Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Yea, the shootout is pretty intense in Heat. There was that Ben Affleck movie that felt like a big rip-off of it too.
The Town, right? Saw that one in theaters. Don't remember much, but thought it was alright, nothing worth remembering.

I wasn't aware it was considered a masterpiece, but then again that word gets thrown around a bit.
I mean, it's rated like 122/250 on IMDB's top, so yeah I'd say a lot of people really like it :v

Heat made me kinda sad seeing Val Kilmer...
Yeah, seeing Heat reminded me just how much of a looker he was... I think he truly shined in those 80s/90s films back then, like in The Saint.

Now he looks super old and sickly but I think it's because of diseases... that's too bad :/

~

Saw The Night Comes For Us, and it was alright.
It was better than Headshot, so that was good.

Some fight scenes were really good, but there was also some bad editing and extremely atrocious CGI here and there.

Other than that, a good action flick, okay for a 1-time watch, and then seeing the fight scenes again multiple times, but definitely not on the same level as the Raid films.

 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
33,629
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
The Town, right? Saw that one in theaters. Don't remember much, but thought it was alright, nothing worth remembering.
Yea it was good, but you can't shake the feeling of a 'copy'.

I mean, it's rated like 122/250 on IMDB's top, so yeah I'd say a lot of people really like it :v
Oh, lol, fair enough. 122 isn't a big stretch tbh, compared to some of the movies in it's top 20.

Yeah, seeing Heat reminded me just how much of a looker he was... I think he truly shined in those 80s/90s films back then, like in The Saint.

Now he looks super old and sickly but I think it's because of diseases... that's too bad :/
He was such a star then. His character in Tombstone (Doc Holliday) is one of my faves. Thought he was making a comeback with Kiss Kiss Bang Bang too : (

Oh didn't realise he was sick...
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I think Heat is a great film. The only criticism I usually see with it is the length, but the running time of a movie never really bothers me if it doesn't suck.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I think Heat is a great film. The only criticism I usually see with it is the length, but the running time of a movie never really bothers me if it doesn't suck.
I definitely felt the runtime on this one, but - as I've already said numerous times here - I always enjoy longer films, and I'm not the kind of person to check the time on my phone repeatedly to see how much is left, and I definitely didn't do that this time around either.

It's just that I thought there would be slightly more action throughout its 2h50mins.

I get why all that relationship stuff was in the movie, but some subplots seemed a bit "meh", like the Natalie Portman stuff (she's like what, 3 times in the movie every 40mins or so?) and getting that other guy killed (whom they stole the money from).

There was a lot of stuff going on and I didn't feel like it particularly tied everything together nicely.

I'm willing to let the stuff regarding the Donald character slide because it served a purpose (guys on parole not given a proper second chance a life, and thus are doomed to go back to their old, criminal ways) but yeah. I usually don't say this, but this film could have been shorter, I don't think it's one of those where I'd say I'd always leave everything as is.
 

FetherMan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2012
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,127
Gender
Male
Country
United States
In The Mouth of Madness (1994) - 7 / 10 :nuts & Village of the Damned (1995) - 8 / 10 :devil-mad

Did a double John Carpenter feature this week with these two films from the early 90's. I was unaware of Sam Neill's portrayal in the Madness film and it was odd, weird and somewhat confusing with it's story line. The whole idea of influence through fiction and mixing it with people's ideas of religious beliefs and so forth made for a tripped up mind game for the main character. Decent overall film and enjoyed it.


Christopher Reeves was featured in this film and his performance was really good as well as the other supporting characters of the film. The story is basically to me is the children being altered in a way that puts the fear into parents the potential future that could come from a scenario like this. It's very supernatural and full of suspense with a cat & mouse like dilemma for the character's survival.
 

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
65,180
Reaction score
30,228
Gender
Male
Country
Pyke
I definitely felt the runtime on this one, but - as I've already said numerous times here - I always enjoy longer films, and I'm not the kind of person to check the time on my phone repeatedly to see how much is left, and I definitely didn't do that this time around either.

It's just that I thought there would be slightly more action throughout its 2h50mins.

I get why all that relationship stuff was in the movie, but some subplots seemed a bit "meh", like the Natalie Portman stuff (she's like what, 3 times in the movie every 40mins or so?) and getting that other guy killed (whom they stole the money from).

There was a lot of stuff going on and I didn't feel like it particularly tied everything together nicely.

I'm willing to let the stuff regarding the Donald character slide because it served a purpose (guys on parole not given a proper second chance a life, and thus are doomed to go back to their old, criminal ways) but yeah. I usually don't say this, but this film could have been shorter, I don't think it's one of those where I'd say I'd always leave everything as is.
I think it's sometimes overhyped for the wrong reason. Critics made a big deal about it being the only on-screen performance with Deniro and Pacino (at the time). But that in itself isn't enough for it to be considered a great film. At least, not for me. In fact, Pacino's character could have probably been played by someone else and I would have preferred it. Pacino in this era was basically a slightly different version of Frank Slade in nearly every notable role he had. :lmao
 

gnut

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2010
Messages
11,490
Reaction score
18,519
Age
52
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I suggest if you guys dug heat...watch the original heist movie.
White Heat 1949
Starring James Cagney

"Top of the world....ma!!!!
Top of the world....."
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Saw a bunch of films since my last post but forgot to come here '0'...

- Thunder Road: this is the kind of film that I typically wouldn't watch - I could just say it's an indie drama of sorts but I don't think that's exactly fair - but the trailer was incredibly arresting in a very good way.

I remember this being a short from a few years ago that was widely talked about, so I was curious to see what would become of this feature film since most of the time making a full movie out of a short film doesn't exactly work out for the best (Baskin, in my opinion, would be such an example).

But I really liked Thunder Road, it was well worth the time. Check the trailer for yourselves and see if it moves you even if a little bit.
The very first scene of the movie is incredible and immediately draws you in, all in part thanks to the main character/actor.
Oh, and the main incredible, talented actor?
Also the director and writer of the film.

As I said, even though this is the kind of film I wouldn't typically watch, it made me go "yeah, I'll definitely keep my eye on this guy from here on out".

~

- Ghost in the Shell, the original 1995 movie. Had never seen the whole thing before, just some scenes here and there, so I decided to go and check it out at a free screening... might as well enjoy it on the big screen! Don't really have much to say about it though, certainly ahead of its time in a lot of ways, but I still have to watch/read everything else related to GitS.

~

- November, a black and white Estonian film from last year. It was a very weird and interesting film. Weird and strange for sure, but at the same time you can clearly tell that most of the things one would consider "wtf" and "weird" are actually part of Estonian folklore and whatnot, so it's not THAT strange, if you get my drift. It's based on a novel, but yeah I really liked it.


Very good visuals, cinematography, settings, soundtrack and ambience in general.

While this is clearly one of those films that not everyone will be fond of (and even then I wouldn't exactly say this is "art-house", in fact it's quite accessible), for me it was quite intriguing and left me wanting to know more about their culture, maybe even read the original book if I can find a translated version. Had wanted to see it for over a year now and I wasn't disappointed.

~

- Turbo Kid: I hesitated whether it was worth it or not to go see it (also a free showing) until the very last moment, but I went and was actually plesantly surprised. It was fun and enjoyable. I think it could've been MUCH better with a few tiny tweaks, but yeah I don't regret seeing it one bit.

That was the last one I saw in September, only 7 films in total :/... BUT-

~

I already bought my tickets to go and see the following films :D

- High Life (most hyped)
- The House That Jack Built (2nd most hyped)
- Suspiria (3rd most hyped)
- Long Day's Journey Into Night
- Vox Lux
- Ray & Liz
- The River
- Shoplifters
- The Sisters Brothers


Even though I really like horror films and I'm always looking forward for the next best thing, I put Suspiria at number 3 instead of 2 (even though "The House..." is also tagged as horror) because from what I've seen/heard, it will be just another horror film that falls into the same category as "mother!" and "Hereditary" = not exactly full blown horror, but more fucked up than anything else. I will probably enjoy it, as I have enjoyed the others, but I think "The House..." will definitely be the most fucked up thing I'll see all year, and might end up having more originality to it than Suspiria...

I don't know! Time will tell.

I liked the look of "Long Day's Journey Into Night" (also there's a 50min tracking shot, I believe?)
"Vox Lux" is the new Natalie Portman film that everyone's been talking about
"Ray & Liz" seemed interesting so I decided to give it a shot, especially with it being a debut-feature, trailer here.
"The River" (Ozen), hopefully it will be better than "The Wounded Angel".
"Shoplifters", Japanese film that won the Palme d'Or at Cannes.
"The Sisters Brothers". Mostly going to see it because of Joaquin Phoenix. Other than that it's at the "bottom" of the list because I guess it's the most mainstream film of all, and I have much higher expectations for everything else.

I also haven't seen any trailers for High Life, Suspiria and Vox Lux... hopefully it'll pay off :D

I also wanted to see Loro (Parts 1 and 2) as well as Roma, but I have to take the train to go to a different theater just to see those and that's a bit too much effort and trouble to go through, but I'll think about it...

But yeah, I'm really looking forward to see all those films!

I'll also be seeing "The Deer Hunter" in theaters... I thought I'd seen it already (I know for a fact I saw a bunch of scenes) but it's not on my watched list, so I'll be going to a screening.

Should also be seeing Overlord next week.

So yeah, that's at least 11 films films I'll be seeing this month. I think there's a high chance that November will end up being the month with most watched films so far, gotta watch at least 18 and beat September (17).

I'm also gonna see Annihilation pretty soon, maybe tonight, who knows :v.
 

M3J

MH Senpai
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Joined
Mar 2, 2009
Messages
48,828
Reaction score
17,292
Gender
Male
Country
Akatsuki
I'm watching the Forbidden Hollywood series, and the movies in Volume 2 so far are great.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
So I saw Overlord today and...

Not really sure what to say, it's pretty much 50/50, probably the most mediocre, "meh" film I've seen all year.

It's literally way too "half and half".

Was still debating earlier today if it reaaaally was worth it to pay for a ticket, but it was an alright watch. Nothing exactly new, cool shots here and there, but otherwise I'd say it's extremely forgetable... not a single scene/moment comes to mind that I'd want to rewatch on youtube or whatever, for example.

It pretty much was 50% WWII/action film and 50% horror/weird shit (and I'm being generous here since there wasn't a ton of that), but the movie could've been so much better if it had mixed those elements a little more, like maybe 60%/40%, or 70%/30%.

Really underwhelming, + more WWII clichés/tropes than you can imagine. I get why most of those were probably intentional, but still.

This could've been a so much better film if they just went with it, instead they just filled the same old molds as always and just left it at that.

As I said, it's an alright watch, but they never went full throttle with the zombie/supernatural thing and I can see why a lot of people were disappointed by that.

The movie looks pretty and all, but I can't shake the feeling that it was just super hyper mediocre, and that's a real shame.
 

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
I have to agree with that. If you want a better plot/characters/action/horror etc just pick up the game Return to Castle Wolfenstein. It’s almost the same thing only better in every way. Video quality might suffer a bit though since it came out in 2001.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Oh I also finally got around to see Annihilation after so many months of waiting.

I liked it, I enjoyed it, but I must say, based on everything I had seen/read beforehand, I was expecting a MUCH more complex and deep movie, as a lot of people made it out to be.

I honestly didn't think it was "that" much over the top/not really "mainstream friendly", so in that regard I was slightly disappointed.

Still, it was pretty cool, and it definitely renewed my interesting in reading the books, but yeah I was expecthing much more wtf stuff as well as mind fuckery.

Sure, there was some, but I wish there had been more of everything overall.

Felt way too much like "we go to this place and then THIS happens, now we move along and we settle here and ANOTHER WEIRD THING HAPPENS", and I feel like quite a few scenes could've benefited some more if they had been longer.

You could say that, the longer you stay there, the less sense it makes, after all no one understands what's going on inside the zone and how it works and stuff, but yeah.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
33,629
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
What I've seen recently:

Breath
- Was very impressed, a surfer movie wasn't just beach and sun. Didn't really look like one either with overcast weather and a duller colour pallet. A serious film about risks vs adrenaline packaged as a growing-up movie. Simon Baker surprised me. Tbh, I don't dig him. Yet he was pretty good in this and directed the movie. I'm going to re-watch as soon as I can, might be my fave new movie I've seen this year.

Surviving the Kimberly - This is a doco, but I saw it at a theater so yea. Anyway it's about a guy who tries walk in the footsteps of a German pilot who crashed in the Kimberly (west Australia). The scenery was amazing. The guy, Michael Atkinson, is a bit of a tosser. Too up himself so it kinda ruined the doco.

Old Man & The Gun - This was a comfy flick, you can sit there and relax, and enjoy yourself. A lot of that comes from having the casting, not because the characters are demanding, but they can do it effortlessly and it adds charm. Like, Redford's character is central to everything, but because it's him you're also strung along. The movie knows it, you know it, and you lap it up. Spacek is the same, probably because she's one of the most expressive actresses there is. Casey Affleck did it easily, also felt genuine warmth with his family (to mirror Redford, obviously, but it needed to work). Danny Glover was not too old for this shit, and Tom Waits was able to make his character stand out with his voice alone.. so yea I think this was superbly cast. Only gripe was that they didn't use Isiah Whitlock's "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit" in his scene. Overall, this is a movie not many people would dislike, but unlikely to trouble the umpires in a 'best movies of 2018' competition. Very watchable, not exactly re-watchable.


Plan to watch the new Coen's movie.
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
Saw Wrath of Silence the other day. Kid goes missing, and his mute dad sets out to find him no matter what.

Judging by the synopsis, I was expecting a little more action. You know, the revenge, unstoppable kind of thing.
The movie was alright and it wasn't exactly superficial, but it could've used much more depth.

One thing I'll say though: it did surprise me here and there, but the lead-up to the "twist" could've used a LOT more work.
Like, you kinda started figuring out that something's definitely not right, and by the end of the film you kinda have all the info you need.

It would've been fine if they left it at that, but immediately after the "end", there's an additional, short scene used to kinda overexplain (in a way) what really happened, and I don't think that was necessary at all. It would've been better to just leave everything as it was...

Wouldn't surprise me if the director was asked to shoot that extra scene just to make sure everyone "gets it", but that's alright I guess.

Too bad the "final" shot was really, really bad because of the CGI... I get the symbolism and all, but man, I always say the same thing: if it's gonna look that bad, just cut it and do something else, especially for a final shot...

-

I also saw Shoplifters yesterday, which I highly recommend!
Word of advice: do not watch any trailers, it's a movie best experienced by going in blind.
The only thing I knew about the film was that it won the Cannes Palme d'Or, and the brief synopsis: "A family of small-time crooks take in a child they find on the street.", and trust me that's all you need.

I just checked the trailers for the first time and they show way too much, trust me on this one.

Now, regarding the film, going in I was expecting a "light" drama of sorts with some heavy moments on the side.
I would say I got exactly that, except that the overall arching story, the characters and all of the acting was absolutely stellar and stuning.

It really blew me away. This was part wholesome, part very sad but also hopeful.

I didn't really have any expectactions going in, but it was awesome. I'd give it a 5/5 if I rated films :p

I wouldn't say it's an "absolute, must-see masterpiece", but it's expertly crafted, and as I said all of the actors were great (especially the little girl!), and since the story is about the family and their connections to one another, everything comes together beautifully.

If you get the chance, I think it's worth it to see it in theaters.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
33,629
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
I'll definitely check out Shoplifters. I haven't seen a Kore-eda movie in a long time, so I'll start with that, and work back. Looking at his filmography, probably all to I Wish. His stuff is worth checking out, he's very much a minimalist and thoughtful filmmaker. Hopefully Shoplifter is no different. Still Walking is my favourite but I'd really need to get another look at them all, thankfully I own a few of his 2000s movies.

Just saw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Didn't know it was an episodic collection. 6 stories. If you're a Coen's fan and/or fan of Westerns, you'll probably love this. You can feel the Coen's love for the genre, just like Scorcese with Hugo (not as sentimental as that). All the themes, the beautiful settings (seriously some great cinematography, the Coen's best to me apart from O' Brother), brutal violence and dark humour that you find in Westerns/Coens are here and shine. And I got sad a few times with endings in 3 and 5 specifically. Eps 2 and 6 had dashes of horror (the panned banker was hilarious). Tentative ranking of the eps: 4 > 5 > 3 > 1 > 2 > 6. Not eager to watch it again soon, I'll give it a while, and I'll be back. Roughly 8/10.

Hearing A Star is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody are pretty good. Might try to watch those this week.
 
Last edited:

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
I'll definitely check out Shoplifters. I haven't seen a Kore-eda movie in a long time, so I'll start with that, and work back. Looking at his filmography, probably all to I Wish. His stuff is worth checking out, he's very much a minimalist and thoughtful filmmaker. Hopefully Shoplifter is no different. Still Walking is my favourite but I'd really need to get another look at them all, thankfully I own a few of his 2000s movies.
I think Shoplifters was actually the first film I saw of his, although I've had "Like Father, Like Son" on my Watchlist for a long while now, probably since that movie was released I guess.

But yeah, Shoplifters was such a nice surprise that I'm definitely interested in checking out his other stuff now!

Just saw The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.
For some reason I'm not at all interested in that film... maybe because it's an anthology? Or maybe I'm just used to a ton of fanfare when a new Coens movie is out but this time around I feel like it was very minimal... maybe because it's on Netflix, I think?

But hey, speaking of westerns, yesterday I saw-

The Sisters Brothers

It was alright. I think I liked it but it wasn't exactly mindblowing.
I said this one was at the bottom of my list because I deemed it the most "commercial and mainstream", and yeah, it was kinda like that, but this isn't a "blockbuster western", it's actually more sentimental-driven (though with plenty of shootouts, of course) and more something you'd expect to see scoring plenty of awards.

As a matter of fact, the director was there for a brief discussion/Q&A afterwards, and it was implied that they're very hopeful it gets some important nominations, probably for the Academy Awards if I were to guess.

I'm not really sure what it would be nominated for.

I had a good time, but I don't think I would've lost anything substantial by not seeing it, except maybe for Joaquin Phoenix. John C. Reilly is also a tremendous actor, but there's something about Phoenix, I don't know, it's always such a pleasure to see him act, I really think he's one of the best actors currently in the business.

Some two hours later, I finally got to see Suspiria(!!!) in a sold out theater and boy...
Oh boy...
Holy shit... like, dayum.


I have to start right off by saying that I can't say whether it was good or bad, or whether I liked it or not, at least not in a straightforward fashion.
Did I hate the movie?
Absolutely not, in fact I was so GLUED to what was happening on screen, that I barely even blinked and my eyes would get so dry and burny!
Was it worth the money/seeing it in theaters? YES ABSOLUTELY. It is definitely an experience, and one such as this definitely deserves to be seen/heard/felt in the best of conditions.

But yeah, this is definitely NOT for everyone, especially with the film having a run time of 2h32mins. It's just not.

When I got out of the theater, I heard about 3-5 separate conversations going on while on my way out, and they all went like this:
- "yeah I was expecting something else"
- "that stuff towards the end kinda ruined it for me"
- "I have many mixed emotions"
- "this is a lot to process"
etc.

At the very beginning of the film, the way the first scenes were edited felt like a slap to the face.
It was distressing, and in my mind all I could think was "this feels very psychotic" (the editing), which I'm assuming was extremely intentional given the nature of the scenes in question.

With that in mind, it makes sense and it's definitely a + when it comes to the concept and all, but holy shit was it a hardcore way to start the film.
Lots, lots of cuts and information to process, already demanding 110% of your attention.

Yes, this film is extremely demanding. It doesn't have super long dialogues or things like that, but at times there are a lot of cuts, not to mention dialogues in English, German and French (although French was very minimal).

There's also a lot going on with different characters, the action jumps around a lot/somewhat, and I can definitely say that some subplots would lose the audience whenever we got back to them, and to be honest I had to go and look up what the significance of some plot threads were.

Speaking of "losing the audience". I'm not sure if everyone knows but I don't consider it exactly a spoiler, but the movie is separated into 6 Parts + an Epilogue, which they tell you right at the start of the film.
And throughout the film, "Part 1, 2, etc." + their respective titles come on screen.

If it were up to me, I wouldn't have done that. Maybe for the DVD/digital release, but not in theaters.
I get that it was a stylistical choice, and me, I wasn't bothered by it, but I could tell the "vibe" in the room whenever a title would come up.

For example, when Part 3 came on, I could "sense" some people sighing and shuffling in their chairs like "so we're only halfway through?", or something like that.

I mean look, it was a sold out showing so obviously there were bound to be some people there that wouldn't enjoy the film. The guy next to me left at some point and I had to get up and shit, for example u_u...

But I think having those "title inserts" kinda takes you out of the experience. You should just let the movie run, and not give people indication whether you're 2/6ths through, or halfway through, or whatever, it kinda takes you out of the moment - in my opinion - because it immediately makes you think "oh, so there's about X amount of time left", which in turn, both directly and indirectly, break immersion because you're thinking about it as a film, and in doing so takes you out of the story.

I didn't mind it, but I believe that not having those would've improved a portion of the reception overall... I think.

Another thing I've seen people mentioning, is that the tone wasn't exactly consistent all the way through, but I'd say the big offender(s) probably happen in the latter half.

Once again, as I said, there were hundreds of people in the room, so naturally some would find X terrifying, while others would laugh.
And the thing is, while I didn't laugh at the parts where you weren't supposed to laugh, I understand why a lot of people did.

I think the director/team could've done a MUCH better job in those scenes to make sure that the tone sticks, so that it doesn't become "campy" and slapstick-y. Not sure if I'm using those terms right but I'm sure you'd understand upon seeing the film.

Maybe it was intentional? A tribute to the original (as well as the films of that epoch), which I haven't seen yet? I wouldn't know, still have a lot to read on it.

I mean hell, I haven't even watched the trailers yet, which I avoided like the plague!
Like, when I went to see Overlord last week, I had to close my eyes when they showed the Suspiria trailer D:
First time I "heard" the movie, too, and it sounded prety intriguing and nice to me.

There is one thing I can say for sure though.
Even though I would understand that some people say the film (or some scenes) are very pretentious, what really got to me was that I could tell that this film had an absurd amount of LOVE and WORK put into it, and it oozed everywhere.
The actors - stunning, stunning Tilda Swinton as always! She's such an unique actress - the music, the editing...

Like, literally everything about the film. It's a great cinematographic work. As a story? I'm not sure, but like I said I'm not familiar with the original and I know there a TON of stuff under the surface. There's more to it than appearances.

But yeah, you could totally make an "art book" with 1 frame from every single scene/cut, and I'm nearly certain that it would be almost like an encylopedia of paintings.

It was very pretty to look out, some of the compositions and whatnot, I mean really, and all of that adds up to why I think it should be seen in theaters.

Also the lead-up (as well as the actual) to the first fucked up scene was amazing. Amazing.
Once again, a ton of work by everyone involved.

As I'd seen some people commenting before, this isn't so much a "horror" movie in that it doesn't have jumpscares (I think?), instead it's more fucked up and weirder than anything else.

With that in mind, though, I still expected a few more scenes of the wtf-variety, but in the end I wasn't disappointed.

I think that's all I have to say for now, sorry for the wall of text D:
 
Last edited:

Wowzers

MH Senpai
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Messages
6,509
Reaction score
5,523
Gender
Male
Country
Canada
Mirai
I saw this movie at Cinefest in September. At the time it was named Mirai no Mirai... so it looks like it was renamed to just Mirai for it's actual release later this month. I thought I'd mention it as it's really good. It's a lot like a Miyazaki film. A little girl is born into her family and her 4 year old brother meets her for the first time (his name is Kun... which I thought was unfortunate for him as I imagine he will be called Kun-kun by his future friends... or his future tormentors :XD) . Kun seems to have visitations from other family members from the future and the past. It's an adorable film so see it when you can.
 

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Joined
Nov 5, 2007
Messages
4,334
Reaction score
22,337
Gender
Male
Country
Sweden
Mirai
I saw this movie at Cinefest in September. At the time it was named Mirai no Mirai... so it looks like it was renamed to just Mirai for it's actual release later this month. I thought I'd mention it as it's really good. It's a lot like a Miyazaki film. A little girl is born into her family and her 4 year old brother meets her for the first time (his name is Kun... which I thought was unfortunate for him as I imagine he will be called Kun-kun by his future friends... or his future tormentors :XD) . Kun seems to have visitations from other family members from the future and the past. It's an adorable film so see it when you can.
Me and @FaustXIII talked about this just the other day. Really looking forward to it, possibly even more since I have a soon-4-year-old son who’ll be a big brother soon. :tem

Elsewhere, I saw also saw Buster Scrubbs and quite loved it. It’s the Coens being very Coen. Every segment had something new to say and even though it’s an anthology it feels very “whole”, so to speak. And like Brandish said, some of their most gorgeous cinematography ever. I’ll also give it a strong 8/10. :nod
 

Eigengrau

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
3,040
Gender
Hidden
Country
The Wall
High Life
I was really blown away by this film. Going into it and despite knowing it was a sci-fi film from the get go, I also knew it was a arthouse, "auteur" kind of film.
Nonetheless, for a mere 8 million-dollars budget, I was blown away by its quality overall. Cinematography, set, special effects... it was really mindblowing.

So yeah, I really liked it. Not sure yet whether I liked it as much as I wanted/expected to, but it probably matched the hype I had for it. Really good, and I think once again Robert Pattinson proves that he's really one of the best actors currently in the business.

10 years ago I would've laughed if someone told me that about Pattinson, given the "reputation" that precedes him, but after seeing him in Cosmopolis , Rover and Good Time (highly recommended) and now this, there's no doubt in my mind that he really is a tremendously good actor, and I can only see him getting better and better over time. It's only a matter of time before he snags the major awards, I feel.

Once again, as is typical with most films I've seen recently, this isn't for everyone, although I found it much more accessible than what I initially anticipated. The "weird" stuff going on, for example, is explained throughout. It's not one of those where it's just weird for the sake of being weird, I think.

I'd advise against watching the trailer if you have any interest/possibility of seeing this in theaters.

~~~~

Ray & Liz
It was meh... visually it was very interesting and wel composed (first film by the director, who's also a photographer).
The film is about some memories/moments of the director's life, with actors portraying his parents (Ray and Liz).

I expected a lot more content and development throughout, but instead only got a few "incidents" here and there.

It was well made and somehow kept my interest all the way through, but I expected more. I'm curious to see what he will do next (if he will do anything at all), but as it stands I wouldn't have missed anything by not seeing it, I feel.

~~~~

Vox Lux
Wow! I didn't think I was going to like this movie that much.

I saw someone saying how with Vox Lux the "Natalie Portman self-destructive trilogy is now complete" (+ Annhilation and Black Swan), and I think that's an accurate observation.

This film has been compared a lot lately to Black Swan, but the only real thing that ties them together is that, while in Black Swan it's all about her being a dancer and whatnot, here her character, Celeste, is an ascending pop star.

The two films are very different, and we all know how Aronofsky likes to do his own thing, but I think I really liked Vox Lux a lot more overall. Then again it's been a while since I saw Black Swan.

Regardless, I feel like this is a role that could/should easily give Portman a ton of nominations. Even though her part was only shot in 10 days (allegedly?), you could tell that she was immensely immersed in the role. Truly one of the most consistent actresses that I can think of.

I think she really did a good job here, and it's a shame that the film wasn't longer because I wanted to see so much more of her and everything surrounding her.

Also, narration by Willem Dafoe! Wish I could've gotten more of that too, but it was good nonetheless.

I would skip both the trailer and teaser, if I were you. Watch the teaser if you have to, but the trailer ruins a lot of things. Unfortunately I had seen a comment beforehand so going into it I could tell that something was coming up, but it was still fun seeing the packed theater react the way they did. They sure as shit WEREN'T expecting it, and neither should you.

Another important thing I'd like to point out: the songs in the film were actually written by Sia, and I saw some people complaining about there was too much music/singing scenes in the film.

Look, I absolutely do not, in any way, listen to Sia. It's simply not my thing.

However, I never felt like there was "too much" of it in the film. In fact, I was just mesmerized to see Natalie Portman sing and dance as if she was truly a pop star. It all made the movie what it is, and even though Sia/pop is not something that I listen to at all, I was never, at any point, bothered or saturated by any of it, so hopefully that's not a factor you'd let influence you.
 

Brandish μ

Taking notes
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Joined
Oct 24, 2015
Messages
10,243
Reaction score
33,629
Gender
Male
Country
Kingdom of Fiore
Will add Mirai to the watch-list.

High Life has been on my must-see list, I've checked out most of Claire Denis' stuff since I saw 35 Shots of Rum (the title will get you to watch that).

Suspiria I'm pretty excited about.
 
Top