Movies - The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1 | Page 78 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Movies The Movie Thread! - Continuation - Part 1

xi0

あの術
最終形態 / Saishuu Keitai / Final Form
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
Pyke
Compared to the original? Yes. Have you ever actually seen the original? It's a fantastic story but the remake is like a very watered down version of it. It sort of has the same problem as the remake of The Magnificent Seven has. In order to "modernize" it they altered what made it special. 3:10 to Yuma is not really supposed to be much of an action movie it's an all time great character drama about an honorable outlaw and an honorable normal man and the respect the outlaw has for that kind of man. Most of what they added just detracts from that core idea.

In the Magnificent Seven remake they made a similar mistake in adding a personal plotline for Denziel Washington's character. Part of the point of the original, and Seven Samurai before that, is that it isn't their fight and that they aren't fighting for much of anything but they are doing it anyway because it's who they choose to be.
Yeah I've seen it and it's a classic (well, classic Elmore Leonard). I'll agree that it was definitely modernized for the sake of turning it into a popcorn film, and for that reason it's obviously an inferior film, but I think the essence of the story is still there. Would I have thought as highly of it without Crowe and Bale though? Probably not.

Eigengrau

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
The Wall
So I spent these last couple of days doing some maths and whatnot, but for some strange reason I can't seem to find a decent website to make pie charts and such... tried a bunch and they just wouldn't let me do what I had in mind, so I guess I'll have to scrap them charts at least for now. It's too bad, but whatever, I can still share the stats anyway:

So without further ado:

First and foremost, you can find all the (new) films I saw this year below (made a collage with all the posters):
NOTE: the films are ordered from last movie I've seen (TOP LEFT, "Pity") to first movie I've seen this year (BOTTOM RIGHT, "The Killing of a Sacred Deer").

Total movies seen: 124
- 120 new movies + 4 rewatches

Out of 124 movies:
-- a total of 57 were seen in theaters (53 new films, 4 rewatches)
-- and the remaining 67 were seen at home.

Out of the 57 movies seen in a movie theater, 5 were free showings;
So in total, in 2018 I paid 238,30 euros to watch 52 films in theaters (48 new films + 4 rewatches):

Most expensive month: November (55,90 euros)
Cheapest month: August (no films)

Month with the most movies seen: December (20)
Month with the least number of movies seen: August (0)

Number of films I saw by myself at home: 65
Number of films I saw by myself at the movie theater: 22
Number of films I saw at home with at least one more person: 2
Numver of films I saw at the movie theater with at least one more person: 35

Longest film seen: An Elephant Sitting Still - 3h50mins
Shortest film seen: Grass - 1h06mins
Average film duration: 1h52mins

Total amount of time spent in 2018 watching films: 231 hours and 54 minutes, or 9 Days/15 Hours/54 minutes. Doesn't sound like much when you consider that the year has 365 days, but still! That's a lot of hours.

USA - 41
-------------------------------
FRANCE - 24
GERMANY - 14
SOUTH KOREA - 14
UK - 14
JAPAN - 12
RUSSIA - 9
CANADA - 7
CHINA - 7
POLAND - 5
SOVIET UNION - 5
BELGIUM - 4
DENMARK - 4
HONG KONG - 4
ITALY - 3
NETHERLANDS - 3
NORWAY - 3
PORTUGAL - 3
SWITZERLAND - 3
TAIWAN - 3
AUSTRALIA - 2
AUSTRIA - 2
IRELAND - 2
KAZAKHSTAN - 2
MEXICO - 2
ROMANIA - 2
SPAIN - 2
SWEDEN - 2
BRAZIL - 1
BULGARIA - 1
ESTONIA - 1
HUNGARY - 1
INDONESIA - 1
IRAN - 1
LATVIA - 1
LITHUANIA - 1
NEW ZEALAND - 1
QATAR - 1
SERBIA - 1
UKRAINE - 1
WEST GERMANY - 1
ZAMBIA - 1

English - 58
-------------------------
Russian - 18
French - 15

German - 15
Korean - 14
Japanese - 12
Mandarin - 8
Spanish - 5
Italian - 4

Norwegian - 4
Min Nan - 3

Portuguese - 3
American Sign Language - 2

Cantonese - 2

Estonian - 2

Greek - 2

Hebrew - 2

Kazakh - 2

Polish - 2

Swedish - 2
Bulgarian - 1

Catalan - 1

Danish - 1

Dutch - 1

Flemish - 1

Hungarian - 1

Indonesian - 1

Nyanja - 1

Romanian - 1

Serbian - 1

Slovak - 1

Yiddish - 1

And uh, as for stats go I think that's about it, at least when it comes to this presentation.

Favorite films of 2018 in no particular order (only chronological):
- Thelma (+ excellent OST)
- Charisma (not released this year)
- Hard To Be a God (not released this year)
- The Great Buddha+
- An Elephant Sitting Still
- Visitor of a Museum (not released this year)
- The Return (not released this year)
- Mandy (+ excellent OST)
- Luz (great, unique concept and execution for such a low-budget horror film)
- November
- Shoplifters
- Suspiria (+ excellent OST)
- High Life
- Long Day's Journey Into Night
- The House That Jack Built
- Burning
- 9 Souls (not released this year)

Films I absolutely hated, hated:
-
Mariphasa
- 24 Frames
- Mutant Blast (one of the worst films I've ever seen in my entire life, I cringed all the way through)

Films that were, unfortunately, pretty much a letdown/waste of time (wasn't exactly super looking forward to see ALL of these, but still):
- Mute
- Sweet Virginia
- The Villainess
- Like Me
- Elena
- The Endless
- We
- Hagazussa
- I Think We're Alone Now
- Hold The Dark
- Apostle
- Overlord
- Ray & Liz

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Thanks for the stats.

24 Frames
Hmm, I'm very interested in this movie. Kiarostami has a respectable body of work from what I've seen anyway (Certified Copy is my favourite from him), but I know 2 people who disliked this 'waste of time' movie, 24 frames.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Hmm, I'm very interested in this movie. Kiarostami has a respectable body of work from what I've seen anyway (Certified Copy is my favourite from him), but I know 2 people who disliked this 'waste of time' movie, 24 frames.
I think this was the first film I saw by him.

The reason I disliked the film is quite simple, really, but I'll still put it into spoilers in case you don't want to be too much "influenced" by it.

When I first saw the trailer, I was actually genuinely curious, and then I managed to win a couple of tickets to see in theaters, so I thought eh, why the hell not, so I went and saw it.

But to my horror, I quickly realized I hadn't noticed a tremendous deal-breaker for me that was all over the trailer:
All these beautiful "frames"/scenes, they're not real... pretty much all of them have 3D/post-production elements, and they're downright terrible.

Everything is so painfully fake and staged that it just hurt me all over.

- first clip on the trailer: the birds aren't "there", they were all added in post, and it's clear as day, everything sticks out like a sore thumb;
- same thing with all other elements: whether it's rain, snow or whatever, it's obviously a cheap "special effect" found online that was plastered all over the screen, and you can tell it's fake because they're all so bad... the animals too, all of them, as well as the sound effects.
- that shot of the car window being rolled down? That window is fake.

All in all, I was expecting these "24 frames" to actually be scenes that had a lot of thought and work put into them, I was expecting real, mind-blowing frames to look at, instead all I got was just a mix of very poor/cheap 3D elements, as well as sound effects/sound mixing in general...

I saw some comments saying how the director is probably rolling in his grave (I don't think he was alive to finish the film) and from what little I've seen I wouldn't doubt it in the least.

Like, I knew I was going to stare at these 24 shorts for 2-3mins each (and really, that was the only good thing about it, the fact that every "bad" frame was only going to last a short while), but having to look for all that time and witness just how poorly everything was assembled...

Also, some of those shorts were pretty much more of the same, 2 or 3 were nearly identical which made the whole thing even more purposeless and dreadful.

For me, it was a really, really bad experience. Anyone could find better effects/audio on youtube and make better, more believable compositions, and that's what made it particularly sucky and extremely bad/disappointing.

The animals, weather elements, sounds... it was all that bad, all so painfully fake and "not there", and I don't really understand how someone could make that and believe that it was an "ok" work.

Sorry for the ramble but that's what did it for me, absolutely dreadful way to spend 2 hours, but I'd rather watch that film again rather than Mutant Blast, that's for sure.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Forget what I said about Blackkklansman likely sticking it out as my favorite of the year - I still love it, but today I watched The Favourite and... well. That's definitely now my favorite, as it were.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Next time I get a chance to see a film it'll probably be either Green Book, Sorry to Bother You, A Simple Favor, Roma or Leave No Trace. Depending on my mood. Really would like to set aside a whole day or two and just watch all the ones with top priority but that's unlikely to happen anytime soon.. :darn
--- Double Post Merged, ---
Green Book: A solid 8 for the simple yet strong and effective story and dialogue. An additional ,5 for the exceptional performances and, most of all, chemistry between the two leads. Both Mortensen and Ali are at their best here. I want to see Farrelly do more films like this, mixing great comedy with a more powerful message.

Total: 8,5/10

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
but today I watched The Favourite and... well. That's definitely now my favorite
:heh

Also forgot to mention, but it was nice seeing some love for Shoplifters @Brandish : D
Unfortunately by best friend didn't like it as much (I might've overhyped it a bit), which is too bad. She still liked it a lot and said it's a great film, but she didn't "love it".

She did, however, quite like The House That Jack Built, which I went to see (again) with her yesterday, and yeah, she's of the same opinion that it wasn't THAT bad (the stuff that was said about the film/violence)...

Also, my first new film of the year was The World Is Yours, by Romain Gavras, which I saw 3 days ago.
Here is the teaser, released last year, which really got me interested:

Now, there's a few good reasons why I absolutely wanted to check out this film, especially given the vibe of this teaser.
If you don't know Romain Gavras, he has directed a few well-known music videos: I highly recommend "Stress", by Justice (discovered it last year), as well as "Born Free" by M.I.A. (you have to watch the uncensored version on Vimeo). Both are NSFW.

Especially the "Born Free" music video, you really have to give it a watch, because it's thanks to that music video that he went on to make "Notre Jour Viendra"/"Our Day Will Come", his first feature film which I really liked.

So with The World Is Yours being his 2nd film, I just had to watch it, and unfortunately it was pretty much disappointing.
There's still a charm to it, and some of his directorial trademarks (visuals, use of music, etc., I mean from the teaser alone you can tell that there's a certain "aesthetic" to it) are clearly present, but unfortunately it wasn't enough.

It was still somewhat interesting, but at the end of the day it was just another story about drug deals/people double-crossing, even triple-crossing one another, where everyone has an angle/agenda of their own... it's just not something that we haven't seen before, so that made me sad.

As I said, I could feel the director's personal "touch", but it wasn't enough, because this film was nowhere near as "daring" and bold as Notre Jour Viendra, here's the trailer for it if anyone's curious, but be sure to check out "Born Free" first ;).

So yeah, as of today, I've seen 2 films so far, one of which was a rewatch. I only rewatched 4 films last year (in theaters) which really isn't much, but it would be nice if I could spend most of my theater money with new films!

What's everyone looking forward to as of now?

- I briefly considered seeing Panic Room in theaters, but Chris Stuckmann's review pretty much confirmed my suspicions, so I won't.
- I will be seeing Glass on the 17th for sure, probably the very first showing, really want to avoid getting spoiled. I'll be going in with very low expectations since I've read about people who have already seen the film (before the final cut, though) and said it was... not good, and I'll leave it at that. Hopefully it lives up to it, but I don't know, kinda anxious to be honest, but we'll see.
- I was thinking about going to see The Vanishing (with Gerard Butler), but it's already online and the score is kinda "meh", so if I watch it I'll probably do it at home, maybe.
- Finally, early February I'll get to see both The Favourite as well as Climax! Can't wait for those. I might also see Sunset, but so far it doesn't seem to be that good/interesting... we'll see when the time comes, but as of now it's not really something I have any desire to watch.
- Ash is Purest White in February as well, and then maybe The Prodigy, if it's good...? But something tells me it probably won't be, I don't know, there's no reviews/something to go on as of yet.
- Oh, I'm also quite curious with The Hole in The Ground...it's a horror film that will play at Sundance and that's already been acquired by A24, and if I understood correctly, it'll premiere on DIRECTV on January 31st, so there might be a good chance of it ending up online ahead of its March release date, but I don't know, judging from the synopsis alone it doesn't seem to be that original.

Not a lot of theater movies for now, so I'll try and watch some more at home, see if I can start January on a strong note :)

Any "movie resolutions" for 2019 for the rest of you? Movies you want to watch, are looking forward to, etc.?

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
I'll be doing re-watches this year of a lot of stuff I own or have on HD. Where I live most of the time doesn't provide the best internet access. And, I want to see if my opinion has changed.

Looking forward to:
  • Several anime movies I didn't get to see in time for the Top 10 game, like Spirited Away and Totoro. Got a lot of rec's from that game too.
  • Some rec's from this thread (Hard to be a God, Green Book, etc), and others I've missed last year such as Burning, A Star is Born etc.
  • The Police Academy franchise
  • Movies from specific filmmakers I was/am into - Jane Campion (Sweetie, In the Cut, An Angel at my Table, etc), Peter Weir (The Last Wave, Picnic at Hanging Rock, Dead Poets Society, etc), Bela Tarr (Werkmeister Harmonies, The Man from London, Satan's Tango (not sure I will do this one, but don't remember much of it either)), John Cassavetes (Gloria, A Woman Under the Influence).
  • Going thru the best from Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Seagal, Snipes, Willis.
Should kill some boredom.

Last edited:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Some rec's from this thread (Hard to be a God, Green Book, etc), and others I've missed last year such as Burning, A Star is Born etc.
:wtf
Hopefully you won't try and kill me if you don't like it:heh, but as I mentioned previously, it's not the kind of film someone would sit through if they're not enjoying it.

Bela Tarr (Werkmeister Harmonies, The Man from London, Satan's Tango (not sure I will do this one, but don't remember much of it either))
Oh yeah, Sátántangó is over 7 hours long...

I've always wanted to see The Turin Horse, and fortunately I asked my friend if she could let me borrow a Béla Tarr boxset that has it, along with Sátántangó, Werkmeister Harmonies and Damnation, which is the only Béla Tarr film I've seen so far and I really didn't like it, and that kinda "killed" some of the interest I had in checking out his films... but I think Harmonies and Horse are some of his best, and chances are I'm very likely to see them sometime this year, especially considering that I have the DVDs with me... might even watch them this month.

Going thru the best from Arnie, Stallone, Van Damme, Seagal, Snipes, Willis.
Should kill some boredom.
Have you seen JCVD?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1130988/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Oh yeah, Sátántangó is over 7 hours long...
It is, and it's not something I'll go through with unless I am ready for a slog. Everyone of his movies is slow too, and 7 hours of that requires effort. From memory there's no particular conclusion in terms of narrative, it's more for the experience of the world/character, how bleak/mundane things are. His movies are like that, they are negative in outlook imo. I'm interested/excited to see how I respond now though.

I don't have a box set either, just .avi/mp4 files : (

I really didn't like it, and that kinda "killed" some of the interest I had in checking out his films
Harmonies is my favourite, so naturally I would recommend it. But really, I like/d them all of the one's I've seen.

Have you seen JCVD?
Of course. It was a surprise how good this movie actually is, great opening scene. I'll likely be watching Bloodsport, Kickboxer (best dance scene :teehee ), Double Impact etc.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
It is, and it's not something I'll go through with unless I am ready for a slog. Everyone of his movies is slow too, and 7 hours of that requires effort.
Yeah, I don't think I could watch a 7h30mins long film in one sitting... I mean, it's true that Béla Tarr has retired and he doesn't have THAT many films, but I think I'll go with The Turin Horse first, and then Harmonies, and if I enjoy them somewhat then I'll be sure to check everything else, but chances are I might just stick with those other two.

Of course. It was a surprise how good this movie actually is, great opening scene. I'll likely be watching Bloodsport, Kickboxer (best dance scene :teehee ), Double Impact etc.
I actually haven't seen it, only a couple of scenes including the monologue one... when I first saw it (and many times afterwards, too) it made me cry, which was so damn unexpected from a movie/scene containing only Van Damme... absolutely crazy O: !

edit:

Oh, and speaking of Béla Tarr, a while ago I was looking up some more things regarding that one film I really liked, An Elephant Sitting Still, and coincidentally I found a video where Béla Tarr actually introduced the film before a showing (at a film festival, perhaps?) and man, it made me really sad because I could tell that Tarr was absolutely devastated, because he had met the young director of the film, who unfortunately took his own life shortly after the film was made...

So yeah, if you feel like it's up your alley, that's another one I would really recommend. It's a "heavy" film for sure, but I think it really deserves a try... it's also already online in good quality last time I checked, if you need help finding it I'll point you in the right direction ;x

Last edited:

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Golden Globes winners

Bohemian Rhapsody - Best Picture, Drama? :nah Rami Malek deserves his win though.

Green Book is a great film and I can see that it would win Best Comedy/Musical, but I really think The Favourite should’ve beaten it in the Screenplay category. Rewatched the latter film with my wife yesterday and it’s just such a cleverly written film. So glad at least Olivia Colman got the win for her role, best performance in ages. :nod

Mahershala Ali definitely was great in Green Book. His whole physical performance, the poise and authority he carries himself throughout the film and the underlying suppressed emotion which only really surfaces a few times makes it a great performance. Only seen Adam Driver out of the other nominees so far though.

Spider-Verse won Best Animated Picture. Even though I haven’t seen it, this makes me so happy, though I really did like Isle of Dogs and thought it deserved the win as well. It’s just so good to see an animated comic book film win big awards and be considered more than “a good film for the geeks” for once.

And with Roma winning Best Director and Best Foreign picture, I really need to see this soon. Been meaning to for a couple of weeks now..

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
神のごとし / Kami no Gotoshi / Godlike
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay so I'm going to be keeping a list of films I've seen this year. Trying to be like you @Eigengrau :wowsoBOB

So far I've seen The Favourite, which was such a funny and well acted film. The cast were perfect; from Olivia Colman to Nicholas Hoult. I just love Olivia Colman, she's so brilliant and I'm also glad she got a win last night at the Golden Globes.

I'll give this a 9/10.

Next film I've got tickets for is Green Book. After this month I'll see if I can invest in a membership for the year. Would probably work out a lot cheaper if I plan on going cinema quite a lot this year.

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall
Okay so I'm going to be keeping a list of films I've seen this year. Trying to be like you @Eigengrau :wowsoBOB
:super

I'm learning from "past mistakes" and this year I'm already adding stuff as I go along, such as total runtime of films and whatnot, instead of having to add everything at the end of the year and make sure I don't mess up somehow.

But it's a shame I didn't find a decent pie-chart maker online, really wanted to have a "visual" chart :/

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:super

I'm learning from "past mistakes" and this year I'm already adding stuff as I go along, such as total runtime of films and whatnot, instead of having to add everything at the end of the year and make sure I don't mess up somehow.

But it's a shame I didn't find a decent pie-chart maker online, really wanted to have a "visual" chart :/
I've actually just got this app which lets you keep a list of "To Watch" and "Watched" movies. I'll have a play at it and see how it works.

Brandish μ

Can you?
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
Saw You Were Never Really Here finally.

It's about a traumatised and suicidal man, Joe, played by Joaquin Phoenix who gives another great perfomance. He is a hired gun who saves girls from the sex slave industry (flashbacks show how he got there). The music is done by Jonny Greenwood, second time he has worked on a Lynne Ramsay movie.

It was a little less action-y than the trailer suggested. In fact, this movie was a dick tease for violence. Probably best displayed at the end of the last action sequence, when Joe couldn't get release we both wanted, so it was subversive, and with meaning. The scene in question showed Joe not get his fix, then break down. So essentially these acts of violence are coping mechanisms, and Phoenix brings his A-game here to flesh the idea out. Which begs the question, do we viewers seek violence in films for coping/needy reasons?... well I loved this scene.

The end passage at a diner included a suicidal imagining (which reminded me of The Piano, if I count the water burial as well). We don't get closure on this, but we get the feeling he is trying to hold on to something. I can't decide yet if I would like to know more, or think about it on my own.

Anyways, it was a tough watch but one of the better movies I've seen lately.

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I saw Green Book on Wednesday.

Dr Don Shirley is a world-class African-American pianist, who is about to embark on a concert tour in the Deep South in 1962. In need of a driver and protection, Shirley recruits Tony Lip, a tough-talking bouncer from an Italian-American neighbourhood in the Bronx. Despite their differences, the two men soon develop an unexpected bond while confronting racism and danger in an era of segregation.
I think for the topic the film was trying to address, the balance comedy and drama was so well done; usually movies screw this up and the film ends up being more dramatic than it ought to be. I guess for the reason for it in this instance is likely to do with Tony (Viggo Mortensen) and Don's( Mahershala Ali) relationship being the driving force of the film, than the issues going on around them.

The comedy in it so good, I won't say much about it but man, the casting were great for this. I don't think I've ever seen either actors in comedic roles or moments, so I didn't know they had that in them.
Some moments were tough to watch personally, because of race and personal experiences but the movie does a good job of not letting you drown in those moments; you really get to appreciate the musician that Don Shirley was; especially if like me, you never really knew much about him.

Someone described this film as a reverse Driving Miss Daisy but I've never seen it, so I can't compare.

9/10

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden

I think for the topic the film was trying to address, the balance comedy and drama was so well done; usually movies screw this up and the film ends up being more dramatic than it ought to be. I guess for the reason for it in this instance is likely to do with Tony (Viggo Mortensen) and Don's( Mahershala Ali) relationship being the driving force of the film, than the issues going on around them.

The comedy in it so good, I won't say much about it but man, the casting were great for this. I don't think I've ever seen either actors in comedic roles or moments, so I didn't know they had that in them.
Some moments were tough to watch personally, because of race and personal experiences but the movie does a good job of not letting you drown in those moments; you really get to appreciate the musician that Don Shirley was; especially if like me, you never really knew much about him.

Someone described this film as a reverse Driving Miss Daisy but I've never seen it, so I can't compare.

9/10
Agree on all points. Very successful on everything it wanted to say. Rewatched it with my wife a couple of days too and the two leads are so entertaining to watch that it holds up even on a “few-days-later”-reviewing.

It was also very impressive to watch both performances considering the last films I saw them in were Captain Fantastic and Moonlight, where they play so utterly different roles compared to this film. Fantastic actors, the both of them.

Last edited:

Eigengrau

Reaction score
Country
The Wall

I think for the topic the film was trying to address, the balance comedy and drama was so well done

Had no idea that this was a "comedy" as well, even IMDb has it tagged as such. That's something that went completely over my head but then again I can't say this was a film I had interest in seeing.

Rewatched it with my wife a couple of days too and the two leads are so entertaining to watch that it holds up even on a “few-days-later”-reviewing.

Doesn't it feel "weird" for you to rewatch a film so soon (unless in this case your wife hadn't seen it before so you rewatched it with her)?

Personally, I don't think there's a movie I wouldn't mind watching two days in a row (or in the same week or something) not even my favorite ones (unless I had a chance of seeing them in theaters or something, but even then I don't know).

Usually I'd rather spend my time watching something new rather than something I've already seen before, although rewatches do happen occasionally if I find them worth it, that's why last year there were only 4 for me and they were all theater showings (Eraserhead, The Captain, 3 Billboards and Stalker) that I went to with friends that hadn't seen any of those.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I mean last week I rewatched The House That Jack Built in theaters but only after 6 weeks when I first saw it. While the movie was definitely well-crafted and surprisingly entertaining, I think watching it again so soon might've ruined some of my enjoyment, with me not having enough time to digest it.

But yeah, I can see how it would vary from film to film, and with the film having "comedic" elements I can see how everyone in general would be more receptive to that kind of emotion.

:cookiehand

I recently watched the unofficial "Provincial Trilogy" (thematic only) that's comprised of the first 3 films by Nuri Bilge Ceylan, a Turkish director.
I had never seen any of his films (although I've had a couple on my watchlist for the longest time) so I decided to start chronologically 3 days ago so that I would be up to date yesterday to catch a showing of the 3rd one in theaters.

This wasn't "necessary" seeing as they're mostly independent from one another, but y'know. The 3 films are:
- Kasaba/The Town (1997)
- Clouds of May (1999)
- Uzak (2002)

With Kasaba, I'll admit I was kinda bored. It's one of those films where you kinda get the intention and what the director was going for but still. Like, the film is only 1h25mins, but from the 35mins mark until pretty much the very end of the film, there's only "one" scene, where a family sits around a fire in the forest and they just talk about a bunch of things, which aren't particularly interesting.

Yes, you kinda get the "underlining" messages, but I felt like it wasn't much, at least not for me. But it was watchable, and I'm willing to give it a pass (sounds kinda obnoxious saying this but I don't mean it that way) because it was the director's first feature film.
Things got better with the following one, Clouds of May. It's a longer film at 2h10mins, but it's also slightly meta: in the film, there's a character/director (probably meant to be the real-life director?) who's trying to shoot a film (so a film within a film) that happens to be Kasaba. This 2nd film includes all the actors from the first one, including the actual real parents of the director that starred in both films (and in a few other films of his).

So as you can probably tell already, there's a lot of somewhat meta, autobiographical stuff going on. I mean it's interesting sure, but at the same time I don't know.

Still, despite all the meta stuff and the connections to Kasaba, I felt like this was more of a "film" than its predecessor.
Finally, I might be biased in saying this because beyond the fact that I saw the 3rd one in theaters, I also believe the copy I saw was a restored one, but the difference in film quality from Clouds of May to Uzak was immediately apparent. Sure, 3 years elapsed IRL between the release of these two films, but still, I was immediately pleased with the look and feel, because it [his films] started to look more like a film/story is supposed to.

So yeah, it was definitely more enjoyable, even though not much happens. There's a lot of references to Tarkovsky in this film (there's even a scene where the characters are watching Stalker on tv), but I honestly can't really compare the two of them. Was the director ever called "the Turkish Tarkovsky"? I have no idea, though it wouldn't surprise me.

The big difference for me is that Ceylan's films are pretty much "glimpses" of every day life... at least the films of his that I saw so far. Yes, they also include "dreams" and other strange things, but they never quite get into that particular Tarkovsky territory, if you catch my drift.

Even tough his films got progressively better as I watched them, I don't know if I'm ready to sit through the rest of his films. He only has 8 in total, so that's 5 left for me, but 2 of those are over 3 hours long and that's quite a commitment.

For what it's worth, all of his films seem to be highly acclaimed and very well rated. His most recent one, The Wild Pear Tree, was actually shown at the film festival I attended back in November, but I decided not to watch it because I figured I probably wouldn't be able to enjoy it without having seen any of films beforehand.

While the film will premiere in theaters around here a couple of weeks from now, I think I'll probably watch it at home (I mean the blu-ray is already online soooooo....)

Has anyone seen any of his films?
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0149196/?ref_=tt_ov_dr

If anyone has I'd like to hear some opinions/thoughts.

Question for those who have seen Nymphomaniac: I've never seen the films, but soon there will be a showing of the director's cut, and I'm wondering if it's worth the $ and time... time especially, seeing as the runtime is 5h30... that would surely be the longest showing I've been to.

Organizized

Pirate King in the North
Scavenger Hunter Supreme
Reaction score
Country
Sweden
Had no idea that this was a "comedy" as well, even IMDb has it tagged as such. That's something that went completely over my head but then again I can't say this was a film I had interest in seeing.

Doesn't it feel "weird" for you to rewatch a film so soon (unless in this case your wife hadn't seen it before so you rewatched it with her)?

Personally, I don't think there's a movie I wouldn't mind watching two days in a row (or in the same week or something) not even my favorite ones (unless I had a chance of seeing them in theaters or something, but even then I don't know).

Usually I'd rather spend my time watching something new rather than something I've already seen before, although rewatches do happen occasionally if I find them worth it, that's why last year there were only 4 for me and they were all theater showings (Eraserhead, The Captain, 3 Billboards and Stalker) that I went to with friends that hadn't seen any of those.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it, I mean last week I rewatched The House That Jack Built in theaters but only after 6 weeks when I first saw it. While the movie was definitely well-crafted and surprisingly entertaining, I think watching it again so soon might've ruined some of my enjoyment, with me not having enough time to digest it.

But yeah, I can see how it would vary from film to film, and with the film having "comedic" elements I can see how everyone in general would be more receptive to that kind of emotion.

Actually I’m very much like that as well. Even my absolute favorite films I won’t watch more often than once every couple of years. But yes, in this case (and The Favourite, and soon probably Blackkklansman) I watched them without my wife first because she hadn’t expressed any interest in them, and then she did when I liked them so much. :XD Usually she’s the kind of person who will watch one new film every year and the rest just be rewatches, while I want to watch every new film that comes out.. :cookiehand But this year she wants to join me in the year-end-watching. :nod

goldb

Strongest Under the Sun
Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There are films I've seen a couple of times within a few days of each other. I saw Black Panther, Infinity War, Force Awakens, all within a few days because I either went with a group then with one person after.

It does feel...weird watching it so soon though. It's not something I make a habit of, just situational.