Discussion Hiatus X Hiatus

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
With a steady schedule of 20 chaps per year, i would be fine as long as togashi is able to uphold the quality.

That's better than having more chaps in a row but him having to take a full year break.
 

DDed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Sep 19, 2018
Messages
215
Reaction score
172
Age
29
Country
Vietnam
Jump force official website
(To whoever interested, we had mini update about Kurapika gameplay)
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---
Here's the thing I kinda confused a little bit:
I clearly understand that we are not gonna have a dolphin for Kurapika but I still don't know why Bandai didn't give us the Demon Yusuke
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
This time I feel really good about May. I think Togashi will return in May.
 

GL_Nova

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Sep 3, 2017
Messages
3,068
Reaction score
3,168
Age
37
Country
United States
Why doesn't he just storyboard and hire an artist?
 

shionoro

Mangahelper
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 7, 2011
Messages
3,750
Reaction score
1,477
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Why doesn't he just storyboard and hire an artist?
Because that is not so easy.
Imagine you are a popular singer. You write songs, you feel them, you sing them. You are great at it.

Then you get some throat problems that make singing harder. If you just write songs now and someone else sings them, you might just not feel it anymore. It drags your motivation down, fans might have been interested in YOUR voice, you have a hard time communicating just how to sing it to the new singer or mb do not even like how he sings it.

Togashi is good at drawing. People do not realize that he does a lot of very good stuff. He does not have a lot of detail like vagabond or berserk, but his action scenes, his poses, his panel structuring, his faces, all of these are top notch. A new artist could possibly not be able to convey what togashi can (and wants to) convey. Not even because he would be less competent, but because stuff like that is hard to communicate sometimes.
Togashi mjight lose his motivation completely because this was always his manga.
It would have to be someone he completely trusts, like his wife, but it isn't clear whether she is up for s th like that.

If Togashi can maintain 15-20 chaps a year, there is no reason to switch, as any switch is risky.
 

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
It just struck my like a bolt of lightning, and felt fittingly sharp to match.

So, I was contemplating HxH's second episode, the quiz scene. and it hit me watching Gon collapse to the ground debating about who he would save, his son or his daughter. He doesn't have them in reality, as everyone knows. But the heart of the question he understands. And he said he knew the quiz was over to the examiner. We were asking how Gon might return to the story. . . He's learned hardship and friendship from Kuropika, Killua and Leorio. And Kite taught him loss. Neferpitou taught him vengeance. Ging taught him about giant birds and a world tree. But I digress on that last bit.

Well? What happens when he is faced with that question? It would be a fitting move for a master writer like Togashi to bring Gon back to the first great dilemma presented to him at the manga's beginning to finish it. Knowing now what it will be like to lose someone, what will Gon's answer be? Obviously he isn't going to be rescuing his children, since he's still a child, body-wise at least. Mentally he is mature in all sorts of sad, seinen ways.

Mother or Father? what if he learns Ging is in trouble? But then learns something has happened to Mito? I swear, I still fully believe that thing around her neck is some kind of advanced collar. It looks way too suspicious. It would not surprise me to learn she has a role to play. Or perhaps it is time for Gon to learn where he came from and why Ging did not say a word about it. (Though given his personality I cannot imagine it being more than he just got tired of Gon's mother or she became fed-up and left with a slap to his face)

Or perhaps... between Kurapika, Leorio, and Killua? Maybe something comes to attack Killua, even while Gon is trying to rescue Kurapika and Leorio. It worries me. Because Two of those individuals are on that boat. And the passengers are currently deadlocked into acting out what looks more and more to be a horror script in a tragic Macbeth setting. Many are dead already. More are yet to die. Will perhaps Gon learn soon somehow of this danger?

And if not the boat, then it could be any two other people he loves at any time. And there is more than enough room to prepare for such a plot eventuality, especially if Togashi intended for this to happen down the road from the beginning, or even half-way. the set-up was there and the question asked. The proposition need merely be offered again: "You can save one or the other. Now choose!"

And it would make sense even more if this tied back to his lost Nen. Hate sealed it. Perhaps love will form the sword that frees it. But to what end? With such a question, the ultimate true answer is Sorrow.
 

MSofAofCOCA

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 28, 2010
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
664
Gender
Female
Country
United States
It just struck my like a bolt of lightning, and felt fittingly sharp to match.

So, I was contemplating HxH's second episode, the quiz scene. and it hit me watching Gon collapse to the ground debating about who he would save, his son or his daughter. He doesn't have them in reality, as everyone knows. But the heart of the question he understands. And he said he knew the quiz was over to the examiner. We were asking how Gon might return to the story. . . He's learned hardship and friendship from Kuropika, Killua and Leorio. And Kite taught him loss. Neferpitou taught him vengeance. Ging taught him about giant birds and a world tree. But I digress on that last bit.

Well? What happens when he is faced with that question? It would be a fitting move for a master writer like Togashi to bring Gon back to the first great dilemma presented to him at the manga's beginning to finish it. Knowing now what it will be like to lose someone, what will Gon's answer be? Obviously he isn't going to be rescuing his children, since he's still a child, body-wise at least. Mentally he is mature in all sorts of sad, seinen ways.

Mother or Father? what if he learns Ging is in trouble? But then learns something has happened to Mito? I swear, I still fully believe that thing around her neck is some kind of advanced collar. It looks way too suspicious. It would not surprise me to learn she has a role to play. Or perhaps it is time for Gon to learn where he came from and why Ging did not say a word about it. (Though given his personality I cannot imagine it being more than he just got tired of Gon's mother or she became fed-up and left with a slap to his face)

Or perhaps... between Kurapika, Leorio, and Killua? Maybe something comes to attack Killua, even while Gon is trying to rescue Kurapika and Leorio. It worries me. Because Two of those individuals are on that boat. And the passengers are currently deadlocked into acting out what looks more and more to be a horror script in a tragic Macbeth setting. Many are dead already. More are yet to die. Will perhaps Gon learn soon somehow of this danger?

And if not the boat, then it could be any two other people he loves at any time. And there is more than enough room to prepare for such a plot eventuality, especially if Togashi intended for this to happen down the road from the beginning, or even half-way. the set-up was there and the question asked. The proposition need merely be offered again: "You can save one or the other. Now choose!"

And it would make sense even more if this tied back to his lost Nen. Hate sealed it. Perhaps love will form the sword that frees it. But to what end? With such a question, the ultimate true answer is Sorrow.
I think there will definitely be a callback to that exam question eventually, but atm I think Kurapika is on the chopping block for it: Get revenge on the prince that ordered the massacre of his tribe or save Wobble's (an undeniably innocent) life.
 

Copy Panda

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 1, 2015
Messages
4,533
Reaction score
21,693
Gender
Female
Country
China
I don't think we'll be seeing Gon for a couple of years. I hope not, tbh. Would be so cliche for Gon to show up and deal with princes
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think we'll be seeing Gon for a couple of years. I hope not, tbh. Would be so cliche for Gon to show up and deal with princes
I don't mind a little cliche in a manga. I miss Gon and Killua, these new characters aren't grabbing me.
 

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
Catering to consumers means is the death of art, so I hope he doesn't allow himself to be influenced
Thank you. No truer words spoken.

And I for one consider this arc the best of HxH. The earlier arcs were gold. This one is glowing rare metals from the Dark Continent!
 

thedude

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 28, 2014
Messages
2,256
Reaction score
3,045
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Thank you. No truer words spoken.

And I for one consider this arc the best of HxH. The earlier arcs were gold. This one is glowing rare metals from the Dark Continent!
Doesn't rank in my top arcs. I think my ranking would be:

York Shin (i see this called Yorknew now...i don't like it! lol)
Hunter Exam
Greed Island
Chimera
Heavens Arena (i include the "go get Killua" in this arc)
Chairman selection

Boat Trip (incomplete)

I put it last because a) it's not done, and b) it is committing the sin of "tell" not "show". It's a manga, but half the pages have been seemingly been taken up by explanations and thought bubbles from characters who are just introduced and then forgotten 4 chapters later (2 years in real time...).

Maybe it will read better when complete, but right now, it's very "meh" and "maybe should have ended it after Gon visited Ging on the tree...")
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Doesn't rank in my top arcs. I think my ranking would be:

York Shin (i see this called Yorknew now...i don't like it! lol)
Hunter Exam
Greed Island
Chimera
Heavens Arena (i include the "go get Killua" in this arc)
Chairman selection

Boat Trip (incomplete)

I put it last because a) it's not done, and b) it is committing the sin of "tell" not "show". It's a manga, but half the pages have been seemingly been taken up by explanations and thought bubbles from characters who are just introduced and then forgotten 4 chapters later (2 years in real time...).

Maybe it will read better when complete, but right now, it's very "meh" and "maybe should have ended it after Gon visited Ging on the tree...")
Just curious: have you been reading the fan scans or official translation?

Edit: "4 chapters later (2 years in real time...)"

During the entirety of the voyage proper (2016-2019), this has never been true, unless I'm misunderstanding you.
 
Last edited:

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
@thedude :

Of all the arcs the Chimera Ant arc narrates and tells without showing, or at least makes the pretense of doing so on the basis of indulging in combat analysis while the fights are in motion. It was one reason I didn't care for it at first until I realized the purpose was a critique on human nature, and thus was meant to be cerebral rather than thrilling blockbuster.

Contrary to this, the boat arc has been like a novel, I do understand where you're coming from there, and you're not completely wrong. However, just because there is a lot of text means nothing, by itself. I mean, I'm specifically referencing dialogue. Characters interacting, talking and monologuing to themselves about their goals and such, or arguing/warring with their desires (like with Zhang Lei) is the very definition of showing. And honestly, telling is just as important as showing to story-crafting. In fact it's essential and when something shows more than tells, you end up with stories like Fafner in the Azure anime, where most people are left scratching their heads.

I mean, yeah, the boat arc has lots of dialogue and explanation, and I do agree with you that it could definitely be trimmed to suite certain tastes, but I really don't think that it is constructed as categorically as a story lacking presentation of its themes and plot. Everything is constantly in motion with the dialogue. It's just giving us a more realistic approach by actually including the arguments people in real life would have while under such circumstances, I think. There's always a few paragraphs here and there that seem like padding.

But HxH is a tactical story to start with. Strategy is important. And combine that with Murder/Mystery/Assassination/Politics, and you're in for LOTs of in-character scheming. That requires lots of text. Lots of it. Doesn't matter if it's showing pictures or not.

Frankly it comes down to taste I guess. For me, the boat arc encapsulates HxH's essence, only surpassed by the initial Hunter Exam arc, which is still the best. It did somehow strike the balance between wit and action. The boat's the same, just far, far more of both. And this is assuming the action grows apocalyptic later. I would assume so (Cuz rewatching the Yorkshin arc has me tearing out my beard over the prophesies. We got one down with Shizuku offering to keep Chrollo company, which was the initiation of her foreseen downfall. The others are soon to surely follow). . .

Sorry for the rant, It's not meant to be, no, it's definitely more me putting my own analysis into it. But maybe that makes your point for you, thedude? Zehahahah! After all it's a lot of text!

On a completely different note: does anyone think that maybe the initiation for the prophesies regarding the Phantom Troupe were initiated because of Hisoka's death, or because they are coming into contact with the Shinigami (Kuropika) again? I mean, I know in context that yes, the prophesies are 100% accurate, but avoidable in certain cases. But the Phantom Troupe's versions seem rather morbidly set in stone, and very, very lyrical. The other fortune we saw with the mafia boss was awful accurate and easy to understand, requiring minimal interpretation. But he requested specific fortunes regarding events near at hand. In Chrollo's case, he wrote fortunes that weren't explicit and thus hard to properly interpret.

The thing is though, didn't the Lovely Ghost Writer only present a 3-week time period? Because it's been waaaay longer than 3 weeks, but the fortunes are already in motion... hence my question. Is the prophecy triggered by something, say, and when that trigger is avoided, it rests, but then activates upon the trigger's return, like a lightswitch opening or closing the.... err... (Gon moment) circuit?
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
On a completely different note: does anyone think that maybe the initiation for the prophesies regarding the Phantom Troupe were initiated because of Hisoka's death, or because they are coming into contact with the Shinigami (Kuropika) again? I mean, I know in context that yes, the prophesies are 100% accurate, but avoidable in certain cases. But the Phantom Troupe's versions seem rather morbidly set in stone, and very, very lyrical. The other fortune we saw with the mafia boss was awful accurate and easy to understand, requiring minimal interpretation. But he requested specific fortunes regarding events near at hand. In Chrollo's case, he wrote fortunes that weren't explicit and thus hard to properly interpret.

The thing is though, didn't the Lovely Ghost Writer only present a 3-week time period? Because it's been waaaay longer than 3 weeks, but the fortunes are already in motion... hence my question. Is the prophecy triggered by something, say, and when that trigger is avoided, it rests, but then activates upon the trigger's return, like a lightswitch opening or closing the.... err... (Gon moment) circuit?
I think the fortunes were null and void, but Togashi decided to have, in one case so far, Shalnark's end be eerily similar to his fortune. Given how Shizuku's read, I could see him doing something with that as well.

 

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
I disagree fully. The fortunes, aside from Uvo's death, do not in any way match up with Yorkshin, but are perfectly coinciding with the Succession Voyage. Especially the stuff about specific moons quietly rising... Illumi is the new 11th? Or 9th? There's more up.

Also, Hisoka is definitely the true Deathbringer. Kuropika was angry, but he was not anything close to one that would not stop.

I just realized.

:8C

Hisoka. :facepalm :facepalm:facepalm

Hisoka knows the fortunes. And that means he can fulfill them all. One by one. He is the trigger. He is the true prophesy. They will come true because the one in whom is vested the destiny of fulfilling them was blessed with their reading. Now he knows what to do. And has the will and desire to do it. . .

With intricate grace doth the gears of fate spin their clockwork dance.

Togashi got us good with this. Those fortunes were basically foreshadowing and Hisoka's assassination briefing. :jawdrop2 4D chess again. Dang it that Togashi!
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
I wouldn't look into it that much, but it's a nice thought.
 

Admiral Teach

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2017
Messages
1,431
Reaction score
2,072
Country
Water Tribe
Ask yourself this. Would Hisoka look into it? :3c
 
Top