Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scruffy8642

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2016
Messages
1,129
Reaction score
1,057
Age
29
Country
Australia
1. Has the series' ranking been pretty consistent in all the time it has run so far or does it often end up towards the bottom?
2. Does it suffer from what I qualify as the "Black Clover effect" in that a battle occurs, no one can do anything about the enemy until the MC somehow shows up to defeat it, rinse and repeat. I mean the simplicity of Black Clover is most likely what made it popular but I have no interest in following a series with a similar pattern so was just wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen had a pattern similar to that?
1. It was pretty much only placed low before the first volume went on sale. It’s been high since.
2. Hm, I would say it has happened once or twice for specific reasons, but the manga isn’t really like that so don’t worry. It’s certainly not a “for my nakama” “win with guts” kind of series.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
So looking at this week's TOC I notice that Jujutsu Kaisen is pretty high up in the ranks. I haven't followed the TOC for Jump for a while so I didn't now about the series until a few weeks ago and I looked it up on honto.jp and saw the first 5 chapters of volume 1 were available for free so I decided to give it a quick read and the series looks pretty interesting. Though before HI decide to buy the set of the first 5 volumes I have a few questions.
1. Has the series' ranking been pretty consistent in all the time it has run so far or does it often end up towards the bottom?
2. Does it suffer from what I qualify as the "Black Clover effect" in that a battle occurs, no one can do anything about the enemy until the MC somehow shows up to defeat it, rinse and repeat. I mean the simplicity of Black Clover is most likely what made it popular but I have no interest in following a series with a similar pattern so was just wondering if Jujutsu Kaisen had a pattern similar to that?
1-it's not going anywhere, it ranks well and sells great and they're promoting it as one of the magazine stars
2-it's not like that, if the first 5 chapters grabbed you then you will probably like it because the fight and cast gets cooler as the story progress
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
1. It was pretty much only placed low before the first volume went on sale. It’s been high since.
2. Hm, I would say it has happened once or twice for specific reasons, but the manga isn’t really like that so don’t worry. It’s certainly not a “for my nakama” “win with guts” kind of series.
1-it's not going anywhere, it ranks well and sells great and they're promoting it as one of the magazine stars
2-it's not like that, if the first 5 chapters grabbed you then you will probably like it because the fight and cast gets cooler as the story progress
Thanks for the replies. I read Black Clover and honestly I noticed the "win with guts" really wasn't my thing and just stopped reading the series slightly before chapter 50 which in all the manga I've read is pretty unusual for me to drop a series that late and know I will most likely not read it again because it doesn't interest me anymore.
I guess I'll give the first few volumes a try and see how it goes from there.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
Thanks for the replies. I read Black Clover and honestly I noticed the "win with guts" really wasn't my thing and just stopped reading the series slightly before chapter 50 which in all the manga I've read is pretty unusual for me to drop a series that late and know I will most likely not read it again because it doesn't interest me anymore.
I guess I'll give the first few volumes a try and see how it goes from there.
Try Chainsaw Man as well. It's also sticking around and does a lot of things I think you'd like.
 

James Rye

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 18, 2014
Messages
2,019
Reaction score
6,506
Age
37
Gender
Male
Country
Germany
Thanks for the replies. I read Black Clover and honestly I noticed the "win with guts" really wasn't my thing and just stopped reading the series slightly before chapter 50 which in all the manga I've read is pretty unusual for me to drop a series that late and know I will most likely not read it again because it doesn't interest me anymore.
I guess I'll give the first few volumes a try and see how it goes from there.
I stopped reading BC at ch.26-28 when Asta got his 2nd sword because he wasn't able to beat the OP opponent with his first sword so ofc he gets trashed through a wall, finds a second swords and wins the battle because two swords are better than one if you are a MAGE. After that I was like, this is too stupid and convenient, etc. But now a lot of people seems to like it, so maybe I give it another chance though I won't read 100+ chapters till it gets to the good part, that's just too much.
 

WyldViolet

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 25, 2012
Messages
4,105
Reaction score
5,852
Age
33
Country
United States
I stopped reading BC at ch.26-28 when Asta got his 2nd sword because he wasn't able to beat the OP opponent with his first sword so ofc he gets trashed through a wall, finds a second swords and wins the battle because two swords are better than one if you are a MAGE. After that I was like, this is too stupid and convenient, etc. But now a lot of people seems to like it, so maybe I give it another chance though I won't read 100+ chapters till it gets to the good part, that's just too much.
It's still stupid. It's just better at being stupid.
 

Nakura

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
May 25, 2016
Messages
1,564
Reaction score
2,181
Age
30
Country
Ireland
Haven't really posted much recently, so... I'm actually pretty behind on most manga in the magazine unfortunately. I haven't had much time. I've only been reading MHA and KnY every week. Both have been pretty good. Writing in MHA is a tad iffy for me, but Horikoshi's art is the best in the magazine. Making it a mission to catch up on the series I either fell behind on(Black Clover, Hinomaru Zumou), and the series that I've read about 20 chapters of(Jujutsu, Act-age).

Currently catching up on Jujutsu right now. Thing that sticks out to me the most about it is how great the fights are. They have a fantastic flow and energy to them, which I haven't experienced in quite some time from Jump. Really digging it. Very Bleach-esque.

I've really read nothing from the new series, aside from the first chapter of Beast Children(which was just okay, not much of an interest). I'll probably try out Chainsaw Man soonish.

About Hinomaru, I'm sad that it's gone. It was honestly my favourite series in the magazine. It's a shame that it doesn't have a more fulfilling end from what I've heard, and that it will more than likely just be wrapped up in a light novel. Still though, an incredibly solid sports series. I'm happy that Kawada was at least able to last that long in the magazine. Hope he comes back soon.
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
Anyone heard about Kinnikuman returning to SJ? Is that true?
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
Looks like I was wrong to give TSS the benefit of the doubt. It managed to get the one slot in the bottom 5 of the TOC that wasn't pretty much unofficially permanently filled. The real question now will be if it falls below Yui Kamio or if it'll manage to break its way into the middle of the TOC. As for when the next serialization round starts up, it definitely doesn't feel like Saiyuki will last over 5 more chapters. I could be wrong since they could've easily slow the story back down again if they wanted to for some reason, but otherwise, I say it'll be done before then.


only the prologue will be in GIGA

Yoco Akiyama is a great mangaka, her work on Saguri-chan was great
the fact she managed to draw color pages for every single chapter is amazing

it's a bummer that she will go to Saikyo, one of the few Jump magazines without a digital release

Jump should be careful of how they treat her Square Enix/Manga UP are trying to steal her this there comment under her Nier Automata fanart
they probably want her to make a 2B manga (which could be amazing not gonna lie lol)

Darn it, that's a real shame. Her color pages are so amazingly detailed that I really wanted to see her get another series where she could flex those artistic powers she possesses, but since it's MHA, I'm sure she'll be able to bring in some nice cash flow for awhile. Hopefully one day she'll be back again with another original series.
 

King Moe

Banned
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Mar 29, 2018
Messages
5,924
Reaction score
3,413
Age
31
Country
United States
It had a oneshot few weeks ago, that was the return.
Ah I see. Saw something on website on Kinnikuman so thought it brought it back.
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
Someone told me TPN surpassed BNHA in sales?

Is this true?
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Kamio Yui Vol 1 seems to be hated by some Amazon readers (at least the 9 ones that bothered to review it)
 

Arjuna

The Emperor Who Rules the World
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2015
Messages
16,366
Reaction score
25,476
Age
31
Gender
Male
Country
India
It did from looks of Oricon Ranking at half of year if I remember
I was meaning by overall sales,I know oricon sales.


Yes and look at the sales soon Kimitsu no Yaiba will surpass MHA too.
Kimetsu really?Last time someone in this thread said it's still far for KNY to surpass BNHA.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
Someone told me TPN surpassed BNHA in sales?

Is this true?
Yes, but MHA's peak is still above

TPN 14 - 587,099 (1 month)
MHA 23 - 542, 232 (1 month)
MHA 21 - 592,395 (1 month)
Yes and look at the sales soon Kimitsu no Yaiba will surpass MHA too.
Lol KnY cant even break 400k a month
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top