Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Where did Act-Age catch on? Every volume sold less than 20k copies and 2 of 3 volumes didn't even chart. Most trash isekai manga sell more than it.

│**圏外 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**5)┃2018/05|アクタージュ act-age 1 ※初動16,248以下
│*15540 (5)│------│------│------│------┃*,*15,540 (**5)┃2018/07|アクタージュ act-age 2
│**圏外 (3)│------│------│------│------┃*,**,圏外 (**3)┃2018/08|アクタージュ act-age 3 ※初動17,141以下
excuse you, Isekai manga is not trash, thank you very much ! hmpf.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
If the checklist thing is true, then why isn't every new manga in Jump successful if it's as simple as "going through a checklist" of what's popular.
What checklists did Noah's Notes, Full Drive, Golem Hearts, Invade You!, Momiji no Kisetsu go through then? They just seem to be manga that didn't appeal to modern audiences whereas Jujutsu got comparisons to Bleach, Kekkashi and other popular manga because it is in itself a manga that has elements of things that are popular with modern audiences.. There's nothing in Kimetsu that screams mainstream appeal because its not trying as hard as Jujutsu does and gained an audience by being unique in itself.

I think it's rather unfair to say that the manga didn't become popular on its own basis, whatever that means.
How is it unfair? Its the truth. Nothing wrong with that at all since most manga that become popular in Jump do so by borrowing from other popular manga and have been doing so for years. Not sure why you took offense of that since most of Jump's most popular titles get compared with one another constantly.

The book rank.net estimates made me look at it in a better way.
Book Rank is absolute garbage and has falsified data. It shouldn't be used as a measurement for anything.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
What checklists did Noah's Notes, Full Drive, Golem Hearts, Invade You!, Momiji no Kisetsu go through then? They just seem to be manga that didn't appeal to modern audiences whereas Jujutsu got comparisons to Bleach, Kekkashi and other popular manga because it is in itself a manga that has elements of things that are popular with modern audiences.. There's nothing in Kimetsu that screams mainstream appeal because its not trying as hard as Jujutsu does and gained an audience by being unique in itself.


How is it unfair? Its the truth. Nothing wrong with that at all since most manga that become popular in Jump do so by borrowing from other popular manga and have been doing so for years. Not sure why you took offense of that since most of Jump's most popular titles get compared with one another constantly.


Book Rank is absolute garbage and has falsified data. It shouldn't be used as a measurement for anything.
What I was asking is this. If your manga can simply become popular by going through a checklist, then why doesn't every manga in Jump do that?

To me it felt like you were just saying that the manga just went through a checklist of things and that there's nothing more to it. Jujutsu does have popular elements, but it does a lot to distinguish itself in multiple ways. The manga definitely has its own unique voice and that's why it managed to appeal to so many people and why it exploded in popularity.

Do you have any evidence to backup your claims about book rank? Why should I believe you?
 
Last edited:

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
What I was asking is this. If your manga can simply become popular by going through a checklist, then why doesn't every manga in Jump do that?
But...most manga in Jump does do that it doesn't mean they'll find success.

To me it felt like you were just saying that the manga just went through a checklist of things and that there's nothing more to it. Jujutsu does have popular elements, but it does a lot to distinguish itself in multiple ways. The manga definitely has its own unique voice and that's why it managed to appeal to so many people and why it exploded in popularity.
See? You're just spouting hyperboles. You don't know the reason why people dug the manga to begin with. Just because you like something doesn't mean that other people like it for the same reasons you listed. Jujutsu follows the checklist of every modern popular shounen manga, Kimetsu doesn't.

Do you have any evidence to backup your claims about book rank? Why should I believe you?
I looked at sales for other series and their way off, the site just guesses how much a series made in a week. Book Rank claimed that one of the Haikyuu volumes that had 730k copies sold by June was listed at 708k copies sold in total as of 8/26.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
But...most manga in Jump does do that it doesn't mean they'll find success.


See? You're just spouting hyperboles. You don't know the reason why people dug the manga to begin with. Just because you like something doesn't mean that other people like it for the same reasons you listed. Jujutsu follows the checklist of every modern popular shounen manga, Kimetsu doesn't.


I looked at sales for other series and their way off, the site just guesses how much a series made in a week. Book Rank claimed that one of the Haikyuu volumes that had 730k copies sold by June was listed at 708k copies sold in total as of 8/26.
That's the thing. There's more to it than just going through a checklist. You won't find popularity just by doing that.

I can't know for sure why other people like it, but I can speculate and assume why from my own point of view and by bringing in some reasons. It's better than just saying that it goes through a checklist of every popular modern shonen manga, which is very vague. Hyperboles, really? :derp

That's not the most conclusive evidence. I use the website for estimations anyway.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That's the thing. There's more to it than just going through a checklist. You won't find popularity just by doing that.

Black Clover.

I can't know for sure why other people like it, but I can speculate and assume why from my own point of view and by bringing in some reasons. It's better than just saying that it goes through a checklist of every popular modern shonen manga, which is very vague. Hyperboles, really? :derp
So you're using your own biased view to say that Jujutsu made it big because its "unique" and not because it follows a checklist of established tropes that other popular shounen manga follow and have been following for years? You really are just mad because I implied it was derivative. :s

That's not the most conclusive evidence. I use the website for estimations anyway.
So a website that blatantly posts false information as proven by comparing numbers to what is OFFICIALLY brought through OFFICIAL sources is not conclusive evidence. Okay.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker

Black Clover.


So you're using your own biased view to say that Jujutsu made it big because its "unique" and not because it follows a checklist of established tropes that other popular shounen manga follow and have been following for years? You really are just mad because I implied it was derivative. :s


So a website that blatantly posts false information as proven by comparing numbers to what is OFFICIALLY brought through OFFICIAL sources is not conclusive evidence. Okay.
I wouldn't say I'm mad. I'm just questioning your use of vague terms. I have listed a few reasons why I thought it appealed to younger people in Japan, why it became popular, but I guess my bias just nullifies everything because you say so, what a shame...
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I wouldn't say I'm mad. I'm just questioning your use of vague terms. I have listed a few reasons why I thought it appealed to younger people in Japan, why it became popular, but I guess my bias just nullifies everything because you say so, what a shame...
You didn't list anything. Hell you kept pushing how my stance was vague while everything you said can be applied to popular shounen in general.

The characters are all very well dressed and look very sleek, cool, mysterious and attractive. I'm sure this managed to catch the attention of the fujoshi crowd, but also the crowd that enjoys good looking fashionable people
The art also has a very modern, stylish and charming feel to it. The facial expressions are excellent and their range and versatility is great. The sense of movement in action scenes is exciting. The way horror is portrayed is actually gruesome and can be very disturbing.
On top of that, in the end Jujutsu is a action packed shonen manga and that makes it appealing to the crowd that loves action shonen manga.

So I guess Kubo did want to make a Bleach sequel! :derp
 

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I also feel that Jujutsu was better planned. Kimetsu was seen by many as dead meat, when Togashi ordered "Buy this manga or the hiatus will take 3 years!". If that had happened before, maybe the series would have had a more optimistic start.
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
You didn't list anything. Hell you kept pushing how my stance was vague while everything you said can be applied to popular shounen in general.







So I guess Kubo did want to make a Bleach sequel! :derp
Yeah, just conveniently leave out parts from my overall reasoning and assesment. Brb, I'm going to Japan to make a top selling manga and all I need is my trusty checklist. Kubo and Kishimoto have to wait in line :derp .
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I also feel that Jujutsu was better planned. Kimetsu was seen by many as dead meat, when Togashi ordered "Buy this manga or the hiatus will take 3 years!". If that had happened before, maybe the series would have had a more optimistic start.
It just had a slower start is all and a less appealing artstyle in comparison. Also manga that takes place in contemporary set pieces tend to click more with readers than those that take place in ancient Japan. Which reminds me after going through High Score Girl why isn't there a Jump manga that's a period piece taking place during the Showa Era or early Heisei Era?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Yeah, just conveniently leave out parts from my overall reasoning and assesment. Brb, I'm going to Japan to make a top selling manga and all I need is my trusty checklist. Kubo and Kishimoto have to wait in line :derp .
Worked for Tabata and Komi :derp
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
It just had a slower start is all and a less appealing artstyle in comparison. Also manga that takes place in contemporary set pieces tend to click more with readers than those that take place in ancient Japan. Which reminds me after going through High Score Girl why isn't there a Jump manga that's a period piece taking place during the Show Era or early Heisei Era?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Worked for Tabata and Komi :derp
Honestly, I think us two together would make a manga that would make the whole world quake. We need to change our careers. Despite everything, we do have very similar tastes so we would form the perfect duo.

WSJ isn't ready for us.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Honestly, I think us two together would make a manga that would make the whole world quake. We need to change our careers. Despite everything, we do have very similar tastes so we would form the perfect duo.

WSJ isn't ready for us.
We should make a manga about two idiot from different countries trying to make a manga in Japan. It'll be called "Baka-man" :teehee
 

cody

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 5, 2017
Messages
1,929
Reaction score
877
Country
Joker
We should make a manga about two idiot from different countries trying to make a manga in Japan. It'll be called "Baka-man" :teehee
Maybe you should delete this. The editor in chief at Jump might try to steal our idea.

Side note: Sorry Mr. Nakam̶u̶r̶a̶, I don't dislike you, but I'm dragging you into our joke anyway.

Edit: Great, I just dragged another person into the joke. I should have said Mr. Nakano, my bad.
 
Last edited:

De La Croissant

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
804
Reaction score
668
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
You guys should make that manga about the kid wanting to become the Youtuber King (I really don't know how Jump still hasn't used the idea, copyright, maybe?)
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
You guys should make that manga about the kid wanting to become the Youtuber King (I really don't know how Jump still hasn't used the idea, copyright, maybe?)
There once was a man named Pew D.ie Pie, who was King of the YouTubers. He had fame, power, and wealth beyond your wildest dreams. Before he lost his account and went to Twitch, these were the final words he said over Skype: "My subs are yours for the taking, but you have to find it first. I left everything I own in One Password." Ever since, YouTubers from all over the World set sail across the Interwebs, searching for his Password, the code that would make their dreams come true.

Hello Nakano! Yes I'll take my paycheck now! :derp
 

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
If they did go with that idea, they don't have to use the YouTube name. They could just make up a similar sounding name like in Eden's Zero (they use B-Cube).
 

Doughboy

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 1, 2016
Messages
4,482
Reaction score
8,341
Country
United States

is this some famous animator? he/she is getting love on twitter
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top