Mag Talk - Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021) | Page 124 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Weekly Young Jump (2007 - 2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mammo

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Bit of a random question, but is there any romance in Golden Kamuy? I've only briefly looked into it since I've seen so many people on here talking it up. I'm not too into action/adventure/battle stuff on its own, but if it has a good comedy or romance element to it, I can usually enjoy it
regarding comedy, GK does comedy better than most gag manga
regarding serious romance, it's usually used on minor characters and side stories, it's almost never the main focus

there are lot of man-crushes and bromances tho....and I mean a lot
some of the panels out of context look like something out of yaoi manga

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
Bit of a random question, but is there any romance in Golden Kamuy? I've only briefly looked into it since I've seen so many people on here talking it up. I'm not too into action/adventure/battle stuff on its own, but if it has a good comedy or romance element to it, I can usually enjoy it
While we're on the subject --is Kagura-sama just romance? Like a lot of people have said it's a great read, but I have absolutely no interest in romantic shenanigans or developments. Can it be read as a pure comedy while ignoring those elements? I've seen a few out of context panels and it looks hilarious, but I don't like starting something knowing I'll probably drop it.

OtterBrigade

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Canada
While we're on the subject --is Kagura-sama just romance? Like a lot of people have said it's a great read, but I have absolutely no interest in romantic shenanigans or developments. Can it be read as a pure comedy while ignoring those elements? I've seen a few out of context panels and it looks hilarious, but I don't like starting something knowing I'll probably drop it.
I've only read what Viz has put out (first 4 volumes) but I'd say kinda. There are a lot of chapters/gags that don't have anything to do with romance but at the same time the romance is quite central to the story.

Scruffy8642

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Absolutely. The romance is really just there to create more memes. I also generally dislike half-assed romances that are just antics, but Kaguya is definitely on the more enjoyable end of the spectrum personally. The series really doesn't change at all either, so I'd say the first two or three chapters are a pretty good judge for whether you'll enjoy the rest of the series.

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Can be read without paying much attention to the romance aspect, if anything that's just more so the setting. At best one would end up thinking some chapters, "Aw that's cute." and move on.

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I've only read what Viz has put out (first 4 volumes) but I'd say kinda. There are a lot of chapters/gags that don't have anything to do with romance but at the same time the romance is quite central to the story.
Can be read without paying much attention to the romance aspect, if anything that's just more so the setting. At best one would end up thinking some chapters, "Aw that's cute." and move on.
Absolutely. The romance is really just there to create more memes. I also generally dislike half-assed romances that are just antics, but Kaguya is definitely on the more enjoyable end of the spectrum personally. The series really doesn't change at all either, so I'd say the first two or three chapters are a pretty good judge for whether you'll enjoy the rest of the series.

Thanks for your responses. Yeah I'll give the first volume a read and see if it's my thing. Some of the out of context panels are great but it being classified as a romance gave me a lot of pause since I find most fictional romances fairly disinteresting and mostly wish fulfillment. If it's about just being funny I can mostly ignore or deal with that aspect though.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for your responses. Yeah I'll give the first volume a read and see if it's my thing. Some of the out of context panels are great but it being classified as a romance gave me a lot of pause since I find most fictional romances fairly disinteresting and mostly wish fulfillment. If it's about just being funny I can mostly ignore or deal with that aspect though.
There's actual character development and plot and stuff, I'd definitely recommend it (although I might be a bit biased here). If you can make it to volume 5, that's when it gets really really good.

Ener

下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
There's actual character development and plot and stuff, I'd definitely recommend it (although I might be a bit biased here). If you can make it to volume 5, that's when it gets really really good.
I discovered this series from you back then, it was a good time and thx.

Tanzo

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sankaku Head (Umaru) is starting a new series in November, to be announced this month.
Young Jump retweeted the tweet so I guess it's being serialized here.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock

Kingdom's Live Action movie premieres on April 19, 2019.

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
There's no Grand Jump thread here so I'd thought I would post it here as Innocent was a YJ title. Hopefully an anime announcement

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There's no Grand Jump thread here so I'd thought I would post it here as Innocent was a YJ title. Hopefully an anime announcement
Would people be interested in a Grand Jump thread? I literally read it every fortnight, so it wouldn’t be much to chuck together, but I don’t think many people keep up to date with anything from it

Ninjaz

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
Joker
Would people be interested in a Grand Jump thread? I literally read it every fortnight, so it wouldn’t be much to chuck together, but I don’t think many people keep up to date with anything from it
I'd be interested in it, but I don't really follow much in it other than Innocent, and I agree on that I don't think all that many keep up to date with it. So I don't know if the general interest is there. Likely it would just fade out with the rest of the inactive magazine threads. Though, if you're up to doing something with it, maybe more people would become interested?

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
I basically only read Furin Shokudou from time to time but I am interested in a Grand Jump thread.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the feedback, people! I’ll mull it over and decide what to do when the next issue is out on Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.