Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,563
Reaction score
11,299
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
If you don't like a joke or a post can't you just ignore it rather than hijack the direction of the thread every day?
And if you do not agree on a post maybe you could try to talk instead of offending no?

Or rather, to dialogue instead of inventing things that a user has never said.

The thread is made to discuss Jump, and I think we are discussing Jump material.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
If anyone thinks that BC is even close to the success of Toriko or Reborn, then I'd advise them to go and study the sales peak of those two, the pattern of growth they experienced and franchise that was built around those two series.
Toriko and Reborn = 8 years.

BC = 3 years.

A bit difficult to make comparisons, no?

It was discussed that both for their standards and their times, are in the average band of Jump .......
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
Utsumi and Moue were pretty cool, I think the later can have a hit with any genre , he only need a set-up who attract people and a good editor.
I think Osuka needs a writter , maybe tsukuda?(I know is not very liked , but maybe writing knowning what you write will help him unlike with football or cooking).
I think Osuka has definite potential as a very good writer, just that he needs to refine his skills. Kind of like Kimura.
I was so utterly charmed by Golem Hearts despite the flaws.

And if you do not agree on a post maybe you could try to talk instead of offending no?

Or rather, to dialogue instead of inventing things that a user has never said.

The thread is made to discuss Jump, and I think we are discussing Jump material.
I'm not defending how rude people are to you but we aren't the ones who literally hijack the thread for pages every time someone makes a simple joke or criticism of a series we like.

(Also it doesn't matter or not if you find something funny. This is a community and you aren't the only one here)

I love Noah's Notes and was a huge fan of Golem Hearts. Also really liked u19. All of these get made fun of for various reasons but who cares? If you were comfortable with your tastes this wouldn't be an issue. Don't take this so seriously. We're talking about comic books made for kids that we read to pass time.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,563
Reaction score
11,299
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
And I'm gonna say this again because apparently people cannot understand. The news about digital sales overtaking physical sales was generalised over the entire industry. We do not know which demographic contributes to this, which series sells how much, is the digital sales pattern for every volume of a series consistent or would it fluctuate a lot because the market is just developing etc.
We have no evidence, it is true, but that does not mean that the decline is evident .....
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
I doubt Ikezawa is coming back after Noah gets axed. Three tries seems to be the standard.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
I doubt Ikezawa is coming back after Noah gets axed. Three tries seems to be the standard.
Hopefully Weekly Shonen Magazine can get him.
They've been building up a really neat lineup of mangaka from other magazines the last few years. They just announced Nakayama (Uratarou) is starting a new series there too.
 

anime64

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Jun 28, 2018
Messages
150
Reaction score
105
Age
37
Country
Saudi Arabia
by series sales it will almost definitely be in the top 3 this year ~250k average for 20 volumes, 5 million copies is a lock in
maybe more
Do you think it will outsell one piece at the end of the year
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I think Osuka has definite potential as a very good writer, just that he needs to refine his skills. Kind of like Kimura.
I was so utterly charmed by Golem Hearts despite the flaws.
He's not a bad writer, but I think is more in U19 or amalgan/condor's authors level. Working with a person like tsukuda , who is writing for 5 years in souma (and more if we count his axed manga) can help him (doesn't matter if the result is good or bad)

Hopefully Weekly Shonen Magazine can get him.
They've been building up a really neat lineup of mangaka from other magazines the last few years. They just announced Nakayama (Uratarou) is starting a new series there too.
I doubt Ikezawa is coming back after Noah gets axed. Three tries seems to be the standard.
hikari no go was obata's 4 or 5 oportunity. It's always depend of how hight is jump about you and/or how much you want to have a hit there.
 

Ninjaz

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 10, 2017
Messages
216
Reaction score
172
Country
Joker
I'd dare to say Weekly Shonen Magazine has a vastly more impressive line-up of authors and series than WSJ right now. So many WSJ series has ended over the last years, and not as many new ones have managed to fill the void.

Meanwhile, WSM got Mashima (FT), Nakaba(7DS), Terajima (DaiyaNoAce), Yoshitoki (Fumetsu/A Silent Voice), Ohkubo (Fire Force/Soul Eater), Morikawa (Ippo), Ohtaka (Magi/Orient). + the rest of the series.
And now the Jagaaaaaan/Grashros writer and the Dolly Kill Kill artist are teaming up for a new series there.
And Nakayama who is one of my favorite mangaka is starting up there too. It's somewhat becoming a veteran magazine.

I'm glad, Weekly Shonen Jump is giving so many "fresh" mangaka a shot in the magazine, and a lot of good seems to be coming out of it. But it sure does take a lot of time to find the perfect series and authors for the magazine. Very few actually succeed. Despite of that, I'm really happy that series like Jujutsu Kaisen, and I guess even Act-Age, have the chance of making it there. That's what I'm here for.
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
has anybody asked how an author and artist combo is divided up with the payment? Like with act age, she gets paid per page but how does the storyteller get paid?
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,563
Reaction score
11,299
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I'm not defending how rude people are to you but we aren't the ones who literally hijack the thread for pages every time someone makes a simple joke or criticism of a series we like.
And when would I do it?

For the rest, calling me one who pretends to be late is offensive in a serious way, and I know because I work with some people who are really retarded.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Do you think it will outsell one piece at the end of the year
It won't be easy, a few things to consider though

1. When will OP vol. 91 release?
i) If it is on November then almost no, since OP will sell around ~9M+ by then including backlogs an all
ii) If it on December or later, high chance it would no be counted for 2018, and only 3 volumes will be counted so around 7M+ sales

2. SD legs. 5M copies is almost a lock for the refurbished edition (avg, 250k) but will the early volume have more (that damn beautiful basketball playing) legs to push them to 6M copies? ( I cant really see 6M but it could be close)

So, it is seemingly impossible

tldr: If we only have 3 OP volumes counted + SD shows incredible legs, we might see the decade long streak broken.

Edit: My math is flawed, forgot about half year sales for OP, upped the number for OP by 1 Million
 
Last edited:

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Arround 2015/2016 happen the same, magazine brought Liar game's author, Gash bell's author, tokyo revengers(with other manga) and other well-known author.Most of these series fails after a year.
 

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,563
Reaction score
11,299
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
It won't be easy, a few things to consider though

1. When will OP vol. 91 release?
i) If it is on November then almost no, since OP will sell around ~8M by then including backlogs an all
ii) If it on December or later, high chance it would no be counted for 2018, and only 3 volumes will be counted so around 6M sales

2. SD legs. 5M copies is almost a lock for the refurbished edition (avg, 250k) but will the early volume have more (that damn beautiful basketball playing) legs to push them to 6M copies? ( I cant really see 6M but it could be close)

tldr: If we only have 3 OP volumes counted + SD shows incredible legs, we might see the decade long streak broken.
And My Hero and Haykyuu ?
 

Koi Kage

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2013
Messages
1,210
Reaction score
311
Gender
Male
Country
United States
has anybody asked how an author and artist combo is divided up with the payment? Like with act age, she gets paid per page but how does the storyteller get paid?
Its likely how Bakuman stated it that they split the money the writer would normally get if they both wrote and drew the manga themselves.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
It won't be easy, a few things to consider though

1. When will OP vol. 91 release?
i) If it is on November then almost no, since OP will sell around ~8M by then including backlogs an all
ii) If it on December or later, high chance it would no be counted for 2018, and only 3 volumes will be counted so around 6M sales

2. SD legs. 5M copies is almost a lock for the refurbished edition (avg, 250k) but will the early volume have more (that damn beautiful basketball playing) legs to push them to 6M copies? ( I cant really see 6M but it could be close)

tldr: If we only have 3 OP volumes counted + SD shows incredible legs, we might see the decade long streak broken.
Well, SD sold DB level when he was serialize, it wouldn't surprise me.

And when would I do it?

For the rest, calling me one who pretends to be late is offensive in a serious way, and I know because I work with some people who are really retarded.
https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-was-only-pretending-to-be-retarded

This will be the last time I will quote you today.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
And when would I do it?

For the rest, calling me one who pretends to be late is offensive in a serious way, and I know because I work with some people who are really retarded.
How about don't?
Also he didn't word that as well as he could have but the phrase "pretending to be retarded" implies that he thinks you are trolling.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Arround 2015/2016 happen the same, magazine brought Liar game's author, Gash bell's author, tokyo revengers(with other manga) and other well-known author.Most of these series fails after a year.
Except when they don't fail.
Nanatsu no Taizai and Fire Force are part of this initiative.
They sure seem to be pushing Orient.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
Except when they don't fail.
Nanatsu no Taizai and Fire Force are part of this initiative.
They sure seem to be pushing Orient.
Nanatsu was way before, it was arround 2012, year that only this and yamada and the seven witches where a hit.
You are right about FF, tho.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
And My Hero and Haykyuu ?
I estimate Both would be around 5M - 6M both half year was 2.5M(HQ showed decrease from 2017 while MHA showed increase from 2017) I would be wrong because I don't want to to check number of volume sold this year
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
5,856
Age
33
Country
United States
So you're implying that I would have done the troll ......

Interesting, and when would I have done it?

I assure you that I have not but intended to do so.
Well often users like Sharkbait, GIA, me, etc. use intense hyperbole or irony in our posts to add personality to our posts and personas here and drive discussion.
I think some users think you do that as well.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top