Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Different context tho. Having a full color chapter within the magazine basically shows how big that particular series is at that particular moment and how WSJ views it.
Full color chapters >> Covers >> CPs

Also, a mangaka being able to pull off a full color chapter on a normal week is praise worthy, tbh.
I don't know about Kubo, but you realise that Kishimoto and Fujimaki didn't made that by hand right? both were digitally colored, probably not even by them but by others.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
I don't know about Kubo, but you realise that Kishimoto and Fujimaki didn't made that by hand right? both were digitally colored, probably not even by them but by others.
Digital or traditional, it still takes time to color in your art aside from doing a weekly chapter.

I'd cut Kishimoto some slack solely because he had multiple covers and color pages before that final chapter and the final chapter was actually TWO chapters. So, dude was probably overworked by the end of it tbh. I don't think Kubo has ever gone digital with his art.

Also, unless it was stated somewhere that they didn't do the coloring, maybe we shouldn't start assuming it wasn't done by them?
 

TxxT

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 30, 2018
Messages
563
Reaction score
2,476
Country
Japan
101nemesis brings up a point I wanted to bring up in the past but forgot about. When was the last time a series got a full color chapter in Jump, and if it happens again, which series do you think will get it? I believe it last happened with Naruto, and we all know One Piece will get it again before it concludes.
OP is a given, HQ has been getting CPs left and right this year so I dont think its a stretch to say that Furudate will do the final chapter in full color if he's up for it, MHA is also possible
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Digital or traditional, it still takes time to color in your art aside from doing a weekly chapter.

I'd cut Kishimoto some slack solely because he had multiple covers and color pages before that final chapter and the final chapter was actually TWO chapters. So, dude was probably overworked by the end of it tbh. I don't think Kubo has ever gone digital with his art.

Also, unless it was stated somewhere that they didn't do the coloring, maybe we shouldn't start assuming it wasn't done by them?
Hmm, i don't know why you're being defensive, i'm just saying that Kuroko and Naruto were digitally colored and much probably wasn't colored by them since SJ has a team that do digital color, assuming stuff it's what everybody including you do here every week.
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,721
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
Digital or traditional, it still takes time to color in your art aside from doing a weekly chapter.

I'd cut Kishimoto some slack solely because he had multiple covers and color pages before that final chapter and the final chapter was actually TWO chapters. So, dude was probably overworked by the end of it tbh. I don't think Kubo has ever gone digital with his art.

Also, unless it was stated somewhere that they didn't do the coloring, maybe we shouldn't start assuming it wasn't done by them?
Kishimito didn't do the color by himself.

Chapter 700, along with most of naruto color was done by Artra Entertainment,
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Kishimito didn't do the color by himself.

Chapter 700, along with most of naruto color was done by Artra Entertainment,
Oh well, I stand corrected.
Doesn't change the fact that it was still a big power move and acknowledgment from WSJ about Naruto's status in the magazine.
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

Hmm, i don't know why you're being defensive, i'm just saying that Kuroko and Naruto were digitally colored and much probably wasn't colored by them since SJ has a team that do digital color, assuming stuff it's what everybody including you do here every week.
Not being defensive. It'd suck if they actually did the color and people gave credit to someone else.
 

Shinuki no Reborn

Mangahelper
伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
Mangahelper
Joined
Jul 6, 2011
Messages
15,503
Reaction score
39,571
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Funny thing is Oda directly criticized Shonen Jump in the authors comment at the time because they didn't gave the magazine cover for Naruto last chapter, like you gave two chapters, one full color but still not the damn cover?
 

Halloween

Formerly Buranchi
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Nov 20, 2013
Messages
2,545
Reaction score
6,845
Age
40
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Nobodies are going to meme at me, but my answer would be Togashi. His panelwork and ability to visually portray atmosphere is absolutely incredible.
When Togashi actually tries, I agree that he does a good job.

As an aside, it's good to see you again.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
I remember hearing somewhere around the time that Naruto was ending that Kishimoto wasn’t drawing the series (unofficially), but instead it was an assistant. Did anyone else hear anything about this or was this complete bull?
 

Mankichi Togawa

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Jun 26, 2014
Messages
5,550
Reaction score
15,717
Gender
Male
Country
Spain
This has been the easiest poll ever for me.

Rokudenashi Blues
 

TheEroSennin

Registered User
初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
34
Reaction score
49
Age
25
Country
Saudi Arabia
I remember hearing somewhere around the time that Naruto was ending that Kishimoto wasn’t drawing the series (unofficially), but instead it was an assistant. Did anyone else hear anything about this or was this complete bull?
I don't think that's true, Naruto is his life work. Dude had been drawing it on weekly basis for 15 years. Surely he won't slack off in the last few meters
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Funny thing is Oda directly criticized Shonen Jump in the authors comment at the time because they didn't gave the magazine cover for Naruto last chapter, like you gave two chapters, one full color but still not the damn cover?
It's almost like WSJ couldn't make up their mind if they wanted to give Naruto the cover but then went "How about we give you two chapters and a full color chapter instead?"
The only series I see getting a cover when it ends is OP, at this point. Then again, they didn't give Dbz cover either so I dunno.
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
It's almost like WSJ couldn't make up their mind if they wanted to give Naruto the cover but then went "How about we give you two chapters and a full color chapter instead?"
The only series I see getting a cover when it ends is OP, at this point. Then again, they didn't give Dbz cover either so I dunno.
Honestly if OP doesn't get a cover when it ends I won't understand anymore. Shueisha wouldn't be selling half the copies it is selling for WSJ if OP wasn't there.
 

101nemesis

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 16, 2012
Messages
3,086
Reaction score
7,183
Age
35
Gender
Male
Country
India
Honestly if OP doesn't get a cover when it ends I won't understand anymore. Shueisha wouldn't be selling half the copies it is selling for WSJ if OP wasn't there.
You'd think that would be a strong enough reason, right? But then you think about how WSJ hit its peak circulation because of DBZ and how DBZ became the strong starting point for WSJ (and for the manga and Anime industry) in becoming popular outside Japan and yet they didn't give it a cover. So I don't really know.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Hell, I remember the KnY vs. Yuuna talking points back in the day. Either way, it is nice to see a series come from humble beginnings to huge success.

I hope it's something we see again soon
one* of the biggest, worded it too extreme
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
You'd think that would be a strong enough reason, right? But then you think about how WSJ hit its peak circulation because of DBZ and how DBZ became the strong starting point for WSJ (and for the manga and Anime industry) in becoming popular outside Japan and yet they didn't give it a cover. So I don't really know.
True but it can also be said that OP now has the world record for most copies published by a single author, and got a cover for that

Also it's now the second longest most running series in the magazine after Kochikame which by the way got cover lead color pages for its final chapters, so I'm guessing OP will probably get the same treatment
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

This is pretty interesting, when looking at when recent WSJ series got their anime announcement, we can see that TPN got the announcement for its 88th chapter:
KNY got it the issue following TPN announcement for its 112th chapter:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/weekly-shonen-jump-2461-no-27-june-18-2018/4000-672113/
Dr Stone got it for its 83rd chapter:
https://comicvine.gamespot.com/weekly-shonen-jump-2484-no-51-december-3-2018/4000-692356/

Act Age and Jujutsu Kaisen being the next in line, it's possible we might see something for Act Age before the end of the year but I'm guessing we won't get anything for Jujutsu Kaisen until next year.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
I imagine there's a good chance we'll see one of Jujutsu or Act-age get an anime announced around Jump Festa in December, since they'll both be around ch 90 by that point.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top