Eh? I thought this was supposed to be the dark and gritty version? Seems like a weird British action comedy.
Yeah, honestly that looks like ass to me.
I wasn't going to watch it regardless, but from the trailer alone it seems to be inferior to the 2004 one in almost every way... and that's not good... at all...
Maybe it's just a bad first trailer or something, but I've read around that the first test screenings did horribly so everyone scrambled to try and salvage it somehow...
Honestly it wouldn't surprise me if it ended with a 27% score on RT or something. Not that scores matter that much, but yeah, I don't see this doing too well for some reason.
~
Saw
Godspeed recently, a film I had on my watchlist for a couple of years now.
I was somewhat disappointed by it. In a certain way, it's quite realistic in that nothing much happens, and when it does it's usually with hardly any fanfare.
I'm not sure whether the film was trying to say something about people from Taiwan and the hardships they face or something, but that message was lost on me.
The film was funny, in fact it had some good amount of very subtle comedy all the way through, and the way the film was directed had its charm for sure, but in the end there wasn't much of a plot or anything. I mean, there was a plot, but almost every scene felt pointless/anti-climatic... not really sure how to explain it.
Also saw
Bird Box. For those who don't know, it's pretty much A Quiet Place, except that you can't look at the monsters/things otherwise you go crazy/die.
Also worth mentioning that this is based off a book from 2014 I believe.
Anyway, I know there's probably a ton of people that won't agree with me, but conceptually? I very much prefer the "you can't look at this thing or you die" rather than "you can't make a sound".
It's more interesting, and leaves a lot more to the imagination, I feel, which of course can be a good thing in book form but might not translate well to the screen.
Saw some peole saying "lol this is pretty much The Happening 2" but I honestly don't agree with that.
Is the directing on the same level of A Quiet Place? Unfortunately, hell no, and that's a damn shame because this film coul've been as good as A Quiet Place.
I hated some of the acting/reactions in the first 30mins, it didn't seem genuine/believable at all... and for the most part, John Malkovich acts like he's there to just collect a paycheck or something.
Like, I get it, he's not the main character or whatever, but it was a bit weird to see such a distinct actor... well, not acting much, in my opinion.
I also would've enjoyed far more creepy/monster encounters, but you run into that problem which is you can't show them... Regardless, I found that this was an ok watch. I liked it, and I dare say I might even enjoy it more than A Quiet Place, again, because of the concept alone.
As a filmmaking achievement, A Quiet Place is very likely the superior work, but I enjoyed this all the way through, though it would've worked better as a Netflix series, for example... you could've done so much more with this idea, even though the film (from what I understand) pretty much adapts the entire original story (but the ending is slightly changed).
Am not a fan of Sandra Bullock (don't mean I hate, I simply don't follow her stuff), but she did good. Not Toni-Collette-Hereditary-level of good for a horror film, but there were a couple of "dramatic" moments that I found were pulled off quite nicely.
Also, kudos to the 2 kid actors, even though they don't have that much screen time, they had a strong presence and really good acting capabilities/expressions for their age.
Saw
Roma earlier today.
I'll be honest, I really, really struggled with whether I really wanted to see this movie in theaters, or save 5 euros instead, especially when the film hit the web a few days ago.
Even yesterday before going to bed I was still debating if I really wanted to go or not, especially so "early" (showing was at 13h35), but I ended up saying screw it and I just went for it.
All in all, yes, it was worth it.
It was worth the money, and it was worth seeing it in theaters.
Would I have regretted if I hadn't? Not really... I mean, from a technical standpoint it's quite an achievement, but it's no Blade Runner 2049 or Mandy in terms of pure visual/auditory orgasmic fest, but I was glad I did and I don't regret it one bit.
This film did everything quite well, even the very subtle things coming from the kid actors, and of course, there were 2-3 moments where I got teary-eyed and could've easily cried.
In that aspect, the build-up throughout the whole film and its emotional pay-offs are handled really well... really, I think it's fair to say that this is quite the fillmmaking lesson.
As
@Brandish pointed out, there's a lot of pan-shots. In fact, most of the shots are either pans/fixed camera shots/dolly shots, and I think this speaks volumes to the quality of the film when you consider that the camera remains mostly the same all the way through, yet keeps the audience (me, at least) engaged in what's happening, and it's a testament to the brilliant directing and mise-en-scène.
So yeah, I can definitely see why so many people are making a big deal out of it, and how it's very likely to win the oscar for Best Foreign Film.
I will probably vote for it, but only because I know it's going to win;
Shoplifters is still the film I liked the most in that category, it's the one that spoke to me the most and surprised me the most, and the one I would like to win, but probably won't, because Roma is just killing it at the awards.
Btw for those who don't know, these are the
shortlisted films for Best Foreign Film at the Oscars:
Colombia, “Birds of Passage”
Denmark, “The Guilty”
Germany, “Never Look Away”
Japan, “Shoplifters”
Kazakhstan, “Ayka”
Lebanon, “Capernaum”
Mexico, “Roma”
Poland, “Cold War”
South Korea, “Burning”
Only 5(?) will actually be selected sometime in January.
My guess would be:
- Shoplifters
- Capernaum
- Roma
- Cold War
- Burning
Oh shit, speaking of
Burning; it's finally online : D
But it takes me days to download D:
Must wait for a better source/link, I have to see it before the end of the year D:
edit: oh shit, I think I just found a better link, only around an hour to download, might even watch it tonight : D
If anyone wants it, let me know. Apparently it's 720hdrip, but we'll see. I hope it's good enough quality otherwise I'll have to wait... but I think it should be good.