Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I’ll be honest, I wish the Spy x Family covers had more going on to them. But goddamn, 350k in one volume. Could it reach a million before Volume 3 comes out?
Well assuming the volumes sell as well or even better than they did now for the next 2 volumes and that the volumes in print stays around 300-350k then yeah it'll reach a million copies in print by then.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
no commentary lazy
HQ is dropping crazy. It is quite remarkable how almost every series (big or small) that has not had an anime in a while displays this same trend.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
no commentary lazy





extra

Current Volumes Data (September 2019)
Code:
**|Week 1 (F)|Week 2 |Week 3 |Week 4 |Week 5 ┃OriconLTD(DIP)┃Pub. Date |Title
*1|*260748(5)|*356785|-------|-------|-------┃*,260,748(*12)┃2019/09/04|Haikyuu!! 39
*2|**70467(5)|**93975|-------|-------|-------┃*,*70,467(*12)┃2019/09/04|We Never Learn 13
*3|**68740(5)|**93266|-------|-------|-------┃*,*68,740(*12)┃2019/09/04|Dr.Stone 12
*4|**66245(5)|**92650|-------|-------|-------┃*,*66,245(*12)┃2019/09/04|Act–Age 8

Kimetsu no Yaiba

Code:
|Week 1(F)|Week 2|Week 3|Week 4|Week 5┃OriconLTD (DIP)┃Pub. Date |Title
|******(3)|------|------|------|------┃*,589,928(1200)┃2016/06/03|Kimetsu no Yaiba 1<16,966
|*16323(4)|------|------|------|------┃*,565,675(1138)┃2016/08/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 2
|*25967(6)|------|------|------|------┃*,554,393(1077)┃2016/10/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 3
|*21815(3)|------|------|------|------┃*,545,188(1018)┃2016/12/02|Kimetsu no Yaiba 4
|*41476(3)|*65822|------|------|------┃*,545,853(*927)┃2017/03/03|Kimetsu no Yaiba 5
|*65937(6)|*84742|------|------|------┃*,551,156(*867)┃2017/05/02|Kimetsu no Yaiba 6
|*57083(3)|*96527|------|------|------┃*,534,742(*773)┃2017/08/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 7
|*81312(5)|109936|122681|------|------┃*,531,389(*712)┃2017/10/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 8
|*89077(7)|110729|******|130267|------┃*,521,339(*651)┃2017/12/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 9
|*65861(3)|118511|133976|------|------┃*,519,168(*563)┃2018/03/02|Kimetsu no Yaiba 10
|113325(7)|135313|******|153976|------┃*,520,554(*469)┃2018/06/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 11
|*64061(3)|118990|138412|------|------┃*,512,468(*409)┃2018/08/03|Kimetsu no Yaiba 12
|*74425(3)|129051|146318|------|------┃*,507,121(*318)┃2018/11/02|Kimetsu no Yaiba 13
|*78819(3)|126981|145143|******|160110┃*,493,201(*255)┃2019/01/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 14
|107041(4)|159717|183206|198458|214609┃*,499,523(*165)┃2019/04/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 15
|225102(4)|302423|337978|357346|384400┃*,511,424(**74)┃2019/07/04|Kimetsu no Yaiba 16
|*51963(4)|******|******|******|119215┃*,222,175(**74)┃2019/07/05|Kimetsu no Yaiba Official Fanbook Demon Corp Records
How the heck is Dr Stone still below 100k sales even with an anime. I guess it can be said the series is popular but not a big hit.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

HQ is dropping crazy. It is quite remarkable how almost every series (big or small) that has not had an anime in a while displays this same trend.
I'm actually wondering how much the volumes sells in digital to now if the drop, can at least be a little bit attributed to people buying digitally and not necessarily physical volumes, though I know if won't explain the big drop series in that case have.
 

RafGL

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 4, 2019
Messages
1,007
Reaction score
5,867
Age
25
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
How the heck is Dr Stone still below 100k sales even with an anime. I guess it can be said the series is popular but not a big hit.
Doing basically the same as We Never Learn and Act-Age without anime. Yikes.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Doing basically the same as We Never Learn and Act-Age without anime. Yikes.
What's weird is that as far as I know Boichi had the same number of sales when he did Sunken Rock which had 1,5 million copies in print by volume 15


I just don't get how despite getting into Jump Boichi can still have such "low" sales for a pretty well known manga with an anime when other mangas without an anime sell more than Dr Stone.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I did use the ignore option for a while but you know what ? This guy got his TOC post pinned, Everyone in here is reacting to the TOC except me.
So I suggest that as soon as the mod see the TOC, he copy the thing and pin his own post. This way everyone can see it
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Story-wise it might be decent but the characters design makes me not interested at all (Big mom for example).
Ah oke gotcha, I had that problem too when I first saw one piece (but I was a teen that thought it was just too dorky). But that's what make one piece so unique
 

Kolbe

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2019
Messages
150
Reaction score
338
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
I’ll be honest, I wish the Spy x Family covers had more going on to them. But goddamn, 350k in one volume. Could it reach a million before Volume 3 comes out?
Really? I love how simple they are. That clean design is really aesthetic to me.

And as someone who has read the entire thread in a few days, I really got tired to see the same person being advised a thousand times about the same subject just to inevitably bring it back again after a few days. You guys know who I am talking about.
Please, even the adm asked for you to stop, don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again
 

El Jacco

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
May 31, 2019
Messages
342
Reaction score
2,920
Gender
Male
Country
Mexico
I think its better for the thread to stop talking about it and stop feeding the obvious troll(s) from now on.

My opinion on the covers: I actually like the S8 ones, they seem really appealling on the way they are structured. The SxF one, while I like the simplistic way that was the first one, this feels to be having a lot of emptiness and the color background still doesnt do any favors.
 

Thundercat27

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 25, 2019
Messages
1,116
Reaction score
2,027
Gender
Male
Country
The Wall
I am not a fan of the color SxF used for background.
Would love it if the author change the background color to suit with the character who is in it.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
They will print a bit more for volume 1 of spy. My guess is 750k copies in print when volume 2 drops.
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
I did use the ignore option for a while but you know what ? This guy got his TOC post pinned, Everyone in here is reacting to the TOC except me.
So I suggest that as soon as the mod see the TOC, he copy the thing and pin his own post. This way everyone can see it
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---



Story-wise it might be decent but the characters design makes me not interested at all (Big mom for example).

For me, it's because of two things: there's quite a lot of things in OP that hasn't aged well. Another is the story doesn't feel focused and having too many things happen all at once is just confusing. Plus, the absolute glacial pacing of the series.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Really? I love how simple they are. That clean design is really aesthetic to me.

And as someone who has read the entire thread in a few days, I really got tired to see the same person being advised a thousand times about the same subject just to inevitably bring it back again after a few days. You guys know who I am talking about.
Please, even the adm asked for you to stop, don't keep making the same mistakes over and over again
I’m warming up to it - I like this cover more than the previous one because of the contrast in colors - though as someone said earlier, I wish they changed the background color to something better. It’s kind of dull.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I'm actually wondering how much the volumes sells in digital to now if the drop, can at least be a little bit attributed to people buying digitally and not necessarily physical volumes, though I know if won't explain the big drop series in that case have.
I don't like the topic of digital sales since we dont have figures especially given how Shueisha chief's numbers are below the market average.
More over, I don't think people who've bought 30+ volumes of their fav series will just stop purchasing physical prints altogether. It would make sense if they start a new series and choose to go digital for those. If you collect physical stuff of anything, you'd want the whole set especially if you've already invested so much money already.
 

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
KnY backlog boost is impressive, i have never seen something like this.
 

OtterBrigade

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2018
Messages
2,112
Reaction score
3,057
Age
33
Country
Canada
I don't like the topic of digital sales since we dont have figures especially given how Shueisha chief's numbers are below the market average.
More over, I don't think people who've bought 30+ volumes of their fav series will just stop purchasing physical prints altogether. It would make sense if they start a new series and choose to go digital for those. If you collect physical stuff of anything, you'd want the whole set especially if you've already invested so much money already.
I've started buying digital and if it's a series I like that much buying on sale physically which wouldn't count for these charts. Usually still ends up cheaper here but idk about Japan.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
KnY backlog boost is impressive, i have never seen something like this.
Yes it is impressive but have you not seen OP's Strong World Boost? AOT? Magi? TG? Haikyuu? KnB? You have a KNB avatar for crying out loud. Plenty of titles have done this, this type of boost isnt new.

I dont get why people are acting like Kimetsu is the first series to get a big boost of this scale when there's clearly other titles that did so & better. Maybe its because Kimetsu started out so small but then I would point towards Magi...I think Magi is the more recent series that resembles Kimetsu's success in the fact that Magi pre-anime sales did more or less the same as Kimetsu's pre-anime sales but Magi ended up with a bigger boost. I would argue Magi is a lot more impressive given that it's a Sunday title & I believe the anime sold just as well as Kimetsu's (plus the Magi anime wasnt adapted that well but decent enough I guess lol).
 
Last edited:

Franz

Registered User
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Joined
Mar 7, 2015
Messages
12,555
Reaction score
11,297
Age
33
Gender
Male
Country
Italy
Just a question, did you think the first five volumes of a manga are sufficient to determine its quality ?
 

Newkerzy

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Nov 22, 2008
Messages
7,561
Reaction score
5,412
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
Indonesia
Just a question, did you think the first five volumes of a manga are sufficient to determine its quality ?
I would actually give it three volumes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top