Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Hell, I remember the KnY vs. Yuuna talking points back in the day. Either way, it is nice to see a series come from humble beginnings to huge success.

I hope it's something we see again soon
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I remember when it had like 17 chapters, being the underdog of jump. Now being the biggest shonen mainstream anime of history. Yes that's so crazy cuz to be honest, first reading the manga in the beginning. I wasnt amazed or something, it was an manga i just could enjoy for being tragically kind mc overcoming dark struggles trying to protect and save his sister.

Same for the anime, i thought it would just be a known shonen anime. But thanks to ufotable, kimetsu is really something to look out for, for anime only fans and hell.. even us manga fans are surprised af
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
Hell, I remember the KnY vs. Yuuna talking points back in the day. Either way, it is nice to see a series come from humble beginnings to huge success.

I hope it's something we see again soon
Same :XD. I also remember the endless discussions me & Cody had with what studio should animate Kimetsu. I remember the fear for Pierrot/Toei was real for us. It is nice to see for sure.
 

Stivie

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
3,120
Reaction score
2,340
Age
37
Country
Brazil
will we never learn will end soon? By this week's chapter the story seems to be in a climax.
 

TheEroSennin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
49
Age
25
Country
Saudi Arabia
Now being the biggest shonen mainstream anime of history
Imo nothing match the hype around the ending of the 4th ninja war arc.
I jumped into the Naruto hype train then, Everyone couldn't shut up about it
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
Continuing with Kimetsu, I... honestly didn’t expect it to grow this big. Like I thought it would grow decently in sales and be one of the most popular seasonal anime within anime circles, but... manga sales competing with and possibly even surpassing the big boys in HeroAca, Neverland, and Haikyuu? And making quite possibly the biggest Western splash since HeroAca? Goddamn. Episode 19 certainly did wonders for it.
 

Kaizoku_82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
226
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
I wish Rokudenashi Blues got an anime adaptation, not just those OVAs, but a full adaptation of the manga, sadly, I don't think that's ever happening...
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
my vote for the poll is others
I want Moeru! Oniisan anime

OFFU!

her group did Saiki Kusou second OP and the ED for the second season
I guess they met then?

anyway, congrats Asou sensei

Just a question, did you think the first five volumes of a manga are sufficient to determine its quality ?
hmm, first of all quality is subjective, it's better to judge series by "do you want to read more of it or not"
and by that standard 5 volumes is too much
you should know if you like something enough to follow it before reading 50 chapters of it

Kimetsu stands out because people are posting and focusing on the sales info every week. Nobody really does that usually.

Also because it was pretty comparable to Black Clover before in popularity and sales so a lot of us were expecting a similar sized boost, where it'd grow a bit but stay as a mid-magazine series rather than catapulting to being a front runner.

Speaking of being a new front-runner WSJ is in an odd situation right now where they've essentially got a Big 5 face series. OP is #1 as ever, MHA is the clear #2, but Haikyuu's dropped while Neverland and Kimetsu have grown to the point that the 3 are all pretty much at the same level.

and then there's the all the flops at the bottom too giving the magazine a weird balance.

top - OP, MHA, Haikyuu, Neverland, Kimetsu
mid - Black Clover, Dr Stone, WNL, Yuuna
new-ish and growing - Act-age, Jujutsu, Chainsawman
new flops - Yui, Beast, Shinobi, Taisei, Samurai 8?

it's pretty even at each tier, granted OP is really it's own lever and Black Clover is I think a little bigger than the other mids but still.
I would say JJK is a more important title for Jump than any of the ones you put in the mid tier

Sorry for being anti-climatic, but it is useless daydreaming about something that will never happen, only remembering Magico cancellation makes me depressed, so I am not going to vote on this one.
*dabs on you*



Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
I followed it from chapter 1, I started reading it because I read all Jump manga, it hooked me when Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up
I liked it before, but it was getting formalic, a-Tanjiro kill demon b-demon has sad backstory c-Tanjiro shows kindness to demon
those 2 were a very welcomed addition
 
Last edited:

Chuck_Atlas

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 30, 2018
Messages
1,083
Reaction score
1,557
Country
Peru
Gotta admit I am quite ashamed with myself for not having continued keeping up with Kimetsu back then. I really got interested with the artwork so I wanted to give it a try, ended up only reading around the first 10 chapters and so on and even enjoying them, seriously those first 3 chapters are some of the best start Ive read in a while, it really looked like something I would enjoy, specially with Gintama in middle of its Final arc. And for whatever reason I put it on hold and only kept postponing it and so on
 
Last edited:

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Exaggeration much? This is the only week in which all volumes were in the top 30 and once again its because it has an ongoing anime to coincide with the reprints its impressive because we haven't seen the boost period took hold of the top 50 due to shows like MHA S1 and TPN being 1-cour, the last time this came about was Haikyuu S1 which was also 2-cour.


Yeah it just had a much bigger per volume average than Kimetsu and the reason why all the volumes didn't make the top 30 was because of the much bigger threshold back then and not being stacked amongst big releases like KnB was that's why next month is going to be interesting with it being shacked up against One Piece and TPN alongside the anime's conclusion to see if it'll continue selling at the rate it has been.


Because most people didn't actually start caring about the series until like a month ago so it comes off as disingenuous to the people who have been following its sales growth for three years now. A lot of people predicted that it would have a boost of this magnitude a year prior due to its already steady growth rate and the fact that the series already had a sizable following online (Its anime announcement trended on Japanese twitter) what wasn't expected was seeing how receptive Westerners were going to be towards it since its manga sales in the US were pretty bad initially but now has grown significantly since the anime started. Nobody is saying that Kimetsu's sales aren't great and its fine to praise it but don't try to pretend its anything significant especially in a year where Hepburn: Go-Tōbun went from being an unknown entity to one of the biggest properties Magazine has published since NnT and the biggest romance manga in years.
My mistake, i shouldn't say "the most impressive", but "One of the most impressive boosts".

And i started reading KnY since the first chapter translated.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
my vote for the poll is others
I want Moeru! Oniisan anime
I just discovered it actually had an anime, I always thought those were just ovas
anyway, changing answers to Rising Impact
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
I wish Rokudenashi Blues got an anime adaptation, not just those OVAs, but a full adaptation of the manga, sadly, I don't think that's ever happening...
Why do you think that?
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
I followed it from chapter 1, I started reading it because I read all Jump manga, it hooked me when Zenitsu and Inosuke showed up
I liked it before, but it was getting formalic, a-Tanjiro kill demon b-demon has sad backstory c-Tanjiro shows kindness to demon
those 2 were a very welcomed addition
zenitsu is currently my favorite character in the manga. I watched episode 24 of the anime today on Netflix about the training they have with the pillars and I couldn't stop laughing when Zenitsu started b****ing about Inosuke and Tanjiro being lucky for being able to touch girls. Half of the episode was basically him ranting, it was awesome.
 

Tamil

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Apr 12, 2016
Messages
4,125
Reaction score
5,841
Country
Winterfell
zenitsu is currently my favorite character in the manga. I watched episode 24 of the anime today on Netflix about the training they have with the pillars and I couldn't stop laughing when Zenitsu started b****ing about Inosuke and Tanjiro being lucky for being able to touch girls. Half of the episode was basically him ranting, it was awesome.
Zentisu was my fav too at the start too but with characters like Uzui/Rengoku/Tokito/Mitsuri its tough to decide who's my fav.
 

pamuchi

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jul 31, 2019
Messages
1,202
Reaction score
3,654
Age
29
Gender
Female
Country
Mexico
Speaking of KNY, for those of you who've been following the series since the very beginning, what got you so hooked into the series? For those who didn't follow the series when it started which arc got you to follow the series?

I personally started reading the series pretty late when it was around chapter 120 but I started following the series at around chapter 70-80 during the Red Light District arc, which was the arc that got me interested in the series. I saw a chapter back then in WSJ and though the series looked interesting and decided to look at a few more chapters after that before I actually started reading it.
Result, I now have 10 volumes of the series and plan to buy volumes 11-16 and get back to reading it with volume 17 since that's around where I stopped with scans.
Not from the very beginning tho but I started reading it when the Smith arc was at its climax. I think my motivation to keep reading it weekly and becoming a fan of this series it's simply because I enjoy the ride and the characters. I'm happy for its success and all that, and I think that from a fan perspective, it gives you a pleasant experience that the series you been following before the anime, it's now a big thing. I honestly didn't expect it would be this big.

Quick edit:
My faves are Inosuke, Kanao and Giyuu, but my top favorite it's definitely Giyuu.
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Might as well give my take on it....

My introduction to Kimetsu started by browsing the translation threads on /a/ mostly casually reading it until the Spider arcs where I became a fan. I'm not surprised to see that the series reception changed when Zenitsu came into the picture because the first half of the series is very dry in execution but it feels moreso like a Golden era manga with its very "frankness" of its setup which is what drew me in. Its definitely my favorite of the current lineup in Jump now that WT is in SQ because of how confident Getouge's art and writing are conveyed in every chapter, its very consistent albeit also extremely formulaic which is why I'm surprised how so many people got attached it despite it being a very basic shounen with a very appealing aesthetic.
 
Last edited:

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Its definitely my favorite of the current lineup in Jump now that WT is in SQ
How would you rank them favorite to least favorite overall?
 

ChocoBar9

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Jan 29, 2008
Messages
2,955
Reaction score
2,573
Gender
Male
Country
United States
OP's chapter isnt even officially out and its already trending...
Seriously whats up with that? Its been trendin in the US every week since the end of Act 2.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

How would you rank them favorite to least favorite overall?
Kimetsu
Haikyuu
One Piece
MHA
Chainsawman
Jujutsu
Act-Age
Dr. Stone
Neverland
Black Clover
Samurai 8
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top