Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2018] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zanpan

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Jul 24, 2017
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
Country
Canada
Too bad World Trigger left before the double issue. I'm glad Ashihara is now working at a schedule that's more beneficial to his health (especially after reading his account of the hiatus), and that the story is even continuing at all, but it's a shame we'll never get another group cover with Kuga in it.
Where can I read his account?
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
That Asta

Though Midoriya looks kind of lifeless in this artstyle. Seems the game artstyle works for some characters and others it doesnt.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
Where can I read his account?
It was a feature in volume 19, so you can probably read it when Viz translates it, but a fan also translated it on their blog. They translate a lot of other World Trigger stuff too.

 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
It was a feature in volume 19, so you can probably read it when Viz translates it, but a fan also translated it on their blog. They translate a lot of other World Trigger stuff too.

is this really that translation or is something weird, as I dont understand why he would call himself a "trash author"

"But it worried me, considering my social standing as a trash author who had been on hiatus for close to a year."
-
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
is this really that translation or is something weird, as I dont understand why he would call himself a "trash author"

"But it worried me, considering my social standing as a trash author who had been on hiatus for close to a year."
-
I think this is just some sort of self deprecating thing because he felt bad about taking so much time off from the story, or maybe he saw some people say that about him on social media or something. It sounds like he just takes his job really seriously, and the fact that he couldn't work didn't sit well with him, I mean, he did work through the pain to the point that his condition got so bad he couldn't even go to the hospital.
 

PluemBNK48

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 21, 2018
Messages
90
Reaction score
283
Age
28
Country
Thailand
This week my hero academia : 11 pages
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
This week my hero academia : 11 pages
I wonder if Horikoshi realizes this isnt helping his social standing as an author at all. I hope Ashihara reaches out to him and tell him to take a six month hiatus or something.
 

Trigunblitz

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 4, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
28
Age
31
Country
United States
Pretty much the only pro of buying the volumes is the volume extras, which are pretty cute for Kimetsu, but not worth 6.99 lol
Actually they include those in the vault manga. You get bonus volume illustration at the end of each chapter. No color pages though -__-

Viz has ton of digital sale, keep a look out for those. they go down to 4$
That’s a price I’ll pay at. Probably pick a few up!

is it? With volumes having anywhere from 8 to 12 chapters, 6.99 is less than 1 dollar per chapter. I always felt that is what made digital books challenging, what is a price that people would consider "worth it?" To me less 1$ starts to feel a bit like a steal, but as an author I think Id feel kind of weird thinking something Id pour all my energy into for dozens of hours is only valued at 99cents.
Personally I’m not paying more than $4-5 for something that’s not physical that I consume in ~1hr. I can pay $6-9 for a movie ticket for two hours. I think of it like that. I think less than $3 a volume is a steal from the artist but then again at that price I’d have bought so many volumes by now...
 

Serinox

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2017
Messages
1,928
Reaction score
4,781
Country
Dragonstone
I wonder if Horikoshi realizes this isnt helping his social standing as an author at all.
His social standing where? In Japan? Pushing through even though you are troubled in your creative process and still delivering something to not disappoint the fans and to not trouble his employer is probably seen as good over there.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if Horikoshi realizes this isnt helping his social standing as an author at all. I hope Ashihara reaches out to him and tell him to take a six month hiatus or something.
Social standing? Dude, no. That’s a weird take at best.

Hiatuses, by and large, are best avoidedfor a creator. It can have a seres drop from the public consciousness, which is risky as heck when it’s your livelihood, to say nothing about the whole money thing.
Less pages is a middle-ground ideal. If he can keep himself in better condition doing less, and not put his work in jeopardy then it’s ideal. Unfortunate, but the better option
 

SharkBait

MH Senpai
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Aug 23, 2013
Messages
14,079
Reaction score
6,937
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Social standing? Dude, no. That’s a weird take at best.

Hiatuses, by and large, are best avoidedfor a creator. It can have a seres drop from the public consciousness, which is risky as heck when it’s your livelihood, to say nothing about the whole money thing.
Less pages is a middle-ground ideal. If he can keep himself in better condition doing less, and not put his work in jeopardy then it’s ideal. Unfortunate, but the better option
the series has an ongoing anime that makes yearly appearances, its highly unlikely that it would fall from public consciousness. Similarly, arent they on a salary type of situation, and with volumes still coming out and other residuals, it also doesnt seem likely he'd really take some type of significant financial hit for a half year or year long hiatus.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top