Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
I forgot to comment, but Dr. Stone still not able to reach 100k even after 3 months with the anime and all the hype and promotion? lol So much for the "new face of Shounen manga" right Editor-san? :P



Actually is not one day, the big mangas get released very early during the night of Thursday to Friday and the official releases are on Sunday, so is basically 2 days and half. Today i read most of Jump mangas on the Manga Plus but One Piece, nah, it hurts my soul everytime i read "Zolo", i just can't...

And to point one thing, this "higher image quality" is really debatable, there's some chapters that i read on my phone in the app that you barely gives a extra zoom and the image and texts get blurry while if i do the same with the scan version, i can zoom the hell out of it and still good.
higher image quality means that they don't have to clean/redraw the image. On both Viz/M+ they compress the image so the load is faster and it can scale better (since it has like what 300,000 active user each month?)
You can see a huge difference between clean Dr Stone and redraw Dr Stone (also Tokyo Ghoul too).
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
legit if no one reports that it's trending i would have waited like always. :emocat Curiosity kills the cat.
but yeah it's MAD HYPE though.
Same I ended up reading part of the chapter, mostly the end and was like WTF. But gonna read it with a better translation on Monday.
 

Kaizoku_82

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Mar 12, 2019
Messages
100
Reaction score
226
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Why do you think that?
I remember someone saying that Rokudenashi Blues did not get an anime because of it's delinquent theme and the way it was handled, who was very unsettling for parents and that just the manga made Jump receive several calls saying it was inappropriate and beyond limits, can't 100% confirm if it's true, but if someone with more experience can, I think that's something that, even today, you can't get past very well.


legit if no one reports that it's trending i would have waited like always. :emocat Curiosity kills the cat.
but yeah it's MAD HYPE though.
I usually don't read chapters separately, I do all of the 18 I read at once, but One Piece has been recently so good it's becoming a challenge, and this week it did not disappoint again, mad hype indeed.
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
The leaks made more sense to me when we all had to wait half a year to read the official version in English.

But now it's like... if you wait one (1) day, you'll get to read a better translation of the chapter with a higher image quality, for free. At the exact same time the chapter officially hits Japanese shelves, and in a way that reading it supports the mangaka and publisher.

That's too long a wait, I guess.
Some VIZ translations aren't that great tbh, some people actually read the MS version for certain series because the VIZ translations are that bad
 

SalesNerd69

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
May 23, 2019
Messages
196
Reaction score
211
Age
28
Country
India
Who in your opinion is the best pure ARTIST to ever be in the main magazine? Judge them on their art while they were in the main magazine so if they improved greatly afterwards while publishing elsewhere, don't count it
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Who in your opinion is the best pure ARTIST to ever be in the main magazine? Judge them on their art while they were in the main magazine so if they improved greatly afterwards while publishing elsewhere, don't count it
For me, Tite Kubo. I know people complain about his lack of backgrounds and sameface, but in terms of pure aesthetically pleasing character designs, he's the best.

There's probably others I'm forgetting, but he's the one that immediately jumps to mind.
 

Ottes

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 25, 2019
Messages
109
Reaction score
439
Age
24
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Who in your opinion is the best pure ARTIST to ever be in the main magazine? Judge them on their art while they were in the main magazine so if they improved greatly afterwards while publishing elsewhere, don't count it
Obata. Easy.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I dont think sales & quality correlate. How about you tell me if BEASTARS, HZ or Jigokuraku are selling equivalent to how great they are; they sure as hell arent. IMO all are S tier shonens with the former being arguably one of the best shonens of all time. Quality is subjective so it doesnt always correlate with sales
Actually, you're right.
Let me rephrase; Quality work that cater to the demographic and mainstream appeal will sell well. There are plenty of non WSJ manga out there that don't sell well but are stellar.

Well, I was talking about the physical market specifically, i.e the Oricon numbers which is what's usually discussed here. That same article you linked explains that the growth comes from the digital side while physical is going down. The MHA argument would work if there was anything else reaching the million, but even Kingdom is far from that. And of course Nakano wants more million-sellers. Why wouldn't he? Doesn't mean he can get them. I mean, are you saying that all the stuff that's on-going just so happens to not be as popular as all the stuff from back then? That's a little odd.

Why would you compare Toriko to Kimetsu? What about KnB, AssClass, peak Haikyuu, even Naruto and Bleach were still around in the early 2010s. I remember what people used to say about Toriko: That jump was pushing it and the sales, while good, weren't as good as expected. That's the same discourse you see nowadays with Dr. Stone., with barely 100K. And yet, Toriko's sales are still far above most stuff in the magazine, while even the top dogs not called One Piece struggle to just stay above 500K.

To make a real comparison we should list the current best-sellers in order and compare them to the best-sellers from, say, 5 year ago, and see if the situation has changed or not.
1. You said manga market. Hence my response with the link. I even said that market has been transitioning to digital. You are yet to answer what is WSJ's role in this transition to digital tho. Is it 50% or 30% or 1%? No one can answer this question and therefore the talk of digital is moot at this point.

2. Nakano would know more than you if a million + seller in today's "declining era" is attainable or not. If it's not, he would just outright say, million sellers are not possible in today's era unlike a decade ago. He never said that because, with all the information he has, he still believes its possible.

3. Yeah, I actually do think series of this generation aren't as big as two decades ago. BC isn't as popular as Reborn / Toriko / Nura. It's been on par with Beelzebub's debut and peak which is what I've always said. MHA isn't as popular as Bleach / Naruto / Gintama. TPN isn't as popular as AC.
MHA's anime has been out for what 3 years now? It has had two solo games one of which was for 3DS. Do you know how many games Bleach and Naruto got within few years of the anime? Bleach had 10 games within 2 years of its anime on various platforms. Got a trading card game and a rock musical (that became extremely popular and well received) within a year of the anime.
Okay, maybe comparing the franchises is stupid but then lets compare how the magazine itself reacted to the popularity. By chapter 160, Bleach was SO popular at it's peak, Ichigo's bankai reveal chapter got a full color chapter. One Piece, Naruto and KNB are the only other series that I'm aware of from the last two decades to get a full color chapter.
Yeah, I don't think they are on the same level and therefore their sales are not on the same level.
You bring in AC like as if THAT is a comparison. Assassination Classroom was EXTREMELY popular in Japan. I don't see that level of popularity for something like TPN which needed recommendations to keep growing whereas if I'm not mistaken AC's first two volumes did 1 million combined meaning each had a print of 500k. I remember they even made fireworks that took Koro-sensei's form because AC essentially became a celebrated franchise in Japan. You have no idea what you're comparing or what you're talking about.

The fact that you're comparing Toriko to something like Dr. Stone shows you're not aware of what you're talking about. Toriko had a fantastic debut week. Only AC had a better debut since it since then, and maybe MHA. Dr. Stone exists in the magazine for the same reason why HZ existed probably. Maybe its popular and liked but not well liked enough that people want to buy volumes to support it.

I compared Toriko with KNY to show that despite Toriko being a more "popular" series from launch, KNY still beat its peak and is still growing. Another reason I mentioned Toriko was how you mentioned things are "different" from a decade ago. So I brought in a series that started last decade.
How about we bring in WT? A series that came in 2013, had an incredibly slow growth prior to the anime and even during the anime (had a smaller and slower growth than BC did with the anime) following which it went on hiatus yet came back and has actually increased in sales (even higher than BC) despite being in a "declining era".

Or how about we take SxF? A digital series that is outselling half of the magazine right now in physical volumes. Where does that stand in your idea of a "declining era"?
No the situation has not changed, at least not in WSJ. The fact that a digital series is outpacing half the magazine just shows that maybe the stuff in the magazine hasn't gotten the attention of the demographic they were hoping for. By saying times have changed, you're grossly underestimating how popular the series of 00s were.

People want to desperately grasp onto stuff like changing market to explain the drop in sales for their favorite series (example HQ! or OP) but it's not that simple. If you've followed sales from the start, you'd know that declining sales after peaking is a VERY common occurrence. Especially for stuff like HQ that have not had an anime for years now. Prince of Tennis experienced similar drops JUST like HQ but I guess that's because it was also in a "declining era" back then? *shrugs*
/r
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Inoue, even though he has evolved a lot with vagabond, the last part of slam dunk had the best chapters of the magazine for me, art-wise.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
101nemesis brings up a point I wanted to bring up in the past but forgot about. When was the last time a series got a full color chapter in Jump, and if it happens again, which series do you think will get it? I believe it last happened with Naruto, and we all know One Piece will get it again before it concludes.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
101nemesis brings up a point I wanted to bring up in the past but forgot about. When was the last time a series got a full color chapter in Jump, and if it happens again, which series do you think will get it? I believe it last happened with Naruto, and we all know One Piece will get it again before it concludes.
KNB got it around the 200 chapter mark. I believe before that, it was only Bleach and then before Bleach was One Piece (Although I don't know which chapter).

Had MHA's quality been consistently on par with OFA vs AFO fight arc, it would've probably gotten one by now. But its quality dipped since that arc, so at this point I dont think any current series will get one.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,573
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
101nemesis brings up a point I wanted to bring up in the past but forgot about. When was the last time a series got a full color chapter in Jump, and if it happens again, which series do you think will get it? I believe it last happened with Naruto, and we all know One Piece will get it again before it concludes.
I don't think this is much big deal anymore with the digital version of Shonen Jump including a full color chapter every week, first it was Souma, Yuuna and now is Yaiba.
 

Belkac3m

Registered User
中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2018
Messages
164
Reaction score
185
Age
32
Country
Joker
Samurai 8 will be the next manga getting a full color chapter.
 

Koni

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2019
Messages
2,002
Reaction score
4,934
Age
27
Country
United States
KNB got it around the 200 chapter mark. I believe before that, it was only Bleach and then before Bleach was One Piece (Although I don't know which chapter).

Had MHA's quality been consistently on par with OFA vs AFO fight arc, it would've probably gotten one by now. But its quality dipped since that arc, so at this point I dont think any current series will get one.
I don’t think the quality would matter, honestly. Horikoshi’s probably really busy. Hell, MHA still has yet to receive a color page without a cover this year, and chapters have generally gotten shorter. I can’t really imagine him having the time to actually color a whole chapter.
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I don't think this is much big deal anymore with the digital version of Shonen Jump including a full color chapter every week, first it was Souma, Yuuna and now is Yaiba.
Are those done by the mangaka themselves? I more meant within the magazine, though.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
^ no, digital color team.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I don't think this is much big deal anymore with the digital version of Shonen Jump including a full color chapter every week, first it was Souma, Yuuna and now is Yaiba.
Different context tho. Having a full color chapter within the magazine basically shows how big that particular series is at that particular moment and how WSJ views it.
Full color chapters >> Covers >> CPs

Also, a mangaka being able to pull off a full color chapter on a normal week is praise worthy, tbh.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top