Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
If it’s any consolation for Isamu not being on the special cover for the 40th anniversary, for the 45th it got some GLORIOUS reprints as a major part of the celebrations!

 

Ctkk

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 8, 2019
Messages
692
Reaction score
874
Country
Highgarden
I went to the 2015-2016 thread to see if I could find first month sales for the last volume of Assasination Classroom and I found BC vs MHA arguments and rants about Youtubers XD. Guess times haven't changed so much after all.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,301
Reaction score
7,339
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Yeah I've frequented here for a few years now (lurking as a guest at first) and this topics had occasional multi-page arguments for a while. It's better now honestly, now that certain users are gone we don't seem to get BC vs MHA arguments going on for 100+ posts.

Anyways I wonder how long it'll be before Soma gets replaced. Seems like they'll do some oneshots first before a new manga arrives.

When was the last single series batch we got? Was Zumou the last time we only got one new manga on its own?
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
Best Blue (swimming manga) came alone
so did Buddy Strike (baseball manga from Blue Flag's Kaito)
 

4Eyes

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2015
Messages
403
Reaction score
649
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Astra - Lost in Space : Volumes 1-5 : 1 000 000.

Wow ~200k per volume is huge for a jump+ series without anime. Hope the anime is good and give it some boost.

Edit: I don't think any of this are breaking news but I don't think anyone brought this info here either so here are some details about Kanata no Astra anime. I've got this on Mal forums:


Director: Masaomi Andou (Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, White Album 2)
Character designs: Keiko Kurosawa (Asobi Asobase, Assassination Classroom)
Main Chief Animation Director: Keiko Kurosawa(Kuzu no Honkai)
Mechanical Design: Hiroshi Arisawa (Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans mechanical animation director)
Prop Design: Hiroyuki Honda (Shichisei no Subaru)
Space Creature Design: Tomohito Hirose(Radiant)
Art Director: Masatoshi Kai (Goblin Slayer)

OP: "Star*frost" by nonoc
ED: "Glow at the Velocity of Light" by Riko Azuna

1st ep will be an one-hour special and the it starts at July 3rd.
No information about episode count.
 
Last edited:

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Astra was barely able to do ~30k for its final volume so its preparation for the anime. I'm surprised how much support a 30k seller has & an completed one at that.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Kimetsu no yaiba was almost in discline, first vol 1 were even in "?". It had one of the toughest start
Kimestsu truly was a lucky one. The readers' perception and popularity must've reached the editors right before the first volume's sales figures did. It's pretty rare nowadays for a series that sells like that to get the benefit of the doubt to keep going.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Kimestsu truly was a lucky one. The readers' perception and popularity must've reached the editors right before the first volume's sales figures did. It's pretty rare nowadays for a series that sells like that to get the benefit of the doubt to keep going.
Spider family arc saved it (volume 4 and onwards is where it got its boost)

It was satisfying seeing the series get a boost with each volume release. At one point, I remember all the previous volumes would get backlog when a new volume release would happen.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

-00s: The age of Luffy. The main surprise to me is how in second level, the one relevant figure together with Naruto isn't Ichigo, but Yugi (totally deserved, btw. Yu-Gi-Oh in early 00s was HUGE). You can also see in the cover Death Note, Prince of Tennis, Hikaru no Go, Takeshi, BoBoBo, and Shaman King (when it wasn't Shueisha banned). Surprisingly no HxH, Eyeshield21, D.Gray-man, Gintama, or Hitman Reborn there.
Do we have any idea on how big Yugioh was as a franchise (manga/anime/TCG/etc) in the early 2000's? I would imagine the TCG is huge but I want to know how huge. Yugioh must've been one of the biggest franchise for sure, maybe rivaling OP in franchise sales.

BTW, wouldnt Luffy fall into the late 90s...OP was a insta hit.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Kimestsu truly was a lucky one. The readers' perception and popularity must've reached the editors right before the first volume's sales figures did. It's pretty rare nowadays for a series that sells like that to get the benefit of the doubt to keep going.
The issue after the first week of Volume 1 release in WSJ (which was June 3-June 10). It was never in danger to be axed because of the sales.

Issue 28 (13-6-2016)
1. Boku no Hero Academia
2. Gintama
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Samon-kun wa Summoner
5. Shokugeki no Soma
6. HunterxHunter
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. Mononofu
9. PSI Kusuo Saiki
10. Nisekoi
11. Kochikame
12. Toriko
13. Bleach

Cover & Lead Color Page: Haikyuu!!
Color Page: Sesuji wo Pin! to〜Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso〜
Color Page: Black Clover
Color Page: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Absent: One Piece, World Trigger
Unranked: Takuan no Batsu
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
The issue after the first week of Volume 1 release in WSJ (which was June 3-June 10). It was never in danger to be axed because of the sales.

Issue 28 (13-6-2016)
1. Boku no Hero Academia
2. Gintama
3. Kimetsu no Yaiba
4. Samon-kun wa Summoner
5. Shokugeki no Soma
6. HunterxHunter
7. Hinomaru Zumou
8. Mononofu
9. PSI Kusuo Saiki
10. Nisekoi
11. Kochikame
12. Toriko
13. Bleach

Cover & Lead Color Page: Haikyuu!!
Color Page: Sesuji wo Pin! to〜Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso〜
Color Page: Black Clover
Color Page: Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san
Absent: One Piece, World Trigger
Unranked: Takuan no Batsu
Oh, alright then. I don't really know the first thing about Kimetsu besides for the fact that its first volume didn't sell that well initially, but now it's selling like hotcakes. Seeing that list makes me really miss Samon, Nisekoi, and Saiki...
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,121
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Taking advantage of the moment of the end of shokugeki no souma, the manga with the worst end in my opinion are:

Naruto
Reborn
Beelzebub

And an honorable mention for Fairy tail that even though I did not follow the series I'm sure I would be quite annoyed.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Oh, alright then. I don't really know the first thing about Kimetsu besides for the fact that its first volume didn't sell that well initially, but now it's selling like hotcakes. Seeing that list makes me really miss Samon, Nisekoi, and Saiki...
Same for all 3 even though I think Nisekoi overstayed its welcome.

Hoping their mangakas return soon, especially Samon's which I loved.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Same for all 3 even though I think Nisekoi overstayed its welcome.

Hoping their mangakas return soon, especially Samon's which I loved.
I'm pretty surprised he hasn't come back in some form or another, even if we take Jump+ into consideration. Take the guy who did Love Rush for example. Even though his first serialization, E-Robot, massively tanked in sales, they not only brought him back pretty quickly, but his next series even landed a full English official translation. Love Rush, as we all know, also bombed. But even after having 2 series get axed in under 15 chapters, he still came back soon after and is now finding decent success on Jump+ with another ecchi series where the MC is literally drawing "Love Robot" haha. You can tell he was really passionate about his prior works, but given that Numa Shun had more success with Samon, I wonder if he's just taking his time coming up with his next idea?
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
Astra was barely able to do ~30k for its final volume so its preparation for the anime. I'm surprised how much support a 30k seller has & an completed one at that.
Sale doesn't mean anything. If you go by revenue alone, then Avatar would be the best movie ever (lmao).

Astra is a critical darling, won Manga Taisho and ranked third in Kono Manga ga Sugoi. It definitely deserves that much support.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I'm pretty surprised he hasn't come back in some form or another, even if we take Jump+ into consideration. Take the guy who did Love Rush for example. Even though his first serialization, E-Robot, massively tanked in sales, they not only brought him back pretty quickly, but his next series even landed a full English official translation. Love Rush, as we all know, also bombed. But even after having 2 series get axed in under 15 chapters, he still came back soon after and is now finding decent success on Jump+ with another ecchi series where the MC is literally drawing "Love Robot" haha. You can tell he was really passionate about his prior works, but given that Numa Shun had more success with Samon, I wonder if he's just taking his time coming up with his next idea?
Wait, wait, wait. So Love Rush/E-Robot mangaka is behind Saotome Shimai Ha Manga no Tame Nara? I know it is one of the better selling Jump+ manga so good for him.

Numa Shun had a oneshot in GIGA months after Samon got cancelled (same year as well), but seems it was not recieved well enough for serialization.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Wait, wait, wait. So Love Rush/E-Robot mangaka is behind Saotome Shimai Ha Manga no Tame Nara? I know it is one of the better selling Jump+ manga so good for him.

Numa Shun had a oneshot in GIGA months after Samon got cancelled (same year as well), but seems it was not recieved well enough for serialization.
Yep, he's the very same! I didn't notice it immediately from the artstyle alone, but as soon as the MC said he was working on "Love Robot," all of the pieces clicked together in my head. I'll give him props for sticking to his roots in the face of adversity. He must've truly wanted to draw ecchi romcoms no matter what lol.

I remember reading Numa Shun's GIGA oneshot when it came out. It was pretty good. I wouldn't mind seeing it serialized, but I always thought his strength lied in his comedic elements rather than his fight scenes. It just fits his artstyle better
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
MangaPlus decided to not pick this up, but Shonen Jump+ just started a new ecchi (possibly harem per Color Page) manga 2.5-Jigen no Yuuwaku (2.5-dimensional Seduction). Chapter 1 already has 156 comments on the service after just 1 day, and is the Top 1 popular manga there right now.


 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
so Manga+ may be following the same policy as Viz on fan service stuff then and even if Yuuna wasn't licensed by Seven Seas wouldn't have been there (or they just happened to not chose the fan service series, need more data)
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
:SOON
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,554
Reaction score
15,722
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I think I haven't shared this in MH. A Twitter thread I did last year about how Otoko Ippiki Gaki Daisho and Hiroshi Motomiya shaped Shonen Jump, and all the direct influences Motomiya had on Jump (mainly Kurumada and Tetsuo Hara). If you are interested click the first tweet (not the second tweet, the first tweet is the one which links to the english thread).


The talk of Otoko Ippiki is being too strong this week in Hokuto no Gun thanks to the first anime serial being subbed, and then I remembered I did this multi-tweet thread last year lol

PD: Despite the appearance of that last tweet (dunno why Twitter puts it there, since is from a spanish paralell Twitter thread), entire thread is in english lol. Just checked when I opened the link to see what happened.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top