Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoyoboyo

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 30, 2016
Messages
1,463
Reaction score
1,527
Country
United States
Pretty much the only pro of buying the volumes is the volume extras, which are pretty cute for Kimetsu, but not worth 6.99 lol
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
the two dudes fight each other and the MC wants to bang the chick, whats great about this chap?
Humor, character interactions, their personalities; it's the overall execution of the chapter despite being in a generic setting that makes it stand out.

Amazon digital sales ranking in 2018
https://manganimemalaysia.blogspot.com/2018/12/amazon-japan-2018-digital-comic-ranking.html

1. Shingeki no Kyojin
2. Dungeon Meshi
3. HxH
4.Kingdom
5. Golden Kamuy
6.Slime
7. Yuru Camp
8. Goblin Slayer
9. Made in Abyss
10. Nagi no Oitoma.

Sharkbait after not seeing Black Clover in the ranking
There is insurmountable evidence that strongly suggests and highly implies that BC digital sales were on another level that they took it off the list just to be fair to the remaining series.
Ya'll are underestimating the true king of shonen GENRE.
 

Trigunblitz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
28
Age
31
Country
United States
Chainsaw Man
I'm all in on this series. Chapter 1 was excellent, 2 was passable, 3 made me laugh harder than almost any manga I've read. If it can have that level of humor sprinkled into the graphic violent fantasy--I'd pick up physical copies of the series. We'll see how it keeps up over the next chapters.

Neolation
Fun enough. Passable. Good art. Something that I'll keep up with without too much enthusiasm.

Hell Warden
Not interested. Premise and power gimmick are decent enough, but the author clearly doesn't have enough mastery of narrative, character, panel layout, etc to keep my interest. I was skimming through it.

Knowing the SJ Japan audience, Hell Warden will be the first to go faster than Boze Beats (Which was much better imo), Neolation may be a mid to bottom dweller for a while. I struggle to see a lasting premise, but would like to see it stay around to develop. Chainsaw will be a keeper hopefully! I wonder what it will knock down if it stays. Seems like Yaiba has the most seinen-ish overlap, but I haven't read it yet.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
SJ VIZ vault is amazing. I'm about to get on a plane and downloaded the first 20 of Yaiba. The question is: Will it bring in enough revenue from converted pirates to justify it's existence? Personally, It allows me to read series like Yaiba for free that I was borderline on getting. My shelf is getting crowded, but charging 6.99 for a digital volume is also outrageous imo. The app is interestingly trying to sell me volume of the series I'm reading after each chapter....y tho? Why would I...pay for...what I'm reading for free...?

Regardless. Love the App and service it provides, even if it crashes a lot :)

Excited about the possibility of US manga going up for free on the app too. There is no reason not too. I may actually try myself and see if Viz bites.
Viz has ton of digital sale, keep a look out for those. they go down to 4$
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,938
Gender
Male
Country
United States
but charging 6.99 for a digital volume is also outrageous imo.
is it? With volumes having anywhere from 8 to 12 chapters, 6.99 is less than 1 dollar per chapter. I always felt that is what made digital books challenging, what is a price that people would consider "worth it?" To me less 1$ starts to feel a bit like a steal, but as an author I think Id feel kind of weird thinking something Id pour all my energy into for dozens of hours is only valued at 99cents.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Higuma was actually pretty good for the first chapter. I liked the art, the main characters were good, and the humor was nice. Some of the setup with the girl's brother was a bit cliche, but I'm willing to look through the next couple chapters
 

xAsum0x

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 4, 2014
Messages
1,763
Reaction score
1,582
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Higuma was actually pretty good for the first chapter. I liked the art, the main characters were good, and the humor was nice. Some of the setup with the girl's brother was a bit cliche, but I'm willing to look through the next couple chapters
Nani
 

savethecat

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 5, 2016
Messages
3,330
Reaction score
5,440
Age
33
Country
United States
I think $6.99 for digital is reasonable.

American comics can be up to $12 digitally, so $7 isn’t all that bad.

Lately I’ve been buying all my comics and manga digitally, simply because of space
 

OfficialHxH

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Sep 16, 2017
Messages
1,043
Reaction score
1,909
Country
United States
Kinda surprising the TOC isnt out yet.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
It should be? I thought this week we wouldn't get a issue
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Ever since the ToC guy "quit" it stopped coming on the usual time.
 

revo68

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 21, 2018
Messages
566
Reaction score
4,120
Age
32
Country
Singapore

For those who can''t see
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
According to Tieba MHA Season 4 will start in October 2019, and the manga reached 20 million volumes.

我的英雄学院动画4期 2019年10月放送
累计2000万

both make sense and pkjd reported it. now we wait for JF
 

CuriousReborn

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2013
Messages
638
Reaction score
990
Gender
Male
Country
Bahrain
Oh look Yonko is wrong again.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top