- Joined
- Oct 27, 2014
- Messages
- 2,458
- Reaction score
- 714
- Gender
- Male
- Country
-
I think this might be outside of my genre. Guys running around with swords fighting things doesn't hold alot of appeal to me. I'm more interested in why people fight, their goals short term and long term. And for the life of me, nothing is more tacky than a motorcycle.
...Of course, I might be a bit of a hypocrite. I did read Claymore for like 8 years and that's basically a bunch of sword wielding women running around fighting monsters in a dark medieval setting where happy endings basically never happened, and people tended to die horribly. I guess more than anything I was taking in by how tragic things tended to be. It was very edgy, but I've matured a bit since then I suppose.
Still some nice monster designs.
So what have we got here? The Oni exploit towns and cities for labor. They have a priesthood of sorts that have rewritten history in a rather comically dubious way. What we've seen so far is that they're cruel brutes, but lack any real menace or intelligence. And a minor uprising at one quarry caused the local boss to call a retreat, personally coming down from the sky to give the order. Ohtaka chose to not follow up instead leaving the chapter to end on a light hearted optimistic note, hearkening to the start of a new adventure, rather than a rebellion.
I just don't think she's given the setting much thought...which is weird when the title of the manga is "Orient", a word that not only describes a place but an array of histories and cultures. For me at least, orient is a word that carries a certain romance to it. Romance that was completely lacking from what I read.
I guess the protagonists are likable enough, but they're completely self-taught and motivated. They'd never even seen oni and not only prepared themselves to fight them, but are extremely gung-ho and happy about it all because of some story book. That's some really weak characterization right there. No parents, no role model, no teacher. They aren't curious about the world or people. Literally all they want to do is beat up monsters as an end in of itself.
I'm sorry, this is the sort of thing Ohtaka during her prime would have scribbled out on a napkin as an after thought.
...Of course, I might be a bit of a hypocrite. I did read Claymore for like 8 years and that's basically a bunch of sword wielding women running around fighting monsters in a dark medieval setting where happy endings basically never happened, and people tended to die horribly. I guess more than anything I was taking in by how tragic things tended to be. It was very edgy, but I've matured a bit since then I suppose.
Still some nice monster designs.
So what have we got here? The Oni exploit towns and cities for labor. They have a priesthood of sorts that have rewritten history in a rather comically dubious way. What we've seen so far is that they're cruel brutes, but lack any real menace or intelligence. And a minor uprising at one quarry caused the local boss to call a retreat, personally coming down from the sky to give the order. Ohtaka chose to not follow up instead leaving the chapter to end on a light hearted optimistic note, hearkening to the start of a new adventure, rather than a rebellion.
I just don't think she's given the setting much thought...which is weird when the title of the manga is "Orient", a word that not only describes a place but an array of histories and cultures. For me at least, orient is a word that carries a certain romance to it. Romance that was completely lacking from what I read.
I guess the protagonists are likable enough, but they're completely self-taught and motivated. They'd never even seen oni and not only prepared themselves to fight them, but are extremely gung-ho and happy about it all because of some story book. That's some really weak characterization right there. No parents, no role model, no teacher. They aren't curious about the world or people. Literally all they want to do is beat up monsters as an end in of itself.
I'm sorry, this is the sort of thing Ohtaka during her prime would have scribbled out on a napkin as an after thought.

