Mag Talk - Grand Jump + Grand Jump Mucha & Mecha - News and Discussion | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk Grand Jump + Grand Jump Mucha & Mecha - News and Discussion

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all! Making a nice fresh thread for the underloved gem in Shueisha's Jump line-up, Grand Jump! (and it's spin-off magazine GJ Premium). Mostly just gonna be me sticking up covers, colour pages, announcements and the like when I can, and discussing anything from it if other people here read it. First though, a little context.

Grand Jump is Shueisha's Jump title aimed at older readers, similar to the 'businessmen' demographic of one of its predecessors, Business Jump (the other predecessor was Super Jump). It comes out on the first and third wednesday of every month, and has a print circulation somewhere above 100,000 copies per issue. It runs a mix of continuations of classic Jump titles (and one Weekly Shonen Magazine series, peculiarly), series by veteran manga creators, and new series from creators better served by the older demographic. The series don't really hit oricon charts or the like often (save for Jump sequels like Captain Tsubasa: Rising Sun, Hell Teacher Nube Neo, and Play Ball 2), but perform decently on digital platforms, and often receive drama adaptations, such as the recent ones for Adultery Restaurant and Impossibility Defense.

GJ Premium is Grand Jump's sister publication, often running series or shorts by creators associated with the Grand Jump brand, as well as the occasional notable serial all its own. It comes out six times a year, every other month, and whilst not a huge publication, still has its moments, such as its huge Jump 50th anniversary issue about a year ago, featuring special stories from Yudetamago, Masanori Morita, Yoichi Takahashi, and that bizarre Yoshihiro Togashi-written two-parter about a card game thing between good and evil.

I'll follow up with some stuff about each series and some notable past series in a hot minute, but for now here's the cover, table of contents, colour pages and more from the latest issue, out... like 75 minutes ago.

GRAND JUMP 22/2018

Cover and opening colour (Sundome!! Milky Way by Kazuki Funatsu) (NSFW!!!)

Innocent Rouge (Centre Colour & digital artbook annoucement)

TOC & Next Issue Preview:

TOC:
Sundome!! Milky Way (Kazuki Funatsu) (Cover and Lead Colour)
Captain Tsubasa: Rising Sun (Yoichi Takahashi)
Radiation House (Tomohiro Yokomaku, Taishi Mori)
Play Ball 2 (Yuuji Moritaka, Jokura Kooji, based on the original by Akio Chiba)
Amai Seikatsu 2nd Season (Hikaru Yuzuki)
Yutori Yakuza (Hayasaka Keigo)
Kōun Ryūsui 〈Jofuku〉(Hiroshi Motomiya)
Strike or Gutter (Yuu Andou)
Olympia Kyklos (Mari Yamazaki) (MONTHLY)
Innocent Rouge (Shin'ichi Sakamato) (Centre Colour and annoucement)
Uramiya Honpo WORST (Showshow Kurihara)
Adultery Restaurant (Masakazu Yamaguchi)
Champagne (Araki Joh, Kenji Nagatomo)
Ou-sama no Shitetaya ~Shitamachi Tailor~ (Ton Okawara)
I Will Do It Properly in the Afterlife (Itsuma-chan)
Kurogane-Kai (Kei Toume) (MONTHLY)
The Naniwa Kinyudo (Aoki Yuji Production)
Hell Teacher Nube Neo (Sho Makura, Takeshi Okano)

Next Issue:
Black Tiger (Osamu Akimoto) (Cover and Lead Colour, resume)
Matataki no Sonja (Hikaru Yuzuki) (Centre Colour, resume)
Impossibility Defense (Shin Miyatsuki, Yuuya Kanzaki) (MONTHLY)
Noise (Tsutsui Tetsuya) (MONTHLY)

Preview for GJ Premium 11/2018:
Lead Colour & Cover: Urayami (Masakazu Yamaguchi)

More to come with quick summaries of current Grand Jump/Gj Premium titles.

Last edited by a moderator:

MangAniMY

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Nice, I think I'm only reading radiation house at the moment (catching up with tsubasa takes a lot of time)

but I know most of these and have read some of the parent stories of the spin-off/sequel series here.

I'll contribute a little by sharing the past covers for Grand Jump & GJ Premium

Tamil

Reaction score
Country
Winterfell
Innocent needs an anime.I guess Kokou no hito is more deserving.

Aside from Innocent Rouge, any manga recommendations from GJ? It could be completed or ongoing. Super Jump titles are fine too since I think the titles from Super Jump merged with GJ when that magazine ended. Bartender was a pretty good anime from what I remember, anyone read the manga/spinoffs?

Since this is GJ thread, we're allowed to talk about Super Jump/Business Jump, right?

Last edited:

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Innocent needs an anime.I guess Kokou no hito is more deserving.

Aside from Innocent Rouge, any manga recommendations from GJ? It could be completed or ongoing. Super Jump titles are fine too since I think the titles from Super Jump merged with GJ when that magazine ended. Bartender was a pretty good anime from what I remember, anyone read the manga/spinoffs?

Since this is GJ thread, we're allowed to talk about Super Jump/Business Jump, right?
Absolutely, Super Jump and Business Jump turned into Grand Jump, so it’s the best place to chat about them too, for sure.

My best recommendation for Grand Jump’s current series is Impossibility Defense (Funohan), which is the highlight of every issue it runs in, but Olympia Kyklos and Sundome!! Milky Way are always pretty entertaining too. Completed series-wise I adore The Life of the Ashitaba Family’s Husband by Masakazu Ooi, who’s one of my favourite creators, and “I Become a Gedoh-man” by Shinji Hiramatsu, which is a crazily dramatised version of his career with Jump, with blood, violence, and a demon hanging over him the whole time.

As for the Bartender series/spin-offs, 6stp in GJ Premium is pretty neat, but the stuff Araki Joh has just started with Champagne (with the original Bartender artist) and Hotelier (with Yukinori Kawaguchi, who did Hoop Men in Weekly Shonen Jump back in 2009) feels a bit more refreshing for switching the formula up a bit.

Nemesis

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
Sundome Milky Way really stopped to being about the alien girl and her problems and just focus on many other girls. lol She almost don't appear anymore looking at the raws.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sundome Milky Way really stopped to being about the alien girl and her problems and just focus on many other girls. lol She almost don't appear anymore looking at the raws.
Yeah Lune’s role has massively fallen, and I think it’s kind of a hole Funatsu has written himself into with her whole transformation thing. That said it only ever takes a chapter like the store mascot costume one for her to be right in the centre of attention again, so fingers crossed

——————————————————
Today’s Grand Jump/GJ Premium comic releases:

Sundome!! Milky Way volume 5:
Bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/de8306a2f9-e51f-4a41-920b-2809b66c5400/

I Become A Gedoh-Man volume 4:
Bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/dece98142f-4a84-4e01-884a-0aa2e62c3f28/

Death Sweepers volume 1:
Bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/de19323b22-1ee4-4f12-9aa5-8b9e10d76f0d/

And from earlier this month, Hell Teacher Nube Neo volume 16:
Bookwalker: https://bookwalker.jp/defef31380-a408-42ed-af4c-24322aa1c1d4/

Honestly I never get tired of Takeshi Okano’s... inflated idea of breast physics on Nube. Just mad stuff.

Last edited:

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
That's a bummer to hear. She was the only tolerable thing about that series. I constantly want to punch the main guy straight in the face lol
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
I Will Do It Properly in the Afterlife (Itsuma-chan)
Is this a oneshot or a regular series? I don't recognize it, but maybe it's because I'm so used to reading the Japanese names. Also, have you ever heard of Kingyo Zuma? I've been trying to chart the TOCs for Grand Jump like I do with a lot of the other magazines (to try to attract some potential readers/popularity), but I saw this series pop up 2 or 3 times, but I can't seem to find out when it started/how many chapters it has/etc. Do you have any knowledge on it?

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

Is this a oneshot or a regular series? I don't recognize it, but maybe it's because I'm so used to reading the Japanese names. Also, have you ever heard of Kingyo Zuma? I've been trying to chart the TOCs for Grand Jump like I do with a lot of the other magazines (to try to attract some potential readers/popularity), but I saw this series pop up 2 or 3 times, but I can't seem to find out when it started/how many chapters it has/etc. Do you have any knowledge on it?
It’s not listed as a regular series. It just kind of shows up for a few pages now and then in Grand Jump. Just an odd 4-koma thing. I don’t read it, as uh seinen is hard, so I’m a bit picky.

Kingyo Zuma was an irregular series by a former assistant of Umino Chica. The final volume came out in August, and it felt like new chapters just kinda popped up whenever from when I started reading Grand Jump a year ago. I never really dug in so I can’t say much about its content, but it dealt a lot with some troubled relationships, which seems interesting.

Heiji

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Kingyo Zuma is not finished ;)

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Kingyo Zuma is not finished ;)
I’ve never been more glad to be wrong, as it’s very pretty, but I was kinda hopeful it would be just so I could safely approach it. Taking on more series while they’re ongoing is a path for headaches and failure on my part haha
Okay, here's today's stuff from what I think is technically the final issue of GJ Premium before it goes through a "renewal" as Grand Jump Mucha (to line up with Grand Jump's other sister publication, Grand Jump Mecha, I guess), though as always expect me to be wrong on some details, the issue has been out an hour and change and I'm absolute dog at Japanese without furigana.

GJ Premium November/2018 Cover & TOC:

TOC: (note: Thanks to Bomber for helping with some of the more complicated names!!)
Urayami (Cover, Lead Colour, Two Chapters) New from Masakazu Yamaguchi (Adultery Restaurant)
Hotelier
Seeds of Eros
A wo ni yoshi, sore mo yoshi
Station-side Soba ~Oshii Kaoru's Showa Folklore~ (Centre Colour, One shot) New from Masakazu Ooi (Oku-san, The Life of the Ashitaba Family's Husband)
Have a look at my H curriculum vitae
I Can Hear You (one-shot)
Kiroto Hyakki
My Ethics from here and now.
Soramori
Bartender 6stp
Hero Meshi
Sanjuusai Batsuichi Mushoku, Sakaba Hajimemasu./I'm Unemployed at 30 so I started hitting the bar.

Colour pages (Urayami, Station-siide Soba) NSFW WARNING:

Grand Jump Mecha/Mucha promotionals:

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but the two Araki Joh series in this magazine (Bartender 6stp and Hotelier) are kind of amazing in how they've rehabilitated artists who've failed to make it in Weekly Shonen Jump by having them switch gears to Joh's very specific type of comics story, and are both super good for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
Reaction score
Country
United States
I’ve never been more glad to be wrong, as it’s very pretty, but I was kinda hopeful it would be just so I could safely approach it. Taking on more series while they’re ongoing is a path for headaches and failure on my part haha
Okay, here's today's stuff from what I think is technically the final issue of GJ Premium before it goes through a "renewal" as Grand Jump Mucha (to line up with Grand Jump's other sister publication, Grand Jump Mecha, I guess), though as always expect me to be wrong on some details, the issue has been out an hour and change and I'm absolute dog at Japanese without furigana.

Urayami (Cover, Lead Colour, Two Chapters) New from Masakazu Yamaguchi (Adultery Restaurant)
Hotelier
Seeds of Eros
Station-side Soba ~Oshii Kaoru's Showa Folklore~ (Centre Colour, One shot) New from Masakazu Ooi (Oku-san, The Life of the Ashitaba Family's Husband)
Watashi no H na rirekisho mite kudasai (note: I always struggle a lot with this name, so I might be plumb wrong on what to call it)
Kiroto Hyakki
Koko wa Ima kara Rinri desu.
Soramori
Bartender 6stp
Hero Meshi
Sanjuusai Batsuichi Mushoku, Sakaba Hajimemasu.

I'm sure I've mentioned it before, but the two Araki Joh series in this magazine (Bartender 6stp and Hotelier) are kind of amazing in how they've rehabilitated artists who've failed to make it in Weekly Shonen Jump by having them switch gears to Joh's very specific type of comics story, and are both super good for anyone interested.
This looks good, tbh!

私のHな履歴書みてください Is something like "Have a look at my H curriculum vitae" Your rendering of the romanji is spot on though.
Koko wa Ima kara Rinri desu --"My Ethics from here and now."
Sanjuusai Batsuichi Mushoku, Sakaba Hajimemasu -- "I'm Unemployed at 30 so I started hitting the bar."

Hope that's helpful!

IzayaDLL

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
Peru

TOC: (note: Thanks to Bomber for helping with some of the more complicated names!!)
Hotelier
Seeds of Eros
Have a look at my H curriculum vitae
Kiroto Hyakki
My Ethics from here and now.
Soramori
Bartender 6stp
Hero Meshi
Sanjuusai Batsuichi Mushoku, Sakaba Hajimemasu./I'm Unemployed at 30 so I started hitting the bar.

Thank you for taking interest in this magazine!.
I have one request. Could you put the number of the chapter that is being published for each series in that edition? Only if it's possible.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for taking interest in this magazine!.
I have one request. Could you put the number of the chapter that is being published for each series in that edition? Only if it's possible.
Absolutely! I’ll start doing it from the issue coming out on Tuesday. Always happy to have ways to improve the bits I’m doing
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...w-regular-grand-jump-sister-magazines/.138850
ANN with a more detailed look at the Mecha/Mucha news. With them alternating months that means we’re gonna have 36 issues of Grand Jump brand magazines each year, which is ABSURDLY cool to me.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Isn't that the same amount they were already putting out? It's still effectively just GJ twice a month plus one monthly, they're not actually publishing more issues than before.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't that the same amount they were already putting out? It's still effectively just GJ twice a month plus one monthly, they're not actually publishing more issues than before.
Premium was once every two months, so it’s 6 more issues a year

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
Huh, I could swear I remember Premium being monthly. Did it switch to bimonthly at some point or am I just remembering wrong?

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Huh, I could swear I remember Premium being monthly. Did it switch to bimonthly at some point or am I just remembering wrong?
I can only speak to my experience buying it these past 14 months but it’s been this way that amount of time at least.

jagman1x3

MH Senpai
Reaction score
Country
United States
I can only speak to my experience buying it these past 14 months but it’s been this way that amount of time at least.
Yeah looks like it was never monthly. I think the most exposure I ever had to it was seeing ads in other magazines and every month I just forgot it existed and assumed the same ad next month was for a new issue.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Grand Jump 23/2018

Cover/Table of Contents:

Black Tiger ch.5 (Cover and Lead Colour)/Osamu Akimoto
Play Ball ch.36/Jokura Kooji (based on "Play Ball" & "Captain" by Akio Chiba)
Radiation House ch.59/Taishi Mori & Tomohiro Yokomaku
Sundome!! Milky Way ch. 36/Kazuki Funatsu
Kōun Ryūsui 〈Jofuku〉ch.44/Hiroshi Motomiya
I Will Do It Properly in the Afterlife/Itsuma-chan
Matataki no Sonya ch.20 (Centre Colour and Resume)/Hikaru Yuzuki
Yutori Yakuza ch.22/Keigo Iyasaka
Strike or Gutter ch.7/Yuu Andou
Captain Tsubasa Rising Sun ch.81/Yoichi Takahashi
Uramiya Honpo WORST ch.35/Showshow Kurihara
Champagne ch.11/Araki Joh & Kenji Nagatomo
Impossibility Defense ch.61 (MONTHLY)/Yuuya Kanzaki & Arata Miyatsuki
Ou-sama no Shitetaya ~Shitamachi Tailor~ ch.7/Ton Okawara
Noise ch.13(MONTHLY)/Tetsuya Tsutsui
The Naniwa Kinyuudo ch.35/Aoki Yuji Production
Hell Teacher Nube Neo ch.104/Takeshi Okano & Sho Makura

Absent: Olympia Kyklos, Kurogane-Kai (MONTHLY, so only mentioning it this one time)
Innocent Rouge, Sweet Life 2nd Season, Adultery Restaurant, Kyoi Toma

Next Issue:
Play Ball 2 (Cover)
Draft King (Lead Colour, New Series)/Kuromatsutarou
Innocent Rouge (Centre Colour)

Colour pages (Black Tiger, Matataki no Sonya):

GJ Mecha/Grand Jump volume advertisements:
Not familiar with Grand Jump Mecha, as the special issues prior to this month's big launch of it as a regular magazine aren't available digitally, as far as I can tell, but worth noting that first volume of I Will Do It Properly in the Afterlife being considered BOTH a GJ Mecha and GJ series due to its weird serialisation (also clock that 880 yen price point, woof), and I'll be interested to have a proper look at 卍Manji, Ask, Boyfriend Share GAME, and.... the other series I'm struggling with the name of in the future.

Beyond that the normal November Grand Jump releases are:
Adultery Restaurant volume 9
Uramiya Honpo WORST volume 6
Innocent Rouge volume 9

Promo for GJ Mecha/Mucha & issue preview for GJ Mecha:

So I'm being sloppy and not checking over this super thoroughly, but it looks like Kingyo Zuma, Eros no Shushi, and Have a Look at My H Resume are all making the leap to Grand Jump Mecha in the rebranding, though H Resume is just using this as a chance to go monthly and run in both magazines, along with Million Dollar Digger. Yutori Yakuza and Uramiya Honpo WORST will also be paying a visit for this opening issue, which is neat. More info about Mecha and Mucha's new lineups are available HERE (click on the half you wanna learn about)
Grand Jump Latest Circulation: 169,000
Source: https://www.j-magazine.or.jp/user/printed/index/42 (search “グランドジャンプ” if it doesn’t load right)
A drop of about 6k since the start of the year, but still fairly strong, as Jump’s non-weeklies go. Was prompted to look it up seeing other mag circulation elsewhere
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Grand Jump 24/2018

COVER AND TOC:

Draft King ch.1 (NEW SERIES, LEAD COLOUR)/Kuromatsutetsurou
Play Ball 2 ch.37 (COVER)/Jokura Kooji (based on "Play Ball" & "Captain" by Akio Chiba)

Black Tiger ch.6/Osamu Akimoto
Sundome!! Milky Way ch.37/Kazuki Funatsu
Kōun Ryūsui 〈Jofuku〉ch.44/Hiroshi Motomiya
Matataki no Sonya ch.21/Hikaru Yuzuki
Yutori Yakuza ch.23/Keigo Iyasaka
Olympia Kyklos ch.9 (MONTHLY)/Mari Yamazaki
Innocent Rouge ch.67(CENTRE COLOUR)/Shin'ichi Sakamoto

Radiation House ch.60/Taishi Mori & Tomohiro Yokomaku
Captain Tsubasa Rising Sun ch.82/Yoichi Takahashi
Adultery Restaurant ch.63/Masakazu Yamaguchi
Uramiya Honpo WORST ch.36/Showshow Kurihara
Strike or Gutter ch.8/Yuu Andou
Kurogane-Kai ch.16(MONTHLY)/Kei Toume
The Naniwa Kinyuudo ch.36/Aoki Yuji Production
Hell Teacher Nube Neo ch.105/Takeshi Okano & Sho Makura

ABSENT: Sweet Life 2nd Season, Kyoi Toma, Ou-sama no Shitetaya ~Shitamachi Tailor~, Champagne

Next issue Grand Jump 01/2019 (5th December):
Cover and Centre Colour: Radiation House
Lead Colour: Dr. Quench (New series, kinda)

Hell Teacher Nube Neo (END)

COLOUR PAGES:

Nube ending is kind of a big deal at this point, as one of the better-selling print series for the magazine, but it's also totally run out of places to go, so that's no real surprise.

Also of note is that the latest batch of Grand Jump volumes are out, including the first wave of Grand Jump Mecha titles, but I'll hopefully get to those in the near future.