Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Jujutsu Kaisen and Act Age?
I follow Act Age, but the more the better. Right now I follow 7 out of 18/19 series in Jump, which is less compare to couple years ago.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
I follow Act Age, but the more the better. Right now I follow 7 out of 18/19 series in Jump, which is less compare to couple years ago.
Yup, the more, the better. The last two rounds were quite underwhelming for me. Finding another promising series would be great for the health of the magazine. We're waiting :emocat
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I don't even know the names of any the series since act age and jujutsu, the premises were just so dull and unmoving. Hope for some more interesting stuff soon
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I'm telling you, we need Build King :)...or maybe just me
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Yeah I pretty much already forgot about the 3 new manga. The shogi one is the most forgetful one for me somehow even though I read the first few chapters of it.
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
What we need is my man Yusaku Shibata to come back! Make Zippo happen!

Would also like to have Prince Poro's author back so he serializes Genjui Toteku
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Nah Galaxy Gangs had multiple members bringing it up. BABYMETAL is the only person mentioning Build King lol
 

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
In case someone cares, Alice & Taiyou's 4th chapter has been scanlated
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Something we can discuss since no TOC this week
Will a manga about ninja or monster hunter be success nowadays if they serialize right now? or will they be overshadow by its predecessor? For on going manga, will a manga about pirate or superheroes or something similar make it to the magazine? Or Do the editors stop them completely? We see plenty of exorcist manga in Jump, why not the other setting?

My next question would be what type of setting/class do you want/wish to be in Jump? I think Steampunk + Cowboy would make some really cool setting/story line.
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
Something we can discuss since no TOC this week
Will a manga about ninja or monster hunter be success nowadays if they serialize right now? or will they be overshadow by its predecessor? For on going manga, will a manga about pirate or superheroes or something similar make it to the magazine? Or Do the editors stop them completely? We see plenty of exorcist manga in Jump, why not the other setting?

My next question would be what type of setting/class do you want/wish to be in Jump? I think Steampunk + Cowboy would make some really cool setting/story line.
I just want anything other than Demon hunters and/or exorcist at this point.

Give me an action manga about Milkmen or Fastfood workers for all I care. I’m just tired of Demons
 

iceemperor

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 19, 2014
Messages
1,735
Reaction score
2,734
Gender
Male
Country
Casterly Rock
Hot was painfully generic. The MC was barely characterized, the execution of his character was so by the book that I barely felt any heat (:cheez). The side characters were simply okay at best. Its really disappointing for a series to be called Hot and not be heated. The art was also quite messy in places so I had quite some trouble making out the action. I expected something since this is a sports series and its from a veteran. It seems to be the thing now to make sports series that have mediocre execution. They're a mainstay of Jump and when done properly, are even more heated than battle manga.

Momiji basically has some support on Twitter but its basically air everywhere else. I had to look up its name to type it out here.
Something we can discuss since no TOC this week
Will a manga about ninja or monster hunter be success nowadays if they serialize right now? or will they be overshadow by its predecessor? For on going manga, will a manga about pirate or superheroes or something similar make it to the magazine? Or Do the editors stop them completely? We see plenty of exorcist manga in Jump, why not the other setting?

My next question would be what type of setting/class do you want/wish to be in Jump? I think Steampunk + Cowboy would make some really cool setting/story line.
I don't see why future series cannot have pirates or superheroes or ninjas. What's important are the characters an execution of plot. There actually was another hero manga, though it was an ecchi manga. I guess people simply don't feel confident enough to do another pirate or ninja series as they'll immediately be compared to OP and Naruto and that will become a sort of bar or hurdle to clear. The phrase "OP/Naruto did it like this...." will be a constant thing. This is again a problem with the editors. I won't say that all are bad as Yoritomi, the current Heroaca editor, as helped completely turn around Heroaca from what it was last year but then you get editors that put out stuff like Tanaka Seiji which is just messy to read for me. Readability should be a top priority yet I simply looked at some pages and I felt annoyed at reading it. The editors should help with this and it doesn't seem like they are.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
I really want another gag comedy series. Something where the jokes never stop rolling out and we don't get those serious battle arcs that so many gag series seem to end up getting
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States
I really want another gag comedy series. Something where the jokes never stop rolling out and we don't get those serious battle arcs that so many gag series seem to end up getting
I guess everyone is different, but it's tough to watch this stuff for a long period of time. I think that's the appeal of battle shonen, just having a continuous story to follow with, connect the dots, all that good stuff.

I like comedy, romance is cool too but having a linear plot that expands will always be attractive to me
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Youtuber manga have already sort-of happened in other places with Deadtube and the B-Cube thing in Eden's Zero, and in a related sense Weekly Shounen Hachi having a big arc about getting the most twitter likes. I think we probably will see some kind of youtuber manga in WSJ eventually (with a twist of course).

We already had a twitter manga with Cross Account after all, making videos isn't a big stretch.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top