Mag Talk Weekly Shonen Jump [2019] - Discussion and TOC Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caiops

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Apr 7, 2015
Messages
803
Reaction score
519
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
Weird chapter of Yozakura, it was rushed.
 

TJQ15

Registered User
下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
Joined
Aug 3, 2019
Messages
95
Reaction score
190
Age
28
Gender
Male
Country
United States
Is there a site where I can see all color pages a manga received?
I know if you go to the One Piece wiki, they have all of OP’s (not sure of the quality). I think the Naruto and Bleach wikis do as well.

Some of the manga have art books that contain many of them without text like I have the D. Gray-Man and Bleach ones that were released by Viz and my brother has one of the Naruto ones.
 

Thores

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Jul 18, 2019
Messages
255
Reaction score
865
Age
39
Gender
Male
Country
United States

Nemesis

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 26, 2013
Messages
1,706
Reaction score
1,826
Age
32
Gender
Male
Country
Brazil
So, anyone know why the chapters were out today instead of sunday again? Another holiday with jump getting out early?
 

TyVip

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Aug 30, 2015
Messages
2,720
Reaction score
2,814
Gender
Male
Country
Mariejoa
yes
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Overall this felt like an incredible issue this week I found mostly all of the chapters interesting.

Samurai 8 These past few weeks I've been the direction the series has been going and loved the chapter this week. The end of the chapter had me on the edge of my seat, hopefully the series continues to make interesting chapters this way.

Chainsawman the change of pace was really interesting, not having an action based chapter was really nice and I love the insight Fujimoto gives us into the the two main characters' hearts similarly to how he did it in Fire Punch.

Yozakura while the chapter was fast paced I understand why the author chose to go with a pace like that. Assuming the first volume for this series contains 7 chapters like most WSJ series do, I think we can expect this small arc to conclude for chapter 7-8 which could create some hype and interest in the series for people to buy the volume and then support the series in the magazine.

Haikyuu Awesome chapter which had me on the edge of my seat, can't wait to see all of this animated.

TPN That panel on the very last page of the chapter means something unexpected will happen, but overall this was a great chapter "all according to keikaku"

One Piece The news in this chapter were huge, I wonder how this is going to influence the story from now on. One Piece hasn't hyped me this much in a chapter in a while

Dr Stone good chapter, mostly focused on thinking for how the kingdom of science is going to proceed with the story after this chapter

Series I don't read but still looked at the chapters:

Jujutsu Kaisen looked at the chapter quickly since I don't really read the series for now. Somehow the MC reminds me of Kaneki. the panelling and the way each chapter progresses really reminds me of what Ishida Sui used to do with Tokyo Ghoul and I really love that in the series.

KNY that chapter looked awesome, can't wait for this arc to finally be released in the volumes

If I had to give a personal top three it'd be:

1 - One Piece, the chapter had me hyped this week
2 - TPN great chapter, waiting to see Norman's plan is gonna proceed like he wants to
3 - Samurai 8 really hard to choose the third place this week as this chapter could tie with Chainsawman and even KNY if I read the series. Still S8 had a great chapter the week in my opinion
 
Last edited:

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
I really hope Act-Age decides to actually explore the pit bottom of mental health when all is said and done. That is all.

Though I guess it would be in Weekly Young Jump if that was ever to happen.
I dont know how far the writer will go with health problems. but in RL An character like yonagi would hardly recover from this, it will cause alot of stress. But its shonen, so I guess they wont go that far :eyeroll. But oh God oh God, I cant wait for the next ch already :spaz
--- Double Post Merged, , Original Post Date: ---

I'm enjoying Yozakura, but I feel like it may be going too fast. The development of this chapter happened way too suddenly for me, was I the only one?
I'm fine with it, has to keep being interesting. Slow pace is gonna kill ur own franchise. (Look at S8 and beast children)
--- Double Post Merged, ---

Kamio Yui really gave some ending vibes which for me it's a waste, Shonen Jump already have 2 empty spots and 3 big flops to cancel, finishing Yui at this moment just for the sake of starting something that will possibly perform worst seems like a waste of talent, but Jump is the king of wasting talent...
Lol u find yui kamio good? :s
 

vinceled

Translator
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Aug 2, 2012
Messages
1,185
Reaction score
992
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
France
Lol u find yui kamio good? :s
Well to each their own tastes, I mean we all love series that others would not find particularly appealing.
Like I like series in the Sunday GX mag - which is one of my favorite mags btw - while a lot of people have no idea what this mag even is and what series are in there.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
I dont know how far the writer will go with health problems. but in RL An character like yonagi would hardly recover from this, it will cause alot of stress. But its shonen, so I guess they wont go that far :eyeroll. But oh God oh God, I cant wait for the next ch already
Yeah, this chapter made me wish Act-Age was a seinen. It could have done lots of things that way, but here it's going to be toned down. Sadly.
 

animeexpert

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Jun 1, 2019
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
1,269
Age
29
Country
Norway
Well to each their own tastes, I mean we all love series that others would not find particularly appealing.
Like I like series in the Sunday GX mag - which is one of my favorite mags btw - while a lot of people have no idea what this mag even is and what series are in there.
Yeh sure, I have no problem with personal taste but for the manga itself, Idk man. if we were living in 2013, sure.. but this manga is so outdated, the way of writing and all dont appeal in this gen. I knew it wouldnt survive when I saw it launch. I give props how great the mc is created.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Well to each their own tastes, I mean we all love series that others would not find particularly appealing.
Like I like series in the Sunday GX mag - which is one of my favorite mags btw - while a lot of people have no idea what this mag even is and what series are in there.
Sadly sales figures for the magazine back you up there. I at least read Vampeerz’s first volume from it.

I lost my point here, which is that i agree with the point about everyone liking different things. Like Beast Children is one of my four favourite series in this magazine, even if the reception of it doesn’t match that.
 

Jovan

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Dec 20, 2018
Messages
2,245
Reaction score
5,772
Age
29
Country
United States
Sadly sales figures for the magazine back you up there. I at least read Vampeerz’s first volume from it.

I lost my point here, which is that i agree with the point about everyone liking different things. Like Beast Children is one of my four favourite series in this magazine, even if the reception of it doesn’t match that.
Just saw Beast Children Vol 1 on Amazon and eek at that review score. Kind of surprising. Same thing for Tokyo Shinobi. Taisei seems to have been well receieved there on the other side.
 

Maxy Barnard

Manga Editor
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Oct 15, 2006
Messages
3,233
Reaction score
1,618
Age
36
Gender
Male
Country
United Kingdom
Just saw Beast Children Vol 1 on Amazon and eek at that review score. Kind of surprising. Same thing for Tokyo Shinobi. Taisei seems to have been well receieved there on the other side.
Amazon reviews are a special sort of crap when it comes to Jump manga. Pleasantly surprised to see Taisei’s avg though
 

NeeNeen

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
1,055
Reaction score
1,217
Country
United Nations
Poor Mitama, four chapters in and still struggling to get past the one-shots (M+). Seems like a pretty good candidate for the U19 club.

Yui Kamio feels like it's changing genres again. Don't know if this means that it's ending though.

Taisei also seems to be going down the comedy route now. It's... kind of losing me, to be honest. Misunderstandings were never my thing, and the last few chapters have been nothing but that.

And Beast Children still fails to really hold my interest. It might run a bit longer because of the Rugby Cup (or whatever it's called), but I'm pretty sure at least two of those four won't live to see the new year.
 

Konja9

Registered User
上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2015
Messages
472
Reaction score
451
Age
34
Gender
Male
Country
Peru
Yeah, this chapter made me wish Act-Age was a seinen. It could have done lots of things that way, but here it's going to be toned down. Sadly.
Even a Seinen could ignore the psychological consequences this situation should have for Yonagi.

It is true that Seinen has more freedom (sometimes) to deal with more serious issues and consequences than Shonen. However, that depends on whether the writer is interested in writing on the topic or not.

Seinen can treat the situation of Yonagi quite similar to how it is currently treated in a Shonen.
 

tirakai

Registered User
MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
Joined
Aug 7, 2016
Messages
5,297
Reaction score
7,333
Age
33
Country
Scotland
Double Taisei has been weirdly good recently (though the shogi side of it still sucks), it's too bad it didn't start this way. I think of the floppy 4 reiwa batch it's probably my favourite to read now.

It should've been a romcom or gag manga or even gag action series or something, the shogi really brings it down.
 

Aipom626

Registered User
英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
Joined
Oct 5, 2017
Messages
2,267
Reaction score
1,829
Country
United States
As for this week's chapters for the series that I read:

1. Double Taisei - Looking back on my post history, no one including myself would ever be able to comprehend that this would be my #1 pick for this week (and definitely in the top 3 the last few weeks). I was almost in tears from laughter the entire chapter. Ever since the introduction of the rivals, this series has been on a huge winning streak for me. The comedy is top-notch, the artwork fantastic, and the shogi battles were presented incredibly creatively. I'd love it if this series could pull the ultimate miracle and survive, but I sadly don't think that's going to happen with volume 1 sales that atrocious. Didn't the editor for the series switch roughly around chapter 10-ish? If this is the result of his guidance, he deserve a huge pat on the back.

Problem was the beginning of this series was the textbook definition of a hot mess, so all of the chapters contained in Volume 1 were pretty rough, and the volume 1 cover was pretty strange for my taste as well. Although this was probably the case, I hope it didn't turn too many potential readers off from the series before things got good. I don't think it'll get lucky like Act-Age did since 1) Act-Age started out selling much better and 2) the initial chapters of Act-Age weren't bad but then they jumped to being amazing. Tl;dr - Somehow save Double Taisei!

2. Act-Age - I was on the edge of my seat during that ending revelation. I'm super nervous for how this is going to play out not just for Yonagi, but for all of the other characters as well. Our supporting cast is pretty divided between the sides, and the stakes are pretty high for some of them since they have a lot to lose. The setup for their performances has been pretty brilliant in my opinion.

3. We Never Learn - Hard for me to pass up a chapter with so much best-girl Uruka. Can't wait to see how the testing ends up turning out for our cast of college hopefuls. The way they support each other and not just Yuiga is nice to see as well.

4. Mission: Yozakura Family - I can see where people were saying the start of the chapter seemed like a sudden shift from the previous one, but I thought it tied together naturally after taking into consideration what had actually happened to Taiyou. He's showing some nice development, and although he is noticeably growing, it's still being made apparent that he still has much work to do in order to be able to survive in their world. I thought it all came together nicely. Really looking forward to the next chapter.

5. Kamio Yui wa Kami wo Yui - This definitely felt like the first chapter of the final arc. However, the author did exactly what I wanted: he brought together most of the characters that were introduced in a coherent way (bonus points for it being a swimsuit chapter!). The artwork is still fantastic, and I'm curious to see how the series will handle its final arc. That one page that showed a bunch of girls who I'm assuming the author had planned to introduce over time caught my interest, not just because they were well-designed, but also that there weren't any guys. I'll never turn down a bunch of attractive girls in a series, but I don't recall it being stated anywhere that Mushi only possessed females (unless I missed that). Not a complaint, just curious if I missed a tidbit of info.

6. Chainsaw-Man - Needed more Power lol. But a serious note, this chapter was very heartfelt. I really felt bad for Denji at the end as he asked that question, but I really wish they could've shown a little bit more of the movie scene that moved him so much. I'm really curious to see more about what could've brought a guy such as him to tears. I don't read this series for the battles and gore that I think most others do, so it's always nice to see either Denji's shenanigans (with Power) or his genuine moments of character development.

7. Yuragi-sou no Yuuna-san - Not that I didn't like this week's chapter, but compared to the other series from WSJ that I follow that all had stand-out weeks, Yuuna felt like it played it safe in comparison. We got a little character growth from Sagiri, but besides the fanservice, that was about it. Sagiri has always been alright to me, but never my favorite character. It was a nice little chapter that I think could influence the way she interacts with Kogarashi
in the future in front of the other girls.

8. Mitama Security: Spirit Busters - I feel like each chapter gets a little bit better than the last, but it's still not better than "just alright" for me. I laughed a bit, but not as much as most of the series above this one. The spirits continue to be the best part of this for me.

Just seeing E-Robot in this list makes me happy the author is finally finding some success on Jump+ with Saotome Sisters. What he needed all along was a publishing environment where he could basically straddle the line between an ecchi romcom and straight-up ******. Some of those chapters have been pretty close to the boundary, but the absurdity of the censorship and scenarios really helps increase the humor factor.

As for this week's polling question, I selected Other in order to cast my vote for Samon-kun. I still believe that series could've grown if it would've been animated, but sadly it wasn't. Hopefully Numa Shun will be back soon, and I rather enjoyed the oneshot he just had on Jump+, so I wouldn't mind if he uses that story as his serialization.
 

Mammo

Registered User
有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity
Joined
Mar 20, 2015
Messages
4,755
Reaction score
8,897
Gender
Male
Country
Holy Britannian Empire
seeing that author comment page takes me back

to the time when Viz refused to pick up My Hero Academia despite it doing well in Japan with good toc placement and amazing first 2 volumes sales
meanwhile picking up the legendary Hi Fi Cluster immediately from ch1

and now MHA is Viz label best selling comic and no one remembers Hi Fi Cluster (except sharkbait)
that goes to show you Viz is filled with incompetent morons disguising as "manga experts"

some of their "experts" in their podcast have not read fucking Dragon Ball

when they launched M+ and had to do the entire magazine for their podcast most of the "experts" didn't now what were the titles, the characters, their plots
they jumped into the manga with the most recent chapters and assume they actually understand it!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top