Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
To be completely honest, I'm pretty surprised Yui Kamio is being done by a mangaka who is not only a veteran, but a veteran of a popular series. This series is basically Yui Kamio Has an Identity Crisis at this point. Just when I thought we'd get some Nao/Yui background, we basically get none. If you divide this chapter into thirds, each one feels like a completely different series. Even after all of this, Yui Kamio is still somehow my favorite of the 6 newest series lol
Yeah, it seems a mess. I wonder what is going on. I never read anything from him but considering that Nura was a success and I see people praising it (it's also on my list to read someday), it's quite strange how it's going on...
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
Boruto never took a spot (which is 20 regularly serialized weekly series). With Souma out, it is 19. BUT with GFC Oneshots coming soon (last year was around Issue #38 or #39) which will have to take over the current oneshots place anyways, Shueisha will opt to do one of these two things:
1) Keep all until GFC is over (which would take a lot to get there, not impossible but unlikely)
2) Cancel Kamio Yui and Saiyuki and add 2 newbies with GFC replacing the regular oneshots, with another round after GFC.
You're forgetting that Hinomaru looks ready to end soon as well. Jump could absolutely let it end, launch 2-3 series in July, then wait till its over to launch another pair while maybe ending Yuuna while they're at it. Taisei, Beast and Shinobi likely won't get axed until October/November though.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Yeah, it seems a mess. I wonder what is going on. I never read anything from him but considering that Nura was a success and I see people praising it (it's also on my list to read someday), it's quite strange how it's going on...
The whole thing reeks to me of desperation. Shiibashi thought he could launch a fun semi-gag manga that could maybe fill the Gintama-shaped hole in Jump (which is actually filled by Chainsaw Man IMO), only to realize via his editor that readers were in no way interested in what he was doing and started throwing shit at the wall in order to get some attention. Ironically, that sort of behavior likely doomed the manga to an even faster death.
 
Last edited:

Mr.Fujimaster

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 5, 2017
Messages
437
Reaction score
304
Country
Brazil
Beast Children and Double Taisei are getting better and better with the latest chapters.
Samurai 8 and Kamio Yui are still interesting.

Btw, it looks like Hinomaru Zumou may be ending in the next few weeks.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
TSS and Double taisei are the best so far, honestly.
Although it is certain that only samurai 8 survives (but I am always mistaken).
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This is all in your head
Dude, everyone who read Kamio yui's manga saw the part of the dolls caught in the chain of the girl well in terror.
And as if we were reading a chapter of Nuraryhion, I found it cool but it does not match what the manga presented in the first chapter.
It's as if the author was trying to follow the reborn path, but it's too late.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
Did you even read what I quoted?
I read, and that's why I said it.
not wanting to choose sides, but in fact kamio yui begins as a romcom, then went to the ecchi and finally went to a tone of mystery.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
Personally, Beast Children its your typical sport manga but I feel the passion that the author is bringing with each chapter. It's really an enjoyable series to read and I'm kinda hoping it can be able to survive.

Also, I wanted another American Football manga but I'm still happy with a rugby one.
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Beast Children keeps being my favorite of the four by virtue of being alright (that and I like sports comics). But also, I usually don't think sports comics start very strong usually, so I think it can grow a lot if it doesn't get axed.

Taisei... I think the author has interesting ideas and he created good characters, he just... It's such a bizarre progression of events. I think the concept this chapter presented could be cool, but it should be, I don't know, chapter 1 or a twist way later or something.

TSS and Samurai 8 are completely uninteresting to me already, I'm reading just because of.. Inertia, I guess? Having all series on the same place helps.
 

RafaFedKilla

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 3, 2013
Messages
1,727
Reaction score
464
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Estelle is going to save The Last Saiyuki and become the new main character. The series is starting to come into it's own a bit, but the villains and monsters don't look compelling, MHA syndrome.
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
BTW, given the retro aesthetic, does that make Saiyuki the modern era equivalent to Toriko?
 

OniluapL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 26, 2012
Messages
512
Reaction score
1,341
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
BTW, given the retro aesthetic, does that make Saiyuki the modern era equivalent to Toriko?
I mean... in only that aspect, sure, they are both series with an aesthetic more akin to past decades. I don't think that's enough to make it an equivalent.

But hey, if that means Jump will trust it and give it more spotlight, sure, it's the new Toriko! Anything to make Saiyuki survive.

By the way, is there precedent for a series from an unknown author that was doing pretty bad in the ToC selling well in the volumes? The only cases I remember are from well-known authors...
 

Rain Spectre

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
May 11, 2019
Messages
3,255
Reaction score
4,663
Age
27
Country
Australia
I mean... in only that aspect, sure, they are both series with an aesthetic more akin to past decades. I don't think that's enough to make it an equivalent.

But hey, if that means Jump will trust it and give it more spotlight, sure, it's the new Toriko! Anything to make Saiyuki survive.
I wasn't entirely serious there. I was just making a comment because a good number of series in the modern era have rough equivalents from the 2000s in stuff like story, position in Jump and other factors.
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I mean... in only that aspect, sure, they are both series with an aesthetic more akin to past decades. I don't think that's enough to make it an equivalent.

But hey, if that means Jump will trust it and give it more spotlight, sure, it's the new Toriko! Anything to make Saiyuki survive.

By the way, is there precedent for a series from an unknown author that was doing pretty bad in the ToC selling well in the volumes? The only cases I remember are from well-known authors...
Does Cross Account counts? I know the author previously made the art of Tokyo Wonder Boys but it was with Cross Account that he made the story and art, and it sold kinda well for a series that was going to get the axed.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
I think it's quite admirable the staff having hopes for the salvation of The Last Saiyuki.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
why are we posting tweets from literal who's again?
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



>5 likes

Reminder that if Rain said this, he would've been bombarded with 7 replies about how he's making it up and responses like "twitter reception doesn't matter, stop acting like your headcanon is truth"
I guess the reigning US opens and Australia opens champion is litteral who when it comes to Tennis related media.

Also, Rain Spectre has built a brand for himself of being an obnoxious person who tries to have opinion about things he knows jack shit, while ignoring most criticisms. So I am not surprised if there are people who automatically ignore his replies.
Not me tho, I am always looking forward to ignoraramuses humilating themselves.
 
Last edited:

Zenothehero

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Dec 19, 2018
Messages
10
Reaction score
22
Age
25
Country
Uchiha Clan
Estelle is going to save The Last Saiyuki and become the new main character. The series is starting to come into it's own a bit, but the villains and monsters don't look compelling, MHA syndrome.
This is a pretty low & absurd take regarding hero academy. Some can argue the ongoing villain centric arc is even more captivating than the students.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top