Thor Ragnarok was pretty good, nearly there with GoTG2. You can't fail an opening with that kind of smash em up action with a Led Zeppelin track whacked over it. Was surprised the movie was this funny tbh especially the Kiwi rock guy. I haven't seen Avengers 2 so I perhaps missed some context with how the Hulk ended up on the trash planet... but that knowledge is not important. (wish Strange got more of a role actually).
Hela was a good villain. Wasn't particular hooked into her story or goals, but her character was given as much breath as possible by Cate Blanchett. Is she really 48? lol.
Pretty disappointed I missed out seeing Blade Runner at the cinemas though...
That Kiwi rock guy is played by the director, Taiki Waiti. The movie definitely owes a lot to him, he’s a fantastic director of comedy (and action, as it turns out). If you haven’t seen them, watch Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do in the Shadows, his most recent previous two films. Much less blockbuster, more indie, but they’re both fantastic films.
I thought it could be Taika Waititi since he starred in the other movie I seen of his, Boy, which was one of the better NZ films I've seen. Have to check those other 2 at some stage.
Watched a sci-fimovie on Netflix today, Snowpiercer (2013). It was outstanding.
Remember the film Funny People by Judd Apatow, starring Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen and a whole bunch of other A-list comedians? (Actually it’s likely you don’t remember or know the film, but let’s say you do.) Remember how it was marketed as a hilarious comedy about the life of stand-up comedians, leading people to think it would be a total laugh-fest a la Judd Apatows recent films at the time, and thus thought it was terrible since it was actually more of a drama delicately balancing on the line of comedy with some really funny lines here and there?
Well, I’m sure you get where I’m going with this. The Big Sick isn’t written or directed by Judd Apatow (only produced by him) but I feel it might suffer greatly from the same sort of poor reception based on people’s misconception going into it, having the wrong expectations. There’s a lot more drama there than pure comedy.
This film wasn’t incredibly original, but it’s still refreshing to see a film once in a while which juggles compelling, heart-cutting drama with funny lines and situations. The acting performances are good for a film like this. Nothing I think will get any nods in the awards (except possibly Holly Hunter who put in a very good, subtle, understated portrayal) but they felt natural and believable, and the script mostly carried the film anyway.
Good film. 7/10
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Oh, and I saw Cars 3 last week with my godson. I thought Cars was okay (still one of Pixar's weakest) but Cars 2 pretty terrible ... the third installment is more like the first both in terms of story and quality. Still nothing more than a big cliché to sell toys, but I'll take a clichéd concept that kinda works over a clichéd concept that's downright stupid (Cars 2) any day.
Four of my most hyped films right now are The Shape of Water, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri, The Disaster Artist and Lady Bird, and this only added to that.
The Disaster Artist has good word of mouth, so I'm looking forward to that. Three Billboards will be a must-see given it's McDonagh (comes out on NY day here). Speaking of hype directors, well a great one, PTA's new movie Phantom Thread is the film I'm most anticipating right now.
As long as they make quality movies, not just rely on “cross-overs = success” (which I’ve felt lately could well happen.. though the films are still mostly really good) that could be cool news.
Jeebus friggin crikes though, will Disney monopolize the film industry one of these days?
Considering what I’ve heard about the way Disney has already abused their increasing influence and power, it kind of makes me uneasy m. But in the other hand, I haven’t actually fact-checked those things, so I guess shows how much I care in the end..
Now that this is official, I expect a proper reboot of both X-Men and Fantastic Four as well as Silver Surfer and Galactus. They should bring in Onslaught for Phase 4 as the main core villain like Thanos, that would be amazing.
Saw Star Wars: The Last Jedi yesterday! I'm not going to spoil it for anyone, I'll just say that it was awesome and leave it at that. I'm sure most of you will be going to it. Have fun!
Honestly, this movie was a second half part to what was transpired in "The Force Awakens" and it's almost like Episodes VII and VIII are connected to be one story focused mainly on Rey and her connections to the Force. Also, feel that Kylo Ren (Ben Solo) is more or less her test to what she will do, once she embraces and understands her potential using the Force.
Overall, the story is simply a conclusion and I thought it was mapped out well and many other people may disagree with this, but I feel that Episode VIII is closing off a introduction to a possibly larger story that may be set up in another trilogy. And Episode IX may be a stage setting for that, plus I imagine the conflict between Rey and Kylo Ren will be resolved completely.
In addition to Luke Skywalker and Leia Organa, these two definitely showcase a growth in what they once were in the past original trilogy, they've simply faced a reality and this is how they deal with it. Kylo Ren is a middle factor to them both and how they deal with their own personal paths in this battle with the First Order. And the cameos from certain characters were nicely added, but unexpected.
I will say this too, I'm thinking with the way this new movie ends, there will be a time skip in between this and Episode IX, maybe a several years because I think, the set up now is a whole new chapter for these new characters and where they may go in a whole new trilogy. It's definitely telling me that what started with the originals will continue forward with future films focusing on the force, the jedi, the sith and many other new factors to make Star Wars great with each film being released.
The movie was a blast. Not saying it didn't have problems but I really enjoyed it.
Didn't expect them to go with a central theme of failure but I thought it was really well handled for the most part. There were a couple plot threads that probably should have ended up on the cutting room floor. But even they were fun, despite not being the best written things in the world.
Well, Loving Vincent was crazy beautiful visually, as expected. I'd even say it's toovisually stunning, sometimes distracting from the actual story which was already not told in an ideal way, but mostly through a bit uninspired exposition. The story of the life and death of Vincent Van Gogh is imo truly interesting, which this film mostly manages to portray, but there were times when the story-telling lost its grip on me and I got totally lost in the oil painting animation.
Visually, it's absolutely one-of-a-kind, and I recommend any fan of animation to see it for that alone. The story isn't exactly bad either, but it's not quite captivating enough to "match" the visuals. Still, overall I'll give it a 7,5, because every frame of it is just gorgeous.
Okja - 8/10. It's hard to sum this one, there's a few genres blended here. A satire of capitalism/agribusiness mixed in with a friendship of girl and animal (to make the issue of the satire more cold) and it worked. Beautiful to look at, especially when they're in Korea. It was a great ride with unpredictability and fun action. From the same director of Snowpiercer, which is why I watched it, and it was nearly as good. I'm gonna check out other movies from Bong Joon-ho.
Sicario - 9/10. That movie was tense. Especially that bridge sequence. The story has that standard CIA doing things that you're not meant to do.. yadayadayada... but the writing was great here, we just found out little bits like Kate does, so that we can focus on how she reacts to it. There seemed to be so many scenes that give you a look at the drug war at different angles that you can't pick the bigger evil, which is the point of it. Del Toro is a great actor so it was good to see him in this type of role. A sequel coming out next year too, Soldado.
Deadpool - 6/10. I thought this would be a lot better since it's regarded as a very funny movie. I didn't find it bad, just that for every funny joke or retort we got from Wade, he'd make another comment within a few seconds that would miss the mark and it came across as spam.
Live by Night - n/a. Was fairly hyped to watch this but I ended up ejecting after 20mins or so. It wasn't that bad. but it felt phoned in. The 2 main gang bosses had no presence in their opening scenes, the love interest wasn't too good either, and Affleck used voice over a bit too much so it felt lazy.
Not great. Not horrible either though just not what I feel like it could have been. It seems like it's caught between trying to be an allegory about racism and an contemporary fantasy story. It's first act goes all in on allegory but then about halfway through the second act and all of the third it just completely shifts away from that toward a urban fantasy cop story.
That urban fantasy side though was pretty good. I just wish it got there sooner and built into that aspect a lot more. Because the allegory was a bit ham fisted.
Overall, I'd say it's a 7/10. Flawed but enjoyable.
Not great. Not horrible either though just not what I feel like it could have been. It seems like it's caught between trying to be an allegory about racism and an contemporary fantasy story. It's first act goes all in on allegory but then about halfway through the second act and all of the third it just completely shifts away from that toward a urban fantasy cop story.
That urban fantasy side though was pretty good. I just which it got there sooner and built into that aspect a lot more. Because the allegory was a bit ham fisted.
Overall, I'd say it's a 7/10. Flawed but enjoyable.
To piggyback on Netflix original movies, I just watched "1922", a movie based on a short story by Stephen King starring Thomas Jane and it was pretty good. A very simple story and Jane really carries the film well. I believe this is Jane's third Stephen King film after both "Dreamcatcher" and "The Mist". I hope, Jane appears in the new "Castle Rock" tv series coming in 2018.
I'm surprised they haven't approached a cinematic universe for Stephen King's books by now, that would be the greatest sh*t ever, if done right.
To piggyback on Netflix original movies, I just watched "1922", a movie based on a short story by Stephen King starring Thomas Jane and it was pretty good. A very simple story and Jane really carries the film well. I believe this is Jane's third Stephen King film after both "Dreamcatcher" and "The Mist". I hope, Jane appears in the new "Castle Rock" tv series coming in 2018.
I'm surprised they haven't approached a cinematic universe for Stephen King's books by now, that would be the greatest sh*t ever, if done right.
I bet the Steven King stuff is a film rights fiasco. I'm certainly interested in what Netflix can do with it's film push though. It seems like it would be a great landing spot for a lot of mid-budget projects that aren't really suited to full theatrical release anyway. Horror and pulpy movies are right in that strike zone.
Also in what Disney/Fox will do now that they're merging. You have to imagine they will launch a streaming service with their catalogues