I saw Angel's Egg twice in 3 days, last December. I don't often do it, but it didn't bother me.
Oh I know that one, really want to watch that. I might be confusing things but I believe that's one of Elijah Wood's favorite films, and also one of the reasons why he supported Panos (Mandy) so much... I think that's what I read but I could be wrong.
No, but I'm fairly interested in them now based on your description.
Any film in particular, or the whole thing in general?
As I said, I already had a couple of films on my watchlist, such as
Once Upon a Time in Anatolia which is tagged as "crime" so I'm thinking that might be more intriguing and interesting (despite, I believe, it also being based on true events close to the director), but yeah this is one of those cases where I don't think it might be entirely necessary to watch his films in chronological order, although that might help you get a sense of his approach early on and whatnot.
I mean, the director even stars alongside his wife in one of his films, I think, so it's abit weird and definitely author-like. But umm, yeah at the moment I feel like I could just roll with the next one, we'll see.
This is a tough question, this is a polarising movie (both parts) from what I can gather, though this is somewhat expected from Von Trier's moves as discussed re: House that Jack built. I'm like on the fence about the movies, and I know people who love them. 5.5hrs is a long time... lol.
That's the thing... I've only seen Antichrist and Jack. At the time Nymphomaniac didn't really appeal to me because all I heard/saw was "it's just gratuitous sex"... Antichrist at least had intriguing visuals and weird stuff going on, you know? Slightly more fantastic and supernatural.
But the timing is curious because just a few days ago I was talking to a friend (who saw/enjoyed Melancholia and Nymphomaniac) and telling him to go and watch The House That Jack Built, because he would probably like it as well.
I'm gonna have to ask him if he saw the extended editions. If not, him and his gf might be interested in going to see it with me, but I reckon 5h30 of film time might also make them think it over.
It's a very long time for sure... I mean, 7 euros for the "experience"/watching 2 films in a movie theater is quite cheap and worth it, but I don't know.
If they're up for it, I might as well, but if not I'll have to do some very profound soul-searching, ha, not so much because of the runtime but rather the actual films in question. We'll see.
One one hand, it's not like there's a ton of movies I'll be seeing in theaters this month.
Glass might be the only one, I think (will be seeing it on the 17th, probably the very first screening I can find), so money wouldn't really be the issue here.
I get it that watching Nymphomaniac wouldn't be the same as watching a "slow" film like Tarkovsky's or whatever, but 5h30 is a runtime that anyone is bound to feel at some point, whether they're enjoying the film or not.