiderman would have a role more like the hulk. Spiderman's movie was great however I kinda get the feeling he is at his best when hanging out with other superheroes. I have so far enjoyed spiderman more in civil war and infinity war than even in his own movie, however great it was.

As for the hulk, I don't think his situation is that big a mystery. Either he misses valkarie (in which case I completely understand) or thanos and his servants simply scare the crap out of him.

Oh, I just remembered a bit of the movie which actually irked me. We see these thanos children fighting vision and scarlet witch and managing to keep the upper hand... And then natasha, steve and the winged guy show up and kick their asses? PLEAAAAASE. If you can fistfight vision then there is no way anything steve can do can even make you flinch. I guess the same goes for thanos in a way.

I also felt the movie robbed me of something. It's a dumb thing but I actually wanted starlord to meet captain america.

Steve: Sup, I am steve rogers.
Peter: Yeah right and I am george washington.
Toni: That's actually THE captain america.
Peter: HOLY CRAP CAN I HAVE YOUR AUTOGRAPH FANGIRL SCREAMS

I also look forward to seeing where rocket shows up next. He was left on earth and without other guardians meaning that he is kinda stranded there. Unless thor takes him on his galaxy wide quest searching for toni and thanos. Fuck, and now I need thor 4 as badly as IM4.

I guess my favorite bit about this is the ending. I do expect (and fuck MCU if they go all subversive on this) toni will get the infinity gauntlet and undo everything in the future but in the meantime I look forward to seeing how the MCU movies deal with half the earth's population, and even the universe's, ceasing to exist. I just hope this bit doesn't get fixed by captain marvel. It's not a superhero I am generally familiar with but it seems like they are giving her a substantial power up compared to the comics. I hope she doesn't arbitrarily have the capacity to fix what thanos did.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
My only real issue with thanos is that he is a deranged enviromentalist/ population control freak. It's been done to death and is basically a cliche. Not to mention that his population control doesn't make sense at the scale he suggests, as if species that can travel space easily would have the risk of running out of resources... Thanos' plan is ultimately a dumber version of Samuel L Jackson's plan in the kingsmen. Other than that the character was played brilliantly.
Could not disagree more.

I mean, I've seen it done before too but never anything like this. And I didn't think his plan was dumb at all. It was insane. Which was the point, I think. The plan made perfect sense to him. You compare it to the Kingsman villain but in that it what he was doing was essentially grounded in elitism to go along with the movies central theme. This version of Thanos actually thought he was helping everyone by trying to achieve a balance that, as the outside observer can see, doesn't really exist.

And as somebody who knows the Infinity War plotline from the comics and liked it a lot. This is going to be so much better.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Could not disagree more.

I mean, I've seen it done before too but never anything like this. And I didn't think his plan was dumb at all. It was insane. Which was the point, I think. The plan made perfect sense to him. You compare it to the Kingsman villain but in that it what he was doing was essentially grounded in elitism to go along with the movies central theme. This version of Thanos actually thought he was helping everyone by trying to achieve a balance that, as the outside observer can see, doesn't really exist.

And as somebody who knows the Infinity War plotline from the comics and liked it a lot. This is going to be so much better.
You can change the details but I would still argue it's the same thing. Sam L jackson thought he was doing humanity a favor by killing its poor uneducated people. Thanos thought he was doing the universe a favor by almost randomly (I would argue he spared people he respected) eliminating half the universe's population. Sure, elitism is a bitch but the difference is marginal. I agree of course that with thanos the execution was much better. At least partly because Sam L Jackson acting as a Justin beiber/ali g who invites people to formal mcdonald meals makes him harder to take seriously. Thanos is at best a well executed cliche. And of course thanos is batshit insane, that much is overwhelmingly clear. As is anyone who thinks thanos could be right or had a point.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You can change the details but I would still argue it's the same thing. Sam L jackson thought he was doing humanity a favor by killing its poor uneducated people. Thanos thought he was doing the universe a favor by almost randomly (I would argue he spared people he respected) eliminating half the universe's population. Sure, elitism is a bitch but the difference is marginal. I agree of course that with thanos the execution was much better. At least partly because Sam L Jackson acting as a Justin beiber/ali g who invites people to formal mcdonald meals makes him harder to take seriously. Thanos is at best a well executed cliche. And of course thanos is batshit insane, that much is overwhelmingly clear. As is anyone who thinks thanos could be right or had a point.
I just fundamentally disagree with where your coming from, I guess.

The Joker for example has never been a unique angle on a villain in terms of the actions he takes but he's so great and iconic because of the "details" of the character. The same is true of this take on Thanos in my eyes. And I also think the Kingsman thing is just a false parallel. Thanos' goal was not to kill people. That was just his method. His goal was some nebulous sense of balance. Making him inherently different than the Kingsman guy.

Knowing where this is probably going from the comic. I'm totally into his character arc.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
I just fundamentally disagree with where your coming from, I guess.

The Joker for example has never been a unique angle on a villain in terms of the actions he takes but he's so great and iconic because of the "details" of the character. The same is true of this take on Thanos in my eyes. And I also think the Kingsman thing is just a false parallel. Thanos' goal was not to kill people. That was just his method. His goal was some nebulous sense of balance. Making him inherently different than the Kingsman guy.

Knowing where this is probably going from the comic. I'm totally into his character arc.
Sam L jackson's goal in kingsmen wasn't to kill people. It was to save the environment and limited resources mumbo jumbo. Thanos definitely did it better but it's still basically the same motivation.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I guess my favorite bit about this is the ending. I do expect (and fuck MCU if they go all subversive on this) toni will get the infinity gauntlet and undo everything in the future but in the meantime I look forward to seeing how the MCU movies deal with half the earth's population, and even the universe's, ceasing to exist. I just hope this bit doesn't get fixed by captain marvel. It's not a superhero I am generally familiar with but it seems like they are giving her a substantial power up compared to the comics. I hope she doesn't arbitrarily have the capacity to fix what thanos did.
AFAIK Captain Marvel will be an origin movie. If there's ever a "present time" scene, it will probably be the post-credits scene or something as she gets the call from you know who.

There's only 2 Marvel films until the next Avengers so I highly doubt they'll be directly tackling the issues of this film's outcome.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
AFAIK Captain Marvel will be an origin movie. If there's ever a "present time" scene, it will probably be the post-credits scene or something as she gets the call from you know who.

There's only 2 Marvel films until the next Avengers so I highly doubt they'll be directly tackling the issues of this film's outcome.
I think I read captain marvel was going to be set in the 90s. And also according to the internet she will be the most powerful hero... It's kinda hard to imagine an avenger stronger than thor at this point TBH though. Even thor has not been quite fully exploited. The movies have made a mess of his powers while unarmed and they have hardly touched the odinforce even though it exists.

I don't think they necessarily have to tackle the films outcome. However this is a world where half the population is gone. We are talking even half the world leaders being gone in a blink. Given that the infinity glove caused all these people to cease to exist apparently, it shouldn't be something that characters could directly solve. Unless captain marvel can cure non existence. However this should be the setting for antman at least, a world where half the people are gone. Even if its not what the story is about.
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,854
Reaction score
23,524
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If they go with a version of the resolution from the original comics then...

Thanos is confronted by the cosmic heavy hitters and wins but during the fight Nebula manages to take the gauntlet which goes about as well as you would expect it to(not well). Then Thanos confronts her and brags about all he achieved with the gauntlet and tricks her into undoing everything he did in order to spite him.

Which brings everything back and causes the crazy lady to lose the glove o' terror on acount of getting tackled by the res'd heroes.

I kind of doubt they are going that way though. I suspect they are building to Thanos himself reversing what he did.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
However this should be the setting for antman at least, a world where half the people are gone. Even if its not what the story is about.
Nah, the events of the movie are set between Civil War and Infinity War. If anything and much like my prediction for Captain Marvel, the post-credit scenes would probably have X and Y characters disappearing from existence, maybe like the dude's daughter and everyone around or something.

That would be fucked up.
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Nah, the events of the movie are set between Civil War and Infinity War. If anything and much like my prediction for Captain Marvel, the post-credit scenes would probably have X and Y characters disappearing from existence, maybe like the dude's daughter and everyone around or something.

That would be fucked up.
Wait, really? I thought it was just captain marvel that was set in the past. If antman doesn't take place after this movie I am going to be extremely disappointed.

It's precisely because it's fucked up that this would be amazing to behold. I'd honestly feel robbed if I don't get to see a world where half the population is gone.
 
Top