Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
A better example of a cult following is Chinyūki which despite being canned after 5 volumes due to content left enough of an impression to make a sequel, an flash anime and a live action series.
Dude, Chinyuki is way bigger than cult. It was a huge deal, and its cancellation was more complex than most, due to Man☆Gataro’s controversial brand of comedy. Hence why it had so much stuff after the fact, and it’s treated as such by Shueisha, doing stuff like the crowdfunded Baba statue for Festa.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Mainstream/general audience are the hardest audience to appeal to because 9 times out of 10 they won't even read the manga and just watch the anime even series like Detective Conan, Doraemon and Shin-chan despite its mainstream appeal gets outsold by Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom? Who do you think are buying new HxH volumes? Surely not casuals.
Well Doraemon has more sales than Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom combined I believe its over 100mln and also Im unsure if there are even volumes still coming out so I dont think you using it as a comparison makes sense, except to say that doraemon did appeal to general audiences. Quite sure the same is true of Conan and perhaps Shin-chan, so I still dont understand your use of them, and the implication that these anime series havent mobilzed people to buy them.

Didnt Kingdom explode after going on a mainstream channel talk show as well, again suggesting that it appeals to general audiences, and not the traditional crowd.

And that is wrong. You literally have no basis for thinking this way other than saying that the all those manga sell to the same groups of people, not everyone who reads One Piece is an advent manga reader to begin with, not everyone who reads Shingeki also reads OP, that's such a vapid statement to make in regards to manga buyers. A manga call sell over 700k per volume and people can still be a niche amongst general audience or people might not have even heard of it. Also nobody here even said Kimetsu would sell within that range after the anime but then again anything is possible with the boost Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan had this decade.
No where did I even say people who read one piece read shingeki? I honestly dont know where you are pulling these statements from from anything I said. Unless I typed something wrong, theres nothing on this page that said I said that. I didnt even say anything about One Piece anywhere.

I dont understand your point for saying this:
A manga call sell over 700k per volume and people can still be a niche amongst general audience or people might not have even heard of it
Manga is already a niche, and fujo's are a niche of this niche, as not all manga fans are fujos. I am also quite sure in those demographic numbers occasionally posted that there has never been ANY manga where 100% of the ones interested in the specific series are females further suggesting that no series is ONLY being bought by traditionally viewed female fans interested in shipping characters (fujos).

Again do you really think ONLY fujos are buying Haikyuu or Kurobas.

Also nobody here even said Kimetsu would sell within that range after the anime but then again anything is possible with the boost Tokyo Ghoul and Attack on Titan had this decade.
Quite sure in your initial post on the matter you said you could see it exploding like Tokyo Ghoul (on the basis of doujin circles and events being held before the trailer was even released- which is strongly suggesting and highly implying that you are expecting it to get to their level (and corollary, on the basis that ONLY fujoshi are buying it)
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
no toc today?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Well Doraemon has more sales than Tokyo Ghoul and Kingdom combined I believe its over 100mln and also Im unsure if there are even volumes still coming out so I dont think you using it as a comparison makes sense
Are you playing dumb? I'm talking about the new volumes of Doraemon don't sell anywhere near to what TG is selling per volume.

except to say that doraemon did appeal to general audiences. Quite sure the same is true of Conan and perhaps Shin-chan, so I still dont understand your use of them, and the implication that these anime series havent mobilzed people to buy them.
None of those titles sell to teh current level of Kingdom and Tokyo Ghoul despite their status as being for general audience thus your argument falls apart.

No where did I even say people who read one piece read shingeki? I honestly dont know where you are pulling these statements from from anything I said. Unless I typed something wrong, theres nothing on this page that said I said that. I didnt even say anything about One Piece anywhere.
Your entire statement implies that manga that sells over 700k are getting more than just one group reading it which is false given the fact I gave three examples of manga for general audience that don't sell nearly as well as manga for niches.




Manga is already a niche, and fujo's are a niche of this niche, as not all manga fans are fujos. I am also quite sure in those demographic numbers occasionally posted that there has never been ANY manga where 100% of the ones interested in the specific series are females further suggesting that no series is ONLY being bought by traditionally viewed female fans interested in shipping characters (fujos).
The Manga industry is among the most largest comic industries in the entire world and makes up a significant chunk of Japan's domestic and import economy. How in the hell do you consider that a niche?

Again do you really think ONLY fujos are buying Haikyuu or Kurobas
Yes.Because even Shuiesha acknowledges that certain manga from them have readers that are majorly female.

Would you look at that? HQ is 1# on the female demographic.



Quite sure in your initial post on the matter you said you could see it exploding like Tokyo Ghoul (on the basis of doujin circles and events being held before the trailer was even released- which is strongly suggesting and highly implying that you are expecting it to get to their level (and corollary, on the basis that ONLY fujoshi are buying it)
So I never said anything of the sort and you're just talking out your ass like you always do.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Haikyuu was only on vol 2 in that demographic chart. You can't really use that to represent current readership.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Would you look at that? HQ is 1# on the female demographic.
Last I checked 66% is not 100%
Yes.Because even Shuiesha acknowledges that certain manga from them have readers that are majorly female.
Again, there is nothing that says all female fans are somehow fujos.
Your entire statement implies that manga that sells over 700k are getting more than just one group reading it which is false given the fact I gave three examples of manga for general audience that don't sell nearly as well as manga for niches.
Group as in type of fan, group as in male fan, female fan, fujo, not group As in One Piece readers buy Shingeki, Shingeki readers buy One Piece. I dont understand how you missed whre Ive been consistently differentiating between fujos and non fujos. I only asked you do you believe Fujos are the only people buying these high selling series, which youve consistently failed to answer adequately.

So I never said anything of the sort and you're just talking out your *** like you always do.
odd because you say exactly what I said right here "Quite sure in your initial post on the matter you said you could see it exploding like Tokyo Ghoul (on the basis of doujin circles and events being held before the trailer was even released-"
Kimetsu already has a significant following as it is right not, its not big but the fact that there's doujin circles and special events for it before the first trailer has been released says a lot about how anticpated it is. And manga tripling its numbers has been done MANY times before this decade and the anime doesn't have to be good (Tokyo Ghoul) you just need a hook Kimetsu has a hook that all those titles you mentioned didn't have.
you are saying Kimetsu is going to be big and youre implicitly stating it will explode like tokyo ghoul.

I didnt pull anything out of the nether regions, I quoted your exact post.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So, after 50 episodes... we can talk about how disappointing was Black Clover boost, no?

Still a 300k avg, even after an anime with 50 episodes.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
So, after 50 episodes... we can talk about how disappointing was Black Clover boost, no?

Still a 300k avg, even after an anime with 50 episodes.
Vol.18 still hasn't even broke 230k yet lol
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
So, after 50 episodes... we can talk about how disappointing was Black Clover boost, no?

Still a 300k avg, even after an anime with 50 episodes.
BLack Clover is in the top 10 of the year, and taking into account that it most likely is averaging 700K with digital sales, it is an unmitigated success.
 

Heiji

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 8, 2009
Messages
2,547
Reaction score
7,928
Gender
Male
Country
Japan
ハンタ休載だし今後取り締まりが厳しくなっていくかもしれないし辞めるならこのタイミングしかないなと思ったので引退しますよ
5ch tocs guy stop to post tocs from this week.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Either you post source or dont post at all
you can add the number from that one site iceemperor sempai posted and get the total BLack Clover sales and see that it aligns in the top 10 of the year for manga sales.
 

Avok

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 6, 2015
Messages
477
Reaction score
363
Gender
Male
Country
Avatar
Everything that could have gone wrong went wrong with the Black Clover anime. It's a total wreck outside of the occasional cut.
They missed the mark big time, and the awful state of the production is just another nail in the coffin.
Adaptations like Tokyo Ghoul were awful yet they managed to boost the manga counterpart though.
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
They missed the mark big time
Odd take to make considering its doing well money wise for the tv station.

Theres more ways to be a successful series than raw sales of a 5$ book.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BLack Clover is in the top 10 of the year, and taking into account that it most likely is averaging 700K with digital sales, it is an unmitigated success.
Lol, Black Clover doesn't sell 350k per volume in digital, stop lying to yourself.

If Black Clover was the only series available to buy digital, then i could understand your argument. Stop and think, if Black Clover sell 200k per volume in digital, then other series does that as well, Black Clover is not the "only special" who sells more than any other series in digital volumes.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Last I checked 66% is not 100%


I only asked you do you believe Fujos are the only people buying these high selling series, which youve consistently failed to answer adequately.
You've yet to prove that they aren't whereas there's evidence looking you right in the face and you choose to ignore it lke always


odd because you say exactly what I said right here "Quite sure in your initial post on the matter you said you could see it exploding like Tokyo Ghoul (on the basis of doujin circles and events being held before the trailer was even released-"
No I didn't. TG was just among the many examples I used for manga that had initial low print runs increased three times due to an anime adaptation. No where did I even say that would be the same for Kimetsu just that I believe that its boost will be bigger than Black Clover's.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top