Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Ugh...I'm baffled as to why you describe series like Act-Age and Promised Neverland as having a "casual" start.

Also, I think we have different views on "speed" because, having checked Toriko, most of the early arcs are episodic escapades of Toriko and Komatsu's adventures hunting. While they're of high-quality and Shimabukuro's world building is genuinely fantastic, there's still not much a hard plotline.
Those 2 HAVE casual start, but it goes deeper than that to attract normies that arent used for non typical shonen battle mangas
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
What can I say, I’m weak. Besides Rain is alright enough as a person, just flawed in their attempts to make any sort of critical statement, to this reader at least
I think the problem (in this topic and the thread lately) isn't that Rain is an user that think he know more than he actually know or that you got baited but him.
Is the same 2 or 3 poster , quoting him again and again. For me, they look worse than him, because they're grown up people getting mad and trying to look smart against a teen who think he know how jump work.
In the end, they want different forms of attention lol.
 

westabyss

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 31, 2018
Messages
195
Reaction score
523
Country
Germany
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
It suits my taste the most. I had a post like 2 weeks ago in the Sunday thread describing my problems with it. I like Magazine also a lot and its catalogue atm is only slightly behind Jump. Also i think that the name of the brand 'Jump' has been with us since childhood, so for a lot of people this magazine's titles got them into manga and have a special place for them. So history plays a part in that.
Plus i think there is more to discuss about Jump because a.) its rich history and b.) its harsh nature. New series come and go here. Its like watching a sport with competitors facing off.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,560
Reaction score
5,411
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
My, my, my....... Everyone's getting into a tizzy over S8 eh?

Well, I'll just drop my two cents here then. Story-wise, S8 isn't a trainwreck at least. But the art still needs a lot of improvements. One thing I noticed about Naruto's art was that it had a right balance of b/w colors, making it easier to distinguish what's happening. Kishi's doing a bit more on art than what was expected, but if it was true, he should've mentioned or noticed the b/w balance is off to Okubo. My guess is that he didn't want to get too much into Okubo's way and let him grow.

The newest chapter shows a better b/w balance. So I believe he's getting there. That said, I think I'm dropping S8 for the time being and pick it up later and hopefully it gets better by then.
 

LuckyJim

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 20, 2018
Messages
326
Reaction score
366
Age
30
Country
Buy Moria
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
I mean, personally it's because it's the easiest one to access, from the perspective of and English speaking American, and it's the one that I regularly read as a magazine. There are several series from Magazine and Sunday that I like even more than some Jump series, but their translations are a lot more inconsistent, and so I usually see theme more as individual series rather than identifying them as parts of a whole magazine. Also, Jump is the magazine that I can easily keep up with new series.

My, my, my....... Everyone's getting into a tizzy over S8 eh?

Well, I'll just drop my two cents here then. Story-wise, S8 isn't a trainwreck at least. But the art still needs a lot of improvements. One thing I noticed about Naruto's art was that it had a right balance of b/w colors, making it easier to distinguish what's happening. Kishi's doing a bit more on art than what was expected, but if it was true, he should've mentioned or noticed the b/w balance is off to Okubo. My guess is that he didn't want to get too much into Okubo's way and let him grow.

The newest chapter shows a better b/w balance. So I believe he's getting there. That said, I think I'm dropping S8 for the time being and pick it up later and hopefully it gets better by then.
The arguements kind of stopped being about Samurai 8 a while ago...
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Having read all the chapters of Yui Kamio, this manga is so getting the axe is a couple issues. When do you guys think the next batch is starting, Issue 33 or so?
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
If that's the case, feel free to send in a comment and debate me there. Few people there actually doubt me, so evidently most think I'm right.
That’s not how... anything works. What?

And I’ve been clear to you when i’ve disagreed over there as well when you’ve DM’d me. Your threads so far in are “I personally don’t like Samurai 8”, “I don’t think these 3 series could survive in an environment that they cultivated”, and “I have a low opinions of gag manga” respectively. There’s not a lot to say to any of those beyond “I don’t agree” and “you should read more and use a critical model”

I’m gonna cut this here on my part, just because I don’t think we’re getting anywhere, and I don’t wanna turn this into like an actual argument
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Chainsawman is good again this week. If Chainsawman somehow becomes successful you guys think it can go above 200+ chapters? for me it might go around 150 to 200 chapters.
I’d love if it did go long. Like as long as it keeps surprising me I want it to stick around, you know?
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
my reasoning is pretty simple, it exist, it is translated (especially nowadays with official simulpub for almost everything) and some suits me,

but I'm the type that read everything that fit the first 2 criteria + managed to get my attention, by coincidence(mostly popularity of certains series (you know whichever) resulting in a positive feedback loop in translation and discussion causing weekly jump to be the most popular of the bunch)

I won't say jump is my favourite magazine (I don't think any magazine reached a level to be my absolute favourite) just that I read the series from there regularly the most (I'm reading literally all the main series in the magazine in the same week as Japan, how may magazine you can say that if you are like me, doesn't know japanese)

also the fact that in term of probability, jump have the highest chance of people sticking to the translation until the end (well nowadays it is mostly a non-issue )
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much?
Because they're easier to follow, and scan groups are more likely to pick up WSJ series over the other magazines. And yeah, the series in Jump are more aligned with my tastes overall.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
For most people nowadays, also kids it's about popularity. But for me it has a deep nostalgic history, my first manga I read giving full attention in my late 2nd year of highschool was haikyuu when it only had 10 - 20 ch. At the time I was a huge fan when jstar victory came out, since then suddenly I saw mha in my manga app. (Reading manga was still really irrelevant at the time in 2013 So I always had clasmsates,, well I rather call them friends cuz I'm still hanging with them)

so for me it had nothing to do with popularity but how cool the magazine/franchise looks, jump is the best at handling how to Sell and attract.

Sorry for this long essay but that's my beloved reason why
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
Oh yo I missed this question! I love this.

I mean Shonen Jump is my third favourite magazine (I’m all about Grand Jump, and adore Shonen Sunday), but Shonen Jump is also what I know, I guess? Like I’ve read so much from this magazine, and have so many bits of info memorised that I’m just kinda attached to it by default. Like it has a rich, storied history that I actually know about, which gives it a lot over the other magazines that i love more, weird as that sounds.

That and yeah like comfort and habit haha
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Yo I don’t care how irritated the person makes you, don’t be too much of an ass. The good way of fostering a community is through communication and time and whilst the dude’s research is lacking and points often lack merit, I don’t think the correct response is to tell them to leave. Everyone learns eventually. God knows I was a pain here a decade ago or whatever, and many users here still definitely are. So like stones and glass houses. Just disengage if you’re getting annoyed.
Agree no need for salt. Dont make this thread the next shit Twitter
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Or, and hear me out, it has nothing to do with “old-timer sensibilities” and that’s just an excuse to dismiss his feelings as out of step with your own? Like there’s nothing old-timer about them?
Hes not partly wrong, the batch was super generic. Everyone liked the wnl batch of chainsawman the best compared with the other ones, it just had problems with writing. That guy still cant give an explanation why its "very better" because he Cant, which makes my opinion more of a truth
 
Last edited:

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,296
Reaction score
7,331
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I like WSJ personally because I like the general style and themes it goes for, the focus on friendship but not in an overblown way like in Magazine, mixing hard work with high talent, how much focus many series have on hyping up stuff and chapter-to-chapter excitement and such.

I actually kind of like the stuff from WS Champion that I've read a bit more in general but much less of that magazine is translated. Sunday's got great gag series but I'm not into their non-gag stuff these days, and Magazine's got some decent series but nothing I'd put above jump since their style doesn't hook me in much.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
I'm getting more and more affection to Shonen Magazine (since it has been less popular than Jump and Sunday) to the point that Magazine has become my favorite magazine, but Jump is in a solid #2 place to me.

Mainly all the big stuff which I've grown (Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, Captain Tsubasa, Yu-gi-oh, One Piece, Naruto, Death Note, Mazinger Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, Slam Dunk, Kenshin, HunterxHunter, BoBoBo, Shaman King, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc) has come from Shonen Jump.

Fun fact: my current favorite title (5toubun) is in WSM

EDIT: @Maxy Barnard wanted to ask you this since you are literally the only person here besides me that knows about Play Ball. Any chance of manga getting Edited Mangas or anime (is a freaking 00s anime ;_; ) getting subs in the future? It hurts to me that I can't follow this series because nobody in West cares about it.
 

Xzone

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Nov 2, 2014
Messages
888
Reaction score
698
Gender
Male
Country
Isle of Man
I think my favourite magazine is a tie of Sunday(as a child I always saw Urusei , Yaiba and Conan among other sunday series) and Jump with Champion as a second.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I would rank the magazines as WSJ-WSM-WSS-WSC for now. Jump has too many iconic things for me (including some of which animes I grew up with) for it to be overtaken by anyone, and I enjoy lots of their current manga (Stone, MHA, Black Clover, Neverland, Jujutsu, Act-Age, Chainsawman and Kimetsu no Yaiba)
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
EDIT: @Maxy Barnard wanted to ask you this since you are literally the only person here besides me that knows about Play Ball. Any chance of manga getting Edited Mangas or anime (is a freaking 00s anime ;_; ) getting subs in the future? It hurts to me that I can't follow this series because nobody in West cares about it.
The bummer answer from me is in two parts. The first is that i don’t think scan or fansub groups will ever give it a proper go, and the second is that I’m pretty anti-scan/fansub nowadays (yeah I realise my title here is still Manga Editor haha) so I’m not that fussed about it. Though obviously with licensors not caring I doubt it’d do much harm for a fan group to do something.

I’m mostly hoping that Play Ball 2 (or eventually Captain 2) get anime in the future. That’s the only way I see things changing
 

Bomber D Rufi

Translator
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 3, 2006
Messages
3,930
Reaction score
5,624
Gender
Hidden
Country
United States
Can I ask you guys something, as a serious question - not to provoke anything. Why so you like Weekly Shounen Jump so much? Is it because of the popularity of the bigger series in it? Or do you see a real quality advantage compared to other similar magazines? This thread is getting a lot more attention than Sunday etc and I truly wonder if it's grounded in some kind of historical habitual popularity from DB, OP etc or if you really think "This magazine deserves my attention more than the others" or is it maybe just a question of comfortable availabity?
As someone who loves Sunday way more than Jump I'll answer this generally --Jump is more than a magazine at this point, it's a franchise. Even though I don't care about most of the manga in it currently aside from Kimetsu, One Piece and MHA (oh and HXH when it's around) it's so iconic that it's hard to really ignore jump. Plus as many have pointed out it's the magazine that gets translated the most. I do honesty feel like if other magazines got the same sort of attention translation wise they'd be a little more well known but even then Jump is a juggernaut. Some have said jump fits their style and it's true Jump does have a formula ---forward momentum always. Even series that seem slow week to week are always moving unlike say, Sunday where you can have a few weeks where the plot is on hold and it's slow moving. I guess I just prefer that laid back nature in Sunday to Jump, not that jump's forward momentum is a bad thing. I just wish I liked some of the current stuff more (like Chainsaw man and TPN) so I had a better opinion.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
As someone who loves Sunday way more than Jump I'll answer this generally --Jump is more than a magazine at this point, it's a franchise. Even though I don't care about most of the manga in it currently aside from Kimetsu, One Piece and MHA (oh and HXH when it's around) it's so iconic that it's hard to really ignore jump. Plus as many have pointed out it's the magazine that gets translated the most. I do honesty feel like if other magazines got the same sort of attention translation wise they'd be a little more well known but even then Jump is a juggernaut. Some have said jump fits their style and it's true Jump does have a formula ---forward momentum always. Even series that seem slow week to week are always moving unlike say, Sunday where you can have a few weeks where the plot is on hold and it's slow moving. I guess I just prefer that laid back nature in Sunday to Jump, not that jump's forward momentum is a bad thing. I just wish I liked some of the current stuff more (like Chainsaw man and TPN) so I had a better opinion.
Exactly. The comparisons to other publications are a bit silly at this point because Jump long ago stopped being just a manga magazine, it's become a piece of media on another level. I call it the Jump Canon for a reason people.
 

Thaed

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2019
Messages
135
Reaction score
132
Age
32
Country
France
WSJ for me has a nostalgic aspect as most of the first manga I've read is from that magazine.
Regarding the access to the mangas, it was really easier (and still is thanks to mangaplus) to read the manga from this magazine for a person who can not read japanese. Moroever, even with scans, it was a lot easier to find them for the WSJ mangas than for the others.
I think that's what made me really attached to WSJ, mainly by default I would say as for a long time I could mostly read his mangas.

Putting that aspect aside, generally the mangas in WSJ are really good imo, so I naturally pay attention to what is coming new in the magazine, a thing that I do not necesseraly do for other mags (and again, scan are difficult to find for some series as Blue Lock for example). However, I think that the WSJ is in a weird time right now, lots of new series but none of them seems to really be a big thing even if most of them are great. I think that we are in a transition period right now.

To conclude, WSJ is still on the top for me as it is the mag that I know the best, series are top quality and it is easy to have access to the chapters every week (which I think is a really important factor).

Sorry for the long post !
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top