Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I think this is kind of an interesting topic, especially nowadays where almost anyone can easily put out a review of their own.

Personally, and I don't mean to sound douchey or anything, I have many times talked about movies that I haven't seen, because I simply don't need to and/or am well-informed to a certain extent.

Of course, I'm not gonna start talking about a movie about which I know literally nothing about, that's never the case, but for example, there's this infamous movie called A Serbian Film. I remember reading the "advisory" part on IMDb that details every messed up thing that happens in the film, and I can safely say that the whole movie is pointless and is only trying to be edgy to cause shock value. I don't need to see it to know that, it's just a fact.

I also never went to see a Marvel/DC film in theaters, but I read/listen to what reviewers have to say, and I generally agree with them even though, again, I haven't seen the film. Like, it doesn't really surprise me when I see reviewers pointing out "yeah the film is fine and all, but it's just another generic, same-formula film by Disney", and that's just a fact. It's a truth that's not going to change whether I see the film or not.

I don't consider myself to be a snob or a know-it-all... not at all... In fact, I always make sure to point out that I HAVEN'T seen a particular film, but I will say that based on X and Y (which happens to be, most of the time and as mentioned above, things that are always ultimately true and not really up for debate) I have absolutely no interest in seeing it.

With that said, I never let others decide for me whether I should or not watch a certain film. In the end I always make my own choice, but other times I might get informed on a particular thing that, for me, would make the film an absolute waste of time.

Like, let's say that there's this amazing film that you've been meaning to watch... and you find out some time before that, in the end, "it was all a dream" or something, or "the main character is the one who's crazy", that kind of cliché that's not even news anymore... Personally I wouldn't have any interest in watching it. Of course, it depends, but yeah.

ANYWAYS
​
One of the last films I've seen is Asura: The City of Madness. I've wanted to see this film since I saw this epic trailer back in 2016!

It was epic and I really enjoyed.

Another one that I'm REALLY looking forward to see is Along With the Gods: The Two Worlds. It's based on a webtoon! It looks great:

I don't know whether I should see the movie soon or not, because the 2nd film will be out during the summer, so I'm wondering if I should just wait for the second so I can see this epic journey back to back!
 

kkck

Waifu Slayer
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Sep 3, 2007
Messages
46,292
Reaction score
24,926
Gender
Hidden
Country
Fire Nation
Ok, saw black panther a while back. For me the movie didn't quite live up to the hype. Don't get me wrong, it was well above the average marvel movie but I read the reviews and was kinda expecting this genre defining life changing oscar worthy movie. Was it a great movie? Of course it was. Did it redefine marvel movies as a whole? Not particularly. The best part about the movie was without a doubt killmonger. So many jabs at so much stuff (a certain country's foreign policy, overreaches of power....). One thing that did kinda take me out of the movie was that wakanda is an absolute monarchy. I had to laugh at the idea that this super advanced society that consistently mocked the outside world as primitive would chose it's kings via the laughable barbaric method of deathmatches that are plausibly decided when one of the contenders throws the other one from a waterfall. And if not that, the barely less barbaric alternatives of choking the other guy to death or a good old fashion stab through whichever weapons are available. I could understand if it was a a monarchy where the king was barely a figurehead or something of the sort. I also didn't like the glowing BP costumes, I much preferred how they were in civil war.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Black Panther already heading towards $1Billion dollars worldwide and trailing behind both "Rouge One" and "The Dark Knight" for domestic openings in the U.S.

I've seen the movie 3 times now and it does resonate with me on a personal level that many others may not, especially Killmonger's character and what motivated him to such methods, in order to seek out his goals in the world for the oppressed people. I hear some of the critics nitpicking about silly sh*t that we've already seen in other films like this, but for some reason it matters more because it's a film that wasn't suppose to be this successful at all and it was period.

Even Feige admitted they didn't expect Black Panther to do this well, but the same can be said for "Deadpool" which came out with an unexpected opening for an R rated comic book film. Plus, Deadpool like Black Panther aren't your A-List comic book characters like Spiderman or Batman. Really glad to see movies like this bring some change to the game. :hi
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Finally saw The Void earlier today.



It's not exactly something to write home about, but if you like The Thing and similar films then I think this is worth a watch for the practical effects alone.

It was quite entertaining for what it is, even though it got somewhat meh and predictable for me towards the 3rd and final act. Nonetheless, the execution was spot on as well as the effects and everything, all the more so when you consider that the film was quite cheap to make.
 

Elusia

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
1,766
Reaction score
11,568
Country
Philippines
Hurray for Shawarma \o/

But on a serious note, I do hope that the Infinity War will be great. The last Marvel movie, Black Panther, is better than most average Marvel films but is not considered as one of the best for me.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Finally saw The Villainess yesterday.

It was alright I guess. From the trailer and its running time (2h movie) I was expecting a lot more action pieces, but there weren't that many, so I feel like the marketing was a bit shady in that aspect.

Still, it was a fun and entertaining flick. I feel like the story was a bit confusing at the start due to how it kept mixing flashbacks/present time and stuff, but eventually I understood the whole thing.



The camera work was particularly good and interesting during said action sequences, too.
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,245
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell

Josh Brolin playing Thanos in MCU and Cable in Deadpool. Is he the new Ian McKellen (Gandalf, Magneto)?
 

Jammin

Androssi Worshiper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Mar 16, 2006
Messages
16,853
Reaction score
23,523
Age
43
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Looks awesome.

Don't love what I see with the approach to Domino but the rest of it looks like a blast. And I'm pretty optimistic that will work out too. The return of the Megasonic Teenage Warhead is huge. What great usage of a X-Men Z-list character. I hope they work in more like that..
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Anyone else gonna attempt the Ultimate Marvel Movie marathon before "Infinity War" next month...?. :hi

Phase 1: Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor, Capt. America & The Avengers
Phase 2: Iron Man 3, Thor: The Dark World, Capt. America: Winter Soldier, Guardians Vol. 1, Age of Ultron & Ant Man
Phase 3: Capt. America: Civil War, Doctor Strange, Guardians Vol. 2, Spidey Homecoming, Thor Raganarok & Black Panther.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Yesterday I saw in theaters (for the second time, this time with friends) The Captain (or Der Hauptmann), which was one my favorite movies from last year.

It's a b/w WWII film. Two weeks before the end of the war, a young German soldier and deserter is running for his life. He ends up finding a Captain's coat, and immediately assumes his powerful identity, pretending to be someone who has powers above all others.

I don't wanna say too much, and I would advise against seeing any trailers and just going in blind, but if you want to see something beforehand then watch this trailer, because all the others are pretty much filled with spoilers.

The crazy part is that this is based on an actual true story. This 20-year old kid pretended to be a Captain and succeeded so many times in what he was doing, it's crazy!

Anyway, the cinematography is also excellent, as was the soundtrack.

It's a German film, but I highly recommend it. If you can, I think you should give it a watch. It's definitely not a "war" movie in the sense that there's battle scenes and shootouts and whatnot, but it's extremely tough to watch at times.

My only gripe with the film is that there are one or two instances where you can clearly tell that the CGI effects are there, and they're KINDA bad... But this only happens like twice in the film so it's fine.

I also loved the main character's performance, he was an absolute delight to watch from start to finish.

Fun fact: you probably wouldn't have guessed it in a million years (neither would I) but the Director is the same guy who made Red (with Bruce Willis), R.I.P.D., Insurgent, Allegiant, etc.!

Just goes to show what a person can do, and that they shouldn't be tied down to their most commercial (and failed) films.
 
Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Watch Ready Player One if you like Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars.
Have you read the book? I didn't like it, but hopefully it's one of those rare cases where I like the film more than the book. From the trailers I feel it could go either way, really. Will probably not have time to watch it in theater anyway.

I also made the Summer Wars connection while I was reading the book. Similar concepts but tackled in somewhat different ways.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I've seen 4 films this month (so far):

- Charisma, by Kiyoshi Kurosawa:


I'd wanted to see this film for years, and finally managed to get a copy of it. It's a 1999 film and somewhat slow, definitely not for everybody, but I really liked it.

If you're familiar with Kiyoshi's works, you might want to try and give it a shot some day. But if you do, be sure to watch Cure before Charisma, it's somewhat important that you do.

Also the movie stars Koji Yakusho who's one of my favorite Japanese actors. He's really great, and he's also the main protagonist of Cure, so yeah. Those two films would make for a nice double-bill night, but again they're not for everyone.

- Like Me was the one I saw afterwards. Just watch this teaser:

This is another one that I've wanted to watch since I first saw the teaser a year ago.

From the looks of it, you can clearly tell that it's one of those films that can either be really good and interesting, or a complete waste of time.

Me, I wanted to watch it because it looked visually interesting. I wanted to give it a shot, then again the movie was just 80mins long so yeah.

It was pretty much a forgettable film, even though it DID have its moments. I'm still happy I got to see it, but yeah there just wasn't much substance to it, but it was interesting to see it unravel.

- Manifesto was next, which I saw two days ago:


It's a film where Cate Blanchett plays a series of characters, each one monologuing their own manifesto.

That's pretty much the film. Some bits were interesting, while others would've benefited from a slightly longer exposition.

The film felt like it was over pretty quickly because of the whole back-and-forth between characters, so yeah. Different kind of film experience, but it wasn't hard to sit through in any way.

- and then there's Ready Player One, which I finally got to see yesterday.


Once again, I got pretty much what I was expecting.

I think I enjoyed the first part of the film a lot more than the second half, but the film felt very rushed and had a lot of problems.

Character development was pretty much non-existent, the whole "rebellion" part was shoved in extremely hard and out of nowhere, and the ending was kinda... I dunno, I expected something else.

I don't usually watch this type of blockbusters, but yeah. Going into it I already knew that this was - somewhat - a kid's film and that there just weren't THAT many routes that the film could take.

So yeah, pretty much what I expected, I think.

This is the kind of story that I wouldn't have minded if they made a trilogy out of it, or even a Netflix series or something.

You would've had more time to develop the characters and whatnot. As for the "references"? They're either blink it and you'll miss it, or they're extremely on the nose when mentioned by the characters and just don't sound genuine at all, so yeah.

The movie had its moments, but overall it's just trying to look cool: there's no depth or development at all to it. Even the romantic angle doesn't make any sense and had no business in being in it, but that's how these films go.

So far I've seen 30 movies this year, which is pretty much the amount of films I would usually see per year (2017 and 2016 I saw less than 40 movies each I think). Trying to change all that and I'm succeeding :P
 

Faust

Artist
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Sep 4, 2010
Messages
5,121
Reaction score
20,245
Gender
Male
Country
Winterfell
Have you read the book? I didn't like it, but hopefully it's one of those rare cases where I like the film more than the book. From the trailers I feel it could go either way, really. Will probably not have time to watch it in theater anyway.

I also made the Summer Wars connection while I was reading the book. Similar concepts but tackled in somewhat different ways.
I haven't read the book. The author of the book is one of the writers of the screenplay though.

So far I've seen 30 movies this year, which is pretty much the amount of films I would usually see per year (2017 and 2016 I saw less than 40 movies each I think). Trying to change all that and I'm succeeding :P
Keep up the good work @Eigengrau and watch more films!

I've seen 33 films this year so far (only one at the cinema so far with RPO, Avengers: Infinity War would be the 2nd)

My best record was in 2014 when I watched 146 films.

2015: 77 films, this is the year I started following LoL and Dota 2 esports
2016: 52 films in since this is the year the wifi at home got cut-off. RIP
2017: 27 films in 2017, most unproductive since I started keeping track of the films I watch (4 at the cinema, 1 TV movie that I rewatched)

Thinking of using IMDB list to keep track of my watch/to-watch list instead of saving movie posters on my folder. Or maybe both lol.
 
Last edited:

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Keep up the good work @Eigengrau and watch more films!

I've seen 33 films this year so far (only one at the cinema so far with RPO, Avengers: Infinity War would be the 2nd)
I'm trying to see more films as well as going more often to the actual movie theater (though sometimes other patrons can make the whole thing quite sucky) because I started becoming a little ashamed of myself for not seeing THAT many films over the past few years, considering I graduated from a filmmaking course and whatnot!

Then again I'm somewhat picky with the films I decide to watch, and I when I do I always know 9 times out of 10 that I will enjoy it.

Me, I've been 11 times to the movie theater, but only 8 of those times were films I hadn't seen before.

Thinking of using IMDB list to keep track of my watch/to-watch list instead of saving movie posters on my folder. Or maybe both lol.
Yeah do that! My "films I've seen" has 1221 films, while my Watchlist has 757 (cleaned it up a bit recently).

After you have those lists done, you could always created a Letterboxd account.
I still haven't made an account on there, but you can import your IMDb lists so that's cool.
That website has some features (pro only though, I think?) where it gives you plenty of statistics based on all the movies you've seen, how many films you've seen during this year, the total amount of hours, etc.
 
Top