Recently caught 'Love' by Gaspar Noe. Wonderfully shot movie, and an 'intimate' and visceral experience. There was a lot of sex in it. It didn't rock my world like Enter the Void did, but still was worth watching.
From beginning to end, this movie is fast paced and moves really well through the main character and the supporting characters he interacts with as well as there being an actual purpose to developing the character and the plot. The racing scene was amazing and takes you into it completely without any music in the back drop (kudos, Spielberg) and the sound was enough to engage the audiences.
The 80's references that were pasted all over this thing was out of control nostalgic and I was really taken back, especially the original bagging for Doritos', classic. There is even the main scene with "The Shining" and I got really hyped to see today's world of fiction mixed in with the old world and how it was brought together nicely. I feel like, Spielberg made an attempt to make a film that would bring the past generation and today's own together for a remarkable experience.
Spielberg has still got it, after recently seeing "The Post" earlier this year and "Ready Player One" this past weekend, it's safe to say that legendary directors prove that they can adapt to the changes of the times with their knowledge of what's important in filmmaking. You really have to find a way to relate and include your audiences and RPO did that perfectly.
From beginning to end, this movie is fast paced and moves really well through the main character and the supporting characters he interacts with as well as there being an actual purpose to developing the character and the plot.
I just didn't think that there was any kind of development at all...
When
the stacks blow up and Wade loses his aunt
,
it's like it didn't even happen. He didn't care at all. It was no big deal, no emotional impact whatsoever.
Same thing with the "romance"... when they first meet it was just cringy... he just met this girl and he's already touching her hair and whatnot, really awkward stuff.
And why did that dude with the scar have to knock him out to bring him in? That was just poor writing for the sake of leading the audience into assuming that he was a bad guy for what, 5 seconds? It was totally unnecessary...
And the whole "rebellion" thing came pretty much out of nowhere, too.
It was a nice spectacle but I almost feel like their avatars were a lot more dimensional than their IRL counterparts.
There was next to zero development to any of the characters, and I think one of the biggest problems of the movie was the narration/exposition, when they should've SHOWED us all of those things.
I finally got the courage (and time) to watch Hard To Be a God, which I had wanted to see for quite a while.
It's a 3 hours long, black and white russian film - from 2013, it's not an oldie - so yeah definitely not a mainstream film in any way, shape or form.
I'll leave the trailer here:
As you can probably tell, it's a crazy film. I haven't read the book, but every time I read about the film people always said that the dialogues didn't matter that much.
Also I kept seeing people referencing how you could almost "smell and taste" the film, and I totally understand now why that is.
The worldbuilding and setting is simply astonishing, it's as if you were actually there, and it's almost like that place REALLY existed at some point in time.
This is more than a film, it's a one of a kind experience. There's nothing like it out there.
It's also extremely well shot and framed. The mise-en-scène is breathtaking.
I highly doubt I'll convince anyone on here to watch it, but like I said there's absolutely nothing like it.
For a movie that is suppose to be conscious of it's characters and their ability to survive like this, the very beginning annoyed the f*** out of me and could've been prevented. I mean, the Father should've went out alone to get supplies not the whole damn family, but whatever. And the creatures could've been more interesting if, you would've seen and learned more about them and how to possibly "kill" them within the given time frame.
Now if you were born in the late 90's, there was a film called "Tremors" that takes place in Texas and Kevin Bacon (yeah, the guy Star Lord mentioned in Guardians Vol. 1) who starred in the film, he and his buddy suddenly come across these giant earth worms that track people down by vibrations and literally drag you into their mouths and eat you alive with these tentacles for tongues. What made the creatures scary was the more you learned about them early on in the film and later, how these people were going to survive and kill them. Eventually, they did and sequels were made afterwards. Point is, this new film had some potential, but I get why today's generation may have been more into it than myself.
Saw Annihilation today. This is a movie I will be watching again and soon, because I want to be sure about my interpretation of it. If I start rambling, I'll write a wall like I did with Mother! That in itself makes it highly recommendable. It's available on Netflix.
Also, found out there's a remake of the Italian nightmarish horror Suspiria (1977) coming out this year. Directed by Luca Guadagnino (Call me by your name), starring Chloe Grace Moretz in another horror remake. Reasonably excited for this, as far as reboots go.
That's about as good as an endorsement for a movie one can give. I'll gladly spend 3 hours watching something where creators are trying something different, even if it's not for me.
That's about as good as an endorsement for a movie one can give. I'll gladly spend 3 hours watching something where creators are trying something different, even if it's not for me.
Yay, that's awesome
Hopefully it'll be worth your time, and I'm sure you'll figure out early on if it's something you can sit through for 3 hours or not.
(me personally, I never walk out of a film or turn off a movie I'm watching at home; if I already started, might as well finish it)
If you don't want to feel too lost while watching it, I suggest you read the synopsis on imdb beforehand. Trust me, it's for the best that you do.
Saw Annihilation today. This is a movie I will be watching again and soon, because I want to be sure about my interpretation of it. If I start rambling, I'll write a wall like I did with Mother! That in itself makes it highly recommendable. It's available on Netflix.
Guess what (maybe you already know this) ?
Annihilation, both the film and the books, share a LOT of common things with "Roadside Picnic" (book), which in turn was adapted into a film by Tarkovsky, called "Stalker", which is my favorite film of all time.
And the authors of Roadside Picnic are the same ones who wrote "Hard To be a God", which was adapted into two films so far, one of those being the 2013 one I mentioned !
We have come full circle.
I haven't seen Annihilation yet though, been waiting for my friend so we can watch it together.
But yeah, Alex Garland (director) took a lot of inspiration from Stalker and Solaris, two Tarkovsky films. I haven't seen Solaris yet, but I think you might enjoy them.
They're very long and slow movies, not the action type and stuff, but I love them.
"Stalker" especially, all time favorite, although "Hard To be a God" easily made it to my top.
Annihilation, both the film and the books, share a LOT of common things with "Roadside Picnic" (book), which in turn was adapted into a film by Tarkovsky, called "Stalker", which is my favorite film of all time.
I listed Stalker in my top 10 for the game in fun forum, so we're on the same page here. Tarkovsky is one of my favourite directors as well, I've seen the 5 films he made in Russia. Solaris was the only one I was aware of (due to the reboot, which was okay), and yea, you're probably going enjoy the 1972 movie. The Mirror, also made by Tarkovsky, is a magnificent film too. A lot more artsy than the inward sci-fi's though. Can't go wrong with Ivan's Childhood either (not big the war genre, but it's up there for me, just short of the best war movie and another Russian film 'Come and See', which is brutal).
And the authors of Roadside Picnic are the same ones who wrote "Hard To be a God", which was adapted into two films so far, one of those being the 2013 one I mentioned !
I haven't seen Annihilation yet though, been waiting for my friend so we can watch it together.
But yeah, Alex Garland (director) took a lot of inspiration from Stalker and Solaris, two Tarkovsky films. I haven't seen Solaris yet, but I think you might enjoy them.
They're very long and slow movies, not the action type and stuff, but I love them.
You can feel the similarities, now that you mention it. Annihilation has more of a horror element than the other two, it's 'eerie' scary. I picked up Annihilation because of Garland's previous picture, Ex Machina, which I loved, you might like that.
You can feel the similarities, now that you mention it. Annihilation has more of a horror element than the other two, it's 'eerie' scary. I picked up Annihilation because of Garland's previous picture, Ex Machina, which I loved, you might like that.
I saw Ex Machina when it came out. It was alright, although the ending was somewhat predictable and stuff.
If/whenever you see Hard To Be a God be sure to let me/us know what you thought about it.
Like seriously, it's been I don't know how many days since I've seen it and I still can't stop thinking about it.
(and yeah, haven't seen Solaris, Ivan's Childhood and The Sacrifice, but I did see all the main others I believe)
You might have to at this point... This entire weekend is totally sold out.
Actually, I think you might be able to get a ticket for the very last showing on Sunday night... the one that gets out after 1am Monday.
Good luck going to work/school Monday morning.
You might have to at this point... This entire weekend is totally sold out.
Actually, I think you might be able to get a ticket for the very last showing on Sunday night... the one that gets out after 1am Monday.
Good luck going to work/school Monday morning.
Marvel/Superhero films aren't my thing though, that's why I mentioned the rip version. Never even seen a single Marvel film in theaters, I just tend to watch the avengers/phase end ones for the sake of it.
I'll pass on Infinity War since I haven't seen the second Avengers (I tried to). Haven't seen the Captain America's either and from what I know, you'll probably need to be familiar with events in those to watch IW as well. Not that keen on Marvel to watch all those lol.
Might see Super Troopers 2. The trailer does put me off with the recycled jokes. But they could've done that to remind people of it, so it might be the smart thing to show the old stuff in the preview, which is only like 1 minute to be fair. The sorta indie charm of the first one seems lost though.
I'll pass on Infinity War since I haven't seen the second Avengers (I tried to). Haven't seen the Captain America's either and from what I know, you'll probably need to be familiar with events in those to watch IW as well. Not that keen on Marvel to watch all those lol.
Eh, I wouldn't say it's necessary to watch all of those films. Besides, they even released a 20min video summary of pretty much everything leading up to Infinity War, so the way I see it anyone could watch that and be perfectly caught up.
Of course it's not the same as watching 20+ films, but yeah.
The movie came out earlier for us as usual! I still don't know why we get movies earlier than the US.
This movie is probably the The Last Jedi of the MCU - could be the most polarizing MCU film to date.
Despite the enormous cast and build up going into this one, I would say that it's not among the best MCU films so I'm a bit disappointed (coming from someone with high expectation)
There's just too much of a lot of things crammed into 2 hours and 38 mins.
I particularly enjoyed the bunch at Space; Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange and the Guardians of the Galaxy more than the Avengers that was on Earth. The bunch in Space is way more colorful and enjoyable to watch than the ones on Earth.
Making Thanos as essentially the main character of this film is a bold move.
There's no mid-credit scene but there's a post-credit scene so be sure to stay after the credits.
Hopefully Captain Marvel could save this franchise.
Seeing the cast of Captain Marvel online and base on this post-credit scene, the Captain Marvel film is probably an origin story.
Seeing as a Spider-Man sequel and the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 are the first films post phase-three, the 4th Avengers film will probably be like a timeline changing film just like X-Men: Days of Future Past.
Unless there will be a new Spider-Man and a new cast of the Guardians of the Galaxy post phase-three.