Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
"faster pacing of Jump"
Didn't we already go over this...? What was Black Cat or D. Gray Man?

And to your second part about Gintama being a series for readers "who should have grown out of Jump". Lots of series can occupy such a designation and a random producers quote being likely taken out of context doesn't change that. A deconstruction like Chainsaw Man or Medaka Box for example would fit that. A series that strives for an audience that read Jump in their youth isn't at all unlikely to be serialized again. That vague description fits literally almost all deconstructions and parody manga.
I'm not gonna try arguing about the first point because it's clear you refuse to budge, but to the second, you really misunderstand what I mean. Gintama is for those adults who, like Gintoki, have gone through experiences that mean they should've grown out Jump's stories of heroism and courage, yet continue to read and love the stories in Jump regardless. That's why the episodic storyline that alternates between tones and lacks a hard "goal" is so important, it reflect adult life, sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, always meaningful. Discarding that format means discarding half the point of the manga.

Also, just for reference, I do consider Chainsaw Man something of a "counterpart" to Gintama for the modern era, but only in a fairly loose sense. The two are obviously nothing alike in any real factors.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
@MangAniMY in general, what % of total volume sales for jump series come from outside of japan? Doesn't have to be specific just a general ballpark. Thanks in advance
Don't know, since most worldwide number includes digital...

and we rarely get concrete numbers outside of japan, added the affect that preference will vary depending on countries

I think I did rough calculations with TPN numbers a while back and it kinda 10% for TPN (digital[worldwide] + international sales) I'm probably wrong since I can't find the calculations I did
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
@MangAniMY in general, what % of total volume sales for jump series come from outside of japan? Doesn't have to be specific just a general ballpark. Thanks in advance
Think the best thing to do is to follow the sales in Europe and particularly France since that's the biggest market outside Japan. I'm fairly certain sales data for France is available on the internet if you just search for em. I remember back in 2016, France had about 13.6 million volumes of manga sold that year.
North America is a weird market, to say the least.

I'm not gonna try arguing about the first point because it's clear you refuse to budge, but to the second, you really misunderstand what I mean. Gintama is for those adults who, like Gintoki, have gone through experiences that mean they should've grown out Jump's stories of heroism and courage, yet continue to read and love the stories in Jump regardless. That's why the episodic storyline that alternates between tones and lacks a hard "goal" is so important, it reflect adult life, sometimes comic, sometimes tragic, always meaningful. Discarding that format means discarding half the point of the manga.

Also, just for reference, I do consider Chainsaw Man something of a "counterpart" to Gintama for the modern era, but only in a fairly loose sense. The two are obviously nothing alike in any real factors.
Rain. I'm gonna say this very nicely; you have NO IDEA what you're talking about.
Just a FYI to you and any newcomer to this forum. It's OKAY to not know things. You don't need to have an answer to every question that someone asks or says here especially if you have don't know what you're talking about. Just a friendly advise. Cool?
 

SalesNerd69

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
196
Reaction score
211
Age
28
Country
India
Are there series that sell more internationally than domestically? Like for example 200 k in japan and 300 k worldwide or something? I seriously doubt it but you never know.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Are there series that sell more internationally than domestically? Like for example 200 k in japan and 300 k worldwide or something? I seriously doubt it but you never know.
Not WSJ per say but from what I saw Edens Zero is more successful overseas than Japan,


Also from what I heard (not sure how much accurate it is) TPN & BNHA is nearly as successful overseas as in Japan.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,468
Reaction score
39,377
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Man, it became my favorite thing to go every week in the MAL's thread for Kimetsu no Yaiba anime, that place is just sooo out of touch with the rest of the anime community, it's hilarious, people there just want to hate Yaiba so much but can't because the production is 10/10 and the series itself is super solid that they come up with stupid nitpick criticism everytime kkkkkk.
 
Last edited:

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Are there series that sell more internationally than domestically? Like for example 200 k in japan and 300 k worldwide or something? I seriously doubt it but you never know.
Probably, I guess. Can't cite any examples tho
 

Aeneas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 17, 2019
Messages
1,814
Reaction score
3,995
Country
Italy
Rain. I'm gonna say this very nicely; you have NO IDEA what you're talking about.
Just a FYI to you and any newcomer to this forum. It's OKAY to not know things. You don't need to have an answer to every question that someone asks or says here especially if you have don't know what you're talking about. Just a friendly advise. Cool?
"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do. In this trifling particular, then, I appear to be wiser than he, because I do not fancy I know what I do not know."

:cool:
 

CrimsonEpitaph

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Nov 6, 2018
Messages
84
Reaction score
91
Age
35
Country
Israel
Man, it became my favorite thing to go every week in the MAL's thread for Kimetsu no Yaiba anime, that place is just sooo out of touch with the rest of the anime community, it's hilarious, people there just want to hate Yaiba so much but can't because the production is 10/10 and the series itself is super solid that they come up with stupid nitpick criticism everytime kkkkkk.
The name of the show has been officialy changed into Kimetsu no Sakuga tho
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
The only one who refuse to budge is you, Rain Spectre.
Hell, all of your replies can be summarised into "old things slow and bad, new things fast and good".
About international manga sales, I think Watamote used to sell more in foreign countries before it kind of blown up with yuri undertone. But it's not jump related, I guess.
 
Last edited:

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Are there series that sell more internationally than domestically? Like for example 200 k in japan and 300 k worldwide or something? I seriously doubt it but you never know.
Dragon Ball for sure.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
France (europe) > southeast asia (gonna outright say Vietnam is up there > north america for manga sales

Strictly quantity sales speaking, not revenue.
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,547
Reaction score
15,706
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
Fist of the north star should also be in the list.
Dunno. Dunno about USA, but in Europe however, Hokuto no Ken wasn't so big. Captain Tsubasa and Saint Seiya were way bigger.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
France (europe) > southeast asia (gonna outright say Vietnam is up there > north america for manga sales

Strictly quantity sales speaking, not revenue.
I'm gonna say indonesia is first in SEA just by sheer volume of published series


anyway.... brunei is last :3c


By blocks

A lot
Indonesia
Vietnam
Thailand

Not sure but definitely some and probably more than MY
Philippines
Laos

probably right about the same as MY maybe more maybe less
Malaysia
Cambodia
Myanmar

Less than MY
Singapore

Nope
Timor-Leste
Brunei
 
Last edited:

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Not WSJ per say but from what I saw Edens Zero is more successful overseas than Japan,


Also from what I heard (not sure how much accurate it is) TPN & BNHA is nearly as successful overseas as in Japan.
Here is a curious situation, because it isn't easy to compare the success between Japan and other countries.

I've understood a manga needs to sell fewer copies in other countries than in Japan to be considered successful by their respectivo editorial.
 

MangAniMY

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2018
Messages
1,955
Reaction score
4,863
Country
Malaysia
I'm pretty sure we should deal with absolutes rather than relative


also... all dragon ball (normal, kanzeban... not counting super) is 250M worldwide late last year sauce




and, not sure if this include worlwide (probably not since OP seems to be the japan number) but dragon ball was at 159M in 2014 (may or may not include kanzenban) form shueisha media guide 2014
 
Last edited:

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I'm pretty sure we should deal with absolutes rather than relative


also... all dragon ball (normal, kanzeban... not counting super) is 250M worldwide late last year sauce




and, not sure if this include worlwide (probably not since OP seems to be the japan number) but dragon ball was at 159M in 2014 (may or may not include kanzenban) form shueisha media guide 2014
I'm more a believer that 159M is Japan Number. Else it's pulling 90M in 4 years worldwide and that's unheard of.

Actually on the wikipedia page of Dragonball (they listed several "foreign sources" of Dragonball sales that added up to ~280M
like South korea 20M, France 30M, etc... So slightly off but a good indication.

Oricon 2008 chart showed DBZ at 150M circulation.
 

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I'm more a believer that 159M is Japan Number. Else it's pulling 90M in 4 years worldwide and that's unheard of.

Actually on the wikipedia page of Dragonball (they listed several "foreign sources" of Dragonball sales that added up to ~280M
like South korea 20M, France 30M, etc... So slightly off but a good indication.

Oricon 2008 chart showed DBZ at 150M circulation.
Yup. Link here for anyone who wants: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Ball_(manga)#Popularity

160 million in Japan
30 million in France
20 million in South Korea
20 million in Spain
12 million in Italy
10 million in China
etc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top