Mag Talk - General Manga Magazine Discussion | Page 2 | MangaHelpers

• Join in and nominate your favorite shows of the summer season 2023!

Mag Talk General Manga Magazine Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

CallMeTsuyu

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey, this is a pretty cool thread. I read a crap ton of stuff, even web series created posted in places like Twitter and Pixiv. Of course, the majority of series I read are from WSJ, but I also read some manga from Sunday, Champion, YJ, WSM, SJ+, Young Ace, and a whole bunch of stuff that I'm not even sure what magazines they come from. I'm like MangAniMY; I just love manga and if it catches my eye and it's available in English, I'll give a read. I kinda can't do this without listing off what I currently reading from the publications I listed, so here goes! :nerd

WSJ: MHA, TPN, Dr. Stone, HxH(when it's not on hiatus), KnY, OP, Sam8, Act-Age, HZ, Haikyuu!!, Saiyuki, TSS
Interested in trying JJK, too.

SJ+: SxF, Vigilantes: MHA

Sunday: Undine(RIP), Sheriff Evans, Komi-san

Champion: Beastars, Komura-san

YJ: Kaguya-sama(including the spin-offs), Golden Kamuy
Plan to read Kingdom and Batuque at some point.

WSM: Hitman, Shogi Senpai, Onee-san, Smile on the Runway
Gonna give Eden Zero and Fire Force another try. Plan of trying 7DS, Goutobun(don't normally read harems but I heard this one stands out from the rest), and some of their other long running series. Magazine and Sunday both have a lot of series with unique premises so they have me a little curious about their individuals selections.

V-Jump: DBS, Boruto

Manga Pocket: Nagatoro

Young Ace: Fuufu Ijou, Koibito Miman

Jump SQ: World Trigger

Last edited:

Stivie

有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
WSJ: KnY, Sam8, BC, Haikyuu!!, Saiyuki, TSS, JJK.

SJ+: SxF and HG

Sunday: MAO

YJ: MoMo, shikabana and Doujin gunkan

Bessatsu: shingeki

WSM: shogi senpai and blue lock

Jump SQ: Dark gatheling, kemono jihen, world trigger and platinum end.

Brandish μ

Can you?
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Country
Alvarez Empire
At the moment I like Gessan, Dengeki Daioh and Harta the most, based on the manga I read/know are in there. Also love the covers for Harta's mag. Over the years I looked up WSJ, WSM and Hana to Yume titles routinely; and initially Ikki titles caught my eye.

Tymano

Reaction score
Country
United States
WSJ: OP, KnY, Dr. Stone, Saiyuki, JJ, HxH
There's a bunch of stuff from Jump I am far behind on right now, but I plan on getting caught up to eventually (MHA, BC, AA, S8, WNL, Yuuna, Kamio Yui, TPN). There's also stuff that is completed that I am currently reading at a slow pace, but that list is waaaaaaaay to long to put down.

SJ+: SxF, and that's it (surprisingly) although I am behind on 4 other things I am reading (Jigokuraku, DF, Aharen-san, and BF), and one completed manga (elDLIVE)

Sunday: Birdmen, Mao, Tonikaku, Souboutei, Be Blues, Maiko-san, Ponkotsu, Yukosae, Kimi wa 008, Gofun, Undine(RIP as well), Yugami(Scans are still getting caught up) RYOKO(Same as Yugami), and Ariadne(If another chapter ever gets released). I'm slightly behind on Komi and Evans, far behind on Conan and ZKC, and like with Jump, the list of completed stuff I am reading is too long of a list to put down.

Champion: Only Atsumare, but I plan on reading a few more things from here soon.

YJ: Golden Kamuy and Kaguya, everything else I am far behind on. Does OPM count? If so, then that too.

WSM: Fire Force, Orient, SYD, Senryuu, Shichi-ha, and Fumetsu. There's some stuff I'm behind on (EZ, 7DS, and 5Toubun). And a bunch of old stuff as well.

Jump SQ: World Trigger, Bloody Paintings, and TSE. Getting caught up om Blue Exorcist, Kono Oto Tomare, and Seraph as well. And with more old stuff as well. Kekkai Sensen and D.Gray Man if they count as well.

Gessan and Webry: Reading enough from both of these that I thought it was worth a mention, currently reading Ao no Orchestra, Black Maid, Hana ni Arashi, Mix, Dai Dark, and 341 Sentoudan.

lazybones1717

上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Reaction score
Country
United States
I mainly read series from Jump and Jump Plus (thanks to VIZ and MANGA Plus) but I've recently started branching out to Magazine. I'm also really interested in Young Jump and Gessan but I only read one series from each magazine (Kaguya-sama and Dai Dark respectively) and it's hard to get into either of them when so few of their series are translated into English (either officially or not). After I read some more Magazine series I really want to try some Sunday and Champion titles as well (although they also suffer from the same problem I previously mentioned).

Last edited:

Nemesis

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Reaction score
Country
Brazil
I read manga from so many magazines lol But the one which I most talk as a magazine is of course WSJ due to the TOC. And because I have read a bunch of them as well, I guess.

But overall I have like over 150 manga in my list (I don't read all of them, many are just on hold) and they're scattered on many mags.

Last edited:

Doughboy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hopefully anime experts and twitter sources won't destroy this thread too lol. Here's my list:

WSJ: MHA, HxH, Sam8, Act-Age, Saiyuki, TSS

V-Jump: DBS, Boruto

Jump+: Summertime Rendering, Soloist in the Cage (recommend this one), World's End Harem

WSM: Fire Force, EZ, Bakemonogatari

Magazine Pocket: 100YQ, Nagatoro

MangaOne: Zelda

Some thoughts in general:
  • Top five and what I read faithfully once the chapter is available in order of anticipation: MHA, 100YQ, DBS, Nagatoro, HxH
  • Everything outside these 5 series & Boruto I'm behind on or read by batches instead of weekly, not enough time like before but Manga+ helps
  • I'm with CallMeTsuyu on harems, could be cause I'm older but they're not really entertaining compared to a couple years ago. Same shit over and over
  • One Punch Man is probably next on the watch/read list
  • Honest opinion on Fire Force, Eden Zero, and Sam8: Fire Force is the best of the 3 follow up series of popular authors but none of them are better than the previous hit and never will be. Good worlds and powers, uninteresting characters and themes. If Soul Eater, Fairy Tail, and Naruto weren't among my all time favorites I probably wouldn't bother reading these 3 in general. Good/ok, not great. It's cool though, liking them is good enough.

CallMeTsuyu

Reaction score
Country
United States
I forgot about V-Jump. I for sure read DBS and Boruto. Also, good to know where Nagatoro is from now. Add them onto the list as well haha.

Stivie

Reaction score
Country
Brazil
An interesting fact;

currently the shonen jump has 19 manga in publication (20 if counting with HxH).
WJM has 22 manga in publication, and Sunday is the one that has the largest number among the three with 26 manga in publication.

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
An interesting fact;

currently the shonen jump has 19 manga in publication (20 if counting with HxH).
WJM has 22 manga in publication, and Sunday is the one that has the largest number among the three with 26 manga in publication.
Sunday run a lot of series with low page counts, and WSM dabble in 4-koma stuff, which is kinda why this is the case. I wonder why Shonen Jump don’t really touch either of these things nowadays though

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
My current active subscriptions are WSM, Sunday, Gessan, and Bessatsu. That said, I haven't looked at any of my Sunday issues for months, and only been paying attention to one or two series for Gessan, and Bessatsu. For Jump, I'm currently only following Sumo on a regular basis.
Really tempted to revive my Jump SQ subscription at the moment. (damn you Watsuki)

My go-to magazine throughout the years have been WSM, although it's always been a bit polarizing. Their sports and "serious" side (like Koe no Katachi, Runway, Tokyo Revengers, Shibatora, etc) are really up my alley. On the other hand, I'm pretty sick of their action series (mainly Hiro Mashima) and drama-heavy soup opera romances. They kind of house both my favorite and least favorite type of authors.

Mankichi Togawa

Reaction score
Country
Spain
I'd say the manga that I wait the most every week is 5toubun. I never expected a romcom to suck my soul so strongly. I totally understand how 5toubun has became the 5th top seller of this year for the moment (also 5th place is karma lol). Also, Yotsuba is a miracle of the nature.

Then Act-tage, Jujutsu, Black Clover, Hero Academia, Eden Zero, KanoKari, Blue Lock, Ace of Diamond, Tonikaku Cawaii, Komi-san, and SpyxFamily for me.

iceemperor

Reaction score
Country
Casterly Rock
The series I regularly follow are:

Jump: pretty much everything except Chainsawman, HxH, Beast Children, Double Taisei and Tokyo Shinobi Squad. I might not be caught up on some series as I like binging some Jump series though.

Sunday: 008, Cawaii, Komi, Souboutei, Fire Rabbit and Silver Spoon are the series I regularly read. I binge other series whenever.

Magazine: Sen wa boku wo Egaku, Edens Zero, Gotoubun, Runway, Taizai, and Tokyo Revengers. Again, I'm not all caught up on all of them though

Weekly Shonen Champion: Beastars, Rokudou

Jump SQ: New Prince of Tennis, Kemono Jihen

Young Magazine: Yuki Onna, Nande Sensei

Jump+: Jigokuraku, Blue Flag, SxF

Young Jump: Kingdom, Kamuy, Kaguya-sama, Batuque, Murder Innocence

Evening: Kanno sensei

There's probably more but this is what I can remember for now. There's actually quite a bit once I actually write them down.

Thaed

Reaction score
Country
France
I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this topic but I am kind of interested of your opinion :
Did you read any french manga? And if you did, what did you think about it?

I you did not read any, I can advice you to read Radiant, which also has an anime made by a japanes studio (I did not see it) and Dreamland (the art at the beginning is not the best but it improves a lot after view volumes).

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh, this is a pretty cool idea for a thread. For those of you on here who don't know, I tend to follow romcom/SOL/romance type series, but if there's something about them that truly catches my interests, I do read outside of those genres.

Weekly Shonen Jump: Act-Age, WNL, and Yuuna are my top 3 follows that I actively read weekly. I also half-heartedly follow Dr. Stone, Chainsawman, Saiyuki, and Yui Kamio (although those last 2 probably won't be a thing for much longer).

Weekly Shonen Magazine: Honestly, it'd probably be easier to list the things I don't follow lol. I don't follow any of the sport series (Ahiru, Days, Daiya, Blue Lock), Nanatsu, and Fire Force. WSM without a doubt has my favorite lineup of all of the weekly magazines. Gotoubun, Kishuku and Senryuu Girl would be my top 3 of the current lineup. Still hoping Mako-san will get translated one day, although the translator would probably have to be pretty confident considering the chapters are pretty text-heavy.

Weekly Shonen Sunday: This one's a bit of a mixed bag. My avid follows are Amano Megumi, Komi-san, Tonikaku Cawaii, Sheriff Evans, Maoujou, Maiko, and Ponkotsu. I also keep decent tabs on Switch, Ariadne, Undine, Kimi, Yukosae, and Gofun. Although I follow a pretty good number, it's pretty sad to see the state of the sales of most of these series. I feel like most definitely deserve to be selling at least a bit higher than what they currently are.

Weekly Shonen Champion: Rokudou no Onna-Tachi, Beastars, and Iruma are without a doubt my top 3 and are some of my favorite currently-running series overall. I also like Atsumare and Ashigei quite a bit too.

Weekly Young Jump: Kaguya-sama and its spinoff series are really my only avid follows here. I also read Shadows House and Momo a bit and they're ok, and I read the untranslated chapters of Maid to Hikkomuse since I'll follow SankakuHead to the ends of the Earth thanks to Umaru lol.

Weekly Young Magazine: Its thread doesn't get discussed on here too much, but there are actually a few pretty nice things running right now. I really find Nande koko ni sensei ga!? to be pretty funny with the sheer absurdity of the series, same with Hen na Chishiki ni Kuwashii Kanojo: Takayukashiki Souko-san. Besides that, Parallel Paradise actually having an interesting plot was the biggest shocker for me when I first started it. Tejina Senpai and Sounan desu ka? are both pretty good and have pretty nice anime adaptation out right now. Gyaru to Kyouryuu is a gem and I hope the translations start up again. Hantsu x Trash I've also slowly been reading up on.

Bessatsu Shonen Magazine: Tenju no Kuni, Flying Witch, Shouraiteki ni Shinde kure, Araburu Kisetsu no Otomedomo yo, Jun to Kaoru, and Sekai ka Kanojo ka Erabenai. The first 4 are my active follows, and the latter 2 are passable.

Jump SQ: Kono Oto Tomare! is my main read from this magazine. Thank goodness for the anime since I would've never tried the manga without it, and the manga is much better than the anime. I'll also occasionally look at Dokyuu ****** H×Eros and Dark Gathering (mostly just to figure out what this one's about haha).

Gessan: Takagi-san, Misoshiru de Kanpai, and Sensei wa Koi wo Oshierarenai are my avid follows. I know most people know Takagi already, but everyone who knows that should also be aware of Misoshiru. It's just so sweet! I also read Takagi-san other works author's, Koi ni Koisuru Yukari-chan and Kunoichi Tsubaki no Mune no Uchi, along with Asoko de Hataraku Musubu-san as well.

Ultra Jump: Usagi-moku Shachiku-ka: the lonely only lol

Ura Sunday: The big 4 here are Jyaken San Wa Sugu Bureru, Ao no Orchestra, Danberu Nan Kiro Moteru? (Doga Kobo anime hype!), and Himitsu no Reptiles, with Yuusha-sama, Yukagen wa Ikaga desu ka? being something I occasionally catch up on.

Jump +: I used to follow a lot more on here, but with the axing of things like Saguri-chan and High Risk Mission Therapy, that amount is dwindling. I have been loving Spy x Family, Tokedase! Mizore-chan, Aharen-san wa Hakarenai, Shouwa Otome Otogibanashi, Slime Life, and Ao no Flag.

Magazine Pocket: Much like the other mediums (weekly and monthly magazines), I think I'm following the most from Kodansha's online platform as well. A lot of cute romances here; Fechippuru ~Our Innocent Love~, Ojousama no Shimobe, Ijiranaide, Nagatoro-san, Ponkotsu Fuukiin to Skaato take ga Futekisetsu na JK no Hanashi, Kawaii Dake Janai Onnanoko, and Arigatights!.

Young Animal: Asobi Asobase is absolutely hilarious, with Gal Gohan being a nice romcom. Ueno-san and Jiken Jaken are both fairly funny to catch up on now and again as well.

Monthly Gangan Joker: I need to have a special shoutout for Yonakano Reiji ni Haremu Wo!!. Not only is the series a real gem, but the author is actually a really nice person. I've talked with them on Twitter multiple times, and they're certainly passionate about their work. Jahy-sama is also really funny, and Vegan Dragon is decent as well.

Morning/Afternoon/Evening: Honestly, there hasn't been too much from these that I actively follow. Major exceptions are Afternoon's Oogami-san, Dadamore desu and Blue Period; these are seriously super great.

There's a lot more that I read up on, but not really from a magazine point of view. Those are more series that seem to magically pop up one day on Reddit or Mangadex that catch my interest. For some reason, I tend to read series that are still ongoing or haven't finished translations yet rather than completely read a series that's already completed, maybe because it's easier to fit reading piecemeal into my schedule. Hopefully there'll be some nice discussion here! :)

Jimmy Hollywood

初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been following these forums for about seven months now but I only made this account yesterday. So, I believe this thread is a perfect place to introduce my self. So here is my list:

WSJ: Boku no Hero, HxH (when it is off hiatus)

WSM: Seven Deadly Sins

WYJ: Golden Kamuy

Big Comic Spirits: Jagaaaaaan

Jump SQ: Seraph of the End, Platinum End

BSM: Shingeki no Kyojin

MSM: Noragami

V-Jump: Boruto

Young Ace: Bungou Stray Dogs

Comic@Bunch: Gangsta

Young Animal: Berserk

Aipom626

Reaction score
Country
United States
Out of the web platforms for the big 3 shonen magazine publishers, which one do you think currently has the best lineup of series: Jump+, Magazine Pocket, or Ura Sunday/Sunday Webry?

Jump+ seems like the frontrunner considering the large-scale investment in new series the platform has recently undertaken, coupled with the fact that larger portions of the are being simultaneously released on MangaPlus. However, while the Ura Sunday and Magazine Pocket platforms may not be quite as big or have the advantage of a platform like MangaPlus to translate their series, I think there's an increasing number of quality series in relation to the overall quantity.

An interesting thing I've noticed is that all 3 of these platforms seem to be moving toward serializations with more mature-content, whether that be violence or ecchi situations. It makes sense since there are less restrictions the publishers have to worry about with the content being published online and all, but I still found it a bit interesting to see this gradual progression.

MangAniMY

Reaction score
Country
Malaysia
Thanks to @revo68 for helping tl the list for me,

New Manga Magazine Circulation for the latest quarter Apr 2019 - Jun 2019 with previous quarter added for refference

Magazine
Jan 2019 -Mar 2019​
Apr 2019 - Jun 2019
Weekly Shonen Jump
1,692,000​
1,655,833​
Jump Square
172,000​
171,333​
Ultra Jump
30,667​
30,000​
Weekly Shonen Magazine
715,417​
692,083​
Monthly Shonen Magazine
299,567​
285,700​
Bessatsu Shonen Magazine
54,333​
57,667​
Monthly Shonen Sirius
14,867​
9,333​
Weekly Shonen Sunday
277,500​
263,333​
Monthly Shonen Sunday
21,000​
22,333​
Sunday GX
7,500​
7,500​
Sunday S
24,000​
21,333​
Monthly Corocoro Comic
623,333​
640,000​
Bessatsu Corocoro Comic Special
65,000​
87,500​
Corocoro Ichiban!
58,333​
51,667​
Weekly Young Jump
467,209​
466,075​
Grand Jump
165,783​
163,167​
Weekly Young Magazine
325,733​
325,083​
Afternoon
49,000​
44,167​
Evening
75,000​
72,800​
Morning
171,300​
168,575​
Morning two
11,600​
12,233​
Big Comic
271,000​
267,500​
Big Comic Original
465,833​
453,333​
Big Comic Spirits
129,167​
125,000​
Big Comic Superior
98,667​
94,000​
Monthly! Spirits
7,000​
5,500​
Young Animal
87,167​
85,040​
Comic Ran Twins
111,720​
111,953​
Comic Ran
179,537​
177,447​
Bessatsu Margaret
113,333​
103,333​
Margaret
32,800​
30,800​
The Margaret
26,000​
24,000​
Ribon
140,000​
139,200​
Nakayoshi
77,700​
72,817​
Bessatsu Friend
54,000​
48,333​
Sho-Comi
70,000​
68,333​
Betsu-Comi
23,000​
23,333​
Cheese!
30,333​
30,000​
Ciao
365,000​
336,667​
Hana to Yume
109,167​
106,000​
LaLa
104,333​
100,000​
LaLa DX
39,000​
36,500​
Cocohana
54,233​
53,400​
office YOU
47,000​
41,667​
Cookie
30,000​
27,000​
Kiss
60,733​
55,600​
Dessert
38,333​
36,000​
BE・LOVE
73,000​
69,333​
Petit Comic
66,667​
64,333​
Flowers
31,667​
32,333​
FEEL YOUNG
9,067​
8,633​
MELODY
35,000​
34,750​

source: https://www.j-magazine.or.jp/user/printed2/index

Last edited:

ruggia

Reaction score
Country
South Korea
Out of the web platforms for the big 3 shonen magazine publishers, which one do you think currently has the best lineup of series: Jump+, Magazine Pocket, or Ura Sunday/Sunday Webry?

Jump+ seems like the frontrunner considering the large-scale investment in new series the platform has recently undertaken, coupled with the fact that larger portions of the are being simultaneously released on MangaPlus. However, while the Ura Sunday and Magazine Pocket platforms may not be quite as big or have the advantage of a platform like MangaPlus to translate their series, I think there's an increasing number of quality series in relation to the overall quantity.
As much as I hate to admit it, Jump+ currently has the best overall lineup followed by Ura Sunday then Magazine Pocket. We've seen a lot more quality releases from Jump+ as the platform matured, and it definitely has gotten better at appealing to more mainstream audience.

Ura Sunday has sort of its own thing going with lot of its series being pretty niche and a strong core audience. Magazine Pocket right now is definitely the weakest in terms of quality, with most of its lineup revolving around fanservice and/or gore. This could just be the fault of the platform being too young as we've seen similar trends in the early days of Jump+, so we'll see how it evolves moving forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.